Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #101
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The only thing that would have been better is if Malcolm said: Those two are voting for me and I am voting for him so our votes won't count. You get to decide who goes home.

even if they still all voted Phillip it would have fractured that alliance beyond immediate repair.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #102
Suicane75
Coordinator

Epic tribal, Phillip going home, Brenda crawling under the rice bar, just an awesome episode.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #103
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The only thing that would have been better is if Malcolm said: Those two are voting for me and I am voting for him so our votes won't count. You get to decide who goes home.

even if they still all voted Phillip it would have fractured that alliance beyond immediate repair.
Until everyone else voted for them too, it ended up as a 0-0 tie, and they revoted without the idols.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #104
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't be a 0-0 tie. At worst it would be a 1-1-1 tie, at best they send someone home. There would be no reason for them to not vote for someone from the 7, just to get the 7 believing it was the case.

At that point it would take just one person to be paranoid (and there was plenty of that going on) to vote for one of their own. Plus, you saw how quickly they were already going after each other; if Phillip doesn't get pushed into the take one for the team position it would have been a very hectic vote.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #105
korme
Go Reds

That was one of the best tribals ever. Great job by Malcolm to share an idol and just let shit hit the fan.

Also, kind of disciplined move from Malcolm and Eddie to both play their idols. The way the other alliance was scrambling with their chatter, I was convinced Eddie and Malcolm weren't getting any votes.

The cool thing is that the 3-amigos could go and look for the next 2 idols and conceivably win the next immunity challenge and do this all over again.

Definitely rooting for the alpha dogs at this point.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #106
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Amazing tribal and the look of joy on Eddie's face was really something. Great play by Malcolm and, even if he doesn't go much further, he's been fantastic.

3 amigos need to swing Andrea and Erik now and take control of the game. Not sure it can happen (because who knows what Erik is thinking, if at all!) but that would be much better for the show. Watching more of Sherri and Dawn .. ugh.

It's interesting though. When the season started, I really couldn't stand Reynold and Eric. But with time, this new alliance has really grown on me and I'm rooting for them actively now.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #107
timmynausea
College Starter

Lots of criticism of Erik in this thread, but he was the one member of Stealth R Us 2.0 that pointed out that the alliance should probably still vote for Malcolm and Eddie to force them to actually play the idols. Before that, everyone was playing telephone to tell each other to vote for Andrea or Phillip. Malcolm's face dropped when Erik started talking, too. I think Malcolm intended to cause enough confusion/panic to not actually play the idols as he bluffed like that once last season. It almost worked, too.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #108
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I do wish they'd shown the conversation between Malcolm and Reynold after Malcolm revealed that he had had an idol when he asked for Reynold's.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #109
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I do wish they'd shown the conversation between Malcolm and Reynold after Malcolm revealed that he had had an idol when he asked for Reynold's.

this
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #110
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Lots of criticism of Erik in this thread, but he was the one member of Stealth R Us 2.0 that pointed out that the alliance should probably still vote for Malcolm and Eddie to force them to actually play the idols. Before that, everyone was playing telephone to tell each other to vote for Andrea or Phillip. Malcolm's face dropped when Erik started talking, too. I think Malcolm intended to cause enough confusion/panic to not actually play the idols as he bluffed like that once last season. It almost worked, too.

Yes, Malcolm is clearly unhappy after Erik says that and especially when Phillip says he's happy to go forward with the plan. That's why I think as fun as the tribal council was, it was a huge strategic error for Malcolm to announce who they were voting for. They didn't gain anything from revealing that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #111
General Mike
Pro Starter

The fact that Erik was the one that pointed out that they should follow the voting plan they had blows my mind.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
The fact that Erik was the one that pointed out that they should follow the voting plan they had blows my mind.

I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #113
molson
General Manager

Maybe someone else said it first (and didn't make the final edit) and Erik just repeated it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #114
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Funny thing is that Erik then ended up voting Phillip.

Did he have a moment of genius out of fear that he would go home? Make sure the other 6 stayed in line so he knew that he would be safe with the outcome?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #115
LloydLungs
College Prospect

As annoying as Phillip is... I hate seeing a major player go out this way. This IMO is where you can make the case that there are just too many idols floating around. There was no clever strategy involved here, Malcolm's just really good at scavenger hunts.

I don't see any reason why this would turn around the game long-term, plus we're denied the satisfaction of seeing Phillip lose in a way that's strategically satisfying -- it was pure bad luck. He really shouldn't have any sort of jury bitchface/bitchy question either. Nobody in his alliance turned on him, he just got idoled out by the minority alliance who he'd have no reason to be mad at.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #116
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Funny thing is that Erik then ended up voting Phillip.

Did he have a moment of genius out of fear that he would go home? Make sure the other 6 stayed in line so he knew that he would be safe with the outcome?

I don't think he was worried about getting voted out. I think he was happy with his current alliance, but has hated Phillip ever since the first episode. His statement made sure they played their idols, but his vote also ensured that someone he hated went home.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #117
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe someone else said it first (and didn't make the final edit) and Erik just repeated it.

Cochran was whispering to Erik before that statement. Cochran might not have wanted to say it himself, because then the bros might've said, "Okay Cochran, then we're targeting you."

Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

In which Cochran takes control of the game and Malcolm pays for wasting three idols over two episodes to get one person out.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 04-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #119
kingfc22
Head Coach

Damn. Was hoping the three amigos would take the lead tonight.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #120
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wasting idols? He was gone last week if not for using the idols. How is that wasting them?

I think the mistake was announcing their voting intentions last week. The alliance would have fractured if not for that.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #121
larrymcg421
Head Coach

He only got two votes last week. He would not have been gone if he didn't play the idol.

And the Phillip announcement is part of the idol wasting. If he doesn't announce Phillip as the target, then everyone is shitting their pants instead of sticking with the plan and they could've both saved their idols.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #122
Suicane75
Coordinator

Well now we know why we haven't seen much of Brenda.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #123
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

At this point I just want Sherri voted out so I can go back to watching the episodes in high definition.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #124
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Old 04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #125
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
At this point I just want Sherri voted out so I can go back to watching the episodes in high definition.

the worst part about Sherri is the self-loathing that goes along with the knowledge that I probably would hit that
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #126
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Another terrific episode. The million is Cochran's to lose now.

The genius of his move tonight against Andrea is that it didn't matter if she played the idol. If she did play it, then Eddie would've gone home on the revote and the idol would be flushed. Then they can just vote her out next TC.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #127
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

this season started slowly, but it's really turned around nicely
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #128
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, that was a dick move (and maybe not the smartest either)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #129
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Brenda was targeting Cochran first. It would be dumb for him to leave her in the game at this point. This is a million dollar game.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #130
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Brenda was targeting Cochran first. It would be dumb for him to leave her in the game at this point. This is a million dollar game.

yeah, so it is an ok play for Cochran, but everyone on the jury just heard that Brenda did something huge for all of them, and they turned around and voted her out...that is gonna be held against Dawn (who i cannot stand at all and hope she is the person that is hurt in the preview for the finale), cochran, and sheri (who is the most worthless player ever)...no way Brenda doesnt throw it in their faces if they are in Final Tribal.

i am cheering for Eric at this point.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #131
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well Cochran, Dawn, Sherri might be the final three, so she'll have to pick someone. It would be hypocritical for Brenda to hold anything against Sherri and Cochran since she was going to vote them out at the next two tribal councils. And even if she and others do hold it against them, they don't even have a shot at the final three without making that move.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #132
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Why the hell did Eddie vote Eric?

Sucks now that there won't be anything to watch during the final episode. I'll miss seeing Brenda around camp.

Though, Andrea did look pretty decent tonight.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #133
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I first thought it was going to be Dawn that voted Eric because she didn't want to vote Brenda.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Double dola: Can we just get freaking rid of Dawn, she is annoying as hell.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #135
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Double dola: Can we just get freaking rid of Dawn, she is annoying as hell.

+10000000000000000000000000000
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #136
Suicane75
Coordinator

This whole season has been an exercise in annoyance. I don't want any of the women to win because they're insufferable as shit, but I don't want Cochrane or Eric to win because what the fuck have they done to deserve it. I guess I'm rooting for Eddie but what the fuck has he done to deserve winning?

This whole season has been the shittiest.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I think Cochrane has played the game well this season. He's very likeable and has used that to his advantage. I also think that a couple things often go unappreciated in the game.

1. There's a time to make moves, but it's often just as important to know when to back off and not make the move. Andrea's exit was a perfect example.

2. It's very important when these people become malnourished and irritable that they feel like another player is listening to their ideas. He kept Phillip under control in that way for a long period of time and you saw him doing it with Dawn last night.

Cochrane does a great job of planting seeds in a passive way while agreeing with the thoughts of others and not speaking down to them if it differs from their theories. He presents his ideas and uses strategy and even previous season situations to show how it worked before. He's a very smart guy who knows what he's doing without ever putting too much of a target on his back or being seen as a leader.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #138
larrymcg421
Head Coach

How is this a shitty season? Pre-merge was bad, but since the merge we've had a fantastic run of episodes...

Blindside of Corinne
Malcolm convincing Reynold to give him an idol.
Three Amigos make themselves immune and take out Phillip
Andrea following Malcolm around to prevent him from getting another idol. Malcolm goes home.
Andrea blindsided.
Brenda blindsided.

And Cochran has been a central member of the alliance strategy. He's still the only person with more than one individual immunity win. He's played a great game.

I actually thought that he might have thrown the family challenge on purpose. He's a student of the game and knows the family reward winner is almost always put in a shitty situation. Better to throw it and hope to get picked anyways than win it and potentially piss someone off.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #139
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Cochrane does a great job of planting seeds in a passive way while agreeing with the thoughts of others and not speaking down to them if it differs from their theories. He presents his ideas and uses strategy and even previous season situations to show how it worked before. He's a very smart guy who knows what he's doing without ever putting too much of a target on his back or being seen as a leader.

This. The way he convinced Dawn to switch her thinking was ideal. Even if she didn't end up going along with it, he was in the clear.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #140
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I actually thought that he might have thrown the family challenge on purpose. He's a student of the game and knows the family reward winner is almost always put in a shitty situation. Better to throw it and hope to get picked anyways than win it and potentially piss someone off.

I don't think he threw it on purpose as much as he didn't even seem frustrated when his mom said 'Sorry' to him about the fact that she wasn't in the best physical shape. He was OK with seeing her, but didn't want to win it that bad as you note.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #141
molson
General Manager

I know Cochrane isn't everyone's cup of tea but he's gotten the "star of the season" edit in so many ways, (an edit which was supported by his good game play, of course.) He gets a ton of TV time, he's broken through and won immunity challenges (which was heavily played up), Jeff mentioned that Cochrane now has the confidence to take his shirt off. I think they're building to a Cochrane win. Sheri is irrelevant (which is odd because she had such a great start to the game), Eddie is the scrappy underdog who will come up just short, Eric is the fruit loop (though, so was Fabio at this point, so maybe there's a template for him pulling it out). Dawn is the annoying hated villain - (though she's a bit of a wild card in that I bet she's very popular among middle-aged women, so maybe in that world this would be perceived as a more favorable edit.)

Last edited by molson : 05-09-2013 at 10:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #142
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:

I actually gotta wonder if this will be a turning point in Survivor history in terms of the family challenge. Everyone should want to throw it, winning it KILLS you and you have a perfectly decent chance of spending the day with your loved one even if you don't win.

This was really Cochran's move -- for Dawn it would have been smarter to wait one more round for this.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #143
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I actually gotta wonder if this will be a turning point in Survivor history in terms of the family challenge. Everyone should want to throw it, winning it KILLS you and you have a perfectly decent chance of spending the day with your loved one even if you don't win.

This was really Cochran's move -- for Dawn it would have been smarter to wait one more round for this.

i thought the "choice" part of last night was brutal...i actually was a little disgusted by it because it didnt just take the reward away from brenda, but it also tortured Dawn (who even though i dont like, i didnt like the way that she was treated in that scenario)
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #144
korme
Go Reds

Dawn came off as a completely selfish bitch during that entire spot. Brenda said her father's advice was "stay humble" - and Dawn was the complete opposite.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i thought the "choice" part of last night was brutal...i actually was a little disgusted by it because it didnt just take the reward away from brenda, but it also tortured Dawn (who even though i dont like, i didnt like the way that she was treated in that scenario)

While I was fast forwarding through the commercial break, I told my wife that this was a stupid added element and that only a moron would defer to the others in this situation. As soon as Brenda made the decision, I was telling my wife that she just made a huge mistake. She allowed 2/3 of the tribe to get food, strategize without her around, and took away food and a big moral boost away from a person that was likely her biggest ally in the game.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #146
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

That was actually my favorite part, watching Dawn's reaction.

Did I mention that I HATE Dawn?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #147
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: I still don't get the over-reactions people have during the visit episode. Sorry but mid 20's people blubbering over seeing their parents/siblings just doesn't ring true to me. There are few exceptions but in most cases it just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I'm a heartless bastard but come on man...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #148
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
dola: I still don't get the over-reactions people have during the visit episode. Sorry but mid 20's people blubbering over seeing their parents/siblings just doesn't ring true to me. There are few exceptions but in most cases it just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe I'm a heartless bastard but come on man...

My theory is that you've been so isolated for 5 weeks and every single person you interact with is secretly or overtly trying to work against you. it's a stressful time so when you do see a friendly face, someone who is unequivocally on your side, it has to be extremely emotional.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #149
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Despise dawn. It's really cochran's game to lose now.

The dark horse is Eddie. If he can win immunity to reach the final 3, he wins the money. But he hasn't convinced me he's actually any good at challenges
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #150
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
My theory is that you've been so isolated for 5 weeks and every single person you interact with is secretly or overtly trying to work against you. it's a stressful time so when you do see a friendly face, someone who is unequivocally on your side, it has to be extremely emotional.

It has somehow gotten more emotional as the seasons go by?