$19.95 on GamersGate.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #2802
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
$19.95 on GamersGate.

Hmmm, looks like it is time to take the plunge.

So, why is it no fun to play in the USA league? What is the problem?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #2803
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Steam also has it for 19.95.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #2804
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post

Just not well done enough IMO. Not a good balance, but it is playable. Nothing wrong with trying it though.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #2805
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

In my mind a lot of the fun is taking a team to the next level. MLS has no promotion/relegation, and isn't involved with the major continental competitions (European Champions League, Copa Libertadores).

FM had trouble implementing some of the MLS rules the first couple years - I think they've gotten it as close as you can now (considering MLS changes its rules every six months) - but there are a lot more restrictions. Some simple like a salary cap or cap on foreigners, but some just small and annoying. Plus if you start with real players, there are a few that dominate the league iirc - the FM team has acknowledged that the best American players are Premier-League level, but hasn't come around on the roster filler being anything better than League 2-esque.

I haven't played MLS in a few versions though, and as always, to each their own.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #2806
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, so recommend for me a few English teams to play as? I think I would prefer a team that is around average on talent, but with a decent working budget that will help me improve the team. Probably not a team that starts off in the Premier league as well.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #2807
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I think the best way may be to look around England and find one that has a Value (compared to other teams in its league) that looks good to you (working budget) as well as a Predicted Finish that looks good to you (judge of current talent).

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 07-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #2808
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Alright, so recommend for me a few English teams to play as? I think I would prefer a team that is around average on talent, but with a decent working budget that will help me improve the team. Probably not a team that starts off in the Premier league as well.

I'd recommend Southampton. I am currently playing a career with them now.

They start in D1, which is 2 divisions below the Premiere league, so you have something to work for. While they start with a -10 penalty (for some rules violation) you have a decent $2.5 million or so transfer budget and some good room on the salary budget (several thousand a week) to play with. The owner is also pretty rich and willing to spend. My favorite part of the game is wheeling and dealing, buying players and such, so this was a good fit.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #2809
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I'd look for one that has a decent enough size stadium and probably a youth academy. Everything else is up to you. Nothing says you can't just start over and try a different team/league/challenge.

A good idea would be to maybe pick a big team and just mess around to get the feel for it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #2810
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

just sprung for the game for my brother off Steam as a gift (well he's supposedly gonna pay me back).

Kinda a neat story. I've been playing for a decade now, and my brother has always found it fun to basically tease my "little team of computer generated italians" (or whatever I'm playing as). However now he's 15...he played on the freshman team this last year, he's running with a group of guys who are hardcore into soccer, particuarly EPL and such, and he's recently been taking more of a legit interest in the game, and when I explained it all to him he thought it was pretty cool, and even started to get possessive, and interested in how my San Marino team was doing.

So I asked him if he wanted one of my old versions once I moved and could get it out of the box it's in. He said sure. Told him I'd keep an eye out to see if 2010 was going on sale also, and when I just saw this sale I thought I'd grab it.

I'm sure it'll be a steep learning curve for him, but I'm hopeful that I'm creating another convert!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM   #2811
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I always recommend that first timers pick a bigger team, at least for their first foray into getting their feet wet and learning how the game works now. You do have the full level of complexity then, but you also generally have a talented squad that can get results (and thus keep you feeling positive about the game) even if you mess up their tactics or their morale. Bigger margin for error. Then for your first serious career you can do whatever you want.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #2812
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

How many goals should a target man be getting? I just starting using one this season, and I was wondering what you guys have experience with.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #2813
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I always recommend that first timers pick a bigger team, at least for their first foray into getting their feet wet and learning how the game works now. You do have the full level of complexity then, but you also generally have a talented squad that can get results (and thus keep you feeling positive about the game) even if you mess up their tactics or their morale. Bigger margin for error. Then for your first serious career you can do whatever you want.

I agree, my first couple of forays were EPL teams and I think it helped me a lot when I moved to Yeovil Town, and then later dynasties at Wrexham and Carlisle.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #2814
Bradley
n00b

$14.95 on Direct2Drive.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #2815
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
How many goals should a target man be getting? I just starting using one this season, and I was wondering what you guys have experience with.

Are you playing him in a support role or on attack? When I use a target man on support, goal scoring is more of a secondary job. He should be contributing the occasional goal, but his primary role is to get your other attackers involved.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #2816
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Attack role

Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #2817
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Attack role

A lot. Make sure he has good physical attributes and very good Off The Ball, and then also make sure the guys who are supposed to be feeding him (wingers, creative midfielders, etc...) are good at passing, creativity and crossing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #2818
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Attack role

That I can't help you with, other than to speak in generalities. The traditional ratio for a top goal scorer is 1 goal per 2 games. I wouldn't expect even an attacking target man to get to that unless he is really exceptional or your squad is miles ahead of the competition. Is your guy picking up assists but just not getting the biscuit into the basket?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #2819
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Finally we get a new stadium. We go from 3600 total capacity to 17324 and it will have undersoil heating! Sweet!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #2820
aran
High School Varsity

I lost my most recent save (file corruption, I think) and about 3 matches where we had played OK--but also a bit of the injury annoyance occured during those three matches. No worries, though, because I've had 3 AMLs go down in 4 games, all out for at least a month (2 good loan guys and an old standby who hangs around the reserve team most of the time).

FA Cup has been an experience so far for my Wrexham squad. We barely got through the qualifiers to begin with, which concerned me. FC United drew us and then we narrowly squeaked out a 2-1 victory in extra time of the replay. Next we drew League One Huddersfield, who were in pretty good form and were mid-table in their league play. We managed to win that one 1-0, but it was VERY tight. Next we played a league two squad we beat 1-0, though we played much better.

Wrexham move on to the third round of the FA Cup. The email says that we should look forward to playing such teams as Chelsea, Man Utd, and Liverpool. :shocked: This should be fun...

It'll be nice when this passage of 2- and 3-game weeks is behind us, though. That replay against FC United really messed our schedule up.

FA Trophy draw didn't come out well for us; we're playing the second hardest team to beat in the competition: fellow BSP stars York. The only difference between York's league record and ours is that we have drawn one where they won one.

Last edited by aran : 07-02-2010 at 11:40 AM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #2821
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
That I can't help you with, other than to speak in generalities. The traditional ratio for a top goal scorer is 1 goal per 2 games. I wouldn't expect even an attacking target man to get to that unless he is really exceptional or your squad is miles ahead of the competition. Is your guy picking up assists but just not getting the biscuit into the basket?

20 games in, 14 goals and 4 assists. I was expecting more assists, and that's about average for my best striker goal wise.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #2822
samifan24
Pro Starter

One of the problems I always have is understanding which types of players fit into my current system. For example, my starting striker at Brighton is a guy who dribbles past everyone and scores on the move. I picked up a striker who is more of a "strong striker" with good strength and so forth and he's been ice cold for me through his first five matches. In short, he is a good player but not at all like my #1 striker (I play a 4-5-1) and now I'm thinking the strong striker doesn't fit into my system. Does that make sense?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #2823
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
20 games in, 14 goals and 4 assists. I was expecting more assists, and that's about average for my best striker goal wise.

There are any number of reasons why the ratio might look like this. How does he score his goals? If you have good crossers playing the ball into him, that could do it.

Any way you slice it, with numbers like this I wouldn't touch the setup.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #2824
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Well, I just had the 2014 World Cup Draw. I am coaching Uruguay and we were a 3 seed but we ended up the 4th team picked in Group A. Thankfully, it seems that I should advance easily enough as I am with England, Wales and South Africa.

Poor USA, they were put in with Brazil, Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #2825
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Well, I just had the 2014 World Cup Draw. I am coaching Uruguay and we were a 3 seed but we ended up the 4th team picked in Group A. Thankfully, it seems that I should advance easily enough as I am with England, Wales and South Africa.

Poor USA, they were put in with Brazil, Germany and the United Arab Emirates.
See if some American billionaire was able to get some NBA players and NFL wide receivers onto the USA squad. We'll totally dominate that shit.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #2826
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So usually, I can start unemployed, then when a vacancy opens up in England Conference North/South, I can apply for it and be pretty much assured of getting it. This time, however, I started a career where I'm managing The Congo, while also looking for a club job as well. However, I've applied for two now, and they've both turned me down. I know the game gives you an initial boost in reputation at the beginning so I can get jobs, but I guess I don't have that now? Will I ever be able to get a club job doing it this way?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #2827
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Just curious what people recommend for essential add-ons to enhance the experience. I was considering some of the following... (all from FM Base)

50,000+ Player Facepack
9000+ Club and Competition Logos
BBC Sport 2010 Skin (I thought this one looked fairly good)
FM 2010 2D English Kits
Real Competition and Team Name Fix
FM 10 Ad Boards Pack
FM 2010 Sound Pack Addon

Which are essential and do any of them slow the game down quite a bit?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2828
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I just picked this up and was wondering what add-on I should add and where I should go to get them.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #2829
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Can someone let me know the best place to find FM 10 addons?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #2830
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

look at Carmen Bulldog's post right above yours - FM Base seems to have some nice ones.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 PM   #2831
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Duh sorry about that.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #2832
Warhammer
Pro Starter

OK, so what do you do when your strikers have all gone cold at the same time? We can't put a ball in the net to save our lives right now...
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #2833
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
OK, so what do you do when your strikers have all gone cold at the same time? We can't put a ball in the net to save our lives right now...

It depends.

I usually demand goals from them at the start of the match, expecting performances.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #2834
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Wow, I've never seen one of my matches postponed because of a waterlogged pitch before. That's awesome

Old 07-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #2835
aran
High School Varsity

I've had that happen on three separate occasions as Wrexham over the course of a year and a half. Apparently the Racecourse Ground has terrible drainage.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #2836
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

I usually change my tactics so that the scoring load isnt predicated upon them as much, simply shift their roles, our just bring up a less talented youngster for a few games, give the starters some time to rest and think about their place in the squad(which according to the developers actually happens)
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html

Last edited by Blade6119 : 07-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #2837
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Let's try this again,

I was able to win the group stage of the 2010 World Cup with USA. Other teams in my group? Spain, Brazil, and Australia.

I had the lead over Chile 4-1 in the 80th minute in the first match after group play. I fucking just lost 5-4 in ET. Im going to go smoke a pack of cigs.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #2838
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Let's try this again,

I was able to win the group stage of the 2010 World Cup with USA. Other teams in my group? Spain, Brazil, and Australia.

I had the lead over Chile 4-1 in the 80th minute in the first match after group play. I fucking just lost 5-4 in ET. Im going to go smoke a pack of cigs.

Oh that just sounds brutal, but at least it was against the CPU. My roomate's Man City team just beat my Man U team when David Villa got a hattrick...in injury time(for whatever reason it went an amazing 7 minutes ). When you go into the 90th minute of a match with a 2-0 lead and manage to lose, to your roomate who then proceeds to spend all morning giving you shit and singing the Man City supporter song, it sucks worse...trust me...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #2839
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

wait.. man city supporter's song?

you mean....

*grin, duck, run!*
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #2840
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Oh that just sounds brutal, but at least it was against the CPU. My roomate's Man City team just beat my Man U team when David Villa got a hattrick...in injury time(for whatever reason it went an amazing 7 minutes ). When you go into the 90th minute of a match with a 2-0 lead and manage to lose, to your roomate who then proceeds to spend all morning giving you shit and singing the Man City supporter song, it sucks worse...trust me...

I had a game as Barca against Real Madrid that I lost in the ninth minute of injury time. This was after it was called for four minutes. It's the only time I've felt like a ref was paid to make sure a team lost. I was convinced the game wouldn't end until Real scored.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #2841
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
give the starters some time to rest and think about their place in the squad(which according to the developers actually happens)

I do this one constantly when people act poorly after a while.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #2842
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I managed to sign the Egyptian wunderkid midfielder and he just scored on his debut in an European match. Yay!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #2843
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I was checking out old players I sold a few yeras ago, and I noticed that some chump GK I had picked up on a free, young, has developed into a 2.5 million GK and started two years with a 7+ average rating each year for a Turkish side. He really grew up! I wish he was as developed when he was on my side, I hte to see me let a guy ogo for 35 k when he turns into that.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #2844
Warhammer
Pro Starter

How does it work with two separate people playing on the same computer?
Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #2845
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Wow. I am Uruguay in the 2014 World Cup. Came in 2nd in Group A, beating Wales & South America and losing to England. Get Spain in the Knockout Round and go into the half down 2-0. I demand a win and the boys fire up scoring 3 straight and I advance.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #2846
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Still playing WSM 2009... worth the jump? I see it on Steam for 19.99 now (or at least when I looked yesterday it was).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #2847
Izulde
Head Coach

5 straight 0-0 games. This is getting damned annoying. I can't find any better strikers because we're a Level 10 team. It's been 2 months since we scored two goals in a game and it's not like I've been playing ultra-defensive either.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #2848
Warhammer
Pro Starter

My strikers have scored once in the last 10(?) games. If it wasn't for our (A)MCs, we'd be toast.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #2849
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Still playing WSM 2009... worth the jump? I see it on Steam for 19.99 now (or at least when I looked yesterday it was).

YUP! And if it's not that way on steam...look at D2D
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #2850
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
5 straight 0-0 games. This is getting damned annoying. I can't find any better strikers because we're a Level 10 team. It's been 2 months since we scored two goals in a game and it's not like I've been playing ultra-defensive either.

I had no problems finding my strikers with Diss....when you look at the results make sure your scout filters out the unrealistic prospects...it will get you the ones that will want to sign.