Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is there a point in keeping old video games?

I'm decluttering my house and came across all of my old PC games. Almost all of which I have no plans on ever playing again. Ive looked at ebay and I suppose I could piece them out at 5 bucks a pop, but I could sit on them for a few days or a few years. None of them seem that rare, other than some early 90s Mac games. Most of me says to just donate to goodwill, where they'd most likely be junked. With Steam, I just don't see the need to keep them anymore and I hadnt opened the box to look at them in over 5 years. What do the rest of you guys do with your CD copies?

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Only hard copies I have are old IBM NFL game which I just don't want to part with and Maximum Football, which I assume will be worth millions some day.

I'd say give em to goodwill, at least there's a chance someone will use them. If you can't be assed with that then just junk em.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #3
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, I still have all my old NES and SNES carts, as well as a bunch of PlayStation and Dreamcast discs. No idea why I'm holding onto them or what I'm going to do with them.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is one of my big weaknesses. I have literally every game I've ever bought. Especially attached to my SOM PC version 1.0 for Apple on 5.25 floppies. I need help. Please guys help me let some of these go!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:39 PM   #5
PilotMan
Head Coach

File

To be fair, it was my very first game, and I didn't even own a computer.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
frnk55
High School Varsity

Kinda like BB cards. What's the point in holding on to them anymore.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #7
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd sell em in a lump sum like a humble bundle.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

I still like BB cards from an aesthetic/design standpoint (which is another reason why I stopped collecting - the cards were getting uglier).

I started to wonder this regarding cartridges when I realized most of them could be emulated on something as simple as a Raspberry Pi. As for programs, I guess I really never had that many pre-Steam and post-C64. Mostly various versions of Civ. I found Civ III and IV in the basement not long ago. I don't see any reason to get rid of them, really. Alpha Centauri I have the "Laptop Collection" version with Alien Crossfire, and I'm not going to get rid of that.

I could probably throw out my City of Heroes boxes. They certainly won't do me any good at this point.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-22-2017 at 07:15 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #9
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I still like BB cards from an aesthetic/design standpoint (which is another reason why I stopped collecting - the cards were getting uglier).

I started to wonder this regarding cartridges when I realized most of them could be emulated on something as simple as a Raspberry Pi. As for programs, I guess I really never had that many pre-Steam and post-C64. Mostly various versions of Civ. I found Civ III and IV in the basement not long ago. I don't see any reason to get rid of them, really. Alpha Centauri I have the "Laptop Collection" version with Alien Crossfire, and I'm not going to get rid of that.

I could probably throw out my City of Heroes boxes. They certainly won't do me any good at this point.

You can never give up on the dream!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

I dunno, it's going on five years now. I still have game flashbacks though (other day I was eating dinner and all of a sudden a Crey lab map popped into my head).

Really with the updater the boxes were only good for applying codes anyway.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
Kinda like BB cards. What's the point in holding on to them anymore.

I've got 20,000 of those in the basement still too.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Yeah, I still have all my old NES and SNES carts, as well as a bunch of PlayStation and Dreamcast discs. No idea why I'm holding onto them or what I'm going to do with them.

I foresee those Dreamcast discs finding a home in Wisconsin if yer gon' evict 'em.

(Also, as I told Bug on FB this morning, console and PC games are different beasts in terms of 'keeping them' because it's much easier to play an old console game you're jonesing after than an old PC game.)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Nintendo stuff is likely always going to be playable but old PC games probably belong in the trash.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #14
molson
General Manager

There's a market for old console games. There are people who believe the emulator experience isn't the same as using the originals. There are even some rare old NES games worth a lot money.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2017 at 10:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I had the disks for Power Politics for a long time. That was a great game.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Found a Pacman Atari cart from 1981. Sadly Atari nostalgia sucks and everything was overproduced. I think it's worth $5 or less.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
Easy Mac

i just keep it around because I don't want to just toss it, but it would take more effort than I want to put in to sell it.

Hell, I even sometimes decide not to play games because I only have a finite amount of alone time and don't feel like spending 1/2 that time waiting on games to load.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #18
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I foresee those Dreamcast discs finding a home in Wisconsin if yer gon' evict 'em.

(Also, as I told Bug on FB this morning, console and PC games are different beasts in terms of 'keeping them' because it's much easier to play an old console game you're jonesing after than an old PC game.)

I don't even own a Dreamcast - if you want those, they're all yours. Send me your address.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't even own a Dreamcast - if you want those, they're all yours. Send me your address.

I'm having a brainfart on my box number and they're closed today. You'll have it in hand tomorrow, sir.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:16 AM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm having a brainfart on my box number and they're closed today. You'll have it in hand tomorrow, sir.

Shot you a text Monday afternoon, FYI.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #21
dave731
High School JV

Our internet went out the other day and I broke out my PS2 to serve as a DVD player for the kids in the living room. I still have Madden 07 and NCAA 07, and ESPN 2K5. I still have College Hoops 2K8 and NBA 2K8 for PS3. I still occasionally play CH2K8 but that is about it for my "old" games.
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:44 PM   #22
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

You can pry my copy of Football Pro '98 out of my cold dead hands
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote