Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #251
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm surprised more countries haven't been more aggressive doing this for basketball.

The reason why itīs not done more often is very simple : You canīt have more than 1 such "naturalized" player on the roster in all the official FIBA tournaments.

Also, even the US did it with Olajuwon.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #252
Desnudo
Coordinator

nice clothesline by world peace last night. Dick Butkus would be proud.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #253
MrBug708
Head Coach

Former UCLA start, JR Henderson played in Japan for a while and even changed his name to become a citizen

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #254
korme
Go Reds

Worst drawing ever?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #255
korme
Go Reds

Miami 2nd possession: Ball goes in post to Pittman, he puts his head down, dribbles ineffectively a couple of times, goes under the hoop and gets rejected by Hibbert. I think they're done trying that experiment
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #256
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Miami 2nd possession: Ball goes in post to Pittman, he puts his head down, dribbles ineffectively a couple of times, goes under the hoop and gets rejected by Hibbert. I think they're done trying that experiment

I don't know why they are hesitant to start Joel Anthony. On offense he's a negative but he's the only guy big enough to deal with David West or Hibbert on the other end.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #257
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I've never been such a fan of the Pacers

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #258
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I've never been such a fan of the Pacers

The way that Miami can automatically make me a fan of whatever team they are playing is amazing.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #259
Groundhog
Coordinator

dola

I even bought a Dirk jersey following the Finals last season.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #260
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Assuming Indy wins this, Joey Crawford or another Stern Flunky has to be in for game 4. Can't have Miami go down 3-1.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #261
ColtCrazy
College Starter

When I bought my tickets for Game 4 on Sunday, and then watched game 1...I was hoping I wouldn't be there for a close out game. Instead, I'm extremely pumped about this game. Going to be huge. Pacers win that, and I think they win the series. Going to be a crazy arena that afternoon. I can't wait!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #262
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
When I bought my tickets for Game 4 on Sunday, and then watched game 1...I was hoping I wouldn't be there for a close out game. Instead, I'm extremely pumped about this game. Going to be huge. Pacers win that, and I think they win the series. Going to be a crazy arena that afternoon. I can't wait!

I think whoever wins game four wins the series.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #263
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I really enjoyed watching this Indiana team. After what I've seen of Wade these playoffs, I'm just not sure he's that great a player. He can't hit 3s at all (0 for the playoffs), his mid-range shooting is average and unless he gets to the free throw line or fast break chances - he's not a great offensive player.

He's reminding me a ton of Iverson in that he's a volume scorer that basically ends up with one point per shot taken. Lebron is Lebron, he's going to get you 20+ points on 50% shooting with a bunch of rebs, assists and steals. But if you can't run and he's not getting touch fouls, I'm not sure how Wade scores in the halfcourt. I honestly think they would have been much better off without Wade but with Bosh. I mean, Wade had twice as many turnovers as FG made during a night where his best was needed for them to have a chance.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #264
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
I think whoever wins game four wins the series.

I would agree with this.

Although if Joey Crawford is there, and some crazed fan attacks him prior to the game, can anyone here provide an alibi for me?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #265
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
He's reminding me a ton of Iverson in that he's a volume scorer that basically ends up with one point per shot taken. Lebron is Lebron, he's going to get you 20+ points on 50% shooting with a bunch of rebs, assists and steals. But if you can't run and he's not getting touch fouls, I'm not sure how Wade scores in the halfcourt. I honestly think they would have been much better off without Wade but with Bosh. I mean, Wade had twice as many turnovers as FG made during a night where his best was needed for them to have a chance.

Wade's best skill has always been his ability to attack the basket and either finish in traffic or draw fouls. It's hard not to imagine that he's going to decline rather quickly now that he's on the wrong side of 30.

With LeBron's ability to handle and pass, he'll be able to play as long as he likes even once his explosiveness is gone.

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #266
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I love seeing this. If the Pacers win this series it will be one of the happiest moments of my life as a sports fan. Love seeing the Heat fall on their face in the absence of the member of the trio who many consider to be the least valuable to the team.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #267
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Go Pacers!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #268
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

lol @Miami Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #269
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Wade's best skill has always been his ability to attack the basket and either finish in traffic or draw fouls. It's hard not to imagine that he's going to decline rather quickly now that he's on the wrong side of 30.

With LeBron's ability to handle and pass, he'll be able to play as long as he likes even once his explosiveness is gone.

I always thought of Wade as a taller version of young Baron Davis.

I fully expected him to go down Davis' path with injuries et al.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #270
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
I always thought of Wade as a taller version of young Baron Davis.

I fully expected him to go down Davis' path with injuries et al.
Davis was a much better perimeter player and could post up. It seems like Wade's entire offensive game is to bull-rush the rim and hope for a whistle. His mid-range and 3-point shooting is terrible and he rarely moves without the ball. If Lebron isn't scoring, he can help you in other areas (defense, rebounding, assists...). If Wade goes 2-13 like tonight, he just kills your team.

I would hate to see what the national media would do to Lebron if he had a 2-13 night tonight, but Wade seems to get a pass for some reason. He'll get some criticism, but not nearly as much as Lebron for tonight - who finished with 22 pts, 7 reb, 3 ast, 2 stl and shot nearly 50%.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #271
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Although if Joey Crawford is there, and some crazed fan attacks him prior to the game, can anyone here provide an alibi for me?

I suspect the NBA has several cloned Joey Crawfords and Dick Bavettas to back up the originals, just in case. The Pacers have no prayer.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #272
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

In other news, the Spurs are kind of good.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #273
whomario
Pro Starter

Anybody remember when "Lebron at PF" was all the rage ? Yeah, well ... The Dexter Pittman experiment was pretty entertaining. Feel sort of bad for him, but damn was that predictable.

Another small example of why Hibbert has actually gotten really good. Not the greatest talent but he works really hard (thereīs been a terrific Grantland article detailing how he basically needs to put in hours and hours of work to get his coordination up for the task) and actually has the mentality to accept challenges, sth many big guys donīt have. He saw Pittman out there and basically went "wait, are you serious ?" and immediately put the breaks on that.

@ Matthean : They are and i hope they end up winning it all, the way they play is just fun to watch. Picking up Diaw could end up being huge and with OKCs not-exactly offensive minded frontcourt he can expect many minutes as well, then OKC has to decide if they put Ibaka on him and be drawn outside the paint or put Ibaka on Duncan whoīll make him pay if he leaves him to block shots (as the spurs are pretty much brilliant when it comes to dumbing the ball off against the help)
The Lakers would pose a bigger threat with their frontcourt theoretically, but since they (read "Kobe") refuse to utilize them ... Plus Parker would have a field day as aparently getting Sessions didnīt change the fact that the Lakers canīt defend scoring PGs at all.

Hope Manu stays healthy for another couple of years, hope to see a fully bald Manu still juking and faking his way around defenders

@ Arles : Thereīs no denying though that he was a great player in his prime. That he isnīt now is a statement i can live with, but over his career so far he was.
And that him and James have skillsets that donīt 100% overlap is clear.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-18-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #274
whomario
Pro Starter

Rajon Rondo is incredible. I get he can be frustrating for Boston Fans and sure he has his limitations, but as a neutral basketball fan with a general "glass half full" mentality i canīt help but be amazed by his passing ability (he literally puts every pass right where guys need it) and vision.

Heīs also one of those players where iīm not sure another "version" will come around anytime soon.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #275
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see the reds are doling their best to keep the sixers in the game, (although the Celtics should have put them away before now)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #276
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Nice to see the reds are doling their best to keep the sixers in the game, (although the Celtics should have put them away before now)

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #277
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #278
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Give me a break. I'm not saying the C's havent let the sixers back into it.. but there is NO way the sixers should be +18 on free throws
Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #279
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Give me a break. I'm not saying the C's havent let the sixers back into it.. but there is NO way the sixers should be +18 on free throws

What game have you been watching? I'm surprised the Sixers haven't been mauled by a tiger yet on D.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #280
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's the third time ttheyve tried the back door cut to Allen and each time its been a to
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #281
Desnudo
Coordinator

Celtics should be up by 30. No one to blame but themselves. The refs are calling a shitty game all around that's ruining what is already a bad tempo.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #282
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And even the espn folks are questioning the refs
Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #284
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a free throw competition will decide this one
Old 05-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #286
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You're ignoring what ive said that it doesn't excuse the ceeltics letting them back in it
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #287
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And the celtics are doing a SHITTY job on the defensive rebounds

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-18-2012 at 09:35 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #288
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And now it looks like the refs have changed teams.. celtics only have one team foul while they are shooting the rest of the way

Last edited by SirFozzie : 05-18-2012 at 09:40 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #290
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

WTF, Boston was just winning bu 16. Thee really is no point to watching basketball until the last 2 minutes
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #291
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're ignoring what ive said that it doesn't excuse the ceeltics letting them back in it

I'm just messing with you. I don't really care about the Sixers. I'm a complete bandwagon fan there. Will enjoy it if they win but them losing won't affect me.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #292
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Iggy!!
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #293
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Big shots made by the sixers. I still like our chances in a best of three with games five and seven at home
Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #295
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Why do I continue to read Bill Simmons? If you didn't already know, you'd have no idea the Pacers were even in the playoffs after reading his article. He counts the Celtics as contenders, but not the Pacers? I really need to stop reading his articles.

Although, I won't be a homer when I say this...the real championship is going to be the Western Conference Finals. The actual Finals will be an after thought, regardless of who win the East.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 PM   #296
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Why do I continue to read Bill Simmons? If you didn't already know, you'd have no idea the Pacers were even in the playoffs after reading his article. He counts the Celtics as contenders, but not the Pacers? I really need to stop reading his articles.

I'm trying to figure out whether he's gotten way more annoying in the last couple of years, or whether I've just grown as a person. I really don't think I've grown as a person at all, but was I really missing this for all those years? Because he is just obnoxious now.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #297
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't actually read his stuff a great deal anymore, but grantland has gotten lots better lately.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That 3 was a bit deep from Durant. Lakers pull it out thanks to making all of those shots on the line.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #299
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I'm trying to figure out whether he's gotten way more annoying in the last couple of years, or whether I've just grown as a person. I really don't think I've grown as a person at all, but was I really missing this for all those years? Because he is just obnoxious now.

Interesting thought. You may have something there because it seems since grantland, he's gotten worse as a writer (his sophomoric comments have increased, as have his biases in his writing). He's not even the best writer on his own site, maybe not even top 3.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #300
Desnudo
Coordinator

i think he's gotten older and more cranky. Plus he's more management now than content.