Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #101
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, major bug. Agholor caught 6 passes in my first game...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #102
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankles View Post
Rex wants to fill my dime CB slots with linebackers.

49ers?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #103
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Don't like that the simulation window stays on the week that you left it on if you close and go back into it. Was reviewing the results from the previous week. Then went to check on my injuries and make adjustments to the game plan and opened the window and instead of it being on the current week it was still on the week I was looking at before previously closing it.

Definitely not a deal breaker just one of those minor quibbles.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #104
General Mike
Pro Starter

Not the same old pair of socks. Just screwing around in preseason of year 1, and I find myself questioning a lot of the things I know.

Doing rex for a lot of stuff and I find guys playing positions that I find strange, like my best S (Landon Collins) being at FS in base defense.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #105
Dutch
"Dutch"

So the log files have all players on the field for every snap....with a +++ or a --- after the name. Didn't know what that means...

...but at the end of the log file, it shows the totals for each player! Very interesting development there.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #106
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Hmm so for Training Camp what the heck can I do and how do I set the traning camp schedule? I know stuck at the first step.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #107
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Hmm so for Training Camp what the heck can I do and how do I set the traning camp schedule? I know stuck at the first step.

I was wondering the same thing...screen text says to set schedule but couldn't find it
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #108
PilotMan
Head Coach

My first move was to trade Sammie Coats for Tyler Eifert. Need to get a TE threat in Pitt.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #109
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I was wondering the same thing...screen text says to set schedule but couldn't find it

Same here. I was thinking maybe it's not available the first season??
Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #110
Dutch
"Dutch"

No renegotiations once the season starts except for cap outs? Woah....
Old 11-23-2016, 07:56 PM   #111
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
No renegotiations once the season starts except for cap outs? Woah....

Yeah, that was in one of his blog posts. He basically did that to fix a bug and make the game more in line with how the NFL handles extensions.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #112
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Same here. I was thinking maybe it's not available the first season??

I think that's just some old text that needs to be changed. You set your playbooks for the training camp stage now. The scheduling thing isn't in there anymore.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #113
zullojer
Mascot

half way through first season with packers. everything going ok but i am pretty much rex'ing playbook this first year. rb lacy is getting 2nd most looks in passing game, like 10 a game. can't find an easy way to reduce his route running vs pass blocking without designing a new playbook. also there is no run direction percentages, which i am fine with as long as the games ai chooses wisely to run behind my best olineman.

Last edited by zullojer : 11-23-2016 at 08:28 PM.
zullojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #114
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh okay. Probably was removed for being too "gamey".

The Playoff Probabilities is really cool as the season nears the end.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:36 PM   #115
sawblade300
Mascot

I'm having an issue opening the game. Meaning...it won't open. I can't even open Steam to get to it from there. I downloaded the game earlier at work. Opened it to take a look at it, but had to leave work. Packed up my laptop and came home hoping to jump in and play. Sadly, I can't.

Any ideas? I'm going to try and restart my laptop again and see if it works. I WANT TO PLAY!!!!!!
sawblade300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #116
Caligari
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Got a crash while simming 20 years of history.

Any place that the game would have stored the record of the crash with info to send to Jim?

C:\Users\<>\AppData\Local\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football Eight\universe\<>\errorlog.txt

That seems to be what it leaves behind when this happens (happened to me as well).
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #117
Caligari
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I've read the philosophy documents (which..are....AWESOME,)

OK, Yeah. This.

This seems a lot clearer than past versions, explaining in good detail the decisions he's made about the sim, and what the formations, roles, plans, etc. are for.

I expect I'll be re-reading this stuff several times.

Highly recommended (to be clear: the Offensive and then Defensive Philosophy articles, in that order).
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #118
Dutch
"Dutch"

Finished my first season. It takes a little getting used to it overall it doesn't seem traumatic from a UI perspective so that's good.

Definitely a major overhaul to game planning. It seems complicated but a whole lot more interesting. I'm thoroughly intrigued by the changes. So that seems good!
Old 11-23-2016, 09:00 PM   #119
garion333
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawblade300 View Post
I'm having an issue opening the game. Meaning...it won't open. I can't even open Steam to get to it from there. I downloaded the game earlier at work. Opened it to take a look at it, but had to leave work. Packed up my laptop and came home hoping to jump in and play. Sadly, I can't.

Any ideas? I'm going to try and restart my laptop again and see if it works. I WANT TO PLAY!!!!!!

In Steam right click on the game and go to Properties. Click the Local Files tab. Click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #120
sawblade300
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
In Steam right click on the game and go to Properties. Click the Local Files tab. Click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

After restarting my laptop, I was able to open the game. Haven't tried to open Steam yet. Too busy getting familiar with the game.

Chemistry question. I see conflicts and affinities, but on the player cards I don't see where their attributes (leadership and so on) are listed. Am I missing them?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #121
RD
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
It does. For now, you can just copy the leaguedata directory to your FOF7 tree.

Ben,
I'm not able to get the draft files over to analyzer. Could you provide the path your speaking of..

RD
RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #122
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawblade300 View Post
After restarting my laptop, I was able to open the game. Haven't tried to open Steam yet. Too busy getting familiar with the game.

Chemistry question. I see conflicts and affinities, but on the player cards I don't see where their attributes (leadership and so on) are listed. Am I missing them?

In the middle column under personality, click view report.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 11-23-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #123
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by zullojer View Post
half way through first season with packers. everything going ok but i am pretty much rex'ing playbook this first year. rb lacy is getting 2nd most looks in passing game, like 10 a game. can't find an easy way to reduce his route running vs pass blocking without designing a new playbook. also there is no run direction percentages, which i am fine with as long as the games ai chooses wisely to run behind my best olineman.

Arizona just dropped 55 on me. David Johnson caught 5 TDs....
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 09:32 PM   #124
sawblade300
Mascot

Quote:
In the middle column under personality, click view report.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #125
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

First game calling plays and I can't see a way to run a hurry up. I didn't need it in a 33-0 shutout of the Browns but it is something that could be important.

Also, I noticed in the 4th quarter that the plays didn't seem to be the same ones I was calling. Tried calling runs for Barner and Matthews as I didn't want Sproles to get too many carries but even though I called the play for them it still ended up being a running play to Sproles. He was even catching passes when I was calling them for my backup receivers and tight ends.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #126
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I am feeling rusty with this game for sure....How do you setup backups? I know there are the personnel packages but not all player positions included. If you have 3 QB on your team, how do you tell which is the backup? If you have multiple backup linemen, how do you tell which are the backups?
Old 11-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #127
aston217
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Rex can build a good playbook. Its actually fun to build plays though.. Kinda surprised you're not that into it, heh. As far as I can tell there is no exploitation involved though. Its all about how you plan for your opponent anyway, the playbook just gives you different options for attacking them.

Oh, I think it sounds great for the game, and at one time I would've probably lived for the in-depth coaching stuff. As I've grown lazier and lazier about it, I almost just want the game to play itself and then comment on the scores, ha!

I mean, I do think there's always been this sort of macro/micro, Coaching vs GMing friction. And I've been on different sides of that spectrum as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Many thanks. Sorry to see it's not a standing setting, but I'll live.

It should be standing. You'll need to be online only to receive updates to your Steam games, or to download them. At least that's how it works for other games.

aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #128
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I actually think the UI is much improved now that I've had a half hour with the game.

One thing I've always loved about FOF is I can do as little or as much as I want. I prefer more of a GM style.. but I do love being able to adjust stuff if I deem necessary.

Congratulations on the release Jim!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #129
Sporkimata
High School JV

I really like what I see so far. I just wish I could figure out a way to make the email window open. I can play without I suppose but it feels wrong.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #130
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Does anyone have a link to the NFL logos? The links in the reference thread are broken.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #131
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
Does anyone have a link to the NFL logos? The links in the reference thread are broken.

Here are various logos I've collected and some I've made over the years. Remember to rename the Rams to ban86.

Simple File Sharing and Storage.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #132
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

First thoughts:

Interesting that the player's award history, personality, injuries, and transaction history are are now one extra click away. I did like having all that information so readily available. Personally, my first impression is that those are more useful than the combines. I like to take a "journalist" approach to the game where I look at a player's history while writing about them... this will make that one click away. Step back for me.

Happy the "Player Attributes" screen is now clickable from the main roster screen.

Jay Cutler came out with higher attributes than Aaron Rodgers on my first game. Unplayable.

Started training camp, game stopped working correctly and had to close. Maybe because I accidentally clicked the button to advance through TC before I had created a playbook. For some reason I thought it would be the button that had me set the training camp settings... I see that's no longer a part of the game. That's fine.

That game wasn't saved, I can't open it, but now I can't use the same game name on my second startup.

Annoying that "Close Window" on the Roster Screen doesn't have a keyboard shortcut and can't be done with "escape"... but I guess you don't have to close that screen anymore so it doesn't totally matter.

Wow... no keyboard shortcut for "Previous" and "Next" when looking at a player card? This is absolutely going to make going through players more time-consuming. Both on my roster and the free agents but especially the free agents. Just got to the first offseason... wow it makes going through rookies too. Why was this keyboard shortcut taken away? This is the most frustrating part for me so far.

Game planning now seems tedious. Was much faster just to tweak percentages from game to game. Playcalling, however, is simpler and more fun I guess. I might tool around with that since I never have before.

I really preferred the old option of having all screens a click away, instead of having to mouse roll through different categories to find what I want. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

For the Grey Sheet, when it says "Stage" it is unclear what that means. Vets will know it means "Stage desired to sign in" or whatever, but that is in no way intuitive or communicated to the new player.

From the "Free Agency" screens, there is no easy way to get to the Roster page / Free Agent list. What's up with that?

My impression is that it's way too easy "Begin Training Camp" and forget to set your Playbook. Since this is such a crucial moment of the game, there should be more of a warning if you didn't change your playbook from the last year.

Simmed 20 years, took about an hour and 20 minutes, stats look pretty solid as far as records go.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #133
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
First thoughts:

Interesting that the player's award history, personality, injuries, and transaction history are are now one extra click away. I did like having all that information so readily available. Personally, my first impression is that those are more useful than the combines. I like to take a "journalist" approach to the game where I look at a player's history while writing about them... this will make that one click away. Step back for me.

Happy the "Player Attributes" screen is now clickable from the main roster screen.

Jay Cutler came out with higher attributes than Aaron Rodgers on my first game. Unplayable.

Started training camp, game stopped working correctly and had to close. Maybe because I accidentally clicked the button to advance through TC before I had created a playbook. For some reason I thought it would be the button that had me set the training camp settings... I see that's no longer a part of the game. That's fine.

That game wasn't saved, I can't open it, but now I can't use the same game name on my second startup.

Annoying that "Close Window" on the Roster Screen doesn't have a keyboard shortcut and can't be done with "escape"... but I guess you don't have to close that screen anymore so it doesn't totally matter.

Wow... no keyboard shortcut for "Previous" and "Next" when looking at a player card? This is absolutely going to make going through players more time-consuming. Both on my roster and the free agents but especially the free agents. Just got to the first offseason... wow it makes going through rookies too. Why was this keyboard shortcut taken away? This is the most frustrating part for me so far.

Game planning now seems tedious. Was much faster just to tweak percentages from game to game. Playcalling, however, is simpler and more fun I guess. I might tool around with that since I never have before.

I really preferred the old option of having all screens a click away, instead of having to mouse roll through different categories to find what I want. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

For the Grey Sheet, when it says "Stage" it is unclear what that means. Vets will know it means "Stage desired to sign in" or whatever, but that is in no way intuitive or communicated to the new player.

From the "Free Agency" screens, there is no easy way to get to the Roster page / Free Agent list. What's up with that?

My impression is that it's way too easy "Begin Training Camp" and forget to set your Playbook. Since this is such a crucial moment of the game, there should be more of a warning if you didn't change your playbook from the last year.

Simmed 20 years, took about an hour and 20 minutes, stats look pretty solid as far as records go.

Yeah, I like the stats for the records too.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #134
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

I know my post complained about the interface a lot... but one example is that you can't see "Championship Rings" on the main player card. I like to do quick searches for "Best QB without a Ring", etc., and now that info is one annoying more click away (times however many players I want to analyze for TD passes compared to Rings)
Old 11-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #135
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Dola:

It seems like offseason renegotiation is going to take longer. Before, the keyboard shortcuts for Negotiate, Submit, Next were the fastest way to get through your 1 year remaining / UFA guys. Now there is a whole lot of clicking going on to get through that process.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:40 AM   #136
Yoda
High School Varsity

Quote:
Anybody got a good guess or rationale why DTs are rated for M2M, Zone, and BnR?

I'd guess because of the athletic ability these days, they are dropping into coverage more.
FFL 2013 2014 2015
RNFL 2014 2029
GMFL 2009
HFL 1983 1987 1990
TFL 1983
vNFL 2024
GML 2011
WOOF 2018
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:22 AM   #137
wustin
College Prospect

tom brady runs a 4.7 pls fix
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #138
keeks
n00b

Corey Linsley is still on the Packers in real life
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 AM   #139
keeks
n00b

I dont think UDFA would sign a 2 year deal last year, but they sign 2 year mins now WOO
keeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:10 AM   #140
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
So the log files have all players on the field for every snap....with a +++ or a --- after the name. Didn't know what that means...

...but at the end of the log file, it shows the totals for each player! Very interesting development there.
So to be clear to everyone on this, it appears that minus means "this guy screwed up on that play."
1-10-WAS12 (4Q: 01:03) Harrison Iacuessa pass completed to WR Chris Hillhouse for 12 yards and a TOUCHDOWN! Hillhouse gained 2 yards after the catch. The quarterback threw away from the double coverage. Washington 13, Dallas 13
OFFENSE113t Personnel, Weak formation, PistolDEFENSE34 Eagle, Nickel Personnel, Press-1
QB H.Iacuessa
***LDE L.ShullRush Passer+++
X(SE) L.BushSecondary, F Flat (0-4)+++NT B.MathisRush Passer+++
TE C.BensenOutlet, 3 Comeback (9-12)+++RDE K.MarquisRush Passer+++
Z(FL) C.HillhousePrimary, 3 Comeback (9-12)+++SLB T.RhodesShort Zone+++
RB G.StewartOutlet, W Wheel (9-18)+++SILB E.MontgomeryShort Zone---
SLOT R.SpearmanOutlet, 1 Out (5-8)+++WLB K.BanksShort Zone---
LT D.Stehlik
+++LCB K.RiordanBump and Run+++
LG K.Sawyer
+++RCB E.MunozBump and Run+++
C E.Hardman
+++NB P.HenryBump and Run+++
RG S.Rector
+++SS C.LyleDouble TE+++
RT R.Morrison
+++FS J.LeakeDeep Zone+++

So for the game-winning TD above, we know that Montgomery and Banks share responsibility.

Being mad at fake football players is gonna go to a WHOLE new level, gentlemen!

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-24-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:23 AM   #141
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
First thoughts:

Yes, I noticed this as well....didn't save until I actually hit the SAVE button but the name got taken anyway. You can manually correct that by delete the directories in the following folder.

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\Solecismic Software\Front Office Football Eight\universe
Old 11-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #142
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Sorry for the repeat question, but struggling a little bit with the depth chart aspects of the new version. Couple of things.

1) Doesn't appear you can assign backup roles yourself anymore. For example, if I have (3) QBs on my roster, doesn't appear I can designate who the actual backup is. Same with other positions. Does that mean the computer decides for you now? Little disappointed if that is the case because limits my personal choices who I might be grooming for a bigger role on the team.

2) Realistic preseason usage. In the older version you had options to control how players played in the preseason which I can no longer find. Is this another thing now where the computer decides for you? I wouldn't be against that but I haven't been impressed on how my team gets managed. I have starting QBs playing the full game (along with other player positions), playing into the 4th QTR, and not getting enough of the backups opportunities. This cost me in my last game where in a meaningless 2nd pre season, my starting running back (Bell) got injured when playing late into the game.

I hope I am just missing something which some of the more experienced players have figured out. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:30 AM   #143
Sef0r
n00b

I like it overall, similar gripes to others but this is what I'm concerned about:

The main screen to get to windows is too complex, rolling the mouse over the screens just to get to options/screens that were available in 1 click from the previous version. I will get used to it, I just preferred having all my main windows open (i.e. Roster, Depth, Sim, Email, Record book) and then going to the options I want from the enormous list. The fact I have to find gameplanning by rolling over 2 areas and hoping I can click on the one I want before I "accidentally" roll over another screen will be frustrating for a while.

Player cards seems to have gone backwards - having to click options within a player card to see "RED card", injuries, etc, is 1 too many clicks. Then again it's something I'll get used to.

Am I missing where I can see the full details of a player's contract, how many years left, etc?

I do however love the fact that the "REX" now generates random gameplans on each click. I just generate some until it gives me the run% I'm after, then I tweak it a bit and test it in SP. If it doesn't give me what I want, I REX some more. I've found a couple already that give me similar run/pass plays and output as the main one I use in FOF7 and I've saved it in preperation for MP when the online leagues convert. BUT...

...while removing plays from your playbook is easy enough...adding plays is weird as heck. You have to select the play from the left then click on the "heading" of the situation/scenario you want that play to be added. Would be great to have a drag and drop feature but probably a limitation of the game interface and it might require using java or similar to do.
Other suggestion is to allow the play diagram to change when scrolling down the plays using the arrows on the keyboard. You can scroll down no worries, but the play diagram remains the same and only changes when clicking with mouse.

Last edited by Sef0r : 11-24-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Sef0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #144
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston217 View Post
From the other thread...Julio, yeah, that sounds good in theory, but I wonder how it will play out. I'll be interested in hearing about it, for sure.

I mean, if I have a big play receiver, then I expect him to get used on deep routes. If I have a slot receiver, I expect him to get used in YAC type situations. I don't think I should have to dig into the minutiae to make sure that all this is being maximized. That seems like a chore. And in the MP environment especially, I'm skeptical that this won't lead to a large gap between those willing to work on 200 plays and those who just Rex it, as a result.

+1. The gap between rex and human play calling design, or even lack thereof, is going to be huge. This strikes me as a risky release from a MP standpoint. Is this going to lead to massive stat analysis in the way the draft has? Could potentially be a problem. We will see.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #145
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sef0r View Post
Am I missing where I can see the full details of a player's contract, how many years left, etc?

You can get detailed view on the player card, click view contract. Can also see some of that on the roster screen, under contract view.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:46 AM   #146
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankles View Post
Rex wants to fill my dime CB slots with linebackers.

On the game plan detail screen, believe there is an option where you can give the computer instructions on how exact the position match must be.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:53 AM   #147
PLD3009
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post

I fell foul of this as well.

On the email it says you can set the offensive playbook and sign free agents.

On the main screen it says to sets your schedule (which I don't think is there anymore) and send players for weight training.

Think like some one has already mentioned, the schedule setting text needs to go
PLD3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #148
Sef0r
n00b

Quote:
You can get detailed view on the player card, click view contract. Can also see some of that on the roster screen, under contract view.

lol I was just about to come on here and apologies for missing the only other button called "Contract View" in the player card....
Old 11-24-2016, 05:08 AM   #149
Ben E Lou

Quote:
1) Doesn't appear you can assign backup roles yourself anymore. For example, if I have (3) QBs on my roster, doesn't appear I can designate who the actual backup is. Same with other positions. Does that mean the computer decides for you now? Little disappointed if that is the case because limits my personal choices who I might be grooming for a bigger role on the team.
Jim mentioned this quite some time ago in one of the blog posts, and it's confirmed in the Help File.
Quote:
Defensive Personnel Screen

The Defensive Personnel screen controls your starting players on defense.

Players must be healthy (they can be injured, but not listed as out) in order to be placed in the depth chart.

If you set the option for the coach to handle your depth charts on the Game Options Screen, your depth charts are set for you prior to each game regardless of what you do with this screen. This option is on after you install Front Office Football.

Starters are divided into six sections, based on personnel. Your defensive personnel for a play is determined by the number of wide receivers in the personnel group the offense has out on the field. However, in third-and-long and in goal-line situations, there are obvious personnel changes necessary to prevent offensive coordinators from taking advantage of using a run-likely personnel group in a pass situation.

Use the Analyze button for an assessment of whether a player is going to be on the field too much. If it appears that a player will be used beyond his endurance, you’ll see a warning when you analyze the depth chart. That player may be less effective in a game as a result, and he will be more likely to become tired and limited in future games. Defensive Tackles have the lowest endurance, followed by defensive ends, linebackers, cornerbacks and finally safeties.

Tired players may be substituted in addition to what you’ve set up in the depth chart. In this case, the game will make an intelligent choice as to who will substitute, and this will be done on a play-by-play basis. If you use the personnel charts to try and force a player to remain on the field too long, he will start “economizing” his performance and you will get a generally reduced level of play.

Use the lock buttons to lock a player in place when selecting the Scout Recommendations button.

The scouting report consists of the same scouting information you see in the Scouting Report area of the player information screen, as well as a brief statistical summary of the player's current season.

The area underneath the skill set bars indicates your player's experience level. Unlike offense, players on defense gain overall experience, not experience specific to their assigned positions.

Your defensive coordinator determines your defensive front's default alignment. You can't change this without changing your defensive coordinator.

Use the Recommend button to have your staff recommend a depth chart for you.

More information can be found about defense in Front Office Football by viewing the article about Defensive Philosophy.
I've seen people complaining about it, but I don't see that this is a big deal. It's not like the roster limit is large enough to carry so many active backups that the proper one to use isn't pretty obvious. I just pulled up a random FOF7 MP team of mine. I have the following active backups at each position:

QB: 3 (but in FOF8, I'll only need one, so the choice will be made for the AI)
RB: 2
FB: 1
TE: 2
WR: Carrying 5, and they can all be designated in the FOF8 charts
C: 1
G: 1
T: 1
DE: 2
DT: 1
ILB: 1
OLB: 1
CB: Carrying 5, and they can all be designated in the FOF8 charts)
S: 1

So out of 14 position groups that can't be specifically designated, only 3 of mine will even require a choice to be made by the AI. Of those three, the choices are:

RB: 41/41 vs. 28/31
TE: 37/37 vs. 21/26

DE: 48/48 vs. 47/47

So maybe I'm not happy with the backup DE choice the AI makes, maybe I am. Either way, I suspect that it's not worth the trouble to many players to have to fill in all of those boxes for what is very likely to be a very minimal gain.

In short, I suspect people complaining about this don't realize how infrequently it will even be a question. In places where it is, it seems that the simple solution is to keep just one backup active for that position group.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:10 AM   #150
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
+1. The gap between rex and human play calling design, or even lack thereof, is going to be huge.
We don't know that yet. It's quite possible to code it in such a way that Rex is a solid B+ and that humans can't gain a big advantage over that. (There are some signs already that on offense at least, that could well be the case.)