Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #251
korme
Go Reds

All right, nerds for grammar. In the following sentence, fill in the missing punctuation marks.

"It is your obligation as a writer to provide sufficient specific supporting details evidence and argumentation to persuade your reader what you claim is true."
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #252
dacman
College Benchwarmer

It is your obligation as a writer to provide sufficient, specific, supporting details; evidence; and argumentation to persuade your reader what you claim is true.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 PM   #253
korme
Go Reds

Why does evidence garner a semi-colon?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #254
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

"It is your obligation, as a writer, to provide sufficient specific supporting details, evidence, and argumentation to persuade your reader what you claim is true."

dacman put the semicolons in to denote the series-within-a-series of "sufficient, specific, supporting". However, I didn't really find that necessary.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 09-08-2008 at 07:03 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #255
MJ4H
Coordinator

It is your obligation as a writer to provide sufficient specific supporting details, evidence, and argumentation to persuade your reader what you claim is true.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #256
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Whereas I find setting off "as a writer" with commas completely unnecessary. Frankly there probably isn't a singular correct answer for this one. It's largely a matter of style.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #257
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacman View Post
Whereas I find setting off "as a writer" with commas completely unnecessary. Frankly there probably isn't a singular correct answer for this one. It's largely a matter of style.

Yep, I'm a comma fiend.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #258
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't think the phrase "as a writer" is a true appositive (the case where you are to set it off with commas before) here, and I'd leave them out myself. There might be a formal rule in place governing when to use the commas, but I'd be willing to let it slide either way, and I'm obviously a grammar nazi.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM   #259
QuikSand
lolzcat

Time intervals tend to be a source of confusion:

Bi = two
Semi = half

If you get a bill every six months, that's semiannually, not biennially (once every two years).

If The Sporting News is now distributed every two weeks, it's (sort of) a semi-monthly, not a bi-monthly. A bi-monthly comes out 6 times a year.

Yes, this is yet another case where the dictionaries have in part conceded the point to the lazy masses, and a number of them will now include the previously unacceptable definition as acceptable. It's the same old debate, hashed out time and time again.

Just for the purists out there, we really do have two separate words (or prefixes) for these two separate concepts, and a language is better for having them, in concept.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #260
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's an early Christmas present:

"Our team was really dominant today..." is the correct form of dominate to use in this sort of statement. I always want to punch folks who use "dominate" in that context.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #261
Bad-example
College Starter

Not directed at anyone in particular, but:

Can you spell the word "finite"? Sure, most everyone can spell the word "finite".

Then you should not have any trouble in the future spelling the word definitely.

Thanks for your time.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #262
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Has anyone posted rediculous yet? That drives me nuts.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #263
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, it's an old thread. The original idea was to try to get past the fairly mundane stuff and get to things where the correct/preferred usage might actually be useful to someone who would be inclined to read a thread like this. But that's five or six pages ago, so I guess all bets are off by now. *shurg*
Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #264
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by original thread starter View Post
Okay, from time to time I (and others) have posted a thread here to discuss, bemoan, berate, or otherwise converse about grammar and its (mis)use.

Most of these conversations turn into a pretty predictable venting about "pet peeves" and the like. We get all the apostrophe stuff (which gets to me), the homonym misuse stuff, the using-the-wrong-word-you-idiot stuff, and so forth. The thing is -- other than a few inevitable "fucking elitists" gate crasher posts in each thread, it ends up basically being the good grammar types sitting together in a thread and complaining about the people who use poor grammar. (...and spelling...and diction... I know, I know)

So - this thread is intended to be different.

If you've made it this far, you know that it's "would have" rather than "would of." You know the difference between "its" and "it's" and between "dominant" and "dominate." So, there's no need to cover that. If any of those items are puzzling to you ... move along people, nothing to see here.

- - -

In this thread - post grammar, spelling, usage, and pronunciation tips that people might actually be able to use. Common mistakes made by people who are otherwise on the ball, that sort of thing.

Links to sites detailing this stuff are okay, but I personally am lazy and prefer that you actually spoon this right to me. It's a weakness.

I intend to learn something here, and I hope you do, too.

Just for reference, in case this thread for some reason regains life...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #265
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
You know the difference between "its" and "it's" and between "dominant" and "dominate." So, there's no need to cover that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Here's an early Christmas present:

"Our team was really dominant today..." is the correct form of dominate to use in this sort of statement. I always want to punch folks who use "dominate" in that context.

Out of the thread, Kodos backs.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-24-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #266
st.cronin
General Manager

I have a hard time remembering which of bi/semi is correct.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #267
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The internet seems split on this one. Help me out here:

"The government makes several arguments in support of the district court, none of which address/addresses the fundamental infirmity of . . . "

Is none singular or plural? By ear, I can hear it both ways:

"None of the cookies are left"
"None of the cake is left"

But that also seems like we are just using the singular or plural of the object of "of," which stikes me as violating all sorts of fundamental rules.

One answer might be to replace "none" with "not one," but that runs into problems when you try to construct sentences like "Not one of the cake is left."

So, is none singular or plural or both? And, if it is both, then what it is doing in the sentence above regarding district courts?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #268
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I've always gone by none = not one = singular. But I'll defer to QS.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #269
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What's with "an historical" gaining popularity? I've seen this a lot more over the last year or two and saw it again on The Daily Show yesterday or maybe two days ago. What part of "historical" starts with a vowel?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #270
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The internet seems split on this one. Help me out here:

"The government makes several arguments in support of the district court, none of which address/addresses the fundamental infirmity of . . . "

I believe the correct word in this example is address because you are talking about "the arguments" and not "the argument." One way I figure it out is by shortening the sentence down to its core parts: the arguments...address or the arguments...addresses and it's clear that the former is the correct word for your example.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #271
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Do you get paid ten dollars A hour?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #272
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I believe the correct word in this example is address because you are talking about "the arguments" and not "the argument." One way I figure it out is by shortening the sentence down to its core parts: the arguments...address or the arguments...addresses and it's clear that the former is the correct word for your example.

I could be wrong but the subject of the sentence is none.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #273
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Do you get paid ten dollars A hour?

The reason hour get "an" before is because the "h" is silent so the vowel sound is the first in the word. However, the "h" in historical is not silent at all

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #274
QuikSand
lolzcat

My "ear" says that none doesn't fit either the singular or plural mold, and instead seems to define a subset of the original -- so you connect to the nature of the original. When it's essentially none of the arguments or none of the cookies, you employ the plural. When it's essentially none of the cake, you employ the singular.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #275
QuikSand
lolzcat

from Subject and Verb Agreement | Grammar Rules

With words that indicate portions—percent, fraction, part, majority, some, all, none, remainder, and so forth —look at the noun in your of phrase (object of the preposition) to determine whether to use a singular or plural verb. If the object of the preposition is singular, use a singular verb. If the object of the preposition is plural, use a plural verb.

...though this is not exactly a uniform view, even that page concedes. I still thin it works best.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-05-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #276
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
I could be wrong but the subject of the sentence is none.

Yes, I know but none = the arguments in this sentence. If you delete everything before none, the sentence doesn't make sense, so you need none to refer back to the arguments, hence my reason for shortening the sentence to determine which word I thought was appropriate.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #277
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

address it is, then.

Thanks, guys.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #278
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Is it proper to use the word "nor" in a sentence without "neither" also being in the sentence? Can:

"Neither Bob nor Alice wanted to go to the store"

be shortened to:

"Bob nor Alice wanted to go to the store"
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #279
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Is it proper to use the word "nor" in a sentence without "neither" also being in the sentence? Can:

"Neither Bob nor Alice wanted to go to the store"

be shortened to:

"Bob nor Alice wanted to go to the store"

No, I don't think you can do that because you can't have one without the other. I could be wrong, though.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #280
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

So is it fair so say you can drop the "either" in an "either - or" sentence, but not the "neither" in a "neither - nor"? I've always thought this to be the case, but I've seen a bunch of dropped "neither" lately and was curious.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #281
DanGarion
Coordinator

So I can't say... "I have never gone to England, nor have I gone Ireland..."?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #282
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
So I can't say... "I have never gone to England, nor have I gone Ireland..."?

Yeah I think you can say that. I'm not sure on the rules behind it but my impression of using "nor" was that you have to have a phrase before it. What I mean is that I don't think you can use "nor" as a substitute for "or" without including a phrase before "nor." The example "Bob nor Alice wanted to go to the store" doesn't work because we don't have a phrase before "nor," we just have a person's name. In the "Bob nor Alice" example, I think you have to eiter have to have "neither" if you want "nor" if you have to lose "nor" altogether. Does that make any sense?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #283
samifan24
Pro Starter

Which is correct?

Have you heard of _____ before?

-or-

Had you heard of _____ before?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #284
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Which is correct?

Have you heard of _____ before?

-or-

Had you heard of _____ before?

Depends on if the person you are asking about is dead or not...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #285
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I've been wrong in here before, so caveat emptor, but my thinking is that if the "heard" part takes place in the past (Had you heard of the impending market collapse before last November?) you use had, whereas if it is in the present ("have you heard that the stock market is down 200 points today?) you use have.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 03-13-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #286
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ronnie has that in hand.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #287
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I say "I'm feeling nauseated"
She says "I feel nauseous"

I take that to mean that I feel sick to my stomach, whereas she makes others feel sick to their stomach.
She says both phrases mean the same thing.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #288
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I've been wrong in here before, so caveat emptor, but my thinking is that if the "heard" part takes place in the past (Had you heard of the impending market collapse before last November?) you use had, whereas if it is in the present ("have you heard that the stock market is down 200 points today?) you use have.
But one could use the "had you heard that the stock market is down 200 points today?" and still be right, depending on if the person asking the question assumed that the person they were asking knew the information earlier then at that exact moment of questioning. Today is a very broad term of time.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #289
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I say "I'm feeling nauseated"
She says "I feel nauseous"

I take that to mean that I feel sick to my stomach, whereas she makes others feel sick to their stomach.
She says both phrases mean the same thing.

I think this one has slipped away... enough people use "nauseous" to mean "sick to my stomach" that it's too common to fight.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #290
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But one could use the "had you heard that the stock market is down 200 points today?" and still be right, depending on if the person asking the question assumed that the person they were asking knew the information earlier then at that exact moment of questioning. Today is a very broad term of time.

Metaphysics is down the hall, buddy, this is English.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #291
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I meant present to mean "this very moment" and today to indicate the market's movement.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #292
samifan24
Pro Starter

My thinking was in asking "have you heard" and "had you heard" you've both talking about something that was heard in the past, no doubt, but does that make them interchangeable?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #293
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
My thinking was in asking "have you heard" and "had you heard" you've both talking about something that was heard in the past, no doubt, but does that make them interchangeable?

But "had you heard" is not simply in the past -- it's the past in terms of another point in time, also in the past.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #294
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

My professor would love Quiksand. I am confident she would have an orgasm discussing grammar with you.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #295
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Reading this thread has actually got me interested in taking a grammar course sometime next year. Would love to brush up on everything and it fits a degree requirement as well.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #296
MJ4H
Coordinator

i agree grammar is rulez
Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #297
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But "had you heard" is not simply in the past -- it's the past in terms of another point in time, also in the past.

So you're saying:

"Have you heard?" - Right now only and coming up for the first time

"Had you heard?" - Always in the past and coming up again

Is that it?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #298
JediKooter
Coordinator

I would use "Had you heard" like this: "Had you heard that we would be meeting at 3 instead of 4, you would not have been late."

"Have you heard": "Have you heard that the meeting has been changed from 3 to 4? So don't be late."

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4

Last edited by JediKooter : 03-13-2009 at 03:31 PM.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #299
MJ4H
Coordinator

Had you heard of that book before you saw the movie?

as opposed to

Have you heard of that book? (before now)
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #300
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Lately I have noticed that FOFC needs a friendly reminder. Please take notes if you are having trouble.

They're - A contraction for "They are."
"I heard they're taking a trip to the beach this weekend."

Their - A form of the possessive case of "they."
"I like their house because it has a very nice yard."

There - There are a lot of options here, but lets go with the pronoun, meaning "that place."
"I like to go there for ice cream."

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote