Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #1751
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
We have to find two or three more real defenders. Our defense is beyond wretched.

I think we are okay with Johnson - Bocanegra - Goodson - Cherundolo.

But the depth behind them is a big concern.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #1752
Grover
Pro Starter

Just now watching today's game. What a terrible, terrible second yellow /red to end the first half against Poland. Wow.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #1753
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Eh, we'll be fine in qualifying. Bocanegra and Cherundolo are rock-solid. LB is still a bit of an issue, as is the other CB spot. Goodson, Onyewu, and the rest all have obvious limitations.

Maybe Ream or Cameron will get their shit together withing the next 2 years.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #1754
Easy Mac

The us is fine at left back as long as we can stay healthy. Johnson is the best we've had, he's just hurt a little. Castillo is better than what we trotted out last cycle, but he was hurt. Torres is not a left bak, but it was the best we had left, until he got hurt.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #1755
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post

Maybe Ream or Cameron will get their shit together withing the next 2 years.

Ehhhh.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #1756
Grover
Pro Starter

I am excited to see Netherlands v. Denmark. I am excited to see total football. I am excited to see Christian Eriksen for the Danes. Bendtner will do nothing, as always.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #1757
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Group of Death 2012 kicks off in 15 minutes!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #1758
Grover
Pro Starter

Holland in expected XI: Stekelenburg - vd Wiel, Heitinga, Vlaar, Willems - N de Jong, Van Bommel - Robben, Sneijder, Afellay - Van Persie

Denmark XI: S. Andersen, S Poulsen, Agger, Kjær, Jacobsen - Zimling, Kvist - Krohn-Dehli, Eriksen, Rommedahl - Bendtner

Old 06-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #1759
rowech
Pro Starter

I feel like Ballack is just showing up to get a paycheck and thinking "I can't believe I'm doing an American soccer show."
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #1760
whomario
Pro Starter

looking forward to this game, allways had a soft spot for the dutch style of play and Denmark adopted that very early as well (plus there´s allways been ties with quite a few danish players in the dutch league)

Hope Eriksen snaps out of his funk, won´t be easy for him as a young guy facing 2 of the more "robust" (to use the political correct version) defensaive midfielders in Van Bommel and De Jong.

as for germany, there´s a lot of rumours that Gomez and Hummels start instead of Mertesacker and Klose, both aparently not close enough to 100% to start yet ...
Hope those rumours are wrong at least about Klose ... Would surprise me if they have reliable sources, the german staff is notorious for not letting anything get public before they have to (75 minutes before the game the ref needs to be informed, that´s when they hand it to the media as well).

Could still be right, those 2 spots were the big question for a while now.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-09-2012 at 11:03 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1761
Grover
Pro Starter

Hell of a move and opening goal. Every defender had their back turned or was flat footed.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1762
cougarfreak
College Starter

That should open the game up a bit.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #1763
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Weird. The stadium is surprisingly undercrowded (10% of seats look empty), yet the homecrowd decided to split into two groups of people in turn chanting Russia and Ukraine.

Besides that, this is turning into one of those games where the dominant team fails to score and the dominated team creates 2 chances and score once. Get ready for Klaas Jan Huntelaar...
Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #1764
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post

Besides that, this is turning into one of those games where the dominant team fails to score and the dominated team creates 2 chances and score once. Get ready for Klaas Jan Huntelaar...

I wouldn´t say they dominated the game, they got their chances mainly due to inidividual class while as a team playing terribly conservative after the first 15 or so minutes. For the most part, the 4 offensive players (RVP, Sneijder, Affelay and Robben) are on their own as no one else bothers to go forward, with Van Bommel busy screaming at the others to stay back (seriously ?)

I think they need to get in a more creative midfielder for De Jong who was the ultimate "wait, he´s in the game ?" guy in the first half as he has no purpose defensively and doesn´t go forward at all.

What´s up with Van der Wiel not going forward at all ?

EDIT : Wow, Van Persie is not doing well with his touches up front, very surprising how much trouble he has controlling the ball in stride.

EDIT 2 : Now early in the 2nd half, that´s what i see as dominating a team
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-09-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #1766
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How big of an upset would this be?

9th beating 3rd?

Pretty big considering they haven't beaten Oranje since '67.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #1767
Grover
Pro Starter

I want someone from Germany to go full blooded through Ronaldo's thigh. Roy Keane style.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #1768
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Pretty big considering they haven't beaten Oranje since '67.
Actually, I still remember our Euro 1992 lose to the Danes.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1769
whomario
Pro Starter

Impressive how cool and collected Denmark played that in the end. Too bad that Bendtner is nothing but a space-waster, otherwise they could have actually run a decent counter attack or 2.

For the dutch it was a ton of 1:1 and the occasional (great) ball from Sneijder over and through the defense.

They still were the better team obviously and had more chances, but it´s not like the danish defense was some big obstacle.

Both danish Fullbacks were pretty good.

@ Grover : Don´t see it, only one halfway capable is Khedira and they aren´t exactly hostile at Real (Plus the german manager basically has eliminated tacklings from the gameplan, unless it´s Lahm who can tackle while basically still stay standing as he´s a ninja that way. A tactic i support btw)

But maybe Pepe can accidentily knock him out in a fit of rage, there´s allways that glimmer of hope

starting 11 for next game :

Germany : Neuer - Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm - Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Müller, Özil, Podolski - Gomez

Portugal :
Patricio - Pereira, Pepe, Alves, Coentrao - Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles, Ronaldo, Nani - Postiga.

Klose not fit for 90 minutes will likely come on as a sub later on (can play counter attack or come in as a heading threat when behind)

Happy for Hummels, hope he plays like he did at Dortmund lately. If he does, he´s near world class ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #1770
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I want someone from Germany to go full blooded through Ronaldo's thigh. Roy Keane style.
I would say that's a bad idea for Germany. Khalid Boulahrouz tried that in 2006, succesfully as Ronaldo left the match. Or not so succesfully, as it set the tone for the worst game in FIFA World Cup history, Portugal still won, as that's their type of game.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #1771
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Actually, I still remember our Euro 1992 lose to the Danes.

My bad, I thought I saw a 1967 stat on ESPN.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1772
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Disappointing opening game for us, but there's still hope. The last time we started a Euro tournament with a loss was back in 1988. Yup, we're still right on track!

'Fun' stat that you might see mentioned more often in 4 or 8 days, if we fial to survive the group phase: ever since the Euro championship went to a 16-team tournament, no vice-world champion has made it to the quarterfinals:
2010 Netherlands - to be determined...
2006 France - out in group stage in 2008
2002 Germany - out in group stage in 2004
1998 Brazil - did not participate, obviously
1994 Italy - out in group stage in 1996
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #1773
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
It was on penalties, making it go down as a draw in the record books. Claiming they haven't beaten us would be an overstatement.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #1774
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow Denmark. Netherlands just looked very lacking in punch for whatever reason.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #1775
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

C'mon Portugal, or at least CRonaldo/Nani.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #1776
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Impressive first game from Denmark. Netherlands behind the 8 ball now.

Rooting for Germany. Had to look up Boateng's late night tryst after the announcer mentioned it. Apparently being a rich football player doesn't buy you taste...wow.

Jerome Boateng caught in late-night hotel tryst with former Playboy model Gina-Lisa Lohfink | The Sun |Sport|Football|Euro 2012
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #1777
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Weird; a draw in this game would be the best for us, but at the same time I want Germany to destroy Portugal...
Old 06-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #1778
RainMaker
General Manager

Whatever happened to Stuart Holden? I thought a few years back he was supposed to be a vital part of the USMNT moving forward.

Also, why do they pick horrible venues for these qualifying matches? I was happy to see games being played in stadiums built for soccer in KC and Columbus coming up. But RJS is just a shithole and has to be horrible for soccer.

I know it didn't matter, but it always befuddles me how they kill their home advantage for a handful of games each qualifying cycle. Just doesn't seem like there is a valid reason for it when you have all these soccer specific stadiums in markets proven to bring a raucous crowd. If there isn't a qualifying match in Seattle and Portland this cycle, I'll be pissed.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1779
whomario
Pro Starter

Gomez has to be subbed out for Klose asap... The whole game is going static with a guy up front who only sprints in one direction (straight line towards the goal) and is never available for a 1-2 or sth like that.

also, those asshole fans should stop throwing things. Idiots ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #1780
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Whatever happened to Stuart Holden? I thought a few years back he was supposed to be a vital part of the USMNT moving forward.

Holden broke his leg 2 years ago, and just when he got back to health he injured himself again that took him out last year. hes now healthy again but completly unfit and hasnt played much over the last 2 seasons. if he can get back to form he was on before the injuries he will be a good player and could get onto the WC squad (if we qualify)
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #1781
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Also, why do they pick horrible venues for these qualifying matches? I was happy to see games being played in stadiums built for soccer in KC and Columbus coming up. But RJS is just a shithole and has to be horrible for soccer.

I know it didn't matter, but it always befuddles me how they kill their home advantage for a handful of games each qualifying cycle. Just doesn't seem like there is a valid reason for it when you have all these soccer specific stadiums in markets proven to bring a raucous crowd. If there isn't a qualifying match in Seattle and Portland this cycle, I'll be pissed.

Holden missed half a year after suffering a knew injury late in the 2010-11 season. He rehabbed, and then after his first game back the doctors found out he had cartilage damage and he missed the rest of the 2011-12 season. If he were healthy he'd be in the starting XI for sure.

Our federation likes money. They make more money selling 40k-50k tickets in a 75k capacity NFL stadium than they would if they sold out a 22k soccer specific stadium. Of course, playing such a small team last night meant only 24k fans showed up anyway so this would have been the best game to use one of the smaller venues for.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #1782
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Typical Gomez goal.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #1783
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Typical Gomez goal.

would have been subbed out at the next dead ball, too (Klose was allready at the 4th official)

Klose should still be the starter if he´s healthy against the Netherlands.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #1784
rowech
Pro Starter

I was debating this with a friend of mine. In your opinion, what was the best game the US team ever played? I contend it was the 2002 World Cup versus Germany. (I know they lost)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #1785
whomario
Pro Starter

One of those games you need to win to go far, ugly but 3 points nonetheless. Now we can go to the pretty part of things the next games i hope There definitely will be more space against the dutch who need to go for 3 points.

A lot of luck in the end. Best man on the pitch IMO was Hummels, who fought like a madman and was allways in the right place. Khedira also very engaged and dynamic, imo. Boateng was surprisingly good as well.
Lahm with possibly his worst game for the NT, that was awfull ...

But as bad as the german team played, Portugal didn´t even try to play until they were down. Serves them right.

Last edited by whomario : 06-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #1786
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think Ireland-Croatia tomorrow could be the best game of the opening round. I think both of those teams need 3 points from that game to get out of the group stage. So in theory they'll both eventually have to go for it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #1787
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How big of an upset would this be?

It's pretty big, but the great thing about this tournament (at its current 16 team size) is that all of these teams are damn solid. They're all capable of beating ech other.

Still, that will likely go down as the biggest result of the group stage, especially if Denmark advances.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #1788
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Btw, Germany - Holland is a hell of a rivalry game, as MIJB19 can tell us. Suffice to say its as bad as Scotland-England or Brazil-Argentina.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #1789
whomario
Pro Starter

Argentina just beat Brazil 4:3 in a friendly btw, Messi with 3 goals.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #1790
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Btw, Germany - Holland is a hell of a rivalry game, as MIJB19 can tell us. Suffice to say its as bad as Scotland-England or Brazil-Argentina.
Historically it's a rivalry, but the current teams love to play the game too much to care and I suspect the players respect each other for their similar playing style. Yes, we're born and raised to dislike Germany. I suspect the teams will try to 'battle' with goals. I kinda doubt it will go that route, but a 3-3 score would do justice to the state of the respective teams.

Looking at our team, we're actually more eager to knock out Portugal. They knocked us out in 2002, 2004 and 2006...
Old 06-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #1791
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post

England v Scotland is more of a one way rivalry.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #1792
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
England v Scotland is more of a one way rivalry.

Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #1793
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I was debating this with a friend of mine. In your opinion, what was the best game the US team ever played? I contend it was the 2002 World Cup versus Germany. (I know they lost)

Confederations Cup semis vs Spain?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #1794
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Fwiw, I suspect every medium in the world is going to make that claim, even dutch media are making this claim. Uh-huh, let's pretend 1992 never happened. Even better, let's pretend we also didn't lose at Euro1996, WC1998 and Euro2000. We simply drew and decided to go home voluntarily.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #1795
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I looked at previous Euro championships first group phase matches for the 16-team tournaments (1996, 2000, 2004, 2008). Of those 64 teams, all 4 eventual champions won their opening match. Of the 4 losing finalists, 2 won their opening match and 2 lost their opening match. Those 2 losers lost to the eventual champions. 16 of 22 teams that won their opening match reached the quarter finals, and of those 6 non-advancing teams, only 1 beat a team that eventually got past the group phase. 14 of 22 losing teams didn't reach the quarterfinals. 12 of 20 teams drawing their first match didn't reach the quarterfinals, 0 of 20 drawing teams reached the final.

I realize it's a small sample size, but it doesn't seem fair to include pre-1996 tournaments, between 1980 and 1992 they were 8-team format with the 2 points for a win system, making the effects of a draw different. Fwiw, in those years one losing team still managed to win the tournament (1988 Netherlands). Before 1980 the 'finals' consisted of a knockout tournament with just 4 teams.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #1796
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought the Netherlands got a lot of good looks today. Even though they lost, I wouldn't panic yet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #1797
Icy
Pro Starter

One of the problems NL faced imho is the same than Munich did, Robben is a top player but so selfish, you can saw how his team mates waved their arms out of frustration everytime
he shoot from outside the area after a few dribbles.

Today Spain vs Italy.

Our defense is going to miss a lot Pujol determination and leadership. Our central defenders will be Pique, that had a so so season wit the off the filed stuff with Shakira and S.Ramos that has played that position this year in Madrid with a great result.

With Ramos playing central instead of ring wingback we lose an attack asset, as Arbeloa is quite defensively. On the other hand, the new young left wing back Jordi Alba is more of an attacking player than a wingback that will compensate it.

We have an incredible midfield in the starting 11, Busquets, Xavi Alsonso, Iniesta, Xavi and Silva, but also in the bench we have Mata and Fabregas in the middle, Pedrito and Navas in the wings.

What has me worried is the forward spot without Villa. It seems that Torres will start, and as always with him it's a total gamble. His moral is so high right now, that can help him, he is also not so tired compared with others. It could be either a top eurocup to make him a hero like in the past one, or he will miss some clear cut chances that will cost us the title chances.

Negredo is a good striker, but.., not elite, Soldado should have taken his spot in the national team, he is more of a killer and had a great season.

Llorente is so tired and has suffered some injuries so he is not ready to play a full game. He will just play if we need a goal and the teams are all defending inside his area, as he is strong and a good aerial threat.

Let's see.

Last edited by Icy : 06-10-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #1798
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I put down Spain for a 3-0 win, but at the same time won't be shocked if they undergo the same faith as Oranje. Especially the Barcelona bunch are familiar with how to lose in that fashion, but at least they have Torres on their own side now.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #1799
Grover
Pro Starter

I think Nando's confidence is going to boon his form for these Euros. He needs to prove he can handle being the top choice at Chelsea.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #1800
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Fun game last night as the NASL cellar-dweller Carolina beat 2nd-place team Minnesota 5-1. After watching them fail to finish chance after chance after Chivas in a tight 2-1 loss in the US Open cup, it was fun to watch them put almost everything in the net last night. Plus my daughter got a T-shirt in one of the giveaways, so she was happy...