Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #251
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgfan19 View Post
Hopefully FOF 8 will begin generating heavier OLBs. In FOF 7, I don't recall many elite pass rushing 34 style WLBs weighting around 260 lbs. I have not been through enough drafts to gauge that.

But I suppose moving a light DE to WLB would be an option.
...or heavier ILBs to OLB when the conversion of existing MP leagues happens. From what I've seen, there are plenty of players generated in the right size range to play 3-4 OLB. I suspect that in MP there will be FAR more position-switching and weight training on defense than we've ever seen, especially when it comes to decent backups who get passed around from team to team. A 255-pounder who can weight train in either direction might get switched several times betwen SOLB, WOLB, SILB, OR RDE effectively depending on the team and scheme.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-26-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #252
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am not able to designate a franchise player this offseason. Is there still that rule where if I extend a previously franchised guy, I lack the tag until his contract runs out?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #253
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Does anyone know where to change defense front?? I tried checking the game FAQ but I wound up spending 15 min reading up on defensive philosophies of the various fronts. Very informative but couldn't find the answer to my question.
Ned Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #254
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Doolittle View Post
Does anyone know where to change defense front?? I tried checking the game FAQ but I wound up spending 15 min reading up on defensive philosophies of the various fronts. Very informative but couldn't find the answer to my question.

By hiring a defensive coordinator that runs the front you want. Aside from that, you play the front that your defensive coordinator knows.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #255
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Yeah exactly, higher ypc on the scrambles. So you won't be making 4.8 ypc as a primary ball carrier. If you are using a guy with "good wheels" a good proportion of those runs will be scrambles...which typically see 7 ypc or so. Doesn't sound a very healthy average for the designed runs to me.

I don't know if Jim is raising the injuries risk factor for ball carriers in this version, but it is also worth keeping an eye out for. In the real world if you are using a QB as a designed ball carrier you need to be doing very well out of it.

If you are using a QB for designed runs, you need to be doing just about as well as Sky was doing out of it. Last year, the only QB in the league who had 130+ carries was Cam Newton.

Cam ran the ball 132 times for 636 yards. (or 4.8 yards per carry) There were two other QB's who ran it just over 100 times in Tyrod Taylor and Russell Wilson. They came in at 5.5 and 5.4 yards per carry.

When you start running 9 to 12 times a game with your QB (on scrambles or designed runs) NFL defenses figure you out and make adjustments. It's unreasonable to think you will run for much higher than that when you run the QB as often as that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #256
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
By hiring a defensive coordinator that runs the front you want. Aside from that, you play the front that your defensive coordinator knows.

Slight annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. Did a fictional roster draft to start a game and draft for a 3-4 and end up with a 4-3 coordinator.

Not a big deal, I hired a 3-4 guy in the next staff draft.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:33 PM   #257
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Slight annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. Did a fictional roster draft to start a game and draft for a 3-4 and end up with a 4-3 coordinator.

Not a big deal, I hired a 3-4 guy in the next staff draft.

Same, since I usually run a 3-4 and utilize my WLB in a unique way, when I get a WLB injured, I normally don't have a backup that can do what he does, so I switch to a 4-3. Can't do that anymore. Then again, I can't do what I did with my WLB's anymore either.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #258
General Mike
Pro Starter

A lot more concussions than in previous versions?
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #259
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
If you are using a QB for designed runs, you need to be doing just about as well as Sky was doing out of it. Last year, the only QB in the league who had 130+ carries was Cam Newton.

Cam ran the ball 132 times for 636 yards. (or 4.8 yards per carry) There were two other QB's who ran it just over 100 times in Tyrod Taylor and Russell Wilson. They came in at 5.5 and 5.4 yards per carry.

When you start running 9 to 12 times a game with your QB (on scrambles or designed runs) NFL defenses figure you out and make adjustments. It's unreasonable to think you will run for much higher than that when you run the QB as often as that.

I think the problem with the NFL is that there is only 1 NFL to look at. There really doesn't seem to be any elite QB runners right now. Wilson was slowed with injury this year and last.

The year before that he broke 7 ypc on 118 carries. RG3 also rushed 118 times at over 7 ypc.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #260
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

All the QBs do Scramble now, even Brady and Rivers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #261
Hammer
College Prospect

I guess Michael Vick would come to mind as a 100 rated rushing QB. His high was 123 carries for 1039 yards at 8.4 ypc.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #262
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I guess Michael Vick would come to mind as a 100 rated rushing QB. His high was 123 carries for 1039 yards at 8.4 ypc.

Good one. Randall Cunningham too. 118 for 942 at 8.0 ypc in 1990, plus 7 for 80 in the playoff game.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #263
bluewave
n00b

Just some quick pros and cons after my experience so far with FOF8.

+Can finally have two QBs active during gameday instead of forcing three.
+Quick sim history.
+Realistic stats overall.
+More depth to coaches and coordinators.
+More options for the user to customize their experience.
+Overall I like the UI changes, and like the simplicity.
-The green field in the UI is ugly. Clashes with the nice background.
-Three TEs required to be active, hate this requirement.
-Still no practice squad. Disappointing.
-Pre-season still has the dumb active player limits. Huge disappointment.
-AI player evaluations and Rex in general is hit or miss. I don't trust my staff.
-New Jersey Jets.

I'm content with my purchase mostly for the fact that I now have updated rosters. Lukewarm feeling with FOF8, expected some of my cons to not exist.
bluewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #264
aston217
College Prospect

Hang on, 3 TEs have to be active?

That's new. In FOF7 it's two.

aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #265
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston217 View Post
Hang on, 3 TEs have to be active?

That's new. In FOF7 it's two.

Yeah, it "sucks". I'm guessing this is realistic though if you went around the NFL.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 11-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #266
aston217
College Prospect

That was an argument made for QBs at the time, too...d'oh. >_<*

Kyle Van Noy chips in as New England Patriots D searches for right mix - New England Patriots Blog- ESPN

Without Gronk, the Pats dressed two TEs and used 6'6, 320-lb OT Cameron Fleming as a TE in a certain number of snaps. I like the "OT-as-extra-TE" feature. And I also haven't scoped most team's active rosters on gameday but I suspect that 3 TEs is not /necessary/ and so doesn't happen all the time. If I want to employ a team that rolls with two true TEs, I think I should be able to. I'm all about roster flexibility. Wouldn't mind a FB flexing into that "H-back" position as well if need be.

3 TEs seems like the new 2 QBs, only it'll be more annoying as more TEs play and so more TEs are going to get hurt at one time. Having to deal with a 4th QB on roster was at least a somewhat uncommon issue. A 4th TE is probably something you can expect to have to do every season at some point.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england...d-falls-behind

Previous week, also two TEs.

Last edited by aston217 : 11-26-2016 at 05:03 PM.
aston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:10 PM   #267
cankles
n00b

Sorry but I'm giving up on this. Back to FOF7. I've got a really talented roster and can't figure out how to make it do what I want. Maybe I'll come back in a few months when other people have cracked the code or Rex has been improved.
cankles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #268
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankles View Post
Sorry but I'm giving up on this. Back to FOF7. I've got a really talented roster and can't figure out how to make it do what I want. Maybe I'll come back in a few months when other people have cracked the code or Rex has been improved.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't really like how Rex generates the playbook. Seems random.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #269
Millerp33
n00b

This game seems to have a ton of potential but there are more then a few things that have changed that as a SP I don't like. I hate the fact that I have no in game control over my depth charts. My #1 WR went out with an injury and I cant control who I want to take his place. As a player who calls all of his teams plays I need control of my in game depth chart. I'm required to activate 3 TE's which is useless for me because I'm still old school and utilize a FB. I think FOF7 was perfect and this game has taken leaps and bounds in some areas and major step backs in others... I keep hoping it will all get fixed with a patch...
Millerp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 PM   #270
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerp33 View Post
This game seems to have a ton of potential but there are more then a few things that have changed that as a SP I don't like. I hate the fact that I have no in game control over my depth charts. My #1 WR went out with an injury and I cant control who I want to take his place. As a player who calls all of his teams plays I need control of my in game depth chart. I'm required to activate 3 TE's which is useless for me because I'm still old school and utilize a FB. I think FOF7 was perfect and this game has taken leaps and bounds in some areas and major step backs in others... I keep hoping it will all get fixed with a patch...

Lack of depth chart control is my one of my disappointments, however it won't keep me from playing this version. Although, one of my fears happened in my last game. I let the computer control everything (i.e. personnel packages, etc.) and simmed the game. Looking at the box score, James Harrison (LB for the Steelers) was playing RB, he had 17 carries for (-12) yards. Two other RBs were listed (even though 4 were active) so I am not sure why the computer put him in the lineup since it seems like two other RBs were available. And since he had 17 carries, wasn't just a one time thing, seemed like he was really playing RB. Unfortunately, when I went to investigate, the game crashed without being saved so couldn't tell much.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:08 PM   #271
NawlinsFan
High School Varsity

[quote=bluewave;3131925]Just some quick pros and cons after my experience so far with FOF8.

-New Jersey Jets.

Just set the Jets home city to Newark. Then change the name of Newark to New York with the NYJ initials. Done.
NawlinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:10 PM   #272
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I don't really like how Rex generates the playbook. Seems random.

Don't think random according to the help file, it says the game will generate a different plan each time based on how it calculates things. I think of it like the computer is giving you options and you have to choose which ones best mirrors what you want. However, I can see how people would rather it generate the same one based on situation, which likely is how I would lean as well.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #273
Millerp33
n00b

The in game depth charts are a tough pill to swallow so far for me but not a deal breaker yet. Although if my LB starts running 17x in a game I may throw in the towel. I would like to see it addressed somehow in the future. After playing a few games and calling all of my own plays I have come to relatively like the new play calling feature. It took me some time to understand all the intricate football terminology but all in all its just not as good as play calling in FOF7. For the life of me I cant figure out why I just cant run the same play to the opposite side. I feel like I could do so much more if I could swap directions of plays.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #274
Cole
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave View Post
+More options for the user to customize their experience.

Interesting, like what?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:00 PM   #275
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Lack of depth chart control is my one of my disappointments, however it won't keep me from playing this version. Although, one of my fears happened in my last game. I let the computer control everything (i.e. personnel packages, etc.) and simmed the game. Looking at the box score, James Harrison (LB for the Steelers) was playing RB, he had 17 carries for (-12) yards. Two other RBs were listed (even though 4 were active) so I am not sure why the computer put him in the lineup since it seems like two other RBs were available. And since he had 17 carries, wasn't just a one time thing, seemed like he was really playing RB. Unfortunately, when I went to investigate, the game crashed without being saved so couldn't tell much.

I've never seen anything like this. Harrison playing RB, if that's what happened, is definitely a bug and I'd venture it's a rare one. You have depth chart control, it's just called the offensive/defensive personnel screen.

I guess it's worth chiming in to say I'm mostly playing a GM-level game and letting the AI handle most things. Things feel pretty right so far on that front, with the occasional small curiosity. When we have a talented squad with some continuity in place, we're pretty good. When we don't, we're more inconsistent or frustrating.

I think I can have fun at this level while I start to slowly get a better sense of the way new features ripple through things. It's been a cool staple of FOF games in the past that I'm still learning things long after release. This feels likely to be the same for me.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:01 PM   #276
vatech24
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
This game is a dream come true as a Steelers fan! Just started the season and immediately Cleveland offers me a trade (draft pick) for Landry Jones! I would have traded him for a bag of donuts. Jim really got this game right where Cleveland is being Cleveland making a trade like this

About to buy this but do trades happen more often then version 7?

Yes i know in football there aren't that many trades but in regards to this above, did this happen during the offseason or preseason?
vatech24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #277
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post
I've never seen anything like this. Harrison playing RB, if that's what happened, is definitely a bug and I'd venture it's a rare one. You have depth chart control, it's just called the offensive/defensive personnel screen.

No "if" about it, definitely happened. And you really don't have depth chart control in the traditional sense with personnel packages. The personnel packages allow you to determine what players you want on the field in certain formations/situations, it does not allow you to setup depth/backups at each position like past versions as I have previously mentioned. You don't have the ability to identify who your backup players are for each position, it appears the computer makes those decisions for you. So if my WR gets hurt in the game, I don't get to dictate which of my WRs would take over for him. Yes, I could try and not activate certain players to help the computer make the decision I want, but that could get tricky under certain circumstances. For example, if I want to dictate specifically what backup RB to use, I would need to de-activate all other RBs on my team. Then I run the risk of who would play RB if my two RBs got injured in the same game. This could lead to situations where Harrison or other low probability players would have to play the position.

As for why Harrison came into this specific game, I don't know since the game crashed before I could analyze what the CPU had for personnel packages and such. I haven't seen it since so I am guessing it is a rare thing, but certainly is possible to happen since I saw it at least once.

Last edited by SlyBelle1 : 11-26-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #278
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatech24 View Post
About to buy this but do trades happen more often then version 7?

Yes i know in football there aren't that many trades but in regards to this above, did this happen during the offseason or preseason?

Not sure if more than past versions since I don't expect many trades for the reason you mention, but this particular trade offer was made to me in week #1 of the season.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #279
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Saw FOF8 posts. Went into shock. Purchased game. Getting ready to read the help file like a novel until first patch. So happy.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #280
TheBeck67
n00b

Is it just me? I have been trying to make offers to players that should be eligible for a new contract and that button seems to be not active.

I've played every FOF game since the beginning and I think I should know how to do this.. But it isn't working for me like it used to and it doesn't seem possible to retain my players that I need to at the end of the season.
TheBeck67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #281
QuikSand
lolzcat

From the help file:

Quote:
During the regular season, you can't renegotiate a player's contract. You can, however, still offer a Cap Out to free up a little bit of salary cap space.

This is new - in previous versions of FOF, you could renegotiate (extend) right up until the title game. Now, you need to do it before the regular season starts. Probably more realistic, even if we don't like it.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-26-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: edited my incorrect timing mention to prevent confusion
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:22 PM   #282
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeck67 View Post
Is it just me? I have been trying to make offers to players that should be eligible for a new contract and that button seems to be not active.

I've played every FOF game since the beginning and I think I should know how to do this.. But it isn't working for me like it used to and it doesn't seem possible to retain my players that I need to at the end of the season.

Renegotiations can only take place before the regular season now. Meaningful change for most of us who were used to doing late season extensions like you mention.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #283
Titletown
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcPow View Post

I guess it's worth chiming in to say I'm mostly playing a GM-level game and letting the AI handle most things. Things feel pretty right so far on that front, with the occasional small curiosity. When we have a talented squad with some continuity in place, we're pretty good. When we don't, we're more inconsistent or frustrating.

I think I can have fun at this level while I start to slowly get a better sense of the way new features ripple through things. It's been a cool staple of FOF games in the past that I'm still learning things long after release. This feels likely to be the same for me.

I made my first FOF purchase a couple days ago. Still learning the ins and outs of it. Reading these posts makes me wonder if I made a mistake.
Titletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #284
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
From the help file:

This is new - in previous versions of FOF, you could renegotiate (extend) right up until the title game. Now, you need to do it before training camp. Probably more realistic, even if we don't like it.

You can do it during preseason. I just do it at week 5.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #285
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
From the help file:

This is new - in previous versions of FOF, you could renegotiate (extend) right up until the title game. Now, you need to do it before the regular season starts. Probably more realistic, even if we don't like it.

This might jack up my first season.

Although I'm the Browns.. so maybe not.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #286
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titletown View Post
I made my first FOF purchase a couple days ago. Still learning the ins and outs of it. Reading these posts makes me wonder if I made a mistake.

Not at all man! I think it's a great game. If anything I'm trying to post for folks coming to things with a fresher set of eyes like yourself. I personally think a lot of the initial commentary is geared toward productively identifying some tweaks that could be made and a few potential errors. The fundamental strength of the game is there, and there are unexplored new features to learn and hopefully love. I'd give it a shot.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 AM   #287
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Even with some of the things that I am dispoointed with, I would never suggest not worth the purchase or playing. Simply the best American football career sim on the market, which will likely continue to improve with community feedback.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:29 AM   #288
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

In this instance, a mistake was not made. What you will find, is that while there are bugs, the developer has a great track record of squashing them pretty quickly. In addition to this, he also has a track record of sending out extra patches that were never anticipated that either refines the game or adds some new features/functionality. This can even be even years after its initial release instead of creating a new version and calling it FOF 9 to address issues in a previous version.

To illustrate, Front Office Football 7 (previous version) was released December 2013:
Front Office Football Seven - Front Office Football Central

And here is a sample list of patches:
FOF 7.0a Released. - Front Office Football Central - 7.0a (January 2014)
7.0b Released. Greenlight Campaign Underway. - Front Office Football Central - 7.0b (March 2014)
Front Office Football Version 7.1 Released - Front Office Football Central - 7.1 (November 2014)
7.1a is out - Front Office Football Central - 7.1a (November 2014)
For those who missed it, a new version (7.1b) was released yesterday. - Front Office Football Central - 7.1b (February 2015)
7.1c Released - Front Office Football Central - 7.1c (April 2015)
Version 7.2 Released - Front Office Football Central - 7.2 (December 2015)

This is why his products are ones I generally purchase immediately because they are very solid games and while there are bugs from time to time, they are generally taken care of and he tends to add some nice surprises as he fixes the other things.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #289
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Same, since I usually run a 3-4 and utilize my WLB in a unique way, when I get a WLB injured, I normally don't have a backup that can do what he does, so I switch to a 4-3. Can't do that anymore. Then again, I can't do what I did with my WLB's anymore either.

I like this setup in FOF8 now. When you really think about it how any teams run a 3-4 or 4-3 and then someone gets hurt and they decide to play the other defensive front? Not many. It makes sense in a game like FOF8 to want to do that but in real life you pick a front in the offseason, practice it and that's what you play all season long.

I just would like it if this is the way FOF8 handles it then it's in the FAQ, easily searchable. That having been said I like that the game handles it this way, you should only be able to run the defensive scheme your DC knows. That's a great way of doing it.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the addition of "Assistant Coach" and the "Strength and Conditioning Coach". I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the game FAQ but the Asst Coach has the same attributes as all the other coaches - what's his duties? And I wish the Strength Coach had more attributes so that it doesn't become a matter of "let me get the guy with the highest ratings in 2 categories". "Injury Recovery" would've been a nice 3rd category to add, where you might have to select a guy who is good in only 2 out of 3 categories. Assistant coach should have more of the scouting type duties. I just don't know what he does. These two coaches seem just a way to introduce more of a FM-type thing where you have a whole crew of coaches. But in FM the coaches have more attributes to make them slightly all unique and you have to pick and choose which attributes mean more to you.

Last edited by Ned Doolittle : 11-27-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #290
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Doolittle View Post
...One thing I'm not a fan of is the addition of "Assistant Coach" and the "Strength and Conditioning Coach". I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the game FAQ but the Asst Coach has the same attributes as all the other coaches - what's his duties? And I wish the Strength Coach had more attributes so that it doesn't become a matter of "let me get the guy with the highest ratings in 2 categories". "Injury Recovery" would've been a nice 3rd category to add, where you might have to select a guy who is good in only 2 out of 3 categories. Assistant coach should have more of the scouting type duties. I just don't know what he does. These two coaches seem just a way to introduce more of a FM-type thing where you have a whole crew of coaches. But in FM the coaches have more attributes to make them slightly all unique and you have to pick and choose which attributes mean more to you.

Both of those coaches are in FOF 7 so it is not new in this game. Both are also mentioned in the help file. For info on where it is mentioned in the previous game and also applies to this game, view the thread here:
FOF7 - Staff Draft and Staff Role Thoughts - Front Office Football Central

And here is a chart of what responsibilities they have:
Old 11-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #291
Ned Doolittle
Banned

I'm not a fan of some of the in game graphics. Looks like he used Comic sans for some of the fonts and that Herb season score thing is really cheesy looking after all these years (it was cheesy when the game first launched all these yrs ago but we didn't know any better). We get it Jim, this isn't Madden. But UI is one of the easier things to redo and the fact that you had two graphics ppl helping out doesn't say a lot. I made a new "Herb" screen, used Chris Berman from ESPN to replace the the Herb image. Haven't been able to test it out yet because I just finished my first season, saw the old Herb screen and I was like "nope, not gonna look at this 1990s cheesy graphic at the end of every season" and spent about an hour or so trying to find the best image to Photoshop into the game. Can't wait to see how it looks, I'll post a screenshot of the finished product once my 2nd season is over.

But really, the "graphics", "color schemes" and UI sucks, it's like he didn't even try to make it modern. Thankfully the game is really good and it's so fun to play.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #292
Ned Doolittle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Both of those coaches are in FOF 7 so it is not new in this game. Both are also mentioned in the help file. For info on where it is mentioned in the previous game and also applies to this game, view the thread here:
FOF7 - Staff Draft and Staff Role Thoughts - Front Office Football Central

And here is a chart of what responsibilities they have:

Holy crap! Thanks!!

Last edited by Ned Doolittle : 11-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #293
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Just a quick fore-note: Can anyone remind me where to find the button to take a guy off special teams is? Someone mentioned it recently and ever since I've been looking but can't find it.

To respond to the thread title, I love FOF8 already even with its little quirks. The depth chart bugs are enough to mess up a real career right now, so I'm still just messing around with it. In most respects, it feels good so far. I have always played the game as a true GM and haven't done much with the game planning aspect, but the new way of doing things looks very tempting to me and I may finally jump in.

I absolutely love that coaches have schemes. This adds a layer of interest to the Staff Draft which was otherwise pretty boring for me in the past. Now I'm always on the lookout for a guy who might be better at my preferred scheme, or considering whether making a switch would be worth it if some prodigy becomes available in a scheme I am not running. I think that Jim has added a lot of depth and interest to many areas of the game.

One issue I've noticed is that if you start a league with the lowest salary cap possible (I do this with a start date in 1950 so as to build up a long history before present day) you will still quickly get to modern salary numbers. So I've got a cap of $88M in 1960, but top QBs are already pulling in $15M. Looking at the numbers on this page we are already at the 2013 salaries, when the NFL had a cap of $123M. I wouldn't call this a bug, but it feels weird, and strains all the teams in my league, many of whom are over the cap. Does anyone have any experience with getting more realistic cap numbers and salaries in historic leagues? I don't think it's worth bothering Jim about right now as he's busy squashing bugs, but maybe some of you have run into the problem before and know something. I don't remember it being so far off the mark before, but I also don't recall what settings I used for the cap increase range. This time I didn't adjust it, and that has to be wrong.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #294
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidhe View Post
Just a quick fore-note: Can anyone remind me where to find the button to take a guy off special teams is? Someone mentioned it recently and ever since I've been looking but can't find it...

Click on the Roster button ---> Play Attributes/Special Teams ---> Right click on a player to add/remove from special teams. The column labeled XS lets you know whether they are on special team (Y for Yes, N for No).
Old 11-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #295
Millerp33
n00b

When calling your own Offensive plays, is there an option to go to the "No Huddle" offense? I cant seem to find it but I may just be missing the button somewhere. I like to pick up the pace from time to time and it doesn't seem like we can do that in this version.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #296
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Click on the Roster button ---> Play Attributes/Special Teams ---> Right click on a player to add/remove from special teams. The column labeled XS lets you know whether they are on special team (Y for Yes, N for No).

Thanks!

I think that's very different from the last time I knew where it was.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #297
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerp33 View Post
When calling your own Offensive plays, is there an option to go to the "No Huddle" offense? I cant seem to find it but I may just be missing the button somewhere. I like to pick up the pace from time to time and it doesn't seem like we can do that in this version.

You can trigger it on the Game Plan Details screen. It says "Go to hurry up offense if trailing X minutes remaining per score behind". The max you can set for X is 5.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #298
Millerp33
n00b

I saw that but that's only when trailing. I like going No Huddle during the game. Seems to be an odd subtraction from the game with the state of the actual NFL. Maybe again it's just something missed that will be added and addresses with a patch.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #299
garion333
High School Varsity

It's probably more about balance than anything. If hurry up was available all the time we'd use it constantly to gain an edge. Stats would be inflated.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #300
Sharkn20
High School Varsity

Is it the Intelligence of the Coaches useful now? I can't find anything and they said it was going to be a new feature of FOF8.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sharkn20 is offline   Reply With Quote