Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #4701
Izulde
Head Coach

Dorm move in day is 3 weeks after the end of the 4 day semester?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #4702
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If your daughter doesn't understand that's a scam then (no offense intended) you probably shouldn't let her out of the house.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #4703
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Dorm move in day is 3 weeks after the end of the 4 day semester?

Dorm move is 3 weeks after the end of the summer school class she has to pass to get her diploma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
If your daughter doesn't understand that's a scam then (no offense intended) you probably shouldn't let her out of the house.

My daughter is fascinated by anything with the word "Korea" associated with it. She is also one of those kids whose mother took her to every modeling class and enrolled her in every beauty pageant because according to the people you pay money to, "This kid has talent!" They never understood that if you are going to get your "big chance," it isn't going to be somewhere you have to pay to play.

If she had a job and wanted to pay her own way, I would go with her so that when she got there and found she had been ripped off, I could make sure she didn't end up in a ditch somewhere, eh?
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #4704
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #4705
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Dorm move is 3 weeks after the end of the summer school class she has to pass to get her diploma.

My daughter is fascinated by anything with the word "Korea" associated with it. She is also one of those kids whose mother took her to every modeling class and enrolled her in every beauty pageant because according to the people you pay money to, "This kid has talent!" They never understood that if you are going to get your "big chance," it isn't going to be somewhere you have to pay to play.

If she had a job and wanted to pay her own way, I would go with her so that when she got there and found she had been ripped off, I could make sure she didn't end up in a ditch somewhere, eh?

Wasn't trying to be harsh ya know...was more just a "yikes...open your eyes kid!" kinda thing. Otherwise the world will eat her up.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #4706
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wasn't trying to be harsh ya know...was more just a "yikes...open your eyes kid!" kinda thing. Otherwise the world will eat her up.

I completely understand. In a way, she's like me in that she seems better at giving advice than taking it. I heard she was very much against her cousin meeting a boy that she met online who is from some Western Europe country. Apparently the boy is currently staying with my cousin & seems cool. On the other hand my daughter still considers her 1st boyfriend to be a guy from Atlanta she met online when she was 14 who wanted to fly her down there to meet him. He said he was 15. When her mom said no, he was going to fly up to Detroit to meet her. Thank God that never happened.

I look at her getting away to go to school as hopefully a time where she learns a thing or two in life. Hopefully...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #4707
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

So, the jury was sick and crying to return the verdict, but it was the only verdict they could return because the prosecution didn't prove cause of death or motive, and didn't allow an option to a lesser charge. Makes sense. She would have been convicted of involuntary manslaughter or something to the affect.

Casey Anthony Juror: Jury Sick to Stomach Over Not Guilty Verdict - ABC News
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #4708
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We need to move to a touch screen ordering system at fast food drive thrus. The average worker is no longer competent enough to listen, digest, and place your order. Every time I hear "I'm sorry, can you repeat that" I want to shove my foot up that persons ass. It is one thing if perhaps they say "did you mean X or did you mean Y". That at least shows they attempted to try. But the fucks who say "huh" make me think we need to reduce the minimum wage.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #4709
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Alternative is to just stop going to fast food.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #4710
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Very true. Was just trying to get the Kiddos a donut and became infuriated during the process.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #4711
JediKooter
Coordinator

I always just go inside. Especially if I have an order that may not be the most straight forward of orders.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #4712
larrymcg421
Head Coach

In their defense, having worked fast food many years ago, sometimes the order comes through the speaker sounding like the adults on Charlie Brown.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4713
Autumn
Head Coach

It is crazy that they don't have a touch screen. All the person inside is doing is pressing the buttons on a touch screen, right? Let's cut out the middleman.

Then again, next we'd be complaining about how the average American can't seem to understand the touch screen ordering system at the drive thru.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #4714
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I trust any idiot teenager to be much quicker working a screen(after a day or 2) than the majority of the people who are patrons of a fast food establishment. As sad as that is.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #4715
Ksyrup

"Where the hell's the 'light on the mayo, half pickles, lettuce on the side, toasted bun' button on this damn thing!!!"
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #4716
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
"Where the hell's the 'light on the mayo, half pickles, lettuce on the side, toasted bun' button on this damn thing!!!"

This. Also we still have a decently sized portion of society who can't use a PC properly. Can't imagine the hilarity that will ensue when grandma is in front of you trying to figure out which buttons to press for 30 minutes during peak hours at McDonalds. Unless you have an express lane and a regular, it's just not going to work.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #4717
Autumn
Head Coach

An express lane for the competent, I like this idea.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #4718
Ksyrup

That's what they have at grocery stores now. I don't see why this has to be that different.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #4719
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I always just go inside. Especially if I have an order that may not be the most straight forward of orders.

This
Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #4720
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's what they have at grocery stores now. I don't see why this has to be that different.

Considering how poorly that seems to work at most places (with crappy mechanical reliability + consumer confusion + anecdotal 75% of shoppers requiring some human assistance) I can only imagine how well it would go in a drive-thru scenario. Might as well just hire car hops.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #4721
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Because you have fewer lines at a fast food place. And the idiots will still try to go through the express line.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #4722
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Considering how poorly that seems to work at most places (with crappy mechanical reliability + consumer confusion + anecdotal 75% of shoppers requiring some human assistance) I can only imagine how well it would go in a drive-thru scenario. Might as well just hire car hops.

Really? My experience has been it works great. I rarely need assistance, or see people requiring assistance other than to hand over coupons, which is a purposeful design of the system in most places.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #4723
Ksyrup

This is about as random a thought as there is, which lead to unexpected results when I followed up on it.

I saw the pic of Davey Johnson on the MLB page on ESPN.com, and I couldn't believe how old he looked. And then I remembered that his daughter, Andrea, went to college with me and how hot she was - which was the running joke at school, how a girl that hot could be his daughter. All I really remember is that she used to wave board and ski Lake Hollingsworth in Lakeland pretty much every day.

Anyway, I wanted to follow-up on what happened to her, and it turns out she left school before graduating and became a top professional surfer. But she also had schizophrenia and died in 2005 from septic shock related to the medications she was taking for it. Pretty sad.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-07-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #4724
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Really? My experience has been it works great. I rarely need assistance, or see people requiring assistance other than to hand over coupons, which is a purposeful design of the system in most places.

+1, never had a single issue myself and many many times at the grocery store I see all 4 self serve lines are in use and the person assigned to that area to help not being needed at all.

I also occasionally go to the local sheetz for stuff and will get a pretzel or something using their touch screen ordering system and have never had any issues there either.

And of course as many here know the company I work for implements touch screen check-in systems at doctors offices that auto verify patient insurance before they ever have to talk to someone. Some of them even have little scanning devices to scan your insurance card yourself, some of them have you watch a video (some MRI centers have a mandatory disclaimer thing you have to agree to and they go over it w/ an embedded 30 second video during checkin)... the patient response has been overwhelmingly positive in all kinds of clinics, and something like 30-35% of our patient volume is medicare (ie presumbly older/often elderly) patients.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #4725
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yep, I very rarely use the self use lines. Most people in front of you are slower and the mechanism itself has been dumbed down with unneeded alerts, prompts and buttons that slow the whole process down.

More often that not that clerk who's done nothing but scan groceries for a couple months is going to be much quicker.

That said, I used to work at a supermarket that posted statistics on items scanned per minute. We were competitive about that .

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #4726
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I rarely have problems either but I think we are discounting how inept the general population is with technology at times. Unfortunately, Wal-Mart is the only place in town here for your general shopping. I can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody have excess shit in the baggage area, have trouble finding the barcode to scan, constantly hitting "I dont want to bag this item" which then somehow causes problems, etc.

But the technology obviously isn't perfect as it seems like 25% of the self-scanners are "down" every time I'm there.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #4727
Ksyrup

98% of the the time, I don't even have to wait in line for the self-scanner. Always open, always available. I'm out of the store in record time.

But maybe that's because I'm using them at Meijer's and Kroger and not Wal-Mart.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #4728
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

+1000
Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #4729
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
But maybe that's because I'm using them at Meijer's and Kroger and not Wal-Mart.

Was thinking that myself.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #4730
Ksyrup

So then...what I'm gathering from this discussion is that automated fast food drive-throughs woud work better at Chick-Fil-A than McDonald's?
Old 07-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #4731
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So then...what I'm gathering from this discussion is that automated fast food drive-throughs woud work better at Chick-Fil-A than McDonald's?

Perhaps.

Then again, I see the same thing across the board at grocery stores (with the exception of Publix where simply no one ever seem to use the lonely self-checkout), no difference in Wal-Mart versus any of those. And this is largely in the "good part" of town where the core shopper is either a university employee, a government employee of some type, and/or from a single-income upper middle class household.

I wonder if, rather than say education/income/class driven, the difference comes with something like cultural region or something. I know a lot of people who've never really forgiven the invention of self-service gas.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #4732
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Perhaps.

Then again, I see the same thing across the board at grocery stores (with the exception of Publix where simply no one ever seem to use the lonely self-checkout), no difference in Wal-Mart versus any of those. And this is largely in the "good part" of town where the core shopper is either a university employee, a government employee of some type, and/or from a single-income upper middle class household.

I wonder if, rather than say education/income/class driven, the difference comes with something like cultural region or something. I know a lot of people who've never really forgiven the invention of self-service gas.

Yeah - must be a regional thing. But then again that regional thing ties back to some of those other factors also (not entirely, but they're a large contributor).
Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #4733
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
98% of the the time, I don't even have to wait in line for the self-scanner. Always open, always available. I'm out of the store in record time.

What are Meijer's and Kroger? Better version of Walmart?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #4734
Rizon
Pro Starter

Conversation with my wife about adding her as a beneficiary on my life insurance.

Rizon: "If I die, I think my brother gets like 50% of my monies right now, including but not limited to my lvl 85 Warlock, Priest and Warrior."

Mrs. Rizon: "And me and Kira* are living on the street BBQing Rona** just to survive.. So not cool!"

Legend:
* my baby
** my dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #4735
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Shows your relationship that she doesn't seem to blink by your mention of your WoW characters Kudos!
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #4736
JediKooter
Coordinator

Unfortunately, where I live, the people here are fascinated by the magical technology of the self check out lanes, so I avoid those lanes as much as possible.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 07-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #4737
cuervo72
Head Coach

I avoid them because if I don't IMMEDIATELY PUT THAT 12-PACK OF DIET COKE IN A BAG ON THE SCALE, ANGRY COMPUTER LADY WILL SCOLD ME FOR EVERYONE TO HEAR AND ACCUSE ME OF THEFT. So I say "Screw you Angry Computer Lady, I'll deal with the human."
Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #4738
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What are Meijer's and Kroger? Better version of Walmart?

Meijer is. Kroger is mainly a grocery store.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #4739
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Unfortunately, where I live, the people here are fascinated by the magical technology of the self check out lanes, so I avoid those lanes as much as possible.

I use the self checkout lanes all the time, but I know the limitations between convenience and speed. If I have < 10-12 items and common produce, I go to the self checkout line. More than that and it is easier to go to a checkout.

Unfortunately, most people are too stupid to realize their limitations so they take their 2 cart fulls through the self checkout line and take 20 minutes. Idiots.

Many people are just too stupid/slow to use automated things.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 07-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #4740
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

having just finished up season 2 of Justified, I've decided I really dislike Jeremy Davies
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #4741
Suicane75
Coordinator

So I wake up this morning to find out that a trade in one of my fantasy leagues has been vetoed. I start pitching a fit, only to be told that one of the guys who vetoed it is the guy who co-owns my team, the guy who asked me to the run the team in the first place. Now not only does this make me look like an idiot for pitching a fit, but it also undermines anything I do from here on out because who the hell knows if he's gonna pull the same shit again.

The trade was me sending Heyward & Chacin for Ubaldo.

His rationale for not wanting to do the trade? "Ubaldo is normally a good first half pitcher". He knows this because Ubaldo had a good first half last year......WHEN HE FIRST STARTED WATCHING BASEBALL. And...and this is the good one. "I don't want to give him two good players, I hate that guy". In reference to the dude I made the trade with.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #4742
Ksyrup

Shouldn't there be a rule against a team vetoing its own trade? If you have the authority to make the trade, it is legal unless disallowed for other reasons. To permit this trade to be vetoed essentially allows your "team" (the single entity, as opposed to the two people who run it) to renege on a deal with the other team. It's the functional equivalent of you emailing the commissioner and telling him you've had second thoughts and want to cancel the trade - I can't imagine that would be allowed, would it?

Basically, my argument would be that this is an issue between you and your co-owner, but that the trade should still go through. I don't know what your relationship is with the co-owner and what ground rules you set on who can make deals and who has final authority, etc., but if I was the other team and this was the only veto, I'd protest that a team can't veto its own trade for the reasons I stated above.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #4743
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Shouldn't there be a rule against a team vetoing its own trade? If you have the authority to make the trade, it is legal unless disallowed for other reasons. To permit this trade to be vetoed essentially allows your "team" (the single entity, as opposed to the two people who run it) to renege on a deal with the other team. It's the functional equivalent of you emailing the commissioner and telling him you've had second thoughts and want to cancel the trade - I can't imagine that would be allowed, would it?

Basically, my argument would be that this is an issue between you and your co-owner, but that the trade should still go through. I don't know what your relationship is with the co-owner and what ground rules you set on who can make deals and who has final authority, etc., but if I was the other team and this was the only veto, I'd protest that a team can't veto its own trade for the reasons I stated above.

According to him, half the league vetoed the trade (We're a 10 team league). I don't know who did what though. Right after I posted my dismay last night another owner popped in and agreed with me. I have a feeling that if my co-owner hadn't vetoed it I could have gotten it done.

We really never set any ground rules, except that I was under the impression it was my team to run. In the year and a half we've been doing this he's never made any roster moves and has made lineup changes 2 or 3 times. Dudes been my best friend since 2nd grade so.....I dunno, I just never fathomed he'd do this.

The funny thing is right after I got his email explaining why he did it, another owner who he works with chimed in on why he vetoed it and it was the exact same rationale as my co owner which made it pretty clear he was taking his advice. Trade has been under evaluation for two days and he never called or emailed me expressing his concerns or anything.

I just dropped out.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #4744
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I use the self checkout lanes all the time, but I know the limitations between convenience and speed. If I have < 10-12 items and common produce, I go to the self checkout line. More than that and it is easier to go to a checkout.

Unfortunately, most people are too stupid to realize their limitations so they take their 2 cart fulls through the self checkout line and take 20 minutes. Idiots.

Many people are just too stupid/slow to use automated things.

If there is no one at the self check out line, I'll go to it, but, if there's even just one person there, it's just not a risk I'm willing to take and will find a line with a human checker.

The self check out lines are for people with 10 or 15 items or less at the store I go to, so at least we don't have people will full carts trying to use them. Yes, people are stupid when it comes to things like these and ATM machines...press buttons, get money, leave. Don't stare at it like you've just been hypnotized.

These people here, just stare and point at it like it's some kind of exhibit. I'd hate to see when they find out you can send pictures through a phone.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #4745
Ksyrup

At the Mejier here, there are 4 express lane self-checkouts and 4 regular/conveyor belt self-checkouts for bigger orders. At the end of the belt where you bag, there's a sliding divider so that you can bag your stuff while the next person in line checks their stuff. It works pretty well.

I generally like to go through a regular line if I've got a full cart, but every now and then we'll use the self-checkout and I'll bag while the wife checks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-08-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #4746
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Our local store had 4 self-checkout lanes, and recently got rid of them in the last few months. Not sure what the rationale was.

Having worked in a grocery store through HS, I'd find myself behind people in line, critiquing the order people scanned things or how they bagged them.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #4747
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Sitting here waiting patiently for Verizon guy who will be installing my FIOS connection today.

10mb more download? 30mb more upload? More TV channels? $30 less a month? Yes please. Good riddance Comcast.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #4748
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Sitting here waiting patiently for Verizon guy who will be installing my FIOS connection today.

10mb more download? 30mb more upload? More TV channels? $30 less a month? Yes please. Good riddance Comcast.

FIOS is tasty.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4749
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I don't remember which thread it was in (may have been in this thread or maybe the HIMYM thread), but somebody had taken a screenshot of their TV in an episode of HIMYM where there was an ad on Marshall's computer for Bad Teacher. Consumerist recently posted about a couple other instances of that happening with HIMYM. Never thought it was so prevalent. Guess I never gave it much thought, though.

TV With 2011 "Country Strong" Promo Inserted Into 2009 HIMYM Rerun - The Consumerist
Magazine With Ad For "Zookeeper" Digitally Inserted Into "How I Met Your Mother" Rerun - The Consumerist

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #4750
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
FIOS is tasty.

Yeah, its been up and down rt 9 for awhile know, but they finally extended it about the 20 meters off rt 9 that I needed.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-08-2011 at 01:23 PM.