JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

$3.67 regular tonight, $3.97 super ... that's up 13 cents versus last night
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #852
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Glad someone else does this as I'm currently doing it on a bigger scale. Flights to England in June seem to be in the $1300-1400 range out of Louisville, but Aer Lingus has flights out of Chicago for $1000. If I can find a way to drive to Chicago with someone, it might save me money (Chicago is about 4.5 hours for me).

I think I can handle the $3.20!

When we were living in Richmond a couple of years ago, we drove up to DC to fly out of Dulles. We got round trip flights to Bogota for $375 where it would have been at least double that from Richmond and one hotel room. Same with going up to Chicago to meet my wife a few times last year instead of her flying into Indy

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #853
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

when iran announced it was stopping oil shipments to gb and france(when was that? last week sometime?) that same day i read a report saying saudi arabia was cutting back on oil production.

surely a tragic coincidence.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #854
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Saudi was promising to increase production to negate Iran's action earlier this year. Yeah- I know- we should trust Saudi as far as we can throw them but it made sense because they have a vested interest. Last time the cost here rose above $4 a gallon, there was a pretty substantial shift in the population's use of gasoline. There was a wave of people who went to mass transit who haven't gone back.

Even bigger was that the sales of SUVs and other high gas consumption vehicles fell into the toilet and compacts/hybrids/etc shot way up. That affects gas consumption for years to come. So what good is profits for the summer if you lock in much lower consumption for 10 years?

SI

Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #855
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And for those that believed in the "Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less" line, US oil production is at the highest level in 8 years.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #856
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I still don't understand the mentality of curtailing a trip just because the price of gas goes up $1 (say to $5 as they are predicting). Sure it would be nice to spend that money on something else but if, for example, you're making a trip that will cost thousands (like a ballparks tour or to Disney World), the extra $1 per gallon is not going to make that much difference.

Here's my example. This summer my son and I are doing another long road trip to the West Coast (visit family, friends and for him to go to church camp). I have to compare the cost of 3000 miles worth of gas (assuming $5) plus lodgings on the way with the cost of two plane tickets, renting a car for 2 weeks plus gas. Still cheaper (and much more fun!) to do the road trip.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 02-26-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #857
DanGarion
Coordinator

$4.27 around the corner.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #858
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I still understand the mentality of curtailing a trip just because the price of gas goes up $1 (say to $5 as they are predicting). Sure it would be nice to spend that money on something else but if, for example, you're making a trip that will cost thousands (like a ballparks tour or to Disney World), the extra $1 per gallon is not going to make that much difference.

Here's my example. This summer my son and I are doing another long road trip to the West Coast (visit family, friends and for him to go to church camp). I have to compare the cost of 3000 miles worth of gas (assuming $5) plus lodgings on the way with the cost of two plane tickets, renting a car for 2 weeks plus gas. Still cheaper (and much more fun!) to do the road trip.

I always think this is a byproduct of horrible math reasoning. It's not like filling up a 12 gallon tank goes from 0 dollars to 60 bucks. At most it costs like 20 more than normal.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #859
Buccaneer
Head Coach

stevew, you get it, despite me leaving out a key word at the beginning (fixed now).
Old 02-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #860
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I figured there was a missing "don't"
Old 02-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #861
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Here's the specific example of what I calculate:
Last summer, I did a 3000 mile road trip in my car (35 mpg). Paid an average $4/g. Total cost: $343. If it was $5/g, $429. $86 difference. Not significant.

This summer, I'll be taking the Rav4 (25 mpg, I think) - 120 gallons. Total costs still less than 2 plane tickets, regardless if it's $4 or $5.

The real signifcance comes for those that drive 400-500 miles/week. I sympathize with that. I was reacting to the usual news reports about people deciding not to drive on a family vacation because it might cost an extra $100 or so.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #862
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I still don't understand the mentality of curtailing a trip just because the price of gas goes up $1 (say to $5 as they are predicting). Sure it would be nice to spend that money on something else but if, for example, you're making a trip that will cost thousands (like a ballparks tour or to Disney World), the extra $1 per gallon is not going to make that much difference.

Well, exactly- you just factor it in with everything else. Even with 20mpg, which is towards the low end of what a lot of cars get these days, the gas cost difference on a 3000 mile road trip is $150 for each $1 jump. That's a pretty substantial chunk of change but not if you are thinking about the trip costs as a whole. When you're thinking about 2 weeks of tickets, hotels, etc- it's like adding another couple of nights of hotel rooms on but it's still less than 10% of overall trip cost.

I think that for weekend sort of trips (~300 miles) where there isn't much additional cost- those are the ones more impacted. When we lived in Richmond, we liked to head to Shenandoah. You had to pay $20 a year for unlimited trips to the park itself. However, if suddenly the gas cost (100 miles each way, roughly) went from $12 to $20 ($3 per gal to $5 per gal), that starts being a decent percentage gain. At that point, maybe you say "Ok, lets stay in town and hit the botanical gardens or zoo instead". You're still paying the same amount but it's going towards more local entertainment and ticket prices instead of gas.

I think the much bigger impact comes in on commute as you really cannot mitigate that cost by saying "I don't want to go in to work today because gas is high". If you live in a large city and commute 25 miles each way, that's then starting to add $2-$5 per day into your costs which, means you're talking $40-$100 per month. That's like paying an additional utility bill per month. If your margins are close, that's substantial.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-26-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #863
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We're finally catching up to most of you. 16-cents jump last week and a 20-cents jump this week, now sitting at $3.65. Analysts expect that we will not go over $4.00 due to an abundant supply of Canadian crude that Colorado has access to.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #864
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

$3.99
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #865
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

$3.89
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #866
JediKooter
Coordinator

Hey look at that, we dropped from 4.41 to 4.37.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #867
Rizon
Pro Starter

Ours dropped from 4.35 to 4.29 last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #868
JediKooter
Coordinator

Fucking East Bay...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #869
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Went up 6 cents to $4.15. Crazy
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #870
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I paid 3.97 this morning.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #871
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Crude seems to be cratering, yet we're still paying 3.59 at the cheapest stations. I dunno if this is what widespread price fixing looks like, but retail gas has never shown the "up like a rocket, down like a feather" adage more truer than now. I'd suspect we should see sub 3$ stuff within a week or two at least somewhere in the FOFC brotherhood.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #872
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm really looking forward to the days where 80-100 MPG's are the norm and the oil companies get absolutely fucked.

I agree with you Steve, there's absolutely no reason why when crude goes up by $10-15 bucks our prices go up 30% (just making up a number for an example), but when it drops by $10-15 bucks, we see a 15% reduction. Of course, they can really do whatever they want, since there's no regulation that I'm aware of. I don't think people would really make a legitimate effort to cut down their driving on a material level until gas hits $6 or so.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #873
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Crude seems to be cratering, yet we're still paying 3.59 at the cheapest stations. I dunno if this is what widespread price fixing looks like, but retail gas has never shown the "up like a rocket, down like a feather" adage more truer than now. I'd suspect we should see sub 3$ stuff within a week or two at least somewhere in the FOFC brotherhood.

I would kill for 3.59 a gallon. 4.39 at my local station.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #874
Rizon
Pro Starter

$4.23 next door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #875
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Just saw $2.99 gasoline....while I pumped 3.79 diesel.
despite same crude at 10% the refining....fuck demand driving prices high.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #876
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

$4.40 for 87, I believe.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #877
Ksyrup

I saw mid 3.40s this morning, I think.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #878
JediKooter
Coordinator

I think I saw 4.15 this morning.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #879
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Buying gift cards from Kroger when I know I'm going to get something somewhere and getting X4 fuel points. I'm getting .40 to .60 a gallon off a fill up. Love me some Kroger.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #880
Ksyrup

Yep. Between gift cards and prescriptions, I got $.80 off about a month ago. I think I paid $2.89 for mid grade.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #881
SackAttack
Head Coach

3.69 down the street.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #882
MacroGuru
Coordinator

3.88 the last time I gassed up. I think it was Tuesday.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #883
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

$1.259 a litre so about $4.77 a gallon up here...
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #884
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
$1.259 a litre so about $4.77 a gallon up here...

How much do you pay for sunlight up there?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #885
Thomkal
Head Coach

Y'all need to come fill up in Myrtle Beach. Apparently South Carolina has the lowest gas prices in the nation, and the lowest I saw today was $3.12.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #886
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Saw it was 3.59 at the gas station by my house yesterday.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #887
Grover
Pro Starter

Paid $3.58 on Monday

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #888
tarcone
Coordinator

3.39 in my neighborhood.
Speaking of sun light. I'm in the process of getting solar panels on my house. It will cover about 95% of electric. Free instAllation. Lease for 20 years at $468 a year. After 6 years we can buy them for a couple thousand. We are looking at about a $700 savings per year. That will cover the insane gas price hikes. 
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #889
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
3.39 in my neighborhood.
Speaking of sun light. I'm in the process of getting solar panels on my house. It will cover about 95% of electric. Free instAllation. Lease for 20 years at $468 a year. After 6 years we can buy them for a couple thousand. We are looking at about a $700 savings per year. That will cover the insane gas price hikes. 

sunrun?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #890
tarcone
Coordinator

Sunvest
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #891
Pyser
Pro Rookie

paid $4.35 today in santa monica
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #892
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
3.39 in my neighborhood.

Very interested in getting solar panels. If it's reasonable, may be doable.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #893
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We'll see what the opening of one of the biggest refineries in the world does to prices.

Nation's biggest refinery goes on line
Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #894
Ksyrup

I actually saw $3.35 on the way home, but most were around $3.45.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #895
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's funny, we were among the last/slowest to go up, now we are among the slowest to go back down. Our peak, as expected, reached 3.91, now we are 3.69.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #896
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
It's funny, we were among the last/slowest to go up, now we are among the slowest to go back down. Our peak, as expected, reached 3.91, now we are 3.69.

I think part of that is there is a different formulation for gas at higher altitudes. It is generally lower octane than gas elsewhere.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #897
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
We'll see what the opening of one of the biggest refineries in the world does to prices.

Nation's biggest refinery goes on line

Clearly, prices should rise because they have to pay for building that refinery and the extra payroll expense of 300 jobs.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #898
JediKooter
Coordinator

4.13 at the Arco.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #899
Desnudo
Coordinator

3.26 at costco
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #900
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow....just passed a station in Ohio at 3.89. Supposedly there are some Midwest refinery issues.