Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #101
rowech
Pro Starter

Just finished 2nd episode and color me less than impressed. I'm finding this to be pretty blah to be honest. Stunning visually and great atmosphere but just blah.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #102
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's missing the connection that BoB had. I may like it hen all is said and done but I think I will need to read up on the Pacific Theater asmuchas possible and then watch again to get enough out of it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #103
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Maybe the awesomeness will wear out more for me as the season goes on but my connection to the show comes from some military fiction I read years ago. The Corps series by W.E.B. Griffin. His writing on Guadalcanal was fucking awesome and ever since then I have loved reading about Guadalcanal. My knowledge on the rest of the pacific theatre is shaky so we'll see what happens.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #104
Bad-example
College Starter

It is difficult to judge these early episodes based on initial viewings. Once we have seen the entire series we will probably enjoy watching reruns of the beginning installments much more. That was my experience with Band of Brothers.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #105
RendeR
Coordinator

I'm not sure what you guys are watching but frankly this show is awesome. I'm enjoying this far more than I ever did Band of brothers, but then I served in teh Pacifc myself so that certainly may bias me some.

Episode 3 was terrific, the internal turmoil of most of the characters is excellent and I'm really enjoying the interaction with the civilians.

Can't wait till I have it all recorded and can sit and watch it all straight through.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:56 PM   #106
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I think tonight's episode helped establish some of the "personal connection" that was missing with characters. For a war show that had no war in it, tonight's episode was good.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #107
Emmett13
Mascot

Didn't care much for tonight's episode. And haven't been too impressed with the other two (as far as HBO shows go). This episode seemed really contrived, and bordering on Bay's Pearl Harbor with the schmaltz factor. Foreign soldier falls in love with farmer's daughter? Gag me with vegemite!

And the blonde haired kid with his little Aussie babe and strict grandfather. Get out of here with that weak subplot!

A cow was the only thing that got killed in the episode. It's like they were screwing with me.

If this show was on another network I'd be drooling all over it. HBO just has my standards too high for its shows.

Last edited by Emmett13 : 03-29-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Emmett13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #108
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I'm not sure what you guys are watching but frankly this show is awesome. I'm enjoying this far more than I ever did Band of brothers, but then I served in teh Pacifc myself so that certainly may bias me some.

Episode 3 was terrific, the internal turmoil of most of the characters is excellent and I'm really enjoying the interaction with the civilians.

Can't wait till I have it all recorded and can sit and watch it all straight through.

Agree 110%.

I've been watching each episode 2-3 times before the next one comes on. I thought last nights was right up there with episode two. A buddy and I are just in love with this show. Each week we call each other after each episode and discuss it. Really find it hard that people don't like it. I dunno.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #109
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

To put it in context, The 1st Marine Division spent more time in Australia than Easy Company did in Europe.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 03-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #110
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Agree 110%.

I've been watching each episode 2-3 times before the next one comes on. I thought last nights was right up there with episode two. A buddy and I are just in love with this show. Each week we call each other after each episode and discuss it. Really find it hard that people don't like it. I dunno.

So yer dating Ricky Martin?

Sorry, but the way you just described that SCREAMED fainting female and daytime soaps....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #111
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm finding this to be almost a chore to watch. I'm not looking forward to it at all really which is really disappointing. I can't say it's bad but I'm very neutral on it which might be even worse than bad.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM   #112
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, those sentences back-to-back just scream gay, don't they.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-29-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Decided to be P.C.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #113
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So my brother got pissed last night when I made some comment like
Spoiler
. I mean shit, when something has been public record for like 65 years and is stated on a persons youtube page, I don't see how that is a spoiler.

Whatever though.

Last edited by stevew : 03-29-2010 at 09:12 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #114
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm digging the show. I'm not as engaged with this as I was for Band of Brothers, but it's not really fair to judge anything based on that. IMO Band of Brothers is the best mini-series...ever.

Standing alone without the side by side comparison, I think The Pacific is pretty damn good.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #115
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I feel tonight's episode was probably the best one yet...

I know we got some people that were starting to lose interest, how you guys holding up?

Those that are loving it did you reallllly dig tonights?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 PM   #116
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I will say the Sledge story is miles better than the other one.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #117
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Going into tonights episode I felt the Leckie one was the best, but the character development of Sledge in this episode alone was just fucking awesome.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #118
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Still watching but it seems fragmented and not seeing any connection between the soldiers (like BoB had). Reading some of the books about it so hopefully it will mean more when I watch it again.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #119
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

The big bonus for me with the Sledge story is snafu. Such an awesome character.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #120
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to like it as much as Band of Brothers, but it's just not resonating as much for me. It's not BAD or anything, but it's not like Band of Brothers where it was appointment TV...it's more like "I'll throw it onto the DVR and catch it at some point -- I just watched Episode 6 tonight for example.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #121
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I feel tonight's episode was probably the best one yet...

I know we got some people that were starting to lose interest, how you guys holding up?

Those that are loving it did you reallllly dig tonights?

Haven't watched last night's yet. I'll finish the series out of need. I'd never stop watching it but it's not a series I'm ever going to re-watch. It's just blah.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #122
3ric
College Starter

I've only seen episodes 1-4, but I like it so far. Leckie is a good character, and it's going to be interesting to see more of Sledge.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #123
spleen1015
Coordinator

Part 6 was pretty awesome, IMO. We haven't watched last night's yet.

If you haven't already, I recommend getting the companion book that has been released. It covers the same time frame but looks at other individuals. One of people it covers is a Navy Pilot. It is interesting seeing the same battle and scenarios from different perspectives.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #124
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am 75% of the way through Leckie's book and after that I will read Sledges. I loved Band of Brothers, but I am really enjoying this just as much. I swear each time I watch series like these two I sit and wonder if I would have had the courage these young men had.

We saw a little bit of the psychological toll of war in the episodes in Bastogne, but The Pacific really shows how it takes the innocence away from the soldiers and I am amaze that they were able to fit back into society they way they did.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #125
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I was having a slow time until episode 6 and 7, when things have finally started to set for me. The storyline with Sledge (who I thought would be the least interesting character at first) has been more compelling for sure...I think a big part of the reason is simply just because there's a few more recognizable (and perhaps more exaggerated) characters that stand out, such as Snafu and Gunny (both of whom are awesome), whereas in Leckie's storyline, even though I might identify with Leckie more than Sledge, I had trouble distinguishing all of the dudes who weren't Leckie.

Spoiler
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #126
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I've gotten so little in to it that I don't even have an idea of any of the character's names...they don't really seem "alive" to me.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #127
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I've gotten so little in to it that I don't even have an idea of any of the character's names...they don't really seem "alive" to me.

I think it's a decent series but it is not easy figuring out who these people are, other than the three main people.

BoB seemed to allow youto get a better feel for the characters. One of the reasons is that you got more episode. These episodes are done in 50 minutes and much of that is taken up with Hanks and the intro at the beginning. Another reason is that it followed one company and the war in Europe was not a series of fractured island hops like in the Pacific theater.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I do have the same problem. It was probably supposed to be a big deal with the Skip went down last night(to the sniper), but it wasn't very powerful cause you didn't really know much about him. He was from new england, I guess.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #129
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

You guys didn't have a similar problem with BoB? It took about the second or third viewing of BoB's for me to really enjoy it to its fullest.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM   #130
bob
College Starter

Quick question for those of you with HBO - is are the old episodes of the Pacific available on demand? Could I just pick up HBO for a month, watch the already aired eps on demand and the few remaining episodes as they are aired and then cancel?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #131
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Quick question for those of you with HBO - is are the old episodes of the Pacific available on demand? Could I just pick up HBO for a month, watch the already aired eps on demand and the few remaining episodes as they are aired and then cancel?

They are all available and the first episode is available until 6/15.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #132
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

One thing that I don't understand about this episode is why they gave us a minute of Sledge and snafu at the start of this one.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #133
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I've loved the series but my only major complaint is the "wasted time." The episodes are for the most part only 40 or so minutes, which kinda sucks. It seems like they could have paced it better.

I do think that the last ten minutes of this episode may have been the best combat scene I've ever seen in show or movie.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've loved the series but my only major complaint is the "wasted time." The episodes are for the most part only 40 or so minutes, which kinda sucks. It seems like they could have paced it better.

I do think that the last ten minutes of this episode may have been the best combat scene I've ever seen in show or movie.

Wish I knew that going in so I could have skipped the first 30 minutes of this one.

Honestly on the Sledge/snafu thing. Did that look like it was a scene that they had no idea where to put it so they threw it into the beginning of this episode. Why wasn't that in last week's?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #135
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I don't know what to tell ya. It was just kind of there...

Do you think the last ten minutes is all we are going to see of Iwo Jima? Because, like I said, it was an unreal ten minutes but it seemed like they were like, "oh fuck, we are running out of time." BOOM
Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #136
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thoughts in spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #137
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
thoughts in spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the cinematography was beautiful yeah. but it didn't resonate in any sort of emotional way i guess.

in contrast - i thought the scene from last week where the guy was throwing pebbles into the blown-open head of the Japanese soldier...resonated more.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He died about 8 months after getting married. They should have just made a Basilone movie instead of this meandering miniseries that is way too hard to follow and care from week to week.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #140
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

it does meander far too much IMO...hard to stay caring about a character when for instance we leave basilone for over a month of watching only to come back and see him for an hour before he gets killed
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #141
BigDPW
College Prospect

I am not watching The Pacific as I do not have HBO but saw this link and thought of you guys that are following it... Pretty amazing collection of photos from the Pacific Theatre...

Captured: The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters in WWII – Plog Photo Blog
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #142
bob
College Starter

Why oh why does Direct TV not offer HBO on Demand? It's my own fault for not checking before I ordered HBO, but man does it suck that I added it assuming I could watch these just to find out that on Demand is not offered.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #143
Tasan
College Starter

Well, I've been avoiding this thread for a while, so I didn't taint my feelings about the show until its (almost) over. I'm past the point of caring now. I'll finish it, but I'm just not feeling it with this as I did with Band of Brothers.

In BoB, I could actually follow who was who. Outside of snafu and Basilone, I'm having a real hard time naming folks. A couple of guys stand out visually (Gunny and the fro hair dude) but come on. I plan on watching all of these back to back when its done, like I did with BoB, but I'm doubting if it will ever have the same impact.

I need a Winters, Lipton, shifty, Malarkey, Bull, Guarenna. Heck give me a Sobel. You know, I think that's what really brought it all together in the last one. Everyone got to hate Sobel off the bat with the rest of the guys. There hasn't been a Sobel, or anyone as opposite as Winters, to really pull you in. Just a bunch of "guys" going off to fight.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #144
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Well, I've been avoiding this thread for a while, so I didn't taint my feelings about the show until its (almost) over. I'm past the point of caring now. I'll finish it, but I'm just not feeling it with this as I did with Band of Brothers.

In BoB, I could actually follow who was who. Outside of snafu and Basilone, I'm having a real hard time naming folks. A couple of guys stand out visually (Gunny and the fro hair dude) but come on. I plan on watching all of these back to back when its done, like I did with BoB, but I'm doubting if it will ever have the same impact.

I need a Winters, Lipton, shifty, Malarkey, Bull, Guarenna. Heck give me a Sobel. You know, I think that's what really brought it all together in the last one. Everyone got to hate Sobel off the bat with the rest of the guys. There hasn't been a Sobel, or anyone as opposite as Winters, to really pull you in. Just a bunch of "guys" going off to fight.

I agree with everything that you have said. Watching to the end but the show has nothing close to the same draw that BoB had.

If BoB had never existed I don't know if I would have watched this show until the end.

I would have liked this much better if they concentrated on one squad/company and you stayed with them all the way through instead of bouncing back and forth between Bassilone (and his group), Lackey (sp?) (and his group) and Sledge (and his group).
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #145
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

As a whole, this show has been very good. Something about the pace, and their focus, has made it kind of hit or miss. They have flashes of brilliance for episodes at a time but then throw in some shit that just makes no sence. There has been moments that rival anything I have ever seen in tv and film.

I'm prone to hyperbole, as I've probably already indicated in this thread. I think I even said this same thing about the final 15 minutes of the Iwo Jima episode. But, tonight's episode I can not describe adequately with words. I don't know how to describe it. This show has at times struggled to connect with me emotionally, and I think that may be helped with future viewings. But tonight was some of the most emotional shit I have ever seen in a television show. The scene towards the end with the baby and the old lady was unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Edited to add: Sledge and snafu should have been the focal point of the majority of the show.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 05-09-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:22 AM   #146
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a whole, this show has been very good. Something about the pace, and their focus, has made it kind of hit or miss. They have flashes of brilliance for episodes at a time but then throw in some shit that just makes no sence. There has been moments that rival anything I have ever seen in tv and film.

I'm prone to hyperbole, as I've probably already indicated in this thread. I think I even said this same thing about the final 15 minutes of the Iwo Jima episode. But, tonight's episode I can not describe adequately with words. I don't know how to describe it. This show has at times struggled to connect with me emotionally, and I think that may be helped with future viewings. But tonight was some of the most emotional shit I have ever seen in a television show. The scene towards the end with the baby and the old lady was unreal. Absolutely unreal.

Edited to add: Sledge and snafu should have been the focal point of the majority of the show.

The problem that I have with the series has been just that. There are parts of it that are great but those pieces still seem to be random pieces that aren't sewn together by the series as a whole.

I agree with your last statement but not just because of the characters but because as a series it would gel much better if the focus were one group.

Either do three different series or just follow one group. Give the viewers a chance to relate to something from start to finish. That was the best thing about BoB is that you got to see the same group from start to finish and even when they did shows that focused on one of them you still were following the same group and saw the same people.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #147
Sgran
High School Varsity

The Peleliu episodes were worth the price of having to sit through the slower episodes (the Melbourne part was torture). The scene where they charge across the airstrip is one of the most ambitious war scenes I've ever watched. Absolutely riveting.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #148
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The problem that I have with the series has been just that. There are parts of it that are great but those pieces still seem to be random pieces that aren't sewn together by the series as a whole.

I agree with your last statement but not just because of the characters but because as a series it would gel much better if the focus were one group.

Either do three different series or just follow one group. Give the viewers a chance to relate to something from start to finish. That was the best thing about BoB is that you got to see the same group from start to finish and even when they did shows that focused on one of them you still were following the same group and saw the same people.

I think a Sledge series and a Basilone movie would have been great. I started out liking Leckie a lot, but either because he hasn't been heavily involved in awhile, or because they didn't really flesh out the rest of his company (combined with showing brief glimpses of too many guys that left you asking "Who was that?"), I've felt that part was basically wasted.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #149
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I felt that Basilone should have been removed. They didn't do him enough justice. I knew exactly how the 8th episode was going to go. Knew it all along. We hadn't seen him in awhile so of course the 8th episode would be them trying to make you fall back in love with him before Iwo Jima.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #150
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The guy who played Sledge absolutely owned it last night. He should get an emmy.