230 - Alanis Morissette 9 12.68%
----- 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2017, 01:30 PM   #51
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I pretty much agree with everything here--except for calling Sublime a one hit wonder. They may not have hit your personal airwaves too much (I'm guessing), but several of their songs have been and continue to be regularly played on multiple alt rock stations wherever I have gone.

On top of your one hit (guessing that is "What I Got", Sublime's most well known song), they are particularly well known for "Santeria" and the "Date Rape" song. Several songs on their selftitled album (6 time platinum) are fsirly likely to be heard on any alt rock station in any city of some size. You have also likely heard their cover of the Toyes' "Smoke Two Joints" although maybe you didn't realize it is them.

I agree with you about Oingo and Dire and many of those others (I would go to a Boingo show over most other bands in any top 250 or top 600, including Sublime), but Sublime is considered to be one of the most influential punk-ska fusion bands to ever come along, and who knows how far they might have gone if Bradley Nowell hadn't passed away OD on heroin.

I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints and then I smoke two more...

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #52
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Oh That siblime. I think I confused them with fuel or whatever. Did they do a song called the wrong way or something like that?

Yeah I remember santeria...I ain't got no crystal ball. If I had a million dollars hey iid spend it all...

And what I got sure. I don't cry when my dog runs away.

Thank out for putting these songs back on my head. It's better than mark McGrath
Old 07-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #53
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

All that you're hearing is only the sound of the low spark of high heeled boyssssss-z
Old 07-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #54
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

In violent times

You shouldn't have to sell your soul

In back and white

We really really ought to know

We really have to

Shout
Shout
Let it all out
Old 07-23-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Sublime is not a one hot wonder. In addition to songs mentioned, Summertime got a lot of airplay. If the guy had not OD'd their follow up would have sold well on the rep of the last album. They have more hits and more recognizable songs than Joan Jett who is in the hall of fame off the success of one cover song.

Bzzt. You just did the same thing to Joan Jett that somebody else did to Sublime.

I Love Rock N'Roll, Crimson & Clover were both Top 10s, Do You Wanna Touch Me a Top 20. And that's not just on a genre subchart, that's airplay chart period. And I Hate Myself For Loving You is the most notable of four Top 20 rock hits on top of that.

And that doesn't count her role in The Runaways.

I'm not a huge fan of hers particularly, but her HOF status is well-deserved.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #56
BYU 14
Coordinator

We get the second biggest upset of the tournament to date in this round, as well as only the third time a matchup received votes from all who participated (The Police vs. Alanis Morrisette.

Two groups left to finish round 1 and I will post them both when I get back from morning cardio.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #57
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bzzt. You just did the same thing to Joan Jett that somebody else did to Sublime.

I Love Rock N'Roll, Crimson & Clover were both Top 10s, Do You Wanna Touch Me a Top 20. And that's not just on a genre subchart, that's airplay chart period. And I Hate Myself For Loving You is the most notable of four Top 20 rock hits on top of that.

And that doesn't count her role in The Runaways.

I'm not a huge fan of hers particularly, but her HOF status is well-deserved.

I don't think so, I did not call her a one hit wonder. I like JJ better than Sublime and am glad she is in the HOF. I know and own the songs listed. It is true though that she is in the HOF based on the I Love R&R cover and that she is a she. Most people can only name the one song.

Sublime just has more recognizable songs out there. I don't know maybe it is just opinion.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #58
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Three out of four of the top Joan Jett songs Jon mentioned are covers (and ones a Gary Glitter cover) for whatever that's worth. I too have some trouble respecting that.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
Most people can only name the one song.

If that's the case then those people have no business commenting on the R&R HOF period.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of her stuff -- it was bit simplistic for my taste -- but she's in the top five most influential female rock vocalists in history. If that isn't HOF worthy then you can take it up with the feminist lobby, I ain't fighting that battle