Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
cougarfreak
College Starter

Traveling to SF in June......advice

So, my wife booked us a trip in SF for my 40th birthday. We are going to see the Reds and Giants play on Thurs, Fri., Sat. I'm looking at the Hilton in Union Square. Anyone stayed/been there? Thoughts about the area? Is it safe, any problems? How far from the ballpark will we be, good restaurants?

cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Rizon
Pro Starter

You are like 10 blocks from the park.

There are no safe places in SF at night. It is a pretty scary place. When you are walking at night just look like you are crazy and the crazy people will leave you alone. Otherwise you will get shived and forced into prostitution and not necessarily in that order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

You are like 10 blocks from the park.

There are no safe places in SF at night. It is a pretty scary place. When you are walking at night just look like you are crazy and the crazy people will leave you alone. Otherwise you will get shived and forced into prostitution and not necessarily in that order.

So, seriously, would you recommend staying someplace else, further out?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
So, seriously, would you recommend staying someplace else, further out?

No, actually the Hilton is fine. SF is just like any big city where all the weirdos come out at night.
Quote:
Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Do yourself a favor and ignore Rizon. Here's a good previous thread San Francisco Vacation - Front Office Football Central
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Which one's closer to the park, Hilton at Union Square, or Hilton Fisherman's Wharf?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Imagine your left hand as the SF peninsula. Hold it out straight. The tip of the index finger would be Fisherman's Wharf. Its middle knuckle would be Union Square. The ballpark would be the tip of the thumb, I think.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Imagine your left hand as the SF peninsula. Hold it out straight. The tip of the index finger would be Fisherman's Wharf. Its middle knuckle would be Union Square. The ballpark would be the tip of the thumb, I think.

So no huge difference. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Hilton is Union Square is good, has nice hotel sports bar. It's right in between the theater district, union square and tenderloin. it is safe, the police are everywhere...

i've spent last 16 years roaming that area doing pub crawls, summer camps and date nights, never a problem.

it's a long walk to the park, and you should not do it at night. can take a quick cab ride or a bus.

there is a really cool speakeasy bar two blocks from your hotel called bourbon and branch. you have to make a reservation online and they give email you a password to enter, great cocktails.

a block up from your hotel is jonny foleys, a good irish bar/restaurant. at night in the basement they a have a dueling piano bar, very crowded, but fun.

june is the beginning of the foggy months, the night games are going to be cold.

there are so many great place to eat and drink, i can give you rec's if you tell me what you like.

for your birthday dinner you should go to the house of prime rib, super amazing, and not crazy expensive.

the tonga room at the fairmont is an experience you will never forget

have fun. remember, no plastic bags or kid meal toys, so bring your own
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rizon's first post is a darned good example of my reaction to visiting SF for a couple of days nearly 20 years ago.

Until then, I figured "I've been in Atlanta plenty, I know what a 'city' is like".
SF laid that notion to rest pretty damned fast.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Yeah that is about right.

We stayed at the Sir Francis Drake right next to Union Square last time we were there. Honestly I've never felt scared walking around SF at night, even when I went there on my own when I was 23 for a couple nights. Things are only scary if you make them that way... IMO. And just to note I had never really hung out in a BIG metropolitan city ever before my first trip to SF. It really is a blast checking it out.

If you are in the Union Square area I HIGHLY suggest checking out the Gold Dust. http://www.yelp.com/biz/gold-dust-lo...an-francisco-2

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-27-2012 at 10:05 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
If you are in the Union Square area I HIGHLY suggest checking out the Gold Dust. http://www.yelp.com/biz/gold-dust-lo...an-francisco-2

Sadly, it looks like gold dust is going to be shut down. was/is one of my favorites in the city. here is a nice article today from the chronicle sports guy:
San Franciscans must step up for Gold Dust Lounge
Old 01-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Last summer (June), AENeuman and I walked Union Sq. at night, stopping off at Gold Dust, Johnny Foley's and a few other places I can't think of. I was struck at the amount of tourists in that area at night.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Sadly, it looks like gold dust is going to be shut down. was/is one of my favorites in the city. here is a nice article today from the chronicle sports guy:
San Franciscans must step up for Gold Dust Lounge

Tearing it down to build a women's clothing store?!? WTF
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
cougarfreak
College Starter

Good stuff, thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Union Square is fine.

SF is a great city. Love it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Impossible not to have fun in SF, unless you are just trying not to.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #18
sooner333
College Starter

I would take the MUNI train to the game from Union Square.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
cougarfreak
College Starter

If you guys had the choice, which is the better area (if it matters), Fisherman's Wharf, or Union Square? Much of a difference?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Don't stay around Fisherman's Wharf. Plenty going on around Union Square at all hours, tons of great bars and restaurants, easy to get pretty much anywhere, much easier route to the ballpark, etc.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
Don't stay around Fisherman's Wharf. Plenty going on around Union Square at all hours, tons of great bars and restaurants, easy to get pretty much anywhere, much easier route to the ballpark, etc.

I agree with this.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed San Fran a lot and we stayed out by the airport. Our biggest regret is that we didn't stay closer into the city, which is not something I usually say (for instance, in Chicago, I don't mind staying out by O'Hare and taking the El or in DC, I always stay outside the Beltway and take the Metro).

San Francisco was easily one of my favorite cities to visit as there's so much to do there. I highly recommend the night tour for Alcatraz as the programs they did were excellent. However, my favorite thing to do was Muir Woods- the redwoods are like nothing I have ever seen before. My wife and I spent a good 4 or 5 hours there, hiking around the woods and then going up the side of the hill to look down into it with the clouds covering the forest. Just an amazing place.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - good point. Get over to Muir woods...absolutely.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Bring a jacket.

If you're a Star Wars fan and would like a tour of ILM, let me know. I'm there on Thursdays. If you would like a tour of Skywalker Ranch, I'm near there on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
If you're a Star Wars fan and would like a tour of ILM, let me know. I'm there on Thursdays. If you would like a tour of Skywalker Ranch, I'm near there on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Crap, now I'm going to have to get out to another GDC, and maybe drag the kids along...
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Crap, now I'm going to have to get out to another GDC, and maybe drag the kids along...

Just let me know. I can bring up to 4 guests at a time.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Bring a jacket.

I may have to take you up on that, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. How far is this stuff from Union Square?
Old 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I may have to take you up on that, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. How far is this stuff from Union Square?

I don't think it's too far for ILM. ILM is at the old Presidio Army base near the Golden Gate Bridge. Skywalker is about 30 minutes from the Presidio going north on the 101 and then onto (no relation) Lucas Valley road.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
cougarfreak
College Starter

OK, I am booking a reservation at the Union Square Hilton for the weekend I'm going at the end of June. Really looking forward to hitting the Reds/Giants games, seeing Alcatraz, and if Jedi can arrange it the Skywalker Ranch, or ILM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Union Square is a nice area. You can hit up the cable cars for trips to Fisherman's Wharf and the International District (if you like Asian food, this is a must). You'll be in an area that is a great mix of shopping, restaurants and tourism - it's a good hub for venturing out too.

For a restaurant suggestion, I had a couple great meals last year at Foreign Cinema: http://foreigncinema.com/home.html. It's about a 10 minute cab ride from where you'll be staying, and you'll need a reservation, but it's a really cool place - great food, really fun ambiance.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #31
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
OK, I am booking a reservation at the Union Square Hilton for the weekend I'm going at the end of June. Really looking forward to hitting the Reds/Giants games, seeing Alcatraz, and if Jedi can arrange it the Skywalker Ranch, or ILM.

Enjoy. Get your Alcatraz tickets before you go. Foreign Cinema is great, it's my favorite brunch spot.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #32
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you going to be in town during a week day? Unfortunately, we can't do tours on the weekends.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
cougarfreak
College Starter

Hey Jedi, I will be in town 6/28-7/1. Arriving Thursday morning. If you can arrange anything, awesome. If not, I understand. I did score Giants/Reds tickets last night for the 6/30 bobblehead game for below face value in infield premium lower box. I was shocked that there were 2 seats left on stubhub in the box for only $70 a piece. According to the Giants site, they sell for like $103 for the bobblehead games. I might do a game on Thursday night as well, but am leaving Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and Friday night open for things like the Prime Rib House mentioned here, Alcatraz, Muir Woods, and a potential Walker Ranch tour. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #34
Mr. Sparkle
High School JV

Quote:
Hey Jedi, I will be in town 6/28-7/1. Arriving Thursday morning. If you can arrange anything, awesome. If not, I understand. I did score Giants/Reds tickets last night for the 6/30 bobblehead game for below face value in infield premium lower box. I was shocked that there were 2 seats left on stubhub in the box for only $70 a piece. According to the Giants site, they sell for like $103 for the bobblehead games. I might do a game on Thursday night as well, but am leaving Thursday afternoon, all day Friday, and Friday night open for things like the Prime Rib House mentioned here, Alcatraz, Muir Woods, and a potential Walker Ranch tour. Looking forward to it.

If you're going to a bobblehead game, plan on getting there a couple hours early at least. Lines start forming crazy early, and get long real fast. Also: I don't know how they're managing the lines this year, but if they're giving away bobbleheads at all the entrances, go to the one in the rear of the stadium behind centerfield, which is where the ferry drops people off. Tends to be much less crowded.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
Johninja
n00b

Wear a flower in your hair.
Johninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Ok cool. The only days would be that Thursday when you get there or Friday, since we aren't allowed to do tours on the weekends unfortunately. Sounds like you won't be around on Friday though. Hopefully Skywalker will be open by then. They're doing a major renovation to the place and it was originally supposed to be open last month, but, it's been pushed back to May/beginning of June. If all else, we could always go to the ILM facility that is at the Presidio, right by the Golden Gate bridge.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good news everyone! Skywalker Ranch will be open to guests next week.

So Cougarfreak, if you still want to go to either Skywalker Ranch or the Presidio (ILM), let me know. Friendly reminder, I can only bring guests onto the properties during the week, they're closed on the weekends.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'm getting pretty fired up about the trip. I just got my tickets for the Thursday game (front row of section 313), and Saturday tickets (box seats section 105). Can't wait.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #39
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I'm getting pretty fired up about the trip. I just got my tickets for the Thursday game (front row of section 313), and Saturday tickets (box seats section 105). Can't wait.

Have fun. I'll be in SF in July and I'm already looking forward to it.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #40
cougarfreak
College Starter

Best seafood place on the wharf?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #41
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Best seafood place on the wharf?

Scoma's. Expensive but better than the rest.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator

And well crap, I feel like an ass. Didn't realize it was this week already. I can still more than likely get you guys in at Skywalker Ranch or the Presidio (ILM), but, would need to know pretty soon.

Totally forgot that you were here already.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #43
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
And well crap, I feel like an ass. Didn't realize it was this week already. I can still more than likely get you guys in at Skywalker Ranch or the Presidio (ILM), but, would need to know pretty soon.

Totally forgot that you were here already.
Nah, don't worry about it jedi, we just passed ILM, my wife booked us on an all day tour.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #44
JediKooter
Coordinator

Ok cool. Bundle up! Its winter time here in the Bay Area.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
cougarfreak
College Starter

Man, San Fran was absolutely incredible. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The ballpark was incredible, and the audio tour of Alcatraz was amazing. Great city to visit, we'll definitely go back in a few years.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #46
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Man, San Fran was absolutely incredible. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. The ballpark was incredible, and the audio tour of Alcatraz was amazing. Great city to visit, we'll definitely go back in a few years.

Glad to hear you were not shived and forced into prostitution!
Quote:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He didn't cross the bridge to Oakland, so idk what you're talking about.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #48
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

I didn't go to Oakland.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
He didn't cross the bridge to Oakland, so idk what you're talking about.

Quote:
I didn't go to Oakland.

wtf, you know we got some Pontiac LeMans that we drive across the bridge right??? If you hear Cougnut comin from the 20s in my trunk you know we comin.
Quote:
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #50
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did you do the day or evening tour of Alcatraz? We did the night one and it is one of the best National Parks I've ever been to

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote