Tim Scott 0 0%
Trout 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2023, 09:40 PM   #101
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I had to look him up. A billionaire? Who graduated from a law school named after his family? An interesting pick.
I would personally pick Mark Kelly, but I doubt he would run. Newsom is already running without running. Whitmer would be a choice I would like but probably wouldn't win the nomination.

He's been one of the best governors in the country. Pulled Illinois out of some bad financial issues and has passed some popular legislation. He's also a pretty savvy politician which is lacking on the Democrat side. And it doesn't hurt that he can fund a chunk of his own campaign.

Shapiro and Whitmer would be good choices as well. As JPhillips said, the Dems have a deep bench of popular governors. Problem is that what makes them popular is also what would make the establishment fight against them.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #102
QuikSand
lolzcat

fun stuff
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 11:11 AM   #103
PilotMan
Head Coach

All great except that the right now believes that con men are actual business men who were smart enough to know how to make money. If someone else was hurt by them, then that's on them. Because the business (con) man was smarter and knew what he was doing. Furthermore, the supporter wasn't hurt by the businessman which makes it all ok, because they were smart enough to not be swindled and taken advantage of them. They place themselves on the same level as the con man, they are smart, you are dumb, the conman is great at business, he has my full support.

This is exactly how trump's supporters view him, and the only people who have been hurt and taken advantage of are the dumb ones who should have known better, and they are the enemy. It's the new mindset of the new right.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:00 PM   #104
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
All great except that the right now believes that con men are actual business men who were smart enough to know how to make money. If someone else was hurt by them, then that's on them. Because the business (con) man was smarter and knew what he was doing. Furthermore, the supporter wasn't hurt by the businessman which makes it all ok, because they were smart enough to not be swindled and taken advantage of them. They place themselves on the same level as the con man, they are smart, you are dumb, the conman is great at business, he has my full support.

This is exactly how trump's supporters view him, and the only people who have been hurt and taken advantage of are the dumb ones who should have known better, and they are the enemy. It's the new mindset of the new right.

All while they're buying Trump bucks and donating to build the wall.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:16 PM   #105
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
All while they're buying Trump bucks and donating to build the wall.
Be that as it may, he is dead right and that is how they see the world. Everyone else, including politicians, educators, scientist are all stupid and they are much smarter than them because they have "common sense." How they define common sense is much like how most people define "old wives tales."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:26 PM   #106
thesloppy
Pro Starter

When pressed most of these same folks will also admit that they know Trump lies constantly, but is also somehow telling only truth about crucial issues, if you're 'smart' enough to interpret him.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:40 PM   #107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Exactly. It's pretty telling that none of the candidates attacked Vivek for being a con artist.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:41 AM   #108
Galaril
Pro Starter

New poll out Trump 40% Biden 39% and Green Party 3 %. Won’t say I to.d people so but yeah we are going to get a mad man as president next year.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #109
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's over a year until the election. If it looks that way in the spring, that's when I would start getting concerned.

I don't want to presume, but my impression is that the idea of Trump winning again is so catastrophic that it causes a primal reaction in some people, over-riding the way they would normally look at a situation if it were 'Generic Politician Y' running or something.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:53 PM   #110
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
It's over a year until the election. If it looks that way in the spring, that's when I would start getting concerned.

I don't want to presume, but my impression is that the idea of Trump winning again is so catastrophic that it causes a primal reaction in some people, over-riding the way they would normally look at a situation if it were 'Generic Politician Y' running or something.

True.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:34 AM   #111
Swaggs
Coordinator

Count me in the "I need to see it to believe it" column with elections post-Roe v Wade being overturned. There have been a number of statewide elections (plus the 2022 midterms) that have indicated that voters are still energized and where the polls have underestimated margins. Trump, Nikki Haley, Nancy Mace and a handful of others seem to be banging the drum that it is a losing issue, but the GOP base seems to want to take things further in that direction by making laws more restrictive and punitive to doctors and mothers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:39 PM   #112
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Count me in the "I need to see it to believe it" column with elections post-Roe v Wade being overturned. There have been a number of statewide elections (plus the 2022 midterms) that have indicated that voters are still energized and where the polls have underestimated margins. Trump, Nikki Haley, Nancy Mace and a handful of others seem to be banging the drum that it is a losing issue, but the GOP base seems to want to take things further in that direction by making laws more restrictive and punitive to doctors and mothers.

GOP insiders and strategists are expecting heavy losses as long as Trump is on the ballot or directing the party. I saw one quoted as saying 2024, 2028, 2032, or until he's dead"

The special elections and statewides you mention are also far more accurate of a gauge of where things are than polling. I'm not saying it's a given, but Trump plus Roe is going to be incredibly difficult for the party to overcome.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #113
GrantDawg

I wish I had you guy's faith in that.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:07 PM   #114
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I am anxious as hell too, but why would you choose to believe polling accuracy, down to the point, given like the last 10 years as evidence?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 03:29 PM   #115
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am anxious as hell too, but why would you choose to believe polling accuracy, down to the point, given like the last 10 years as evidence?
I promise you, my nerves are not solely based on polling.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:05 PM   #116
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
I promise you, my nerves are not solely based on polling.

Ditto.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #117
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy

Speaking only for myself, I don't believe it down to the point. I do think that, while not as accurate as it used to be, the polls are still a heck of a lot more accurate than somebody's intuition or gut feeling. They've still been quite close in the last two presidential elections for example.

Personally, I think the most sensible thing to do is combine the polls with what happens in special elections and such. As many have observed, the 'grocery store stupid' argument, i.e. inflation, is really a great equalizer here. The number of people who just don't care about anything else if they don't like the economic situation is ... not small, and people vote on that more for presidents than they do for congressmen or state referenda. That's ... not wise, but it's what happens. I think it's Biden's election to lose, but also that most of what could make him lose it is not in his control. It's very likely to tip on whether people have confidence in the economy when it comes time to vote.

If things have improved enough by then, and I expect they will, I have very little doubt he wins. If they haven't, all bets are off.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-05-2023 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:37 AM   #118
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I believe that poll is a roughly accurate reflection of who people say they will vote for in 2024. There are a very large number of undecideds. Biden has much more potential to win those voters, and I think it's not particularly close.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:48 AM   #119
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Also need to remember while most dems and independents don't want Biden to runs, if he does and it is against Trump it will be at worst a repeat of 2020 and they will all vote him.

Majority of Americans, including a lot of Rs know how awful a second Trump term would be.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:19 AM   #120
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

That there is even a discussion going on about Trump tells me how bad/dangerous things are. The trouble with the "Trump candidates" all lost is they, for the most part, didn't lose by much. None of these elections should have been close, hell none of these candidates should have made it on the ballot.

While I try to comfort myself with the idea that the middle/undecided and independents (me) will go with Biden knowing how bad a second Trump term would be, I'm not counting on it. Hell in my state, Iowa, the majority don't think Trump has done anything wrong. They may be to the point of not totally supporting him, but he's not a D so he gets their vote. He will win here and it won't be close.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #121
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Is this a widely held view... that recent years have basically discredited polling overall?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:37 AM   #122
Atocep
Coordinator

I want to add that I think Trump made a mistake by skipping the debate. He's best at sucking all the air out of a room and allowing other candidates to stand out on their own in any way goes against what works for him. He's still easily the favorite but he's lost a little ground and he doesn't want GOP voters to get comfortable with alternatives.

Edit: to add, I'm not sure he has the energy to campaign heavily this time around. He loves his rallies, but I don't think he wants anything to do with an actual campaign at this point. He wants to fundraiser, hold rallies, and sit back and win with as little effort as possible in the hopes of being able to eventually kill off these indictments.

Last edited by Atocep : 09-06-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:22 AM   #123
GrantDawg

That Haley number is interesting:
Old 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #124
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Great poll for Biden
Old 09-07-2023, 06:38 AM   #125
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Great poll for Biden
He's gottem right where he wants them. Things will really take off when he loses three-four more points.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:45 AM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
He's gottem right where he wants them. Things will really take off when he loses three-four more points.

You realize 60% of the participants were right or right leaning independents?
Old 09-07-2023, 07:19 AM   #127
GrantDawg

Old 09-07-2023, 07:25 AM   #128
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
That Haley number is interesting:

It is.

Ready for the GOP field to get whittled down to 3-4 and hope she makes it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:29 AM   #129
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Confusing because the original release clearly states oversampling of republicans and right leaning independents.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:30 AM   #130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just heard on the radio the GOP has won the popular vote once since 1992. That is astonishing.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:35 AM   #131
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just heard on the radio the GOP has won the popular vote once since 1992. That is astonishing.

Yep, and the one time they won it in that period was by just 2.5%

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 07:39 AM   #132
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Modern polling is always complicated. It's unfortunately never as simple as 'pick 2000 people at random and report what they said' since a sizable amount of any such group is never voting anyway and/or isn't representative in a zillion other ways.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:49 AM   #133
Swaggs
Coordinator

And the GOP has only gotten more than 50% of the vote once since 1988. And just barely, George W. Bush got 50.7 in 2004.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:05 AM   #134
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
And the GOP has only gotten more than 50% of the vote once since 1988. And just barely, George W. Bush got 50.7 in 2004.

Which is weird because Kerry was actually pretty close to winning in the electoral college despite losing the popular vote.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:11 PM   #135
Thomkal
Head Coach

Loved seeing/hearing most of the fans at the Iowa/Iowa St game boo and give the finger to Trump, DeSantis, and Vivek today
Old 09-10-2023, 07:51 AM   #136
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Loved seeing/hearing most of the fans at the Iowa/Iowa St game boo and give the finger to Trump, DeSantis, and Vivek today

But i was told they spread rose petals and showered him with love?

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:55 AM   #137
GrantDawg

Yup, only true love:
Old 09-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #138
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal

Incivility is unquestionably a thing to celebrate.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #139
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
But i was told they spread rose petals and showered him with love?

Only in Dinesh's new book, due out next month!
Old 09-10-2023, 09:08 AM   #140
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Those assholes deserve every ounce of it.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #141
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I mean, appeasement with Nazis worked well the last time so....
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 09:47 AM   #142
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

So if someone bullies you and constantly treats you like shit you just take it?

I suspect I know the answer but figured I would ask anyway.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:51 PM   #143
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Normally I would agree with you on this Brian, but the entire Republican Party as it stands today wants to overthrow the govt and rule forever-so yeah I'm okay with it here.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:16 AM   #144
jbpostbot
n00b

sometimes you just gotta call an asswhite an asswhite
jbpostbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:36 AM   #145
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Should we be civil if they win and start implementing project 2025?
Old 09-11-2023, 11:38 AM   #146
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Video: See the moment Biden press conference ends abruptly in Hanoi, Vietnam | CNN Politics

This guy isn't going to win, and certainly can't govern for another 5.5 years. If the Dems don't get it together Trumps going to win and destroy the nation.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:59 PM   #147
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Those assholes deserve every ounce of it.

I think virtues like civility are important not because people deserve it. They only mean anything and have value when we use them with people who don't deserve it. It's like free speech. Popular speech doesn't need protection because nobody ever wants to ban it. It's the unpopular speech, the people saying the things we don't like, that reveal whether we think it's a principle worth defending or just a bunch of hot air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ
I mean, appeasement with Nazis worked well the last time so....

Godwin's Law Alert. Also, see next response ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
if someone bullies you and constantly treats you like shit you just take it?

Nope. I'm not advocating relaxing in the slightest politican opposition to politicians who are advocating policies and demonstrating behaviors we disagree with. We can and should do all of those things ... and still treat those people decently. As mentioned above, not based on them deserving it or not, that's irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep
Should we be civil if they win and start implementing project 2025?

Yes, the same way the ones who think Democrats are traitors worse than ISIS should also do so.

If we say (and I do) that what passes as conservatism in the US today is dangerous to the republic, corrosive and destructive to the institutions and ideals of democracy, elements of public behavior are morally reprenhensible, and all the rest of that, we cut the ground from underneath our feet if we aren't being examples of how people who disagree with each other politically should treat each other. Jumping down in the pit with them just minimizes the distinction and abandons a portion of the moral high ground.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-11-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:24 PM   #148
Edward64
Head Coach

I think it's overstated, in the pic below, I see 5 people with fingers up and 3 of them are using middle, and the other 2 are using index (for whatever reason).

But I'm overall okay with the middle finger. Not because "the other guy started it first" or "both sides" rationale but because (1) he put himself out there in public, campaigning (2) I believe boo's should be allowed on the campaign trail unless it disrupts like in a debate, town meeting scenario (3) a finger is not much different from booing and (4) ultimately I don't believe it rises to level of not being civil. What may have been the standard(s) back 20-30 years ago has change and boos and fingers are relatively mild nowadays. There's no going back to those days.

What does cross the line for me are going to a person's home to protest (SCOTUS), disrupting a family meal (okay with business meals) and things like that.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/sta...985697/photo/1

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #149
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I think virtues like civility are important not because people deserve it. They only mean anything and have value when we use them with people who don't deserve it. It's like free speech. Popular speech doesn't need protection because nobody ever wants to ban it.

I'm going to stop you right there. A lot of the country has said "hey, maybe we should be nicer to LGBTQ people" and the Republican response has been "no, let's ban, ostracize, and/or kill them." That's one example.

The ship on civil society sailed years ago, maybe when a Republican President told half the population that they were "with the terrorists". Your desire to bring it back is admirable, but you're swimming against the tide, here.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 02:45 PM   #150
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
If we say (and I do) that what passes as conservatism in the US today is dangerous to the republic, corrosive and destructive to the institutions and ideals of democracy, elements of public behavior are morally reprenhensible, and all the rest of that, we cut the ground from underneath our feet if we aren't being examples of how people who disagree with each other politically should treat each other. Jumping down in the pit with them just minimizes the distinction and abandons a portion of the moral high ground.

This is the core of your misunderstanding.

The issue isn't that Republicans are dangerous to the republic, corrosive and destructive to the institutions and ideals of democracy, etc.... Although that is all true.

The issue is that the right-wing that will be empowered should they succeed electorally in 2025 has stated explicitly that they will dramatically curtail the personal liberties of anyone they don't like, up to and including killing them.

Republican politicians in power are already an existential threat for a lot of Americans. Civility isn't going to solve that. Civility didn't save those police officers on Capitol Hill, and wouldn't have saved Mike Pence if the mob got a hold of him.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote