Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #251
Izulde
Head Coach

Thanks for the update.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #252
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

How about this one: in the Mike Rice fallout, a few players have transferred from Rutgers to play at other schools (some middle of the road, some premier like Eli Carter to Florida). All are applying for hardship waivers in order to be eligible immediately. One player has already received his to play at Iona immediately, and it was expected that they'd all get their waivers. Rutgers isn't putting up any fight in their transfers or for them to be able to play immediately.

Enter Kerwin Okoro. He was at Iowa State and is from the Bronx so he wanted to get closer to home for very obvious reasons, and he transferred to Rutgers. So he applied for his hardship waiver...and was denied. Why did he want to transfer? Because both his father and his brother died over the past year, from a stroke and colon cancer, respectively. But that doesn't deserve a hardship waiver.

What the fuck is wrong with these people?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #253
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And another. The NCAA is under the microscope and failing miserably.

Eye On College Basketball - CBSSports.com Montana State forward loses senior year over mindless NCAA decision
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #254
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Miami given notice that sanctions will likely be handed out tomorrow......

AP Source: Miami told to expect NCAA decision - SFGate
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #255
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It will be laughably sad considering they had enough evidence to give the death penalty (not that the NCAA will ever do that again)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #256
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It will be laughably sad considering they had enough evidence to give the death penalty (not that the NCAA will ever do that again)

SI

I've heard that the sanctions will include the death penalty for Grambling St. just to put them out of their misery.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #257
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

Under what criteria? This doesn't even approach the SMU situation.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #258
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Paying a couple million bucks to over 50 players across a few years with documented evidence right down to the receipts?

SI

Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #259
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Paying a couple million bucks to over 50 players across a few years with documented evidence right down to the receipts?

SI

And SMU was directly involved in paying players, got put on probation for that, and ignored their probation to continue paying players. Only after that last part did they get the death penalty. The athletic director and head coach were involved in all of this.

Now you can make the argument that eventhough Dee and Shannon were not involved in Shapiro's allegations, they should've known and so Miami deserves a punishment (even beyond what they've already self-imposed), but it's not close to the same situation as SMU.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-22-2013 at 06:49 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #260
Logan
Head Coach

Leaking out over Twitter: No additional bowl ban, 9 scholarships lost (3 per year for 3 years), and some penalties on official visits.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #261
RainMaker
General Manager

Schools should cheat more. Punishment is rarely bad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #262
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Leaking out over Twitter: No additional bowl ban, 9 scholarships lost (3 per year for 3 years), and some penalties on official visits.

So a slap on the wrist? NCAA should just disband now. What useful purpose are they actually serving?
Old 10-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #263
Logan
Head Coach

Also, Frank Haith has been suspended for 5 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
So a slap on the wrist? NCAA should just disband now. What useful purpose are they actually serving?

They had no shot at giving them any major penalties with how they screwed up the investigation internally.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #264
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Also, Frank Haith has been suspended for 5 games.

They had no shot at giving them any major penalties with how they screwed up the investigation internally.

I'm not sure they even had enough to warrant these penalties, but whatever.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #265
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not sure they even had enough to warrant these penalties, but whatever.

Of course they did, that's why Miami happily accepted them. We all know what happened here. The NCAA went full on Dexter/Vic Mackey in an attempt to prove how dirty Miami is because all these schools are dirty and yet it is still so difficult to prove.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #266
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Of course they did, that's why Miami happily accepted them. We all know what happened here. The NCAA went full on Dexter/Vic Mackey in an attempt to prove how dirty Miami is because all these schools are dirty and yet it is still so difficult to prove.

Is the NCAA handing out penalties based on what they can prove happened or what they think happened? We're on an extremely slippery slope if what you insinuate is true. The proof is not very good in this instance and the credibility of the NCAA is even worse than that if that's possible.

We're going to have a ton of people taking a really close look at this document and I fully expect there to be glaring deficiencies in the conclusions by the NCAA and a further pounding by the sports media.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #267
Logan
Head Coach

Blah, blah, blah.

Look, we all know you only have this stance because Haith has involvement in it. So feel free to rant on whatever you wish. No one is buying it.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #268
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah.

Look, we all know you only have this stance because Haith has involvement in it. So feel free to rant on whatever you wish. No one is buying it.

Yeah, judging from the past two years, it's only me that sees some issues with the NCAA.

Look, 5 games is as slap on the wrist as it gets with the NCAA. With that said, I'm pretty sure that slap isn't even fitting in this case. And I have little doubt that most would agree with me in this case outside of you apparently.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #269
digamma
Torchbearer

The NCAA isn't a court. It is a member institution an the members submit to its rules and jurisdiction. Get over yourself with the whole due process BS.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #270
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And I have little doubt that most would agree with me in this case outside of you apparently.

Put down the bong.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #271
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, judging from the past two years, it's only me that sees some issues with the NCAA.

Interesting that you went with two years, since it took me seven seconds to find you bitching about John Calipari getting away with shit back in 2010.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #272
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah.

Yeah it really ruins his credibility with his blind defense of Haith. The guy was obviously caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It didn't happen at Mizzou, 5 games is a slap on the wrist, you move on. But MBBF will continue with the legal shit and the KU rants he probably thinks OJ is innocent as well. I would be more happy if Mizzou would take a stand and fire his ass but I guess those first round exits to powerhouses Norfolk State and Colorado State and a 5th place SEC finish behind powerhouses Alabama and Ole Miss will be hard for a new coach to live up to.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #273
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
The NCAA isn't a court. It is a member institution an the members submit to its rules and jurisdiction. Get over yourself with the whole due process BS.

Quote:
Interesting that you went with two years, since it took me seven seconds to find you bitching about John Calipari getting away with shit back in 2010.

Both of you couldn't have hit the nail on the head any better. It is not a court and there's little due process. As Logan so correctly put it, if we're going to nail coaches for things we think they did as the NCAA apparently wants to do, I say let's go ahead and ban Calipari and Roy Williams for good and get busy doing it the way they'd like to do it.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #274
Logan
Head Coach

panerd, I like you, so feel free to put me on ignore for the rest of the day. No offense taken.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #275
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah it really ruins his credibility with his blind defense of Haith. The guy was obviously caught with his hand in the cookie jar. It didn't happen at Mizzou, 5 games is a slap on the wrist, you move on. But MBBF will continue with the legal shit and the KU rants he probably thinks OJ is innocent as well. I would be more happy if Mizzou would take a stand and fire his ass but I guess those first round exits to powerhouses Norfolk State and Colorado State and a 5th place SEC finish behind powerhouses Alabama and Ole Miss will be hard for a new coach to live up to.

There's no blind defense here. I've already said that I think Haith was guilty of something, but not anywhere near what the convicted felon and fired NCAA staff are accusing him of in this situation.

As for the team results, you obviously haven't been paying attention to what happens when the schedule switches around in the SEC. People were saying the same thing about Pinkel last year and they're looking as silly as this post likely will at the end of this basketball season.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #276
Logan
Head Coach

Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #277
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
panerd, I like you, so feel free to put me on ignore for the rest of the day. No offense taken.
>

I am anything but a Haith believer. For one he can't coach worth a lick in the postseason at either Miami or Mizzou and two I don't want to be a fan of a program that tries to win at any cost. Mizzou tried this already with Quin Snyder and it not only blew up in their face but sadly resulted in no success outside of an elite eight run with a average regular season team. I would much rather be the biggest name program to never reach a final four than whatever the hell Memphis wants to claim for its history.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #278
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm not sure why Logan continues to post these reporter tweets asking why there wasn't a bigger suspension. Everyone knows why that is and most of those same reporters have reported on it at length. The NCAA has lost all credibility and has no ability to make a charge stick. Miami and Haith both threatened to take legal action if they dropped the hammer. The NCAA had no proof that they could make stick, so they backed off. None of this should be surprising to anyone.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #279
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's no blind defense here. I've already said that I think Haith was guilty of something, but not anywhere near what the convicted felon and fired NCAA staff are accusing him of in this situation.

As for the team results, you obviously haven't been paying attention to what happens when the schedule switches around in the SEC. People were saying the same thing about Pinkel last year and they're looking as silly as this post likely will at the end of this basketball season.

A injury deprived offensive line and QB != Changing a couple of basketball games home/aways around.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #280
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure why Logan continues to post these reporter tweets asking why there wasn't a bigger suspension. Everyone knows why that is and most of those same reporters have reported on it at length. The NCAA has lost all credibility and has no ability to make a charge stick. Miami and Haith both threatened to take legal action if they dropped the hammer. The NCAA had no proof that they could make stick, so they backed off. None of this should be surprising to anyone.

He posts it for everyone to see. Not every thread is about you.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #281
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I have and will keep posting them because you care much more about anything "sticking" than you do about your school employing a complete fucking slimeball as your head coach. Just cop to it. Say the words, it'll come off as relief.

Last edited by Logan : 10-22-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #282
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He posts it for everyone to see. Not every thread is about you.

Actually this time I'm posting it just for him.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #283
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually this time I'm posting it just for him.

LOL
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #284
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I have and will keep posting them because you care much more about anything "sticking" than you do about your school employing a complete fucking slimeball as your head coach. Just cop to it. Say the words, it'll come off as relief.

Ah yes. The 'your coach is a slimeball' defense in college athletics. It always comes in handy. The quicker you realize that everyone is cheating at some level because of the NCAA's incompetence, the better off you'll be.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #285
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah yes. The 'your coach is a slimeball' defense in college athletics. It always comes in handy. The quicker you realize that everyone is cheating at some level because of the NCAA's incompetence, the better off you'll be.

The NCAA does suck. I think you would get agreement on just that point. But defending Haith in this case is just silly.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #286
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
The NCAA does suck. I think you would get agreement on just that point. But defending Haith in this case is just silly.

It's no worse than relying on the information provided by a convicted felon and two NCAA staff members who were fired.

No one is defending Haith here. I've said numerous times he was guilty of something, but so are most coaches. It's just a matter of which scab the NCAA decides to pick on any given day.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #287
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Been there, done that, although not with cheating. Mike Rice. It's called "not defending the indefensible". Pretty easy concept.

And so everyone is cheating, everyone knows it. Yet you "think Haith is guilty of something" but it can't possibly be at the level of those things unearthed by a convicted felon and what the NCAA (improperly) obtained. Why do you feel that way?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #288
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's no worse than relying on the information provided by a convicted felon and two NCAA staff members who were fired.

No one is defending Haith here. I've said numerous times he was guilty of something, but so are most coaches. It's just a matter of which scab the NCAA decides to pick on any given day.

Well in this particular case it was brought to their attention so they had to react. But yes, they dont have much consistency to what they do. And yes, probably many coaches cheat all of the time and dont get caught.

The NCAA should make a statement. "Dont cheat too bad and stay under the radar and we will leave you alone."
Old 10-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #289
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well in this particular case it was brought to their attention so they had to react. But yes, they dont have much consistency to what they do. And yes, probably many coaches cheat all of the time and dont get caught.

The NCAA should make a statement. "Dont cheat too bad and stay under the radar and we will leave you alone."

Or quit pretending you're really there for the 'student-athlete'.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #290
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I suspect they are. We'll find out in 10 years. Then again, if you're Yahoo, why sink resources into finding these things out if nothing happens. It gets page hits for a few days but I can't imagine they make back when they have to spend.

SI

Old 10-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #291
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did I miss where Bruce Pearl was suspended for 5000 games?

SI

Old 10-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #292
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did I miss where Bruce Pearl was suspended for 5000 games?

SI

He was given a show cause, and is pretty much out of basketball for 3-4 years or whatever. It's not a "suspension" per say because he was handed the punishment after leaving Tennessee, but no one is going to hire him.

Same reason Tressel is out of the coaching game right now, and Kelly would be hit with it if he were to leave the Eagles to go back to the college game.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-22-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Renegade Miami football booster spells out illicit benefits to players - Yahoo Sports

Are you saying that everything or at least most of the things Yahoo came up that wasn't from Shapiro, even the stories that corroborated his, was from a pair of NCAA staffers?

SI

Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #294
Logan
Head Coach

Yes, that's what he's saying.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #295
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He was given a show cause, and is pretty much out of basketball for 3-4 years or whatever. It's not a "suspension" per say because he was handed the punishment after leaving Tennessee, but no one is going to hire him.

Same reason Tressel is out of the coaching game right now, and Kelly would be hit with it if he were to leave the Eagles to go back to the college game.

Mike Alden was clear to Haith that if a show cause penalty was handed out, Haith would be fired immediately.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #296
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Here's the report for those that want to read it. There's some pretty amazing 'factual conclusions' that they come to based on the evidence or lack thereof within the report.

NCAA
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #297
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mike Alden was clear to Haith that if a show cause penalty was handed out, Haith would be fired immediately.

Maybe the NCAA figured the bigger penalty was having Haith there

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #298
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Here's the report for those that want to read it. There's some pretty amazing 'factual conclusions' that they come to based on the evidence or lack thereof within the report.

NCAA

Honestly, it's like you are angry at the kid in the wheelchair for not being able to walk.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #299
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

USC begs to differ. This is ridiculous. 1 player getting paid by an outside agent is punished much worse than a school which paid dozens of players through a much more public outside agent.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC begs to differ. This is ridiculous. 1 player getting paid by an outside agent is punished much worse than a school which paid dozens of players through a much more public outside agent.

While I 100% agree with you on this being complete bullshit, it goes to show you it is better off not dragging your feet on everything for four years or being arrogant and defiant the whole time.

The NCAA is utterly corrupt--but the schools have all bought in. Until they leave the NCAA, they might as well cooperate as best as they can and hope for the best.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote