sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #1502
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's more like it, Sov
Old 05-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #1503
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

another random thought: After that, I think the price of the next set of media rights (from 2013-2016) just jumped about 10%
Old 05-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #1504
Critch
lolzcat

Happy for the long suffering City fans, people even older than me (and I'm pretty old) who had never seen their team win the league. The kind that remember the bad days before City got the money.

edit - Also happy that Liverpool is blue once more, as it should be

Last edited by Critch : 05-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1505
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just a random thought. Ian Darke has been with ESPn for less then two full years. In that time, he's called:

A) Landon Donovan's stoppage time goal against Algeria that sent the US to the knockout rounds of the World Cup
B) Abby Wambach's 119th minute tying goal against Brazil and the resulting penalty Shootout.
C) Manchester City scoring twice in stoppage time to win the EPL title.

This obviously means that Ian Darke is the new Gus Johnson.

It's just as obvious he's got the script and knows where to be for maximum drama.

Great call!
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #1506
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What a finish. Wow.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #1507
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just a random thought. Ian Darke has been with ESPn for less then two full years. In that time, he's called:

A) Landon Donovan's stoppage time goal against Algeria that sent the US to the knockout rounds of the World Cup
B) Abby Wambach's 119th minute tying goal against Brazil and the resulting penalty Shootout.
C) Manchester City scoring twice in stoppage time to win the EPL title.

This obviously means that Ian Darke is the new Gus Johnson.

It's just as obvious he's got the script and knows where to be for maximum drama.

I would love for him to be able to call every single sporting event I watch.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #1508
Easy Mac

Tried to explain what happened to te wife. I equates it to watching the Braves blow it last year against the Cards.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #1509
Easy Mac

In non-EPL news, Adu just got sent off for diving, when it looked like there was at least some contact
Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #1510
Easy Mac

City had 44 shots
Old 05-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #1511
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #1512
Grover
Pro Starter

And to nobody's surprise, Joey Barton is still a major douchebag.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #1513
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
And to nobody's surprise, Joey Barton is still a major douchebag.

To bring the season full circle, anyone think Gervinho and Arsene Wenger had a good laugh over Barton's red card?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #1514
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Someone finally posted a picture of Phil Jones' reaction at The Stadium of Light.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1515
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Best gif ever? Perhaps.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #1516
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

From around the world. The Arabic one is fricking crazy!

Sky Sports:

Fox Spain/South America

Sky Sports Saturday' Crew

ESPN USA:

Russia:

Poland:

Arabic:

Norwegian:

French:

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-13-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #1517
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It just goes to show that soccer can be exciting to people in any language when something amazing happens

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #1518
whomario
Pro Starter

another candidate for goal of the year, an absolutely amazing shot from before midfield :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG4q8b9MLZI (can´t embed)

Not just a slow speed lob, but a full on blast from 60 metres out. can´t even comprehend how one would even try that
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-14-2012 at 08:23 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #1519
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

"Everybody expected City to win, but they did it against 10 men for half an hour and with five extra minutes to help them" - SAF

Fucking retire already
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #1520
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just saw the arsenal goals from Sunday. The FA seriously needs to investigate Fulop's bank account. I don't know if I've ever seen a goalie try to lose a game that hard before
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #1521
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
"Everybody expected City to win, but they did it against 10 men for half an hour and with five extra minutes to help them" - SAF

Fucking retire already

Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #1522
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Class.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #1523
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's gonna be a fucking goldmine all summer long.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #1524
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Hitler would never root for a team as despicable as Manchester United.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #1525
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Rooney twatting during the African Cup of Nations.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM   #1526
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Tevez poster and sovereignstar's recent posts kind of sum up Manchester City as a club and a fanbase. They've won their first title in nearly half a century and it's still all about Manchester United. Blue bitters is such an apt term for them.

I'm already seeing it suggested that they'll dominate the league for a decade and it reminds me of what was said about Chelsea a few years ago when Mourinho was the manager and they were splashing the cash all over the place. They'd just won their second straight title and added two then world class players in Shevchenko and Ballack and were expected to stroll their way to three in a row and beyond. But we all know how that worked out.

89 points without the best centerback in the world, our only ball winner in midfield, and a slew of various other injuries. We'll be back.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-15-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #1527
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

89 points without the best centerback in the world, our only ball winner in midfield, and a slew of various other injuries. We'll be back.

Gotta sign a creative force in the midfield. Carrick/Scholes/Cleverley/Giggs just can't get it done.

I've got a bad feeling Hazard picks City over United.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #1528
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Just saw the arsenal goals from Sunday. The FA seriously needs to investigate Fulop's bank account. I don't know if I've ever seen a goalie try to lose a game that hard before

I'm really glad you said that, as a Spurs fan it sure looked suspicious but I thought maybe I was just seeing things. I’m only a little mad about it at this point, but if Chelsea pull the final out of their ass I’m going to be really pissed.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #1529
AlexB
Pro Starter

Bear in mind he used to be at Spurs for 3 or so years though. He was on loan at Leicester and looked good 99% of the time, but always looked capable of a howler.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #1530
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Gotta sign a creative force in the midfield. Carrick/Scholes/Cleverley/Giggs just can't get it done.

Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund is all but on the way, so that´ll very likely be adressed.
He has long been linked to the PL in general and ManU specifically, Alex Ferguson was there in person to watch him one last time at the Cup Final (less than 24 hours before the PL season finale !) and yesterday he let the club know that he won´t extend his contract and reportedly his manager is in Manchester allready to negotiate some basics.

Since his contract only goes to 2013, Dortmund allready said they´ll listen to offers. If it went to 2014 or 2015 there´s no way he´d be daaaamn expensive, the way it is i´m guessing it´ll be sth around 15 or 20 million.
Considering what ManU paid for Young (whos 4 years older and imo not even close to Kagawa) that would be a bargain for ManU but still a sum that Dortmund could live with.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-15-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #1531
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Bear in mind he used to be at Spurs for 3 or so years though. He was on loan at Leicester and looked good 99% of the time, but always looked capable of a howler.

I know; he hasn't played for virtualy the entire year and then in thrown on at the last minute when Foster hurts himself in warm ups. I've just never seen a keeper come out for a cross and punch the ball back towards his own net. If Bayern take care of business all is forgiven.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #1532
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, theres an occasional howler and then there's the first and third goals on Sunday with a dodgy very saveable second thrown in for good measure.

I've played goalie for 20 years, I've been watching for longer than that and I've never seen a goalie try to score on himself in such a blatant manner as the third goal.

And FTR not necessarily accusing Arsenal of anything here. There are a lot of people who make money off soccer results and league positions in games where one team doesnt have anything to play for
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #1533
cschex
High School Varsity

As an Arsenal fan, that was my first thought, especially after the 3rd goal. I have never seen any goalie at any level do something like that, even when watching kids play.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #1534
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Shinji Kagawa from Dortmund is all but on the way, so that´ll very likely be adressed.
He has long been linked to the PL in general and ManU specifically, Alex Ferguson was there in person to watch him one last time at the Cup Final (less than 24 hours before the PL season finale !) and yesterday he let the club know that he won´t extend his contract and reportedly his manager is in Manchester allready to negotiate some basics.

Since his contract only goes to 2013, Dortmund allready said they´ll listen to offers. If it went to 2014 or 2015 there´s no way he´d be daaaamn expensive, the way it is i´m guessing it´ll be sth around 15 or 20 million.
Considering what ManU paid for Young (whos 4 years older and imo not even close to Kagawa) that would be a bargain for ManU but still a sum that Dortmund could live with.

I read that this morning. I saw that Hummels and Lewandowski were also linked to United by Dortmund has pretty much said no chance in hell.

As far as comparing Young and Kagawa's price tag, my assumption is that Young costs more not because he is better, but because he is English. The over-inflation of prices on any English player is ridiculous. I suspect the 15-20 mil for Kagawa would go a lot further in Germany than it would in England in terms of bringing in quality replacements.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #1535
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
I read that this morning. I saw that Hummels and Lewandowski were also linked to United by Dortmund has pretty much said no chance in hell.

As far as comparing Young and Kagawa's price tag, my assumption is that Young costs more not because he is better, but because he is English. The over-inflation of prices on any English player is ridiculous. I suspect the 15-20 mil for Kagawa would go a lot further in Germany than it would in England in terms of bringing in quality replacements.

Hummels and Gotze are only linked in the "well, let´s see who the best players/brightest talents are and report that ManU will go after them, too" (although i´m pretty sure if Dortmund ever said "Give us 25 mio for either" then literally every single club that could afford it would come calling. They are what you call hot commodities i guess )

Yeah, you are right, young german players also cost a little more as they are simply more apeasing to the fan base (it´s prestigious to have a NT candidate nowadays). But prices in England are much higher, period, just developed that way with all the money going around (sometimes just imaginary money, but hey ).

Dortmund paid 350K for Kagawa btw (i don´t think they paid more than 5 mio for any player on the roster with many coming for much less or even free. Obviously they broke that trend by getting Reus for 17 mio Euros)

They also caught a break as Barrios nets them 10 mio Euros despite basically not playing all season (he´s going to freaking China ...), so they aren´t desperate. If they get lowballed i could actually see Kagawa simply playing out his contract, the way he´s conducted himself i don´t see him playing half-assed in that time either.

Last edited by whomario : 05-15-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #1536
whomario
Pro Starter

dramatic scenes in the relegation game for the last Bundesliga spot between Hertha Berlin and Düsseldorf. After a 2:1 in Berlin it´s 2:2 in Düsseldorf and aftet Berlin went down 1:2 the Berlin fans thrw dozens of fireworks onto the field, resulting in the game nearly broken off, then resulted in 7 minutes of extra time and after 5 minutes of extra time the Dusseldorf fans stormed the pitch, risking their teams promotion with that.
All players got basically evacuated and fled to the locker rooms, now 20 minutes later the pitch is cleared and Dusseldorf players are back. No sign of the Berlin players yet and i understand them. Just imagine if they miraculously score a goal (which would keep them in the Bundesliga), no telling if they´d get off unharmed if fans of Dusseldorf rush to get them or sth ...

Fucking Idiots on both sides

Last edited by whomario : 05-15-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #1537
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I read somewhere that Hazard was quoted saying something like he'll be moving to Manchester and wearing blue.

Kagawa kicked ass in the cup final, that was fun to watch. whomario, can he play in a midfield two or he is more of a guy that's much better behind a striker?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #1538
Critch
lolzcat

Single Wolves fan takes on a Wigan pitch invasion on his own, and runs most of them off.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1539
whomario
Pro Starter

@ Big Fo : What do you mean by "midfield 2" ? More in the centre with another player ?
Bascially he played in the No10 role almost every game for Dortmund, so i really couldn´t say how he looks in other positions. I suppose he lacks physichal ability for a deeper role but could do equally well as a winger, but that´s really just guesswork.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #1540
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
@ Big Fo : What do you mean by "midfield 2" ? More in the centre with another player ?
Bascially he played in the No10 role almost every game for Dortmund, so i really couldn´t say how he looks in other positions. I suppose he lacks physichal ability for a deeper role but could do equally well as a winger, but that´s really just guesswork.

Yeah, like as the more attacking of the two central midfielders in a 4-4-2.

If he signs and the intention is to use him as more of a No10, I guess Rooney would be pushed further up and Welbeck/Chicharito would be on the bench more often.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #1541
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Further evidence that SAF has lost the plot.

Quote:
Now United boss Ferguson has called on the Premier League to ensure that final day matches finish at the same time in future.

"It's something I think the Premier League should look at because no team should be finishing after the other team," said Ferguson.

Starting all the last day matches at the same time isn't enough? I guess all matches must've ended at the same time previously because I've never heard him complain about it before. It's anyone's guess as to what he thinks would even make that a possibility going forward.

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson says Premier League should have ensured Manchester City's game finished at same time as theirs - Mirror Online

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #1542
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
The Tevez poster and sovereignstar's recent posts kind of sum up Manchester City as a club and a fanbase. They've won their first title in nearly half a century and it's still all about Manchester United. Blue bitters is such an apt term for them.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #1543
AlexB
Pro Starter

Publications generally to completely ignore over here until verified by another source not on this list include:
The Mirror
The Mail
The Star
TeamTalk
Football 365 (which just duplicates stories from the elsewhere)

I'd take that with a large pinch of salt for now
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #1544
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
I read somewhere that Hazard was quoted saying something like he'll be moving to Manchester and wearing blue.

That was a bullshit article, but it does look like he's nailed on to sign for City though. Tottenham can't match his wages and why play for the second-best team in Manchester. Mercenary he'll be labeled. Just like Clichy and Nasri who only came to City for the money. They could have easily stayed and Arsenal winning all that silverware.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #1545
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Publications generally to completely ignore over here until verified by another source not on this list include:
The Mirror
The Mail
The Star
TeamTalk
Football 365 (which just duplicates stories from the elsewhere)

I'd take that with a large pinch of salt for now

I read tons of soccer news and transfer stories and I can agree that there is a lot of made-up stuff out there. I don't know if anyone would have the balls to misquote or put words into his mouth though. And I'd expect to see a denial put out there if that ended up being the case.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #1546
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

edit: sig check

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #1547
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Game. Set. Match. Good luck next season Big Fo.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #1548
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Crap, I'm not done. I thought I had posted this earlier. Anyone see this gem?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #1549
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I kind of like the guy.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-15-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #1550
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

omgomgomgomgomg