Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #201
General Mike
Pro Starter

I've got 1 spot open in a fantasy league consisting of NAFL team owners. If you want the spot, send me a PM. I'd prefer someone who has past ties to the league, but beggars can't be choosers. Draft is tomorrow night at 7:15 ET.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #202
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on handcuffing Vick with VY and Kolb, or just letting it ride with Vick/Kolb. I can't remember if Vince has ever been a valuable fantasy guy, but I'm thinking no.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #203
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Thoughts on handcuffing Vick with VY and Kolb, or just letting it ride with Vick/Kolb. I can't remember if Vince has ever been a valuable fantasy guy, but I'm thinking no.
I like Kolb and think he could have a breakout type year. I don't think VY has much value and I think he could still be gotten if Vick goes down. I also think Kolb on the Cardinals is better than VY on the Eagles.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #204
RainMaker
General Manager

Question. Just finished an auction league. The whole draft was messy and I really shit the bed on WR. Loaded up on RB and a QB though.

Anyways, this league gives a point for every 25 yards of a kick return and 10 yards of a punt return. My current crop of WR are:

Davone Bess
Jacoby Ford
A.J. Green
Malcolm Floyd

Well Hester wasn't drafted. He put up 564 punt return yards and 3 TDs last year. I don't know if he'll have that kind of a year again, but I'm wondering if it's worth picking him up and dropping someone. Not sure who to drop though. Bess returns both kicks and punts so has value beyond receiving. And I believe Jacoby Ford is doing some returning too. So would you dump Floyd or Green at all? I like the potential of Green but Floyd seems like he could be a solid WR in a pass happy offense.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-06-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What about Cribbs? Is he taken.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #206
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That's pretty much the first time I've ever heard of scoring overall return yardage. The new kickoff rules make me wary, but you'd have to think that the extra scoring for return yardage would really make those few WRs/RBs that do returns extra valuable. Personally, I'd drop Ford for all of the same reasons you mentioned.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #207
Danny
Head Coach

Do not drop ford, he will be returning punts and could easily be a top 15-20 we with your scoring.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #208
RainMaker
General Manager

Cribbs is free but the yardage still wouldn't make up for how bad he is as a WR. He only had 168 yards as a punt returner which is 16 and 814 as a kick returner which should drop considerably with the new rules.

I guess if he pulls a 2009 type year it'd be worth it but it's a risky weekly play.

It's a strange rule but I think it was put in place because the league is deep and there are 14 teams. There is also a flex in play so the RB/WR can be a little watered down. Surprisingly there aren't a lot of starting players who do returns. Maybe 5 or so that would be worthy of being on a team.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #209
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Do not drop ford, he will be returning punts and could easily be a top 15-20 we with your scoring.
So Malcolm Floyd or AJ Green? I feel like Floyd is the safe play but Green is a #1 WR.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #210
Danny
Head Coach

I would pick up hester if you could, between returning and receiving he could be good for 1000+ yards and 5-7 tds maybe. Your receivers won't be too bad with your scoring system
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #211
Danny
Head Coach

I would keep green over Floyd, who is solid but the teams 3rd option. If bess is returning kicks and punts he is a stud.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #212
Danny
Head Coach

You don't have a backup at another position to drop so you can keep Floyd too?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

Can only have 4 WR on the roster at a time.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #214
evil homer
n00b

just finished my draft. 10 team league. no keepers from last year. 0.5 points per reception plus standard scoring. i picked 5th. i wanted rice or johnson at 5, with rodgers the fall back plan. well, rice went 2, johnson went 3 and rodgers went 4, so i had to scramble. went for the upside in vick. not sure i'm happy about that or not. here's the roster.

QB vick
QB bradford

RB turner
RB greene
RB hightower
RB pierre thomas
RB deji kareem

WR brandon marshall
WR hakeem nicks
WR lee evans
WR malcolm floyd
WR jordy nelson
WR lance moore

TE daniels
TE watson

DEF packers
DEF chargers

K folk

so there's a lot of upside but also very risky. turner might be slowing down, greene is unproven over a full season, and the WR could do either way. if everyone stays healthy i should be competitive.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #215
RainMaker
General Manager

I think you're solid at back. Turnert isn't the stud he used to be, but he's a solid 1200 yards and 7 TDs. It's a team that you know is going to run the ball a lot.

I also think Bradford could be a sneaky good pick this year.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #217
RainMaker
General Manager

But they never had Larry Fitzgerald to the throw the ball to. I don't think Kolb is a great QB, but I think he's a guy with maybe the best WR in the league and in an offense that will need to throw the ball a lot.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-06-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #219
RainMaker
General Manager

I just think he's a solid backup for a fantasy team. I don't think he'll be playing on any Pro Bowl teams, but he should be able to give some 250 yard 2 TD performances. Looking at the backup QBs out there, I just don't see many others going over him.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #221
RainMaker
General Manager

My strategy in my auction league was to get two average QBs and play the matchup. Was looking at Stafford/Eli or something like that. Got Eli and then ended up getting Peyton really cheap. Felt there was an opportunity to name my team after them too.

For $12, I think it was worth it. Worst case he doesn't play this year. Best case is he's back in a couple weeks and a top 5 QB for next to nothing.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 PM   #223
RainMaker
General Manager

I read that they were going to cut Torain but some other back got hurt in the final preseason game.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 AM   #225
Danny
Head Coach

I ended up joining a 10 team, $50 auction league with deep rosters. Draft was today. 6 pt for all tds, normal yardage points, PPR. Lineups are 2QB, 2RB, 3WR and 4 Flex spots. Due to the ability to start 6 RB, my strategy was to load up on solid backs who could catch the football and strong depth at QB and WR. Overall lineup looks like this

QB: Schaub, Bradford, Sanchez, Campbell
RB: C Johnson, Mccoy, F Jones, Best, R Bush, F Jackson, Lynch, Mcgahee
WR: Harvin, Julio Jones, S Rice, M Thomas, J Knox, Sims-Walker, J Simpson
TE: Gronkowski, F Davis
K: Gostkowski
D. Patriots

Last edited by Danny : 09-07-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #226
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'd like advice to this trade... my opinion is that I shouldn't do it, but maybe I'm just crazy.

I trade Matt Ryan and LaGarrette Blount for Michael Vick.

My other RB is Ahmad Bradshaw, and bench is Shonn Greene. My backup QB is Vince Young. I think Ryan will have a good year, and it would make me very thin at RB. BUT, this is Vick...

Thoughts?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #227
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I'd like advice to this trade... my opinion is that I shouldn't do it, but maybe I'm just crazy.

My other RB is Ahmad Bradshaw, and bench is Shonn Greene. My backup QB is Vince Young. I think Ryan will have a good year, and it would make me very thin at RB. BUT, this is Vick...

Thoughts?

How many RBs/Flex do you play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #229
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
How many RBs/Flex do you play?

Two RBs, no flex.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #230
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Thoughts?

Quote:
Two RBs, no flex.

That would make the deal a bit more appealing to me... who do you have if Bradshaw or Green go down? In the end, I'd probably have the same concern as HiFi and hold on to Ryan/Blount.

Vick is big risk/reward is what it comes down to.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #231
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Thoughts?

That's a really tough call. How many teams are in your league? I guess what I'm wondering is how available are RBs. You'd have to pick someone up after the trade and I'd be interested to see those options. If there is someone like Tolbert still out there, it's not a bad deal.

Otherwise, I've always been big on RB depth. There are just too many injuries to RBs throughout the year. My goal in a 2 RB league is to have 3 solid starting backs on my team at the start of the year and try and grab another through the waiver wire at some point.

I do think Blount is going to be solid this year, although I'm not real high on Ryan's fantasy value. That team runs real well and I think he'll have a bunch of those 200 yard 1 TD performances.

Personally, I would do it simply because I think Ryan can be replaced by a starting VY and you won't have a huge dropoff. So you're essentially trading Blount for Vick which is worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #232
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
That would make the deal a bit more appealing to me... who do you have if Bradshaw or Green go down? In the end, I'd probably have the same concern as HiFi and hold on to Ryan/Blount.

Vick is big risk/reward is what it comes down to.

Yeah the problem is that I have Thomas Jones as my only other RB. We only have 4 bench spots. I know the general rule of thumb is if you wend up with the better player, you should do the trade... but I think Vick is too much of a risk compared to the upgrade over Ryan.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #233
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's a really tough call. How many teams are in your league? I guess what I'm wondering is how available are RBs. You'd have to pick someone up after the trade and I'd be interested to see those options. If there is someone like Tolbert still out there, it's not a bad deal.

Otherwise, I've always been big on RB depth. There are just too many injuries to RBs throughout the year. My goal in a 2 RB league is to have 3 solid starting backs on my team at the start of the year and try and grab another through the waiver wire at some point.

I do think Blount is going to be solid this year, although I'm not real high on Ryan's fantasy value. That team runs real well and I think he'll have a bunch of those 200 yard 1 TD performances.

Personally, I would do it simply because I think Ryan can be replaced by a starting VY and you won't have a huge dropoff. So you're essentially trading Blount for Vick which is worth it in my opinion.

Totally disagree on your assessment of Ryan.

You think Ryan is about the same as VY?!

Matt Ryan NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Vince Young NFL & AFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #234
RainMaker
General Manager

I think VY could put up good stats in that offense. Not Matt Ryan numbers, but I don't think it would be a dramatic drop.

Basically Matt Ryan is around the 9-12 mark ranking in terms of fantasy QBs. Now lets say Vince Young is your starting QB for the Eagles. Where would you rank him? I'd put him around the middle of the pack fantasy wise based on the weapons they have and how efficient Reid makes Quarterbacks.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #235
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess the problem is that I see Ryan as a top 6ish QB this year. And VY might not even hold a starting job if Vick goes down.

There are 14 teams in the league. Some of the higher ranked available RBs are:
Ryan Torain
Danny Woodhead
Ronnie Brown
Jason Snelling
Cadillac Williams
Darren Sproles
Donald Brown
Ricky Williams
Marion Barber
Javon Ringer
Isaac Redman
Bernard Scott
Old 09-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #236
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think VY could put up good stats in that offense. Not Matt Ryan numbers, but I don't think it would be a dramatic drop.

Basically Matt Ryan is around the 9-12 mark ranking in terms of fantasy QBs. Now lets say Vince Young is your starting QB for the Eagles. Where would you rank him? I'd put him around the middle of the pack fantasy wise based on the weapons they have and how efficient Reid makes Quarterbacks.

What 8 QBs do you put ahead of Matt Ryan in fantasy numbers?

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #237
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:

Thoughts?

Take the trade and run. I like Ryan, but Vick will blow him out of the water for points scored. . And you have Greene to slot in. You would need to try and get a backup RB though.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #238
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
What 8 QBs do you put ahead of Matt Ryan in fantasy numbers?

Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Michael Vick
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

Will all out score Ryan. Stafford, Schaub and Freeman are also about even with him, so he slots in the 8-11 range

Last edited by Danny : 09-07-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #239
Danny
Head Coach

I would still take the deal and then try to swing another deal of say Shonn Greene for two slightly lesser solid RB or something like that.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #240
Danny
Head Coach

People keep talking about Vick like he is a big gamble. I don't see it. He may not be at the level he was at for most of last season, but he has started at least 15 games in all but one season that he was the starter in.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #241
Danny
Head Coach

And I really like Matt Ryan and in years past, he probably would have been a top 6 or 7 QB, but this is a passing league now and there are a lot of quality QB's out there. Even if you miss out on the 8-11 grouping I mentioned, you then have Bradford, Flacco and Manning. Then Kolb, Cutler, and Sanchez.

Also, I am assuming the other QB Wade had up there was Manning who drops down Ryan another spot when he is healthy.

Last edited by Danny : 09-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #242
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I've got 1 spot open in a fantasy league consisting of NAFL team owners. If you want the spot, send me a PM. I'd prefer someone who has past ties to the league, but beggars can't be choosers. Draft is tomorrow night at 7:15 ET.

Bueller? Bueller?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #243
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Michael Vick
Drew Brees
Tony Romo
Philip Rivers
Ben Roethlisberger

Will all out score Ryan. Stafford, Schaub and Freeman are also about even with him, so he slots in the 8-11 range

I don't buy Romo or Roethlisberger, so maybe that's where we differ.

IMO it's brady, vick, brees, rivers ahead of him. Manning if he plays.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #244
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe the scoring is kinda weird too... Last year Ryan finished 7th in QBs, Vick finished 5th.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #245
Danny
Head Coach

Romo was hurt and Ben missed 4 games for suspension. I'm sure both were ahead of him in ppg
Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #246
Danny
Head Coach

Romo is easily better than Ryan (fantasy wise)
Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #247
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Romo is easily better than Ryan (fantasy wise)

O RLY?

In his last full season, Romo had 4400 yards, 26 TDs, 9 INTs.

Last year, in 6 games, he had 1600 yards, 11 TDs, 7 INTs.

Ryan has improved each year, with 3700 yards, 28 TDs, 9 INTs last year. His TDs have gone up, and INTs down each year.

You can make an argument that they're equal, Romo MAYBE marginally better.

To say he is "easily better" is just false.

Besides that, I feel like Ryan is on the way up, Romo on the way down - but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #248
Danny
Head Coach

Romo has better weapons than he ever has, he is not on the way down.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #249
wade moore
lolzcat

And, fwiw, in my league last year they both averaged 18 and change per game.

Quote:
Old 09-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #250
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Romo has better weapons than he ever has, he is not on the way down.

Like I said, that's an opinion.

Based on cold hard facts, there's no way Romo is "easily better" than Ryan.

Quote: