Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #101
kingfc22
Head Coach

Great start to the season
Old 08-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #102
The Jackal
Coordinator

I guess that's about what you'd expect minus Giroud, Ozil, Koscielny, Mertesacker, and Gabriel. Alexis ineffective through the middle, I just hope Ramsey isn't very hurt.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 PM   #103
bhlloy
Coordinator

Great game, but I can't see either of these sides challenging City or United based on some of the defending on show.

I know I bang on about Wenger but really, he looked at how they finished last season and decided all he really needed was Xhaka? Who based on the fact he couldn't get a game today without Ozil and even when Ramsey went out is probably more of a bit part player??
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #104
cougarfreak
College Starter

Good road win for Liverpool. Coutinho, Mane, Lallana are going to be pretty darn good up front. I hope they can find a Leftback before the close of the window.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:33 PM   #105
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Great game, but I can't see either of these sides challenging City or United based on some of the defending on show.

I know I bang on about Wenger but really, he looked at how they finished last season and decided all he really needed was Xhaka? Who based on the fact he couldn't get a game today without Ozil and even when Ramsey went out is probably more of a bit part player??

I am not even a big fan of Xhaka, but judging a euro participants role at a new club (very little time with the team, lack of fitness) after 1 game is insanely premature.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #106
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Swansea wins on the road. I'll take it. Timbers lose on the road, luckily MLS season is entirely too long, so there's still playoff time.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #107
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
First day of the new season and all the talk is that Hart could be leaving and ter Stegen is on the way. Ugh! I wish the window ended before the season started!

And now it sounds like it's going to be MATS' teammate, Claudio Bravo, making his way to Manchester.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #108
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The article I read in the Guardian indicated that Guardiola wants a keeper who can pass and neither Hart nor Caballero could do much besides get it to the right back consistently.

So basically it's not that Hart is bad, but this is Guardiola stamping his method on the team. As such, it'll be interesting to see where Hart goes and what kind of fee he commands.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #109
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I thought Man U had a strong opening match. Zlatan really makes a difference up front. Even without the goal, he had 2-3 flicks/hold ups that created some nice chances. The biggest positive for me was Felani as defensive midfielder. For the first time in years, I can see a role for him on the team. With Pogba, he probably won't get a ton of starts, but he was strong on the ball and stopped a few counters. Luke Shaw was the biggest disappointment - maybe it's just the rust after a long layoff but his first touch was dreadful and he got beaten numerous times on the wing.

Last edited by Arles : 08-15-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #110
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The article I read in the Guardian indicated that Guardiola wants a keeper who can pass and neither Hart nor Caballero could do much besides get it to the right back consistently.

So basically it's not that Hart is bad, but this is Guardiola stamping his method on the team. As such, it'll be interesting to see where Hart goes and what kind of fee he commands.

Well, certainly a lower one now. Don´t get why they didn´t do this over the break rather than let this become a pressure cooker with the season under way. Also, duh Everybody at City ought to have realized (and/or talked to Pep) that Pep really hates players who aren´t top notch passers at their respective position, including the keeper. There´s a reason he played Alaba and Kimmich at CB with Bayern and he probably still goes to sleep with happy thoughts about Neuer
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #111
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Yeah, I've wondered why they've waited so late. Only thing I can come up with is that they targeted a certain player and are having issues closing the deal. Seems like they could've gotten Bravo all along, so perhaps they've really been pushing for MATS. Seems impossible to get him for less than his buyout, which is ridiculously high.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:15 PM   #112
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Deal for Bravo sounds like it's only missing a signature now.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:40 PM   #113
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Does anyone in the US know if the Premier League Review Show is one any station this fall? It was on FS1 a few years back and I think NBCSN last year. It's not showing up as having an episode on my DVR now though. I usually watch the Man U games, but I like to watch the review show and see how everyone else did over the weekend.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #114
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It should be on an NBC Network, but it can switch around depending on NBC's schedule. This week it was on CNBC due to Olympics. I think it's usually on NBCSN. It's called "Premier League Goal Zone".
Old 08-16-2016, 10:48 AM   #115
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It should be on an NBC Network, but it can switch around depending on NBC's schedule. This week it was on CNBC due to Olympics. I think it's usually on NBCSN. It's called "Premier League Goal Zone".
But that's just where they show every goal, right? I wanted to see the actually review show that also showed cards, near misses and has a little more drama
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #116
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
But that's just where they show every goal, right? I wanted to see the actually review show that also showed cards, near misses and has a little more drama

Match of the Day. Normally on around 11 PM on Saturday and Sunday nights. May be different now with the Olympics.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #117
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Or if you want to be an uber geek, you can find the original MOTD here --

FootballDownload

I have it set up to download automatically via usenet, but if it takes too long I go there and download it manually.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 08-16-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #118
Hoya1
High School JV

Nice to United play a strong game.
still looking for Memphis Depay to get a real opportunity where he can get a few games in succession.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #119
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
Nice to United play a strong game.
still looking for Memphis Depay to get a real opportunity where he can get a few games in succession.

You're dead to me.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #120
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Or if you want to be an uber geek, you can find the original MOTD here

The things people will do to see Gary Linekar in his underwear.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #121
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Match of the Day. Normally on around 11 PM on Saturday and Sunday nights. May be different now with the Olympics.
This is the show I am talking about:

It had this intro:
Barclays Premier League 2015 2016 Intro HD Preview - YouTube

Basically, it was a weekly show that ran on Monday nights and it would take a few minutes to go through every match that occurred over the weekend.

Last edited by Arles : 08-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #122
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/football...P=share_btn_tw
Old 08-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #123
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

QOTD comes from Joey Barton, who said this about City's handling of the Joe Hart situation.

"City should have acted with common human decency."

I'll only mention the incident in which he stubbed out a cigarette in the eye of a youth player. Probably not even the worst thing he's done in his life.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #124
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
QOTD comes from Joey Barton, who said this about City's handling of the Joe Hart situation.

"City should have acted with common human decency."

I'll only mention the incident in which he stubbed out a cigarette in the eye of a youth player. Probably not even the worst thing he's done in his life.

I bet you he never forced a millionaire to sit on a bench/chair ... I mean, there´s terrible acts and then there´s terrible acts.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:30 PM   #125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's English. They have a different idea of "basic human decency"
Old 08-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #126
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Basically, it was a weekly show that ran on Monday nights and it would take a few minutes to go through every match that occurred over the weekend.

I was under the impression Sky killed that show given the commentators seemed to be giving a final farewell in the last couple minutes of the last show last season.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #127
AlexB
Pro Starter

Riyad Mahrez signs a new 4-year deal with Leicester. Arsenal fans not happy. Arsenal are coming to the KP this weekend - could be lively
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #128
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I've seen some links with Hart and BVB. Now that would be hilarious, whomario.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #129
miami_fan
Coordinator

Top marks for whoever decided to make player conduct toward the match official a point of emphasis. Let's hope this keeps up the entire season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #130
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I heard it was Rooney's idea.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #131
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Some great news regarding the new MLS team in Atlanta...

Atlanta United FC set new season ticket record for expansion teams | MLSsoccer.com

Quote:
Atlanta United president Darren Eales told MLSsoccer.com on Friday that the club has converted 22,000 of the 31,000 season ticket deposits the club received into full season tickets for their inaugural season. Eales said that the total would be the second most season tickets sold in MLS this year behind only the Seattle Sounders and that it was already a record for an MLS expansion team.

As one of those season ticket holders, I'm really excited for the atmosphere next year!
Old 08-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #132
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
I was under the impression Sky killed that show given the commentators seemed to be giving a final farewell in the last couple minutes of the last show last season.

Nope, not dead, just buried by the Olympics?

I see it's back listed on NBC Sports, Monday nights.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #133
dacman
College Benchwarmer

And the first two shows that didn't air in the US (I think):

Premier League Review - 16th August 2016

Premier League Review - 22nd August 2016
Old 08-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #134
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Thanks guys!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #135
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Tuned into Hull City-United late. As far as I can tell United just won the league.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #136
whomario
Pro Starter

Yeah, how dare they celebrate a last minute winner. Bloody amateurs ...
Old 08-29-2016, 01:12 AM   #137
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bah! My tivo was forced to switch guide providers and now creating season passes for sports is useless. Hope they fix it quick.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #138
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
This is what we currently have for what leagues are shown in America. (NGSN has Dutch Rights, but they went dark late last year. They're supposed to relaunch in August, but I'll believe it when I see it).

This post comes from the TV, Satellite and Radio forum on BigSoccer (I moderate there and started the thread on who has what TV rights)

English Language Networks

Leagues
English Premier League - NBC Networks
Scottish Premier League - Fox Soccer Plus
Bundesliga - Fox Networks
Serie A - BeIN Sports
La Liga - BeIN Sports
MLS: Fox Sports and ESPN
Ligue 1 (France): BeIN Sports
English league championship: BeIN Sports
NASL: One World Sports, BeIN Sports, and WatchESPN (ESPN3)

Add CBS Sports Network to NASL.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM   #139
whomario
Pro Starter

So, first impressions from around the soccer world as far as teams i´m interested in are concerned ...

Bayern will steamroll the Bundesliga once again. Demolished Bremen 6:0 and could have been 12:0 just as well ... That´s with a few players missing and many starters still behind in terms of fitness after the break and late start to training (due to playing the Euros/Copa America).

Dortmund looks fun though, which i am glad to say. Like mentioned before they are incredibly deep and there hopefully will be plenty game time for the young guys or sensible loans. Pulisic unfortunately in a bit of a funk from what i have been told (friend of mine has ties to the U19), not surprising after his first professional season, Copa America and starting late into his first real professional preseason training regiment. Schürrle will revive his career i think and Bartra has looked really good.

In Spain, Atletico is struggling out of the block with 2 draws against inferior teams. Barce and Real look good already with the 2nd tier guys picking up some of the slack for the stars still easing back into things.
Sevilla will be a fun team to follow. Amazing offensive potential (6:4 on the first match) that will however sometimes stutter (0:0 the 2nd ) and lots of crazy tactical wrinkles from new Coach Sampaoli. First game they basically played a 2-1-5-2 setup that was insane.

In England, ManU has looked real solid so far. Not been tested much, but they are winning and looking decent on both sides. Guess adding a superstar striker and midfielder is a sound idea ... Mkhitaryan struggling to get past Mata ... Liverpool has tons of potential up front, seem to be getting more solid defensively. Having an actual Left Back would help, as would having a decent holding DM/CM to slow play once in a while. Sturridge is struggling to get game time right now with Klopp adapting a no-striker lineup up front with Firmino/Coutino/Mane.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #140
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Bah! My tivo was forced to switch guide providers and now creating season passes for sports is useless. Hope they fix it quick.

Yeah, really freaking annoying. I wondered what was going on because no Bundesliga games were recorded this weekend. And I had to manually record Man City vs. West Ham.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #141
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Mkhitaryan struggling to get past Mata

And could you imagine saying that when Mourinho bought Mkhitaryan? Always full of surprises that Mourinho.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, really freaking annoying. I wondered what was going on because no Bundesliga games were recorded this weekend. And I had to manually record Man City vs. West Ham.

yeah, until you fix you're going to have to manually set up recordings until they fix it.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #143
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
And could you imagine saying that when Mourinho bought Mkhitaryan? Always full of surprises that Mourinho.

It'll be a bigger surprise if Mkhitaryan was back on the bench for the next game, he changed them when he came on. Breaking forward with the ball, causing problems, making space. All the things Mata didnt do.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:16 PM   #144
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Hart off to Torino for a year. Props to him for taking a chance abroad.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:20 PM   #145
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is what happens when you give the Premier League monopoly money in TV deals... jeez, 30mil pounds for Sissoko?!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #146
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Balotelli to Nice on a free...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #147
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Probably the most significant deal of the day (so far) is Islam Slimani to Leicester. Slimani and Vardy up top is going to be ridiculously scary.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #148
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Probably the most significant deal of the day (so far) is Islam Slimani to Leicester. Slimani and Vardy up top is going to be ridiculously scary.

Rocking that tall/small combo up front like its 2000 again, i approve Plus that way Musa can spell Mahrez on the wing in some games.

Mustafi to Arsenal is great, them getting Perez im not sold on.

Schalke getting Konoplyanka for a surprisingly small fee. Imo the guy is a tier-a inverse winger offensively who just happened to meet a new coach who just doesnt like his type of player.

Chelsea adressing their lack of options at LB by overpaying for Alonso from Fiorentina.

Inter Milans new backers spending big on Joao Mario and Gabriel Barbosa.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #149
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

West Ham getting Arbeloa for the year is pretty good signing as well. In addition to Arbeloa being good, that means they can play Antonio in the midfield rather than out of position at RB.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #150
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And now Tottenham match the 30mil pounds for Sissoko... this is the same Sissoko that played for Newcastle last season right? These teams do know that the guy who played for France in Euro2016 is not likely to be the player they are buying, right?