Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Need some book recommendations

I like non-fiction, and I've enjoyed books like The Art of War, and the work of guys like Malcolm Gladwell--very cerebrial type of reading. I love psychology, pirates (sort of random), and also sports too...although sports are the least interesting for me in reading (although I loved Moneyball before it became a phenomenom). I've also been heavily interested in finding a good book about Leonardo Da Vinci that's not just a catalog of his works.

Anyway, I know that's sort of a short, random list, but I figured there are other guys on this forum who could at least point me in the right direction.

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

These don't necessarily fit your interests so take it for what you will but these are some of the more interesting non-fiction works I've read in the last year or so:

David Grann's The Lost City of Z which details Percy Fawcett's attempts to find El Dorado

Rawhide Down which details the Ronald Reagan/John Hinckley events.

Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto which takes a look back at the GTA craze.

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Medicine, Madness, and the Murder of a President which examines the assassination of James Garfield.

Finally, I enjoyed Not By a Long Shot: A Season at a Hard Luck Horse Track which details the 2001 season at Suffolks Downs in Boston.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

I know you said non-fiction but with the mention of psychology, I'll throw out Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" as a really cool book.

Might give Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" a try as I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe" perhaps.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i recommend this book to everyone. from wiki

Quote:
Man's Search for Meaning is a 1946 book by Viktor Frankl chronicling his experiences as a concentration camp inmate and describing his psychotherapeutic method of finding a reason to live. According to Frankl, the book intends to answer the question "How was everyday life in a concentration camp reflected in the mind of the average prisoner?" Part One constitutes Frankl's analysis of his experiences in the concentration camps, while Part Two introduces his ideas of meaning and his theory of logotherapy. It is the second-most widely read Holocaust book in the bookstore of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.

According to a survey conducted by the Book-of-the-Month Club and the Library of Congress, Man's Search For Meaning belongs to a list of "the ten most influential books in [the United States]." (New York Times, November 20, 1991). At the time of the author's death in 1997, the book had sold 10 million copies in twenty-four languages.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Smart Football

The Passage of Power

Thank me later.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
Grover
Pro Starter

The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson

Also anything by Jared Diamond if you like history.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Last edited by Grover : 05-16-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
britrock88
Pro Starter

Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, non-fiction!

I second think fast and slow.
Also:
Psychopath test- fun read on our world really being run by psychopaths
Gang leader for a day- amazing story of sociologist living with a drug dealer in Chicago
The Great Transformation: The Beginning of Our Religious Traditions Armstrong rocks, this book brings in east and west very well

Last edited by AENeuman : 05-17-2012 at 01:11 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

GREAT recs guys thank you. Some of these, the mystery-type stories, I'd like to try and work into the one class I teach.

I think I'm going to start with Thinking Fast and Slow, but I've added most of these into my Amazon cart.

I think I might swing by the bookstore and get this first one though--looks great!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really enjoyed "Blank Slate" by Steven Pinker.

Amazon.com: The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature (9780670031511): Steven Pinker: Books
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
korme
Go Reds

Which Gladwell books have you read?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote