Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #1001
bhlloy
Coordinator

The English national soccer team. Self destructing since 1966.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #1002
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
I've been having a lot of fun hammering my co-worker about the fact that he's about to lose his manager. He's a Spurs supporter.

LOL, I just got an email from a friend asking me if I would be sending in my resume when Redknap leaves.

I'm really not that worried if he leaves, since he would most likely still finish out this season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there only one friendly for England between now and the end of May?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #1003
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The English FA is a complete joke.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #1004
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
"The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager. This follows a meeting involving FA chairman David Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne and Fabio Capello at Wembley Stadium. The discussions focused on the FA board's decision to remove the England team captaincy from John Terry, and Fabio Capello's response through an Italian broadcast interview. In a meeting for over an hour, Fabio's resignation was accepted and he will leave the post of England manager with immediate effect."

Really? Who would have thought an Italian would leave a sinking ship?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #1005
miami_fan
Coordinator

So.....ah....what happens if Stuart Pierce leads England to the Euro championships? Is 'arry out of a job?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #1006
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Really? Who would have thought an Italian would leave a sinking ship?

WINNER!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #1007
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's more of a random thought but could you imagine being Bob Bradley's famliy right now? Guy is supposed to coach the Egypt national team. Not really high on my list of soccer hotbeds right now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1008
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's more of a random thought but could you imagine being Bob Bradley's famliy right now? Guy is supposed to coach the Egypt national team. Not really high on my list of soccer hotbeds right now.

id be much more concerned with getting outta that rat hole alive
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1009
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So.....ah....what happens if Stuart Pierce leads England to the Euro championships?

I don't think anyone needs to worry about that.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #1010
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was fun. I enjoyed Rafael winning all those aerial duels with Carroll. United aren't creating that many chances but they're scoring plenty and winning most of the time at least.

Suarez might be close to passing Rafael Marquez as my least favorite player in the sport. He's a damn good player but such an awful little prick.

I loved Evra's reaction at the end. It must feel good for him after all that happened with the racial abuse, the booing, and then being at fault for Kuyt's goal in the FA Cup a few weeks ago.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #1011
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Suarez might be close to passing Rafael Marquez as my least favorite player in the sport. He's a damn good player but such an awful little prick.

I loved Evra's reaction at the end. It must feel good for him after all that happened with the racial abuse, the booing, and then being at fault for Kuyt's goal in the FA Cup a few weeks ago.

FWIW, I understand where Suarez is coming from. Evra has always been a little shit and I would not shake hands with him if I thought that I had been hard done by.

Having said that, it means that this story is going to rumble on and on and on.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #1012
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Evra has always been a little shit

Yep, and the fact that so many people are 100% behind him is pretty telling. Liverpool are easily my least favorite team right now.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #1013
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

While I'm a big fan of ManU, I much rather had seen Evra a little less demonstrative after the game. Especially right in front of Suarez. Instead... maybe he should start focusing on his poor form in the past few games. A good win for the team though!
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #1014
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Not saying it's all due to Donovan, but if I'm an Everton fan, I'm currently making plans to take Donovan hostage and not let him back to the USA when his loan is up.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 02-11-2012 at 11:26 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #1015
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
While I'm a big fan of ManU, I much rather had seen Evra a little less demonstrative after the game. Especially right in front of Suarez. Instead... maybe he should start focusing on his poor form in the past few games. A good win for the team though!

im looking forward to hearing about what happened in the tunnel at halftime.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #1016
TroyF
Coordinator

Evra is probably one of my top 5 least players in all of sport. He's pure garbage and I would hate to have to cheer for the scumbag. And he's clearly the better guy in all of this.

I was actually hoping ManU would win today and even cheered Rooney. That happens, oh, how about never?

Suarez needs to get a grip.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #1017
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

And we are currently are seeing the fallacy of "Newcastle, serious contenders for the Champions League"
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #1018
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Newcastle must think this match was called off due to a frozen pitch, because they are certainly frozen on the pitch. 4-0 35 minutes in.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #1019
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Not saying it's all due to Donovan, but if I'm an Everton fan, I'm currently making plans to take Donovan hostage and not let him back to the USA when his loan is up.

2-3-2 since he joined. Does not compute.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #1020
MIJB#19
Coordinator

One would think Suarez would get smarter when aging, but by the sound of things, he's not learning enough from his mistakes of the past. Bummer...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #1021
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
One would think Suarez would get smarter when aging, but by the sound of things, he's not learning enough from his mistakes of the past. Bummer...

Maybe he'll get the chance to continue his education soon in another country.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #1022
TroyF
Coordinator

I really love idiot journalists. Look at this quote from today's Arsenal game in an article from Soccernet:

Sunderland forged ahead when Per Mertesacker got himself in a tangle and tripped over his own feet, which let James McClean through on goal to fire past Wojciech Szczesny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I guess you could say he tripped over his two feet. Or you might say he blew out his Achilles, ankle or knee, fell to the ground and was then stretchered off the field with a horrific injury.

Yeah, those two things mean the same thing. ugh. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #1023
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

This summer could be really interesting. I really hope Chelsea finish out of the Top 4.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #1024
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
2-3-2 since he joined. Does not compute.

These are the results since he joined Everton
Premier - H - Chelsea 2:0 (W)
Premier - A - Wigan 1:1 (D)
Premier - H - Man City 1-0 (W)
FA Cup - H - Fulham 2-1 (W)
Premier - H - Blackburn 1-1 (D)
Premier - A - Aston Villa 1-1 (D)
Premier - A - Tottenham 0-2 (L)
FA Cup - H - Tamworth 2-0 (W)
Premier - H - Bolton 2-1 (L)

Now in the Premiership you're right its 2-3-2 (however also 4-3-2 overall), however thats not at all the full story imho, the month before in the Premiership they'd gone 2-2-2 which could be used to imply that there was no change in form at all.

HOWEVER if you look at the teams played in the results posted above they've beaten Chelsea (Title contenders), Man City (Title contenders) and only lost to Spurs (Title Contenders) and Bolton ... they have arguably dropped points in the draws, especially against Blackburn however Everton are not a team who are reknowned for being high scoring and as such will always at times find it hard to get the win, they instead aim to be 'hard to beat' and grind out results - something they generally do very well.

As such I'd contend that he's been a useful signing and has definitely helped add something to the team ... especially if you consider prior to him joining them this season they had yet to pick up even a point against a one of the normal top 5 sides (ie. Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City) ... yet recently they've beaten two of them.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #1025
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm not saying he's not a useful signing, but saying that Everton should kidnap him is a bit dramatic. In other news, Louis Saha is the greatest player in the world and Harry Redknapp is a fucking wizard for signing him up.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 02-11-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #1026
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
I'm not saying he's not a useful signing, but saying that Everton should kidnap him is a bit dramatic. In other news, Louis Saha is the greatest player in the world and Harry Redknapp is a fucking wizard for signing him up.

Fair enough - I was just taking the kidnap him to be a colorful way of saying he's been useful and it'd have been nice if the stay could be made permanent ...

PS - If 'arry was a wizard he'd be in Gryffindor for sure

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-11-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #1027
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In the time frame since Donovan joined Everton, he leads the EPL in assists. So eah, I think you need to give the old computational thing a few good hard whacks.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1028
Easy Mac

It's a shame Dempsey didn't get credit for a goal today. That was a fucking lightning bolt
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #1029
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In serie a, Inter get beat AT HOME by Novara.. wow..
Old 02-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #1030
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
In serie a, Inter get beat AT HOME by Novara.. wow..

And Udinese are currently leading Milan too.

Juventus game postponed (again) due to snow. Ugh.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #1031
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Zambia beats Ivory Coast 8-7 on penalties completing their crazy run to the African Nations Cup.

VIDEO: Zambia Proves Why Sports Are Better Than Anything Else, Always - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #1032
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Zambia beats Ivory Coast 8-7 on penalties completing their crazy run to the African Nations Cup.

Zambia's Joseph Musonda was taken off injured after 10 minutes, had to be led from the field in tears. At the final whistle the Zambia coach picked him up and carried him from the bench to the rest of the players so he could join in the celebrations.

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #1033
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like I jinxed Inter. They have dropped 3 of their last 4. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Moratti channels his inner Steinbrenner again, to drop Ranieri and bring on Capello.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #1034
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Zambia's Joseph Musonda was taken off injured after 10 minutes, had to be led from the field in tears. At the final whistle the Zambia coach picked him up and carried him from the bench to the rest of the players so he could join in the celebrations.

Very cool!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #1035
AlexB
Pro Starter

Is this the bravest/best/most insane bit of defending ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtudM...e_gdata_player

Last edited by AlexB : 02-17-2012 at 04:10 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #1036
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you listen verrrry carefully, you may hear Inter's owners arm the ejection seat under Claudio Ranieri, as Inter lose again, 3-0 against Bologna, giving Inter 10 losses on the season, something that hasn't happened in 66 seasons (1945-46 last time)
Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #1037
Critch
lolzcat

...or it might be Chelsea getting theirs ready for Andre Villas-Boas. 60 minutes gone and 1-0 down at home to Birmingham City in the cup.

Edit - and they equalize about 30 seconds after I post.

Last edited by Critch : 02-18-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #1038
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

1-1 for Chelsea, but AVB better be careful and brace himself if he hears any click-click sounds.

Or that just might be Wenger after the Arse are down 1-0 to Sunderland with 20 to play.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #1039
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Make that 2-0 Sunderland, as the wunderkid accidentally bundles a shot off the post into his own net.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #1040
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

No, this is not The Onion.

Porto to complain to UEFA over Man City fan taunts against Hulk - ESPN Soccernet

Porto have vowed to lodge a complaint with UEFA after Manchester City supporters chanted "You're not incredible" at Hulk at Eastlands on Wednesday night.

City fans also labelled Hulk a "cheat" during City's 4-0 Europa League victory over Porto, which saw them through 6-1 on aggregate, and Porto communications director Rui Cerqueira feels the club should be punished.

He said: "We will take this to UEFA. It is improper behaviour. This behaviour may be normal in England but Porto want to contribute to eradicating it from sport."

UEFA said on Thursday morning that a complaint had yet to be lodged over the chants.

The move comes following the announcement that UEFA will charge Porto over alleged racial chanting against Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure during the first leg of the tie at the Estadio do Dragao.

Cerqueira had said Porto were "surprised" when City made the complaint and claimed the supposed monkey chants were actually fans of both teams chanting "Hulk, Hulk, Hulk" and "Kun, Kun, Kun" in support of their players.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #1041
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Dola

Hulk might be the biggest baby in soccer. I've never seen a guy yap so much. For someone that is built so strong he rarely stays on his feet. I would welcome his addition to Chelsea anyday.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #1042
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A very fortunate point for Juventus today.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #1043
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Ryan Giggs, on his 900th appearance for Man Yoo (!!!!) scores the stoppage time winner. I have a feeling that we'll eventually find out that Giggs is a Terminator robot, sent back in time to assist Fergie :P

Arsenal are not quite dead yet, coming back from 2-0 down to crush Tottenham 5-2.

And Cardiff have taken a shock 1-0 lead in the League Cup Final... can they hold on for 65+ minutes?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #1044
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can't even watch this....
Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #1045
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Liverpool equalize. Half an hour to play. Game on!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #1046
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well..... ninety minutes.. no winner. Let's See what the next thirty bring
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #1047
bhlloy
Coordinator

Miller should have won it for us
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1048
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cardiff no strangers to extra tine. This is the FIFTH time they have played extra tine in the league cup this season
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1049
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kuyt the final sub for Liverpool
Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #1050
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have no idea why Mackay hasn't used our subs. Gestede and Miller are done