Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm all for some Linsanity in Game 4, even if Melo will get in the way. Especially if he goes HAM after being out for a few months. But again, doubtful.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #102
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Brooklyn revealed their color scheme and logos today:

Not bad, but nothing very exciting either. I am a fan of plain, but these are SUPER plain

Dola

This looks like clip art. Fine with the black/white color scheme change, but feel like they could've used all of their billions to hire a proper designer to make them a logo that doesn't look so shitty.

But I imagine there will be updates and with the lead time, one figures the uniforms should be decent. If nothing else, it'll be street gear and I think that's all Jay-Z was trying to do in the first place.

I do like the small shields as secondary items, but...in general, I feel like the identity needs to really be fleshed out.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-01-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #103
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Can you amnesty a player you trade for ? I couldnīt find anything in the wording that would prohibite that (states only that the contract has to have been signed before the CBA started, not that it has to be with the team currently at) and since you can use it whenever you like as long as the CBA runs ...
That would be a sort of an out-clause for a team that hasnīt used it yet and trades for him, just see for a season what he has left in another situation and then make a decicion next year.

If you're referring to the Knicks, as far as I know, you can only amnesty one contract anyway, and they already did that with Chauncey Billups.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #104
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think it may need a trim of one more colour to make it stand out and not look like someone printed out a B&W print of their logo.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #105
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
If you're referring to the Knicks, as far as I know, you can only amnesty one contract anyway, and they already did that with Chauncey Billups.

no, iīm referring to any team that would trade for him and still have their amnesty
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #106
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You know that line from the Godfather movies.. "just when I thought I was out they pull me back in...". That's the Celtics
There is NO way they should be in this game without Rondo.. never mind leading by four with two to play
Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #107
chadritt
High School Varsity

The Hawks are without 2 centers, one of whom is an all star. I cant see the games since im working until 8 pacific every night but im assuming thats not helping.

Last edited by chadritt : 05-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #108
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I am clearly a jinx to the Celtics. Since 2008, the Hawks and Celtics have played in 9 playoff games. The Celtics have lost every game I have attended (0-4) and won every game I have not attended (5-0).

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #110
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

that's ok.. don't feel like you're obligated to.. the arena experience sucks compared to watching from home anyway..
Old 05-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #111
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I am planning on attending game 5, but the good news is they should be up 3-1 if tradition holds, so I can watch them lose game 5 and then they'll win the series in game 6.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #112
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
no, iīm referring to any team that would trade for him and still have their amnesty

No you can't use it on a player you traded for.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #113
RainMaker
General Manager

There is nothing more depressing than getting my playoff tickets and looking forwar to a long and fun experience. Now I get to watch the Bulls give up 108 points to the Sixers.

I still like our chances in the series, but I miss Derrick.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #114
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #115
whomario
Pro Starter

Itīs back !

Another sucky loss for the Mavs. Got to give them credit for playing much better than in the regular season, but the execution down the stretch sucks. Itīs like they suddenly forget about spacing and passing angles and rush things ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #116
whomario
Pro Starter

terrific piece on Roy Hibbert and also putting a good assesment on the age long discussion/stetement of "but heīs so tall, shouldnīt he be better ?" : How the Indiana Pacers' All-Star center, Roy Hibbert, avoided becoming a stiff - Grantland
Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #117
molson
General Manager

This Celtics team is really enjoyable. Well, Rondo's a nutjob but there's a guy like that in every group, you just gotta try to keep his ass in line.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #118
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Kentucky's Anthony Davis has been added to the list of players who might play in the Olympics this summer. With Dwight Howard and LaMarcus Aldridge injured we don't have a lot of power forwards and centers to choose from.

SI.com link

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #119
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
terrific piece on Roy Hibbert and also putting a good assesment on the age long discussion/stetement of "but heīs so tall, shouldnīt he be better ?" : How the Indiana Pacers' All-Star center, Roy Hibbert, avoided becoming a stiff - Grantland

Thanks for the link. Been a big Hibbert fan for some time. Was excited when the Pacers drafted him and really have enjoyed seeing him take the next step this year.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #120
miami_fan
Coordinator

So the Knicks are serious about trading Amare Stoudemire? The MVP candidate from a year ago is now an unwanted piece? Wow
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #121
Groundhog
Coordinator

Can someone wake me when the 2nd round begins?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So the Knicks are serious about trading Amare Stoudemire? The MVP candidate from a year ago is now an unwanted piece? Wow

When was Amar'e an MVP candidate? He's always been a numbers guy who benefitted from having the best playmaker in the game on the court with him most the time.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #123
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Davis will shine with international goal tending rules. I'm nearly positive you can stuff or clear anything that hits the rim.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #124
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Davis will shine with international goal tending rules. I'm nearly positive you can stuff or clear anything that hits the rim.

Yup, as soon as the ball is on the rim it's fine.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #125
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Mavs are doing a perfect impression of the 2006 Heat.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #126
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
When was Amar'e an MVP candidate? He's always been a numbers guy who benefitted from having the best playmaker in the game on the court with him most the time.

Amar'e Stoudemire: Why He Should Win NBA MVP Over LeBron James | Bleacher Report

Knicks’ Amar’e Stoudemire for MVP – Believe it! | TheSportsJury

NBA Awards | Amare MVP, Griffin Rookie Year | SportsGrid

I am not saying I agreed but people were talking about Amare as an MVP candidate.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #127
Logan
Head Coach

Note though that those were all written early (going back to December) and most importantly, all written pre-Melo trade. He played nowhere near that level for the last few months of the season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #128
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Note though that those were all written early (going back to December) and most importantly, all written pre-Melo trade. He played nowhere near that level for the last few months of the season.

True, but they were written. They also represent a large segment of the basketball community who felt that Amare was at least the first piece of a title contender. To go from where he was at the time of those articles to where he is now is well ......Joe Johnson-esque.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #129
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Today, in racist douchebaggery from the NY post:

New York Post Columnist Goes Full-Racist on Jay-Z’s Brooklyn Nets -- Daily Intel
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #130
korme
Go Reds

Joe Johnson is so overrated that he is now underrated. He's a baller.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #131
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

Stupid. It seemed to me that they were bringing back a more classic Brooklyn logo which was kind of cool. A writer clearly trying to make an issue of something that isnt there.

I wonder if that writer even realizes that Jay-Z isnt really a "gangsta rapper" anymore?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-04-2012 at 02:07 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #132
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That he was never a gangster rapper
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #133
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That he was never a gangster rapper

Probably the closest to the truth. He did have some edgier stuff in his younger days but nothing remotely close to the Snoop/Dre/2-Pac days.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #134
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Jay was never a gangsta rapper. It's such a term for west coast gangsta rap, none of that east-coast style drug rap anyway. But the FOX ilk use that term for anyone who swears or even raps, probably. So painful to hear them talk about it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-04-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

wow
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #136
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Joe Johnson is so overrated that he is now underrated. He's a baller.

he is. Would be a wonderfull No2 player or part of a well flowing offense, definitely not a guy you will go deep with as your No1 option or when you just run stuff through him.
And fact is that he will only get worse from now on out, his FTs have been dropping last few seasons again, heīs stepping out further shooting the ball and creating less offense off the drible than ever.

as for Amare : Anybody can see that heīs just not having the physichal ability. Wether this is a one-off due to the lockout, injuries and other factors or a permanent thing is the big question.
His biggest asset has allways been his physichal ability, that nice 15-20 foot jumpshot notwithstanding...

Offensively he actually still scored at a high rate at the rim (actually the same as last year and on better %) but his attempts and percentages for 3-9 feet dropped off totally (from 4.8 tries and 45% to 2.2 and 32%).
He actually scored more of his points on assists this season, so propably getting him a class PG would be important.

The problem with him is that you need him to score a bunch to make up for his weaknesses and that heīs at his best offensively when heīs also most detrimental on defense : Playing at Center. Even this year (albeit in limited minutes, 16% of the teams minutes there while he logged 44% of the teams minutes at PF) heīs been leaps better offensively at Center, his per48min numbers via 82games: 32/14 on 57% eFG
at PF : 23/10on 45% eFG
(the team gave up 6.5 more points per 100 posession with him at C compared to him at PF. Of course that also has to do with Chandler then not playing, but still)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #137
korme
Go Reds

New New Orleans owner Tom Benson trying to change name of New Orleans to Spirit or Angels, looks like
Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #138
korme
Go Reds

dola

Angels and Spirit Are the Two Leading Names for a Hornets’ Rebrand | New Orleans Hornets | Hornets247.com
Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #139
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would think Spirit is probably going to result in a legal battle, as the Spirits of St. Louis still collect about 14million a year for not playing in the NBA.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm... Angels doesn't really strike me as a basketball team name.

It works for baseball, but even that, I think is more based on it having been used for decades now and we're just used to it.

I think it would make for a cruddy name for a New Orleans basketball team.

I think Knights would be pretty good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #141
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I would think Spirit is probably going to result in a legal battle, as the Spirits of St. Louis still collect about 14million a year for not playing in the NBA.

Doubt they'd sue, they're too busy collecting those big paychecks and the only thing ending their golden goose is the NBA finding someone who wants to put a team in the Savvis/Scottrade/Whateverthey'recalling it now Center.

Wonder if MJ will try to get that Hornets nickname for Charlotte.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ryan Anderson wins Most Improved. If Linsanity hadn't gotten hurt, this award was his but...so it goes.

Magic's Ryan Anderson wins Kia Most Improved Player Award | NBA.com
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Ryan Anderson wins Most Improved. If Linsanity hadn't gotten hurt, this award was his but...so it goes.

Magic's Ryan Anderson wins Kia Most Improved Player Award | NBA.com

Re: Lin, does it count as "Most Improved" if you're a pretty darn good basketball player, but no one really gives you a chance because you're Asian?

I suspect the only thing that "improved" was the open-mindedness of a few NBA execs.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-04-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #144
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Re: Lin, does it count as "Most Improved" if you're a pretty darn good basketball player, but no one really gives you a chance because you're Asian?

I suspect the only thing that "improved" was the open-mindedness of a few NBA execs.

Dude was the 13th man on a roster last year. This year? Far from that once he started playing. That kind of ascent just doesn't happen. Yeah, he's Asian and that helps for marketing purposes. And playing in New York helped immensely from a media perspective.

But again, the ascent from nobody to capable NBA starter almost overnight?

It was a movie.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #145
LloydLungs
College Prospect

"Spirit" and "Angels" are both lousy. Spirit is terrible; Angels is alright in a vacuum but it's already taken in the world of major professional sports and really doesn't have anything to do with New Orleans at all other than the Saints being our NFL team. I think we really need a re-brand but I feared Benson wanting to turn the NBA team into Saints Jr.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Dude was the 13th man on a roster last year. This year? Far from that once he started playing. That kind of ascent just doesn't happen. Yeah, he's Asian and that helps for marketing purposes. And playing in New York helped immensely from a media perspective.

But again, the ascent from nobody to capable NBA starter almost overnight?

It was a movie.

Yeah, but did his ability actually improve much? I doubt it. Aside from the natural experience he may have gained from playing in NBA training camps and practices, he was probably about as good last year as he was this year--just no one knew it last year because no one gave him the chance.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #147
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Or in Ryan Anderson's case, the Magic decided to play him 10 more minutes per game this season. He was already good.

This is one of the dumbest awards in sports.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and I agree 100% Lin is an amazing story; movie-like for sure.

I guess what I am saying is that naming Lin Most Improved would be like doing the same to Jackie Robinson in 1947, had he been a little used bench guy in 1946. Not like Jackie Robinson wasn't awesome in 1946, just no one was going to give a man of his race a chance in that year.

Not saying the ones who passed on Lin equate with the racist bigots in baseball in the 40s, but the decision to not play a player because of a factor outside of his ability is much the same.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Or in Ryan Anderson's case, the Magic decided to play him 10 more minutes per game this season. He was already good.

This is one of the dumbest awards in sports.

Heh...yeah, I guess that's true. It is kind of a dumb award. Improvement should seemingly be more about getting better, not just getting more time.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #150
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yeah, but did his ability actually improve much? I doubt it. Aside from the natural experience he may have gained from playing in NBA training camps and practices, he was probably about as good last year as he was this year--just no one knew it last year because no one gave him the chance.

The thing is...he wasn't that good last year. He worked out all last year and the extended lockout helped him develop. This article from the Mercury News chronicles how he worked to get this good to even be able to play at the level he did this year.

Quote:
In the popular fable of Jeremy Lin's life story, the villains are the NBA scouts and executives who overlooked the Harvard-educated, Asian-American point guard from Palo Alto.
Such a storyline, while convenient, undercuts a key aspect of Lin's rocket ride to stardom. The New York Knicks sensation is thriving not because his skeptics were wrong. Lin is thriving because he realized they were right.
He really was too willowy to survive the muscled forest of an NBA defense. He really was lacking a consistent jump shot.
So Lin rewrote his scouting report, reinventing himself shot by shot and pound by pound.
"That's the lesson here: If you don't like the way things are going for you in a sport, don't cry about it. Don't whine to the coach. Do something about it," said Doc Scheppler, who helped Lin refine his shooting fundamentals.
Over the span of more than three body-transforming months, Lin doubled the amount of weight he could squat (from 110 pounds to 231 pounds), nearly tripled the number of pull-ups he could do (from 12 to 30) and abandoned the shooting form he'd been using since eighth grade (he's now among the most accurate point guards in the NBA).

He did so by crisscrossing the Bay Area all summer, honing his shooting touch with Scheppler in Los Altos Hills, building up his lower-leg strength with trainer Phil Wagner in Menlo Park and sculpting his upper body with E.J. Costello at 24 Hour Fitness in Pleasanton -- often
on the same day.

"He's got the mental makeup of a Hall of Famer," Wagner said.
Despite a rough game Thursday night -- eight points and eight turnovers in a loss at Miami -- Lin remains one of the hottest stories in the history of American sports. He has been invited to participate in Rising Stars Challenge, a game Friday that features rookies and second year players as part of this weekend's NBA All-Star Festivities.

The only thing being ignored now is the work that went into becoming an overnight success.

Once you see that, you realize the mythology is just that and he did what anyone who wants to be good at something -- hype or not -- has to do. He busted his ass to do it.