Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2017, 02:03 AM   #351
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
It's official: Markelle Fultz is a Sixers rookie.

Injured and taking a redshirt season?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 AM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh shit, lol, that's exactly what you meant.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ball will be fine.

I sure hope you're wrong about that.

If you're right then karma is pretty much on vacation.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #354
MrBug708
Head Coach

Punishing the kid for the sins of the father isn't karma, it's pettiness
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Punishing the kid for the sins of the father isn't karma, it's pettiness

I can't wish anything good on that family as long as the nutjob dad is around, just can't.

I give two shits about any of his kids, so if their misfortune discomfits him then, well, tough shit.

edit: And if the kid looking like a bad pick reflects back on Magic, more the better.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #356
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Anything to make the Lakers (and Clippers too) look bad, lose a ton of games and not make the playoffs can only be a great thing.

By the way, my son is on his way to Las Vegas as we speak. Got tickets for the Summer League there: 8 games in two days. Being underage, he needs to focus solely on the NBA while he's there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM   #357
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like paying Harden 170M for his ages 29-33 season could backfire spectacularly if he suffers an injury or cap dollars contract. But I guess everything is relative now.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:10 AM   #358
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was tongue-in-cheek about the Lonzo/MCW comparison on the last page, but I'd still like to see him knock down the NBA 3 at a decent clip before I'm confident he'll be anything more than a support piece in the right system.

Aussie bias aside, Baynes to Boston seems a good match to me. Solid rebounder who doesn't need to do a lot else on that team.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:15 AM   #359
MrBug708
Head Coach

Game 1 was a huge outlier for Ball
Old 07-10-2017, 05:20 AM   #360
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I was tongue-in-cheek about the Lonzo/MCW comparison on the last page, but I'd still like to see him knock down the NBA 3 at a decent clip before I'm confident he'll be anything more than a support piece in the right system.

Actually Groundhog I think that is exactly what he will become. He has good athleticism, but not great. He has a decent shot, not great. He has the kind of length and basketball savvy to be solid defender, but he is unlikely to evwr make an All-Defensive team.

In other words, he will never be a star like we know them in the game today. But his ability to facilitate an offense and the likelihood he won't be bad at anything, and even quite good at times, will make him the consummate second or third fiddle on a winning team. By himself, he can't lead the Lakers to the playoffs. But I'll bet his supporting piece skillset, matched with conventional stars like LeBron and George will make for a powerful combination of talent.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:02 AM   #361
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't wish anything good on that family as long as the nutjob dad is around, just can't.

A few weeks ago, I was with you 100%.

But once folks said to start looking at him as a heel wrestling manager, my enjoyment went way up.

I'm not saying it makes him a good person. But at least now I laugh instead of get pissed.

I can just picture him making a belt that says "The REAL WWF Champion" for Lonzo and strutting around the ring with it while Gorilla Monsoon goes apoplectic at the announcers table.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #362
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Actually Groundhog I think that is exactly what he will become. He has good athleticism, but not great. He has a decent shot, not great. He has the kind of length and basketball savvy to be solid defender, but he is unlikely to evwr make an All-Defensive team.

In other words, he will never be a star like we know them in the game today. But his ability to facilitate an offense and the likelihood he won't be bad at anything, and even quite good at times, will make him the consummate second or third fiddle on a winning team. By himself, he can't lead the Lakers to the playoffs. But I'll bet his supporting piece skillset, matched with conventional stars like LeBron and George will make for a powerful combination of talent.

I think the Lakers would be fine if this is what he becomes. I dont see MCW as this though. He was the best player on a horrendous team and is now floating around as a backup/role player on a 500 team. Id say the floor for Ball would be MCW and the ceiling is the older version of Jason Kidd.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #363
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ball had 36/11/8/5 today

In Nike shoes...haha
Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #364
korme
Go Reds

His passes are a beauty to behold. He's like me in 2K, just throwing reckless lobs into the paint and miraculously having them work out perfectly.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #365
Groundhog
Coordinator

Great passes, but including today's 0-3 so far he is 5/29 from 3pt land in summer league play. I wouldn't be as worried about that part of his game if he had a better shooting motion.... again, we'll see. Makes it tough to create in the halfcourt when the defense is going under screens and looking to deny the pass - something Rubio discovered pretty quickly.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #366
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

He shot 41.2% from three in college. It will come. The motion might get him blocked more in the NBA, but if defenders do sag off of him or back off through screens, he will make them pay for that.

In fact, he is fairly unconscious (shot decision-wise) when it comes to the outside shot. It's probably smarter to play him tight and force him to drive or give up the ball, since he is a lot lesa decisive taking the ball to the hoop than he is shooting from outside (plus, you force the ball out of his hands, which is when he's most dangerous).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #367
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He shot 41.2% from three in college. It will come. The motion might get him blocked more in the NBA, but if defenders do sag off of him or back off through screens, he will make them pay for that.

In fact, he is fairly unconscious (shot decision-wise) when it comes to the outside shot. It's probably smarter to play him tight and force him to drive or give up the ball, since he is a lot lesa decisive taking the ball to the hoop than he is shooting from outside (plus, you force the ball out of his hands, which is when he's most dangerous).

I think it will affect him more on his pull up and on the PnR. It will basically eliminate the threat of it going one way.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:29 AM   #368
Danny
Head Coach

Ball is a stud. I think he will be the most valuable and most exciting player from this draft and he could be better than Jason Kidd.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 AM   #369
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, LaVar is the type of jackass dad we've seen in sports before, but my impression is that Lonzo is nothing like him, and just rolls his eyes at his dad's antics. Teammates seem to love him, and I don't think LaJackass will be a distraction at all. NBA GMs didn't seem to think so at all leading up to the draft.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:53 AM   #370
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
FWIW, LaVar is the type of jackass dad we've seen in sports before, but my impression is that Lonzo is nothing like him, and just rolls his eyes at his dad's antics. Teammates seem to love him, and I don't think LaJackass will be a distraction at all. NBA GMs didn't seem to think so at all leading up to the draft.

I know plenty of really good people personally who have a jackass of a parent. I certainly don't judge them based on that
Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #371
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rumor, speculation, gossip, call it whatever you want. I will go with peculiar.

Kyrie Irving seeking trade from Cleveland Cavaliers
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #372
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Never been the biggest fan. I have no idea what we can even get in return that will be fair. Wall is better than Irving. But maybe Washington would think about it. Cavs eat Mahimi and send back Channing. Or Shumpert. Something that takes Washington out of the tax.

I kinda want to send him our west. Like PHX for Bledsoe and some guys. No idea what will happen here
Old 07-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #373
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If I'm Phoenix, I'd give anything up but Booker for him. In terms of Kyrie, there has to eventually be a cost for Lebron jerking the organization around with his 1-2 year deals. If I'm Kyrie, am I excited about playing for the Cavs in 2018 with Love and a bunch of old guys while Lebron flies out west?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #374
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm kinda excited to see what Kyrie can bring back in a trade. Exciting offensive player, but too many flaws in his game to ever be the alpha dog on a good team.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #375
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Rumor, speculation, gossip, call it whatever you want. I will go with peculiar.

Kyrie Irving seeking trade from Cleveland Cavaliers

I don't think is actual value and perceived value match up all that well so I don't think it would be an awful idea for Cleveland to explore trading him.

He can score as well as nearly any PG, but defends about as well as Zach LaVine. Playing alongside LeBron has covered up the flaws in his game.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 AM   #376
bhlloy
Coordinator

Second worst guard in the league in defensive metrics per possession and even though it's likely a small sample size, the Cavs with Kyrie without LeBron would have been the worst team in the league in terms of advanced stats

I'm not sure if the market is going to be there for him to be honest, at least for the teams he wants to go to. I can't see him being a Pop player, surely Minnesota doesn't need another all offense/no defense guard and the Knicks don't have anything good to send back.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 AM   #377
Danny
Head Coach

Maybe they should sign Rose and then ship off Irving for a couple of 3 and D types.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #378
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Suns have a need for a point guard for the 2017-2018 season.

Brandon Knight of Phoenix Suns has torn ACL, likely out for season

Also Portland was able to offload Allen Crabbe to the Nets.

The Portland Trail Blazers are trading guard Allen Crabbe to the Brooklyn Nets, sources said.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 07-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #379
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The Suns have a need for a point guard for the 2017-2018 season.

Brandon Knight of Phoenix Suns has torn ACL, likely out for season
Knight is the Suns' Joakim Noah. He's just dead cap weight (even before the injury). The team likes Bledsoe, Booker, Ulis and the drafted gurads much more than him. This actually is good news for the team as he won't be stewing around on the bench next season because he isn't playing. From Jan 1 on last year, he averaged 16 MPG and got a ton of DNPs before being shut down in the tankapalooza. No real loss here for the Suns. It will be hard to replace his 39% FG and 32% from 3 though

Last edited by Arles : 07-25-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #380
Groundhog
Coordinator

Derrick Rose is obviously no Kyrie Irving at this point of his career, but it lessens the need to get a PG in return for Kyrie. PG is a bit of a luxury position on a LeBron team anyway, TBH.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #381
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I agree, a defensive PG is much more important than a ball handler.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #382
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Rose wasn't a legit starter last year and might be worse than Calderon. Great WaPo write up on just how bad he was.

Derrick Rose isn’t the playmaker LeBron James and the Cavs are looking for - The Washington Post
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #383
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah Rose was bad, but the Knicks were woeful for reasons that extended well beyond Rose's play. (Hopefully) the Cavs won't be the same train-wreck that the Knicks were on the court. It would be nice if he can knock down over .300 of his open 3s though, which he is probably going to have more of in Cle than he did NYK, as he'll be off the ball a whole lot.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #384
miami_fan
Coordinator

Danny Crawford has retired.

Referee Danny Crawford retires after 31 NBA seasons - NBA.com
Old 08-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #385
Izulde
Head Coach

Luka Doncic - The Greatest European Prospect Ever And Potential #1 Pick - Dallas Sports Fanatic

Shameless plug, but this is a kid I'm planning on following his NBA career closely. Will be very interesting to see how he does

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #386
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't see how Kyrie makes Boston better if it meant losing Crowder.

Really surprised Cleveland pulled this trade off.

Trade is at the league office waiting final approval. Rumored deal is Crowder, Thomas, and a 1st for Kyrie.

Last edited by Atocep : 08-22-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #387
Danny
Head Coach

Wow, well done cleveland.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:41 PM   #388
RainMaker
General Manager

Why would Boston give up all that for Kyrie but not Butler or George?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #389
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fuck fuck fuck what is this shit fuck fuck
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Im legit nauseous.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #391
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why would Boston give up all that for Kyrie but not Butler or George?

Why wouldnt we trade Kyrie foe George or Butler. Either of those guys is better than paying IT 30-35M a year.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #392
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Why wouldnt we trade Kyrie foe George or Butler. Either of those guys is better than paying IT 30-35M a year.

Because Kyrie isn't worth either of those guys.

Crowder is the big get here IMO.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #393
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I don't see how Kyrie makes Boston better if it meant losing Crowder.

Really surprised Cleveland pulled this trade off.

Trade is at the league office waiting final approval. Rumored deal is Crowder, Thomas, and a 1st for Kyrie.

I grew up in Cleveland, and FB is in an uproar....they all hate the trade, but...doesn't it get them a legit PG and the #1 overall pick as well as 2 good centers under team control?

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #394
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's an amazing deal for Cleveland. Gives them the flexibility to do whatever they want next year depending on what LeBron does
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #395
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did we get Zizic? I might not jump off the Roberto Clemente bridge.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #396
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I grew up in Cleveland, and FB is in an uproar....they all hate the trade, but...doesn't it get them a legit PG and the #1 overall pick as well as 2 good centers under team control?

Isaiah isn't the best player Cleveland got. Crowder is probably a better player than Kyrie on his own and his contract is incredibly team friendly.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #397
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Are they going to resign IT?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #398
stevew
Hall Of Famer

U can only play 5 guys. Depth is irrelevant when you're in win now mode. IT is entertaining but i hate giving up Kyrie in conference
Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #399
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Unprotected Brooklyn first round pick as well. Wow.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #400
rjolley
College Starter

So, this basically means Cleveland's new GM who's been on the job for less than 2 months is better than GarPax or the Pacers' GM...

Can't be mad at Boston. That's a good deal that gets them a bigger playmaker at the point, clears some playing time for Brown and Tatum, and gets rid of a potential problem in the injured free agent Thomas who probably isn't worth a max contract on a contender.

Think Cleveland made out very well compared to the haul that Chicago and Indiana got. If either of them got that deal and they turned it down, their front offices need to be revamped.

Last edited by rjolley : 08-22-2017 at 07:04 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote