Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #351
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Flipping through the channels today, I passed through FS1 and saw Colin Cowherd doing his radio show. This is the first time I heard or saw his radio show since he left ESPN. It is also the first time I noticed Cowherd at all since the opening of the college football season last year when I saw him on the pre game show. To be fair, I was not a big Herd fan when he was at ESPN, so I would not go out of my way to find him like say Bill Simmons or Dan Patrick among ESPN alums. Just a bit surprised at my "Oh yeah, he does do a radio show" reaction.

Yea Cowherd moved to LA and now does a morning show for one of LA's biggest sports channels. He follows former direct competitor DP here. I think his show is also played in other markets (like DP), but probably nowhere near as numerous.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:57 AM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Add Chris Broussard to the list...word is he's leaving for FS1.

According to Sauces
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #353
Logan
Head Coach

HBO is cancelling Simmons' show. One more is airing Wednesday.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #354
Suicane75
Coordinator

I feel like a dick for smiling when I read that. But not too much.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #355
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HBO is cancelling Simmons' show. One more is airing Wednesday.

Not really surprised. It was kind of a snooze fest without anything all that interesting going on.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I feel like a dick for smiling when I read that. But not too much.

I outright smirked, so I figure you're good.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #357
Logan
Head Coach

I straight up laughed and have no regrets over it.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #358
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*shrugs* he doesn't play well with the camera. He plays well with the instant take, like you're talking to your "Boston-sports-loving pop-culture-obsessed friend on the next barstool over".. (and that got watered down a bit when he made it so big)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #359
Suicane75
Coordinator

Or he's a fairly shitty journalist who's style was endearing to the right group at the right time and he rode that popularity with the help of a cavalcade of people more insightful and interesting than himself.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #360
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I straight up laughed and have no regrets over it.

Ditto.

Maybe ESPN was not the #1 problem in that relationship.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #361
miami_fan
Coordinator

ANNOUNCER BEEF!

Cris Collinsworth Laid Into Bill Simmons On Twitter | The Big Lead
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #362
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What is funny there is I think Simmons is actually right.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-14-2016 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #363
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Simmons actually seems like a pretty big Collinsworth fan. And that tweet didn't seem that offensive at all. Surprised that Collinsworth felt the need to respond like that. Maybe it's just a "no publicity is bad publicity" sort of thing.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:58 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I sure hope ESPN gets over their fascination with politics & controversy sooner than later. Their web page front/headlines has more drama than sports for the past several weeks and it's really getting past tedious.

Several major sports are already barely interesting enough for me to even follow by checking scores, the last thing that behooves me OR the sports OR ESPN is for me to find even more characters that I find utterly unlikable.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #365
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, these days it's pretty easy to check scores on an app, so they are likely doing what they can to get page clicks to make money.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 AM   #366
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, these days it's pretty easy to check scores on an app, so they are likely doing what they can to get page clicks to make money.

Not from my #$%@#$ desktop while working it ain't.

(not bitching at you, just at them)

edit to add: Plus, I'm not looking for scores by & large at 2pm on a Tuesday. But I'd like to able to check the headlines (the modern equivalent of the old morning sports page) without being forced to deal with the urge to strangle people for something that has no bearing on actual sports.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-16-2016 at 06:23 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #367
cuervo72
Head Coach

I have to say - I haven't checked ESPN for any headlines for a few years now. Typically I'll go there on Saturday/Sunday to get caught up on football scores, and that's about it.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #368
molson
General Manager

I think I'll be the last person in the world willing to admit I like both ESPN.com and Bill Simmons. Not the Ringer though. That place is a little much. But I still find the blog-style format of the individual ESPN.com sports section the easiest way to keep up with things casually in the shortest amount of time. I've never adapted to twitter, I don't want to hear about all things all day, I want to mostly have my little 10-minute sports breaks and 10-minute news breaks.

Last edited by molson : 11-16-2016 at 09:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #369
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not from my #$%@#$ desktop while working it ain't.

(not bitching at you, just at them)

edit to add: Plus, I'm not looking for scores by & large at 2pm on a Tuesday. But I'd like to able to check the headlines (the modern equivalent of the old morning sports page) without being forced to deal with the urge to strangle people for something that has no bearing on actual sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I have to say - I haven't checked ESPN for any headlines for a few years now. Typically I'll go there on Saturday/Sunday to get caught up on football scores, and that's about it.

I'm with cuervo. I go just to look for scores. I'm sure there are some folks who go for headlines, but I think that's a shrinking breed. I wonder if folks like you, Jon, are just too small for ESPN to cater to these days.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #370
RainMaker
General Manager

If anyone needs a good app, I highly recommend theScore. Easy to get scores/stats from games and their headlines are much more sports oriented.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #371
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
If anyone needs a good app, I highly recommend theScore. Easy to get scores/stats from games and their headlines are much more sports oriented.

+1
Old 11-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #372
Butter
Coordinator

+2. ESPN tends to freeze on my phone, theScore works without incident.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I'm with cuervo. I go just to look for scores. I'm sure there are some folks who go for headlines, but I think that's a shrinking breed. I wonder if folks like you, Jon, are just too small for ESPN to cater to these days.

It's certainly a possibility.

In which case I'll shake my fist at them.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #374
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think I'll be the last person in the world willing to admit I like both ESPN.com and Bill Simmons. Not the Ringer though. That place is a little much. But I still find the blog-style format of the individual ESPN.com sports section the easiest way to keep up with things casually in the shortest amount of time. I've never adapted to twitter, I don't want to hear about all things all day, I want to mostly have my little 10-minute sports breaks and 10-minute news breaks.

I am with you with ESPN and Simmons in general. There are just times when he gets a bit too sensitive for a guy who takes a lot of shots at others.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #375
Logan
Head Coach

Barstool Sports may be off the radar for many here but they seem to be exploding as a brand. This is following their launch of a daily 2 hour Sirius show this week:

PRESS – Comedy Central and Barstool Sports Greenlight The Barstool Rundown Live From Houston Nightly Telecast Week | Comedy Central Press
Old 01-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #376
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Flipping through the channels today, I passed through FS1 and saw Colin Cowherd doing his radio show. This is the first time I heard or saw his radio show since he left ESPN. It is also the first time I noticed Cowherd at all since the opening of the college football season last year when I saw him on the pre game show. To be fair, I was not a big Herd fan when he was at ESPN, so I would not go out of my way to find him like say Bill Simmons or Dan Patrick among ESPN alums. Just a bit surprised at my "Oh yeah, he does do a radio show" reaction.

Checked in on the Herd show. Rob Parker is on FS1 now. Who knew?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #377
cuervo72
Head Coach

Not me. Then again I don't know who Rob Parker is.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #378
Logan
Head Coach

Time to officially shut down Deadspin when they get worked by Ted Cruz and it forces their EIC into a Twitter meltdown.

Ted Cruz told to eat shit despite Grayson Allen joke

The Deadspin EIC Challenging Twitter Haters To Fights In The Octagon Is An Incredible Internet Moment - Barstool Sports
Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #379
Butter
Coordinator

I thought whoever was running the Ted Cruz account made a pretty funny joke... Deadspin would've been wise to just let it go.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Brent Musberger's final play by play duties will be Jan 31, UGA vs Kentucky basketball.

His best work is certainly behind him but his part in the groundbreaking NFL Today would have made him part of sports broadcasting history if he'd done nothing else.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:59 PM   #381
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Not me. Then again I don't know who Rob Parker is.

Really? Surprising since his firing came after comments involving your former starting QB.

Rob Parker fired by ESPN after RG3 comments | NFL | Sporting News
Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #382
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well they're not my team, I'm an Eagles fan. And while I try to listen to DC radio as I'm more or less in that market, I can't pick up 980 after dark, which means I can't really listen in the car during the winter.

And I pretty much never watch any of the ESPN shoutfests.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #383
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I thought whoever was running the Ted Cruz account made a pretty funny joke... Deadspin would've been wise to just let it go.

When Ted Cruz hands you your ass on social media, you are best to just let it die quietly.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #384
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Really? Surprising since his firing came after comments involving your former starting QB.

Rob Parker fired by ESPN after RG3 comments | NFL | Sporting News

Before going to ESPN Rob Parker worked for the Detroit News for 8 years. He got fired from that gig after asking then Lions head coach Rod Marinelli whether he wished his daughter had married "a better defensive coordinator." The Lions defensive coordinator was Rod Marinelli's son-in-law.

Rob Parker is, always has been, and likely always will be, an ass.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #385
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
And I pretty much never watch any of the ESPN shoutfests.

Does anybody watch any of these?

I mean, I don't mind PTI from time to time, but that's it. I find the rest of these shows completely unwatchable.

I am incredibly annoyed that the new Stephen A Smith and Max Whoever show is on ESPN at 11 am. That's when I go to the gym. I don't want to watch them when I on the treadmill, or whatever similar shit show is on FS1 at that time. And I don't have that many viewing options.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #386
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Before going to ESPN Rob Parker worked for the Detroit News for 8 years. He got fired from that gig after asking then Lions head coach Rod Marinelli whether he wished his daughter had married "a better defensive coordinator." The Lions defensive coordinator was Rod Marinelli's son-in-law.

Rob Parker is, always has been, and likely always will be, an ass.

I think that's a perfectly fine call out.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #387
miami_fan
Coordinator

The 30 Most Powerful Talents in Sports Media Today | The Big Lead

Perfect for this thread.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #388
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

The top three of that list... smdh.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #389
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Jim Rome not even being mentioned seems pretty laughable.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #390
nol
Banned

I was standing behind Bill Simmons in line to get concessions at a Clippers game last week. He was dressed like a 40-year-old guy trying to get into a club. I think California's changed him.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #391
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I was standing behind Bill Simmons in line to get concessions at a Clippers game last week. He was dressed like a 40-year-old guy trying to get into a club. I think California's changed him.

I've always given him credit for not pretending he isn't famous and that he does not enjoy being famous. His persona started with the whole I'm-just-a-common-fan-like-the-rest-of-you. And I can see that there would be a temptation to try and continue that persona even as he started hanging out with people like Tom Brady and Magic Johnson. Kind of a Jenny from the Block sort of thing.

But he didn't. He still has that highly autobiographical style, but now it's things like "Me and Tony Kornheiser were trying to decide whether to invite Jon Hamm or Mike Tyson to come to dinner with us last night." So he's going to dress like a California rich guy at the Clippers game. But, since he is a California rich guy, it all kind of makes sense.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 AM   #392
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shannon Sharpe and Skip Bayless have their own show, I see. If they would add Broussard and Adam Shefter to it, they could really call it the Shit Show.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #393
Butter
Coordinator

In unsurprising news:

Brent Musburger admits he once bet on a game he broadcasted
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #394
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post

He told that story on Pardon My Take a couple weeks ago.

edit: Damn it. I mean, "Pardon My Take had this two weeks ago".

Last edited by Logan : 03-23-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #395
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He told that story on Pardon My Take a couple weeks ago.

edit: Damn it. I mean, "Pardon My Take had this two weeks ago".

Sportsdigs had it two weeks before Pardon My Take.
Come on, you knew that was coming.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #396
miami_fan
Coordinator

40 Under 40: Sports Media Talents | The Big Lead
Old 09-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #397
JPhillips
General Manager

http://deadspin.com/report-radio-hos...-2m-1800675539

NY radio host and partner of Boomer Esiason arrested for multi-million dollar fake ticket scam.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #398
Logan
Head Coach

Some big local news:

WFAN’s Craig Carton arrested on federal charges, official says | Newsday
Old 09-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #399
Logan
Head Coach

Ha beat out.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #400
JPhillips
General Manager

I noticed he wasn't on this morning, but they didn't mention anything about this. Given this is the FBI and likely federal charges, he's pretty well fucked.