Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #2801
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Eh, not yet. OWN ratings (so far) are less than half of Lifetime in Prime, barely a quarter of Lifetime's total day ratings.

Ouchie. Week 2 for OWN ratings drop 20% and are dangerously close to being at the same levels that led to the elimination of Discovery Health (the network that OWN replaced)

BCS Championship Keeps ESPN On Top Cable Ratings; Oprah’s OWN Ratings Near Discovery Health Levels
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #2802
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Wow I hadn't realized that Discovery Health was gone. Shows how much I watch it, I guess.

On another note, that bikini shaver ad has actually been posted here at FOFC if I remember correctly, a few years back. Maybe it wasn't that exact one, but it was one very much like it. I thought it was from Australia, though.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #2803
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I saw the mow the lawn commercial last time I was over. My wife and I were speechless then laughing hysterically.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #2804
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Life is grand.

Yesterday the boss called to tell me their giving me another important account. Holy cow, I can't believe how well stuff is going right now.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #2805
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Awesome news

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #2806
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Wow I hadn't realized that Discovery Health was gone. Shows how much I watch it, I guess.

You have me beat. I didn't know that there ever was a Discovery Health network.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #2807
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Yesterday the boss called to tell me their giving me another important account. Holy cow, I can't believe how well stuff is going right now.

The Penske account? I always knew you were Penske material.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #2808
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

A friend of mine who hates football & whines like a bitch if it is on & people watch it wanted to hang out tomorrow, so I went & hung out last night with him. Just got an email asking if we're still on for tomorrow. LOL Told him I'd smash my own mother if she tried to get in the way of my watching tomorrow. What would I do if he'd start whining?

I think he still remembers the time he got pissed about some woman he liked that I had made out with & punched me. I paused & calmly said "Mike, umm..." then put a left right in the center of his chest and continued calmly "Never punch me."

He eventually was able to breathe, and the parameters of friendship had been established.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #2809
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
A friend of mine who hates football & whines like a bitch if it is on & people watch it wanted to hang out tomorrow

Sounds like you need better friends! Or need to agree on some sort of seasonal friendship that only takes place between February and August.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #2810
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Ouchie. Week 2 for OWN ratings drop 20% and are dangerously close to being at the same levels that led to the elimination of Discovery Health (the network that OWN replaced)

BCS Championship Keeps ESPN On Top Cable Ratings; Oprah’s OWN Ratings Near Discovery Health Levels

Or "Discovery Death levels."
Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #2811
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Sounds like you need better friends! Or need to agree on some sort of seasonal friendship that only takes place between February and August.

I forget if MGB is still there, but if these are folks from Michigan they probably aren't even aware the NFL plays games in January.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #2812
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I moved back to my own house yesterday after spending about 2 weeks with my parents following back surgery. I miss mom cooking for me, but I'm glad I'm back to eating what I normally eat--in the same portions. I feel like I put on a ton of weight when I was home. Up today for lunch, sweet potato poblano pepper enchiladas.

On a side note, at the same time, I'm trying to stop using the prescription pain medications. Took 600mg of Advil at 8:30, was able to hold out until 11 or so until I took the muscle relaxer, and now I just took my percocet. I guess it's good that it's been almost 12 hours since I last took the prescription drugs...

I think I've found the best incentive to find a man, I could totally use someone here to take care of me, I feel like a mess.

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 01-23-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 AM   #2813
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wish I knew what the background music for that EVO Praise commercial was.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #2814
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I've found the best incentive to find a man, I could totally use someone here to take care of me, I feel like a mess.
/tk

Not necessarily the optimal state of mind for attracting quality men
Old 01-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #2815
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's hard to have a Steelers Super Bowl party when all your friends and neighbors hate the Steelers.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #2816
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not necessarily the optimal state of mind for attracting quality men

Too true, alas.

/tk
Old 01-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #2817
Bad-example
College Starter

Note to lady on my phone: If you didn't want me to wish a horrible disease upon you, you shouldn't have taken a job with a company that uses a f*cking computer to dial up people on the no-call list. Tell your boss to go clean his own f*cking ducts.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #2818
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's hard to have a Steelers Super Bowl party when all your friends and neighbors hate the Steelers.

Sounds like you need cooler friends.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #2819
AnalBumCover
College Starter

After reading two real life stories here at FOFC this morning, I sure could use a hug.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #2820
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Corner of washing machine meet Jon's cheekbone. Jon's cheekbone, meet Mr. Maytag. The conversation that followed is not suitable for younger audiences.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #2821
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My little Snuggle Dog has been gone a year today.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #2822
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Corner of washing machine meet Jon's cheekbone. Jon's cheekbone, meet Mr. Maytag. The conversation that followed is not suitable for younger audiences.

I've heard of some...interesting uses for washing machines, but facial massage is not one of them.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #2823
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Another example of "political correctness" gone amok. You must conform! Resistance is futile!

Quote:
Salesman fired for wearing Packers tie

OAK LAWN, Ill. -- A car salesman in suburban Chicago has been fired for refusing to remove a Green Bay Packers tie that he wore to work the day after the Packers beat the Chicago Bears to advance to the Super Bowl.

John Stone says he wore the Packers tie to work Monday at Webb Chevrolet in Oak Lawn to honor his late grandmother, who was a big Green Bay fan.

The sentimental gesture did not impress his boss, Jerry Roberts.

Roberts says the dealership has done promotions involving the Bears and he was afraid the tie could alienate the team's fans and make it harder to sell cars.

Roberts adds that Stone was offered five chances to take off the tie but he refused.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #2824
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I don't know about that. Guy's an idiot and deserved to be fired. Nothing to do with political correctness. A sales guy, of cars no less, wearing a Packers tie near Chicago?

Come on.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #2825
MJ4H
Coordinator

If your boss tells you to change ties, change ties. Headline is flat wrong. He wasn't fired for wearing the tie, he was fired for refusing to follow directions given by his boss.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #2826
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

A lot of the programs from Discovery Health are now on an even less-watched channel called FitTV. Available on DirecTV, not sure of its cable availability.

I don't watch any of the channels on a regular basis, but did notice these changes.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #2827
cuervo72
Head Coach

FitTV used to have cool stuff (and by cool stuff, I mean eye-candy) like belly dancing and yoga. I am not sure I like that being replaced by Dr. G, Medical Examiner. I mean, she's examining dead people. Dead = NOT FIT.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #2828
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
If your boss tells you to change ties, change ties. Headline is flat wrong. He wasn't fired for wearing the tie, he was fired for refusing to follow directions given by his boss.

I've only read two articles on this now, but they both said he was a car salesman, not a servant.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:10 AM   #2829
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, I don't know about that. Guy's an idiot and deserved to be fired. Nothing to do with political correctness. A sales guy, of cars no less, wearing a Packers tie near Chicago?

Come on.

Yeah, I can't believe anyone would argue in favor of the douche who knew he was being a douche by putting the Packers tie on in the first place, let alone after he was told to take it off.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #2830
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Good grief everyone... is it allowable for individuals to have an independent brain? Does everyone have to be part of a hive? If the damn guy is a Packers fan, or wants to wear one to honor his grandmother, for God's sakes what the hell is wrong with that? The only way the "boss" gets away with this is if it is against the Employee Dress Code. I'm sure their HR "department" would have a field day trying to tapdance around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

Directions on how to perform your job is certainly within the boss' right to demand. I'm not so crazy on any other guidance. If he tells you to go buy him coffee & donuts, and you refuse, are you ok being fired as well? Where is the line?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #2831
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
If the damn guy is a Packers fan, or wants to wear one to honor his grandmother, for God's sakes what the hell is wrong with that?

Because the risk of him pissing off a prospective customer outweighs pretty much any benefit acquired by letting him wear it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #2832
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Because the risk of him pissing off a prospective customer outweighs pretty much any benefit acquired by letting him wear it.

Maybe he should have covered it up then.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #2833
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Maybe he should have covered it up then.

I'd argue that he should have had better sense than to wear it to any sort of sales job in the first place, but that'd just be quibbling
Old 01-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #2834
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I wish I knew what the background music to the EVO 4 praise commercial was.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #2835
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the evo phone? Post the ad.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #2836
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish I knew what the background music to the EVO 4 praise commercial was.

I don't know, but apparently you aren't the only person that's curious

Sprint HTC EVO 4G "Praise" TV Commercial Music - Adtunes Forums
Old 01-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #2837
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Directions on how to perform your job is certainly within the boss' right to demand.

Good. He was told to perform his job with a different tie on.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #2838
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
FitTV used to have cool stuff (and by cool stuff, I mean eye-candy) like belly dancing and yoga. I am not sure I like that being replaced by Dr. G, Medical Examiner. I mean, she's examining dead people. Dead = NOT FIT.

indeed. so much potential, but it's like 99% crap
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #2839
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good grief everyone... is it allowable for individuals to have an independent brain? Does everyone have to be part of a hive? If the damn guy is a Packers fan, or wants to wear one to honor his grandmother, for God's sakes what the hell is wrong with that? The only way the "boss" gets away with this is if it is against the Employee Dress Code. I'm sure their HR "department" would have a field day trying to tapdance around it.

I think there are two pretty substantial dynamics at work here:
1) Corporations are built on a near-militaristic hierarchy where it's easy to hide behind chain of command
2) If you can find enough people to give each side credence to a silly argument, then you can create a false dichotomy
Again, in the corporate hierarchy, if you can dilute the blame enough that people won't focus on the decision and will instead latch onto the silly parts of the story.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #2840
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just got back from doing a radio gig using a decent Arnold impersonation. Fun.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #2841
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I don't know, but apparently you aren't the only person that's curious

Sprint HTC EVO 4G "Praise" TV Commercial Music - Adtunes Forums

That's it.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #2842
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Sounds like you need cooler friends.

Sounds like he needs a cooler team. His friends sound like perfectly normal people
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #2843
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Can't you just fire up Shazaam when it's on (or on youtube for it) to figure it out?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #2844
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I tried the shazam, didn't get a hit.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #2845
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaaah.

might be a custom thing then...i dunno
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #2846
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

My apartment smells like cat piss this morning. I do not have a cat.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #2847
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Sounds like he needs a cooler team. His friends sound like perfectly normal people

Sure, if he wants to follow a loser.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #2848
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This weekend is horrible for sports. The NHL All-Star game and NFL Pro Bowl? That's it? Ugh. (I understand that there is basketball, both college and pro, but I don't like basketball.)

Well, luckily I have many videogames to play and DVDs to watch.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #2849
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This weekend is horrible for sports. The NHL All-Star game and NFL Pro Bowl? That's it? Ugh. (I understand that there is basketball, both college and pro, but I don't like basketball.)

No kidding. Lucky for me, we picked the perfect weekend to spend in Indianapolis at my daughter's softball tournament.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #2850
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Well, luckily I have many videogames to play and DVDs to watch.

Sounds like the perfect weekend to clean my apartment.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote