Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #25301
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ted Cruz is just unbelievably stupid and evil.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:38 AM   #25302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wish waterproof books were a thing so I could read in the shower.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:40 AM   #25303
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Ted Cruz is just unbelievably stupid and evil.

The best description of him I remember from elsewhere that Ted Cruz is just "a swarm of locusts wearing a human suit."
Old 06-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #25304
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Driving on the main drag south of Lexington near the mall area this evening, I saw the perfect encapsulation of Kentucky on two cars - in front of me, a window sticker that said "Just Say No to Vaccines," and on the car in the next lane, a KY license plate that read, "KID ROK."

Frankly, I'm not sure which one I'd be more embarrassed of.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-16-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:06 PM   #25305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The new trend in this shithole of a town I'm in is apparently "restaurant quality collapse".

My luck (or lack thereof) with dining is the stuff of legend but the new twist is "okay to good experience once or twice ... followed by clusterfuckery"

I've seen more places go beyond sideways abruptly in the past six months than I can ever recall. I mean, it's usually more of a slow descent but not here in the home of bewildered buffoons.

#$%@#$@$
Old 06-17-2023, 12:26 PM   #25306
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Do these restaurants rely on college workers and have those workers dried up?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:11 PM   #25307
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Do these restaurants rely on college workers and have those workers dried up?

Those dried up during the pandemic, hardly any returned to the workforce that I can tell. (ditto with HS kids but even moreso)

I get where you're coming from but if that were it in these cases then it would have been happening for the whole 15 years we've been here. Yes, there's always been a dropoff here in summer but it generally only hit the bottom rung severely (as remaining employees all shifted up a tier to fill gaps)

Plus this stretch of sudden implosions started before the semester ended, it's just continuing
Old 06-18-2023, 05:08 PM   #25308
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think Reddit is starting to charge to use their API, so a lot of 3rd party programs won't work anymore.

That's what people are upset about and I know there are some planned one day boycotts today with some subreddits shutting down entirely for the day.

More than 1 day. It's like a rolling protest where some subs have gone private to protest.

I can see a 1-2 day protest but this is getting annoying.

EDIT: article came out Fri but just read it today

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/16/tech/...ght/index.html
Quote:
But Reddit isn’t only pushing back rhetorically. The company also appears to be laying the groundwork for ejecting forum moderators committed to continuing the protests, a move that could force open some communities that currently remain closed to the public. In response, some moderators have vowed to put pressure on Reddit’s advertisers and investors.

The escalations highlight the rift that’s emerged between the two most powerful groups on Reddit: The platform’s corporate managers and its unpaid volunteer moderators who manage conversations in individual subreddits. And it pits Reddit’s corporate interests, particularly ahead of a rumored initial public offering, against users and outside developers who have long argued they create value for the platform’s owners.

Now, the fate of the protests may hinge on public perceptions of which group better represents the views and interests of Reddit’s overall userbase, while Reddit increasingly moves to isolate moderators it views as out of line and as it seeks to drive a wedge between average users and moderators.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-18-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #25309
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I've mentioned my nephew that works in sports radio on here before. Wednesday he was walking his dog when the dog got excited and pulled him down. He broke his right arm in four different places. The hospital said he need surgery immediately and started prepping him. Then they had him wait because they didn't have a surgeon. He waited from Wednesday till this morning in the hospital room not allowed to have any food for his surgery to be rescheduled over and over again. When they finally did the surgery, that one hour surgery became four hours. It was much worse than even the x-rays showed.
Needless to say his dad is major pissed at the hospital.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:27 AM   #25310
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well… I just spent the hours of 11:30 pm to 5 am repeatedly throwing up, violently so. Not the ideal way to end Father’s Day.

I have no idea what happened, but I feel terrible.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #25311
Ksyrup

I had no idea this was even a thing, but this probably falls under some category like, "Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..." or "Don't tempt fate AGAIN."

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-19-2023, 08:57 AM   #25312
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I had no idea this was even a thing, but this probably falls under some category like, "Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice..." or "Don't tempt fate AGAIN."

and all that remains are the faces and the names of the wives and the sons and the daughters...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #25313
Edward64
Head Coach

I would have loved to try it out but a little out of my price range. If still intact, it'll be a fascinating rescue attempt.

Quote:
The company, which has not commented on the reports, charges guests $250,000 (Ł195,270) for a place on its 8-day expedition to see the wreck.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #25314
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well… I just spent the hours of 11:30 pm to 5 am repeatedly throwing up, violently so. Not the ideal way to end Father’s Day.

I have no idea what happened, but I feel terrible.

Like food poisoning or PTSD from the Matt Patricia era?
No wrong answers here.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:50 PM   #25315
cuervo72
Head Coach

They featured the Titanic tours on CBS Sunday Morning some months ago: Watch Sunday Morning: A visit to RMS Titanic - Full show on CBS
Old 06-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #25316
bhlloy
Coordinator

At least they can now claim to be the most authentic Titanic tour out there
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:05 PM   #25317
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Like food poisoning or PTSD from the Matt Patricia era?
No wrong answers here.

Based on symptoms it sounds like stomach flu with a bit Patricia-induced PTSD. That last one can just linger in the body for years.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #25318
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Anyone else sitting on their front porch watching a couple vultures alternate nibbling on a squirrel in the road?

I wish I had my neighbors phone number so I could let them know they keep flying onto their roof whenever a car drives by.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:59 PM   #25319
molson
General Manager

Friends from home are surprised how few Trumpers there are in my little corner of Idaho. I was kind of disappointed when a Trump flag went up across the street. Only one in the neighborhood. It's been there for a few months. Today I drove by and looked at it and it actually said, "Taylor Swift for President".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:19 PM   #25320
21C
College Prospect

I returned a product to a store for the first time in my life because of poor quality. Admittedly it was only a store-brand maple syrup but it was unbelievably horrible. They must have changed the recipe/formula because it left me with a terrible aftertaste which lingered in my memory for days. I had to check that it wasn't some attempt at a diet version with 1970s-style artificial sweeteners but nothing looked out of place.

I usually make pancakes as my regular Sunday breakfast but I just could not face going another round with that taste abomination.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:31 AM   #25321
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
I returned a product to a store for the first time in my life because of poor quality. Admittedly it was only a store-brand maple syrup but it was unbelievably horrible. They must have changed the recipe/formula because it left me with a terrible aftertaste which lingered in my memory for days. I had to check that it wasn't some attempt at a diet version with 1970s-style artificial sweeteners but nothing looked out of place.

I usually make pancakes as my regular Sunday breakfast but I just could not face going another round with that taste abomination.

seriously you need to be returning things to places ALL THE TIME because so many things lack quality these days. And they don't give you crap about it as long as you have a receipt. usually they just give you a card with the amount so you can buy something else. Costco and walmart are both definite places that don't give yopu any crap about it.

as for syrup I have given up on the notion that ANY syrup other than sugar filled goodness like Mrs butterworth/log cabin is terrible. So bring me that sugary goodness
screw that "authentic maple sap right out of the tree"
Old 06-20-2023, 02:36 AM   #25322
21C
College Prospect

Yeah, the store asked me if I had a receipt. Who actually keeps grocery receipts?

Yeah, I prefer the sugary syrup. I buy the "maple-flavored" syrup. It is more like an old-style (Australian) treacle or golden syrup - I don't know what the American equivalent is.

I'm not big on returning stuff. On the same day, I bought a replacement toaster since my last el cheapo one shorted out every time I turned it on. I bought another one for AU$7.50 (US$5). I once bought a more expensive toaster but it lasted as long as the no name brands that I have bought since.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:10 AM   #25323
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Closest equivalent to golden syrup in the US is corn syrup
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 09:29 AM   #25324
Ksyrup

You mean like Karo Syrup?

I've waited almost 25 years for this topic to spontaneously occur so I could drop that line!
Old 06-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #25325
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You mean like Karo Syrup?

I've waited almost 25 years for this topic to spontaneously occur so I could drop that line!

A long game well played!
Old 06-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #25326
stevew
Hall Of Famer

“I bought maple syrup and they gave me a receipt for the maple syrup; I don't need a receipt for the syrup. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the syrup, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought maple syrup.”
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:52 AM   #25327
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
“I bought maple syrup and they gave me a receipt for the maple syrup; I don't need a receipt for the syrup. I'll just give you the money, and you give me the syrup, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I just can't imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought maple syrup.”

haha!
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:13 AM   #25328
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Don't even act like I didn't buy that syrup!
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:57 AM   #25329
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A long game well played!

Ksyrup now:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 08:15 PM   #25330
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nine days. That's all it will take to reopen I95. I'm.. I thought that this meant "reopening the side that didn't collapse", but no, they took that side down too, filled it all in, will repave it, and reopen this weekend. I'm shocked, in a GOOD way.

Damaged portion of I-95 in Philadelphia will reopen this weekend, ahead of schedule, governor says | CNN
Old 06-20-2023, 08:17 PM   #25331
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what happened to it?
Old 06-20-2023, 08:18 PM   #25332
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
what happened to it?

This:

I-95 collapse: Demolition work is complete | CNN

(gasoline truck caught fire, melted a bunch of the supports, one side came down completely, the other side was damaged (and brought down as part of the rebuild)
Old 06-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #25333
Ksyrup

Oddly enough, the same thing happened with the Atlanta interstate collapse. They thought it would take until mid-June and it opened in mid-May. I know the family who runs the concrete company that was part of the construction project, and we heard the story during a luncheon about a month ago.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #25334
miami_fan
Coordinator

More funny as hell than NBA related.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:40 AM   #25335
molson
General Manager

I don't know anything about him as a player but wow did he look thin in that Yankee short sleeve jersey.

Has there ever been a super tall, super skinny, dominant NBA player?

Last edited by molson : 06-21-2023 at 11:42 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 12:29 PM   #25336
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't know anything about him as a player but wow did he look thin in that Yankee short sleeve jersey.

Has there ever been a super tall, super skinny, dominant NBA player?

Not as tall but Kevin Durant
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:19 PM   #25337
Ksyrup

I posted a few months back in the Mental Health thread that I'm way more afraid of getting old than dying. This is the shit I hope I avoid, even if it means going earlier than my body would allow. What an incredibly sad story.

Jack Hanna: How Alzheimer's is stripping away the man the world knew
Old 06-21-2023, 01:31 PM   #25338
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

No cancer in my family. Not much in heart disease. Type 2 diabetes and dementia are the main issues. My mom started showing strong signs about 8 years from how old I am now. For me it feels like a "not if but when" situation.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #25339
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't generally get into couples' relationship because I don't know what their relationship rules are etc. but spoiler alert, the couple involved have filed for divorce.

Spare relationship causes awkward split | Community | lufkindailynews.com

1. Kudos to the headline writer.

2. Who advised this guy to speak to the press?

Quote:
Steve Lemke defended his actions and said the relationship was consensual but might have been “amplified to the magnitude that it is now because of the national championship caliber that we’ve developed. I think it’s more of an ethics thing when it comes to the college as far as a coach/teacher being with a student-athlete.”

Quote:
“I knew it was kind of a no-no, but there’s not a rule saying it can’t happen,” Steve Lemke said. “There’s not a law saying I’m going to go to jail for doing something like this. There’s nothing in stone. I guess it’s just an ethics code, like we frown upon it, but there’s no rule, there’s no law broken.”

Uh yeah Steve that whole coach/teacher being with a student/athlete thing is the reason. I am pretty sure they mentioned that during orientation.

Quote:
The affair with the bowler was discovered when Amber Lemke saw a text message from her on Steve Lemke’s phone, he said.

“It didn’t have anything in detail,” Steve Lemke said of the text. “It was just about how amazing I am, basically, in general perspective. Amber saw that and questioned me, and I got to the point where it just built up so much that I basically told her the truth after she dug through my phone.”

So it was his wife/the head coach's fault for digging through the phone?

Quote:
“I was the stay-at-home dad for five years with the kids while Amber got to go off and coach the team, and when she’d get back, I’d run practices on top of taking care of the kids while she was back,” Steve Lemke said. “When they’d travel again, I would sit back and take care of the kids. Then when I got hired on, she almost forced me to run practices. I was a volunteer the entire time before that trying to help out Amber. Once I got hired on, one thing stemmed from another. I felt like I was doing too much for what I was being valued at.”

I might have to tune in for the divorce proceedings. This dude is about to be an MRA icon.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:52 PM   #25340
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I was initially confused about the "there's no law against" etc but then discovered that this is college level not high school. (my brain was reading this as a HS situation at first, for whatever reason)
Old 06-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #25341
Ksyrup

Gold, Jerry, gold!

Old 06-22-2023, 11:56 AM   #25342
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A friend of mine lives down the street from a dumpster where they found....a newborn baby. Actually guy found it in the garbage truck after emptying the dumpster.

Plain City Dumpster baby

THIS is going to be my new motto:
UPDATE | Police Chief: 'Babies don't just end up in trash dumpsters'.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 06-22-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:42 PM   #25343
21C
College Prospect

Ugh!

I just spent the last two hours moving some files around since I got a new 1TB usb drive. It was getting close to the finish before I got an error message about files being too big. The drive was formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS and I never thought to check.

Not the first time and won't be the last.

[Before anyone asks, I use the drive as transition storage when moving files around. It also works on my phone which is very handy.]
Old 06-22-2023, 09:52 PM   #25344
Edward64
Head Coach

I've given up doing my own pre-emergent and weed stuff. Got Turf Masters last year and can honestly say my Bermuda lawn is looking much better this year.

Clovers gone. Rye grass gone. Nutsedge gone.

Crab grass, still around. But know that they'll come back for a special treatment if I call (they did last year).

I don't care what reviews say about stuff you can get from HD & Lowes, they lie. The DIY stuff you sprinkle around doesn't work (and yes, I've followed the annual treatment calendar). The weed sprays work okay but after 3-4 weeks, the weeds are back. The pros just have the more potent stuff.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:04 PM   #25345
Ksyrup

We've used TrueGreen for several years. What really turned the corner for our lawn was doing the fall aeration/overseeding several years in a row. It literally choked out most of the weeds and made the lawn really thick. But it's expensive - like $300-400.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-22-2023 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #25346
Edward64
Head Coach

I think we have 6-7 treatments a year for approx. $60 a pop.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:09 PM   #25347
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

we're putting in a lawn at our new house, so we have to literally water it 8 hours a day.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:23 PM   #25348
Atocep
Coordinator

I hate lawns. If I had the money I'd turf ours without hesitation.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:27 PM   #25349
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I hate lawns.

This.

Just an unused money pit for me, and a primary driver to my desire for my next dwelling to be a condo (or similar).
Old 06-22-2023, 10:53 PM   #25350
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I hate lawns. If I had the money I'd turf ours without hesitation.

Same. I have zero interest in lawn maintenance or landscaping and don't care about it. At all.