Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #3301
tarcone
Coordinator

I love Scythe. And I played with someone who also had the upgraded pieces. Wow. Did you use the extended board. That is a must.

It is a fun game. But I dont think it is worth the price tag.

it goes for $80 at MM.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #3302
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

We were four, and three of us learning the game, so we used the smaller of the two boards. I cannot wait to get more time with the game.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #3303
tarcone
Coordinator

Vince I found it in an auction. No upgrades but the 4 promo packs are included. BIN is $85

The Bill Comes Due Auction - Ends May 4th, 2017 | BoardGameGeek

Old 05-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #3304
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks for that tarcone! I bit, so I should have it soon. Excited to put it in my collection and get it back to the table some more.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #3305
tarcone
Coordinator

Good deal. Enjoy it. If you get a chance to play it solo with the autorama (or whatever it is called) tell me how it is. That may be a tipping point for me to buy at some point.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #3306
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Will do. My buddy has five solo plays under his belt and he says the basic automated deck is pretty much a pushover; I will probably start with something more difficult than that.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #3307
PilotMan
Head Coach

The boys and I picked up V2 of Betrayal at House on the Hill. This was the first time that I'd looked at it, after my youngest said they tried it in gaming club. We had a really good time once we figured out what the hell we were doing.

In our first game the traitor won on the very first turn. So it that was a bit anti-climatic, but there was nothing we could do at all.

The second game saw the heroes win, but not without some effort. When the haunt started the heroes had next to nothing, but the traitor couldn't put together a cohesive strategy, and we were able to finally get our shit together and win, but it took forever.

Two very different games in one session, great stuff.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 05-07-2017 at 01:47 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #3308
tarcone
Coordinator

I like Betrayal.

Many dont.

I want the expansion.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #3309
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's a pretty cool game in small doses. My group and I found it, and played about 8 rounds in one night...we never touched it again.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #3310
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Going play Churchill on Thursday. Excited about it. Anyone play before?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #3311
tarcone
Coordinator

I played Captain Sonar at Geekway to the West. We played with 8 players. Which you need to make it a great experience.
Man, what a great game. Intense and very absorbing. You get a role and try and find the other teams sub and sink them. It is Battleship on steroids.

Love it.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #3312
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I played Captain Sonar at Geekway to the West. We played with 8 players. Which you need to make it a great experience.
Man, what a great game. Intense and very absorbing. You get a role and try and find the other teams sub and sink them. It is Battleship on steroids.

Love it.

Funny coincidence, I came here just to ask if anyone has played this game. I had just learned about it last week, and became very interested. Sadly, I missed a great flash sale last Friday on Miniature Market for the game at $35.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #3313
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Going play Churchill on Thursday. Excited about it. Anyone play before?

No, but I eagerly await your take on the game!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #3314
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
Funny coincidence, I came here just to ask if anyone has played this game. I had just learned about it last week, and became very interested. Sadly, I missed a great flash sale last Friday on Miniature Market for the game at $35.

We played 3 games in a hour or so. There are 4 roles on each team.
Radio operator. This person listens to the other captain and tries to plot his course. I was this on game and loved it. I was able to nail down where he was an we sank him.
Captain. He makes the decision. Direction, sonar, mines, torpedoes, etc,
Engineer. He keeps tabs on if the various systems are functional and ready to use. This was the most difficult one I think. We had a guy who had played before do this.
Then the other roles name escapes me. But he keeps track of which systems are redy to use.

Great coopetition game. The time goes by in a flash. And you really get the feel of the theme. Not that I have been in a sub or been hunted or was hunting subs. But it seemed pretty spot on.

I think it best with 8. With 6 you have a guy playing 2 roles.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #3315
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
We played 3 games in a hour or so. There are 4 roles on each team.
Radio operator. This person listens to the other captain and tries to plot his course. I was this on game and loved it. I was able to nail down where he was an we sank him.
Captain. He makes the decision. Direction, sonar, mines, torpedoes, etc,
Engineer. He keeps tabs on if the various systems are functional and ready to use. This was the most difficult one I think. We had a guy who had played before do this.
Then the other roles name escapes me. But he keeps track of which systems are redy to use.

Great coopetition game. The time goes by in a flash. And you really get the feel of the theme. Not that I have been in a sub or been hunted or was hunting subs. But it seemed pretty spot on.

I think it best with 8. With 6 you have a guy playing 2 roles.

Yeah, sounds like a really fun game. You can get a good feel of it from watching the playthrough videos. It looks like a game I can only bring to a family gathering, as I don't think I would be able to get 8 people together for a game night.

But definitely a must buy for me.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #3316
MIJB#19
Coordinator

About a month ago, finally broke the ice on Risk Legacy. We played with the 5 youngest cousins of a large family at the annual family reunion, so I'm expecting it'll be a year until we'll play again. I made a pact with my brother and a cousin about 3 years ago and I'll stick to that. Life has been in the way (for bad and for good reasons) to postpone this happening until now, I think none of us mind if we end up playing only 1 or 2 games every year. Or I guess I'll try to ask the same bunch to come over at some point in the fall.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #3317
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I recently picked up Santorini. This is a great abstract game for two players. You can play straight up which provides an intriguing game. You move one of two pieces and build adjacent to it. You win by moving up to the top of a level 3 building. You can take a space out of play by building it out to level 4.

Once you play a game or two, you can add god cards. You get one to use per game. These give you special abilities,maybe an extra move, an extra build, you could cap a space out at level 1 or 2 instead of level 4. It is a typical game of few rules but rich gameplay.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #3318
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Began a game of Diplomacy with my co-workers yesterday, using http://www.backstabbr.com/ . We are playing a 1 week game just so we can all get used to the rules and how to use the site, and then we'll restart a full game for realz. We'll play 1 turn per day.

So far we've played 1 turn and I've already felt the red hot rage burning within me towards one of my co-workers. This is going to be awesome.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #3319
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Began a game of Diplomacy with my co-workers yesterday, using http://www.backstabbr.com/ . We are playing a 1 week game just so we can all get used to the rules and how to use the site, and then we'll restart a full game for realz. We'll play 1 turn per day.

So far we've played 1 turn and I've already felt the red hot rage burning within me towards one of my co-workers. This is going to be awesome.

Dynasty please

Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #3320
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dynasty please

I've never done a dynasty before but that might be a lot of fun! Maybe I'll start one when we begin the real game.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-14-2017, 06:42 AM   #3321
bob
College Starter

In case any is interested, the price of Seafall has dropped to $35 on Amazon.

I know reviews have been mixed, but I'd probably pick it up for that price if I had a group to play with.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #3322
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Bought Legends of Andor a couple of weeks ago and have played solo 6 times now: succeeding in Legend 1 first try, struggling through Legend 2 in three tries, rolling through Legend 3 in one sweep and failing miserably in Legend 4 on the first try.

It feels like a Pandemy kind of co-op puzzle game, while the components make you think it's a bit of a dungeon crawl. Given what's in the box and all, right now I'm actually disappointed there are only 5 Legends. Legend 3 seems to be the actual core of the game, with a decent number of randomizers to make it better replayable. Reading through the description of available expansions, Star Shield seems to add that missing piece, but unlike with my usual a weakness for wanting to get all the expansions, with this game I'm very hesitant at the moment.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:11 AM   #3323
tarcone
Coordinator

I bought Not Alone yesterday. Filler type game. Lasts 30-45 minutes. A group crash lands on a planet. And they are trying to be rescued, but will explore while waiting. The planet has much flora and fauna. But the group realizes they are not alone.

One group plays cooperatively to survive until the rescue ship arrives. While one player is the creture hunting the group trying to assimilate them into the planet.

Plays 2-7.

I have a game day going on today with 5 friends coming over. Hoping to get this one to the table.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #3324
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Loved my 4 days at Origins. Favorite new game was Tyrants of the Underdark. Loads of fun and neat way to incorporate deck building and area control.

Also finally walked myself through Pericles, the "sequel" to GMTs Churchill. It's a better game in every respect since the war is no longer a sideshow. Really 2 games in one.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #3325
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My wife and kid are gone on an extended trip, and I'll have the house to myself for a couple of weeks. I have an itch to solo play some Lovecraft. Which should I play?

I've got:
Eldritch Horror + Forsaken Lore expansion
Elder Sign + Unseen Forces + Gates of Arkham + Omens of the Deep + Omens of Ice
Arkham Horror (base only, but i'm high bid on King in Yellow and Dark Pharaoh Revised in an auction that's ending today)

I'm considering to buy Mansions of Madness 2e, so that's another option.

I wish I still had my copies of AH:LCG core set. But I keep talking myself out of buying them back because of the need to continue buying expansions.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #3326
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My wife and kid are gone on an extended trip, and I'll have the house to myself for a couple of weeks. I have an itch to solo play some Lovecraft. Which should I play?

I've got:
Eldritch Horror + Forsaken Lore expansion
Elder Sign + Unseen Forces + Gates of Arkham + Omens of the Deep + Omens of Ice
Arkham Horror (base only, but i'm high bid on King in Yellow and Dark Pharaoh Revised in an auction that's ending today)

I'm considering to buy Mansions of Madness 2e, so that's another option.

I wish I still had my copies of AH:LCG core set. But I keep talking myself out of buying them back because of the need to continue buying expansions.

They are all pretty great. Then again, I am biased, because I do love these games.

The Second Edition Mansions of Madness is a ton of fun. The App is fantastic and adds a lot to the game. I hated the first edition, but love the second. So, I might recommend that for something new.

Elder Sign is good and quick, but I do prefer either Eldritch Horror or Arkham Horror.

Eldritch Horror is easier to set up than Arkham, so for solo play that may make Eldritch the winner. That being said, Arkham Horror is my favorite board game of all time, so it's hard not to recommend it, even though I understand it's not for everyone.

I've hard all of the Arkham expansions forever, so it's hard for me to really remember what expansion comes with what in terms of equipment, characters, encounters, etc.

I played a game of Eldrich Horror with some friends over the weekend. For some reason, we really struggle to win that game, but managed to take down Cthulhu. It was close and we had to sacrifice two investigators to do so.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #3327
Thomkal
Head Coach

1 vote for Eldritch Horror here. Though I've only seen a play through of solo Mansions, and it looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 PM   #3328
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Since I'll have a couple of weeks of free time, I've decided to play each of them once, in order of complexity. Starting with Elder Sign w/Unseen Forces. Next, Eldritch Horror w/ Forsaken Lore. Then a game of Arkham Horror, base set unless my copy of Dark Pharaoh Revised (which I won in the auction) arrives in time.

Finally, if I still have a bit of freedom left over, I'll pick up MoM:2e from my FLGS and get a game in.

I've already got ES set up on my table, ready to roll dice when I get home from work tomorrow.

Is there any thematic music I can ask Alexa to play to get the mood going?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 07-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #3329
AnalBumCover
College Starter

First solo game was Elder Sign. I (we, my investigators) lost to Shub Niggurath in the final battle as my investigators got devoured one by one in the fight. I think we should've lost sooner as I kept forgetting to add his special ability to new monsters (one extra terror task).

Second solo game was Eldritch Horror against Cthulhu. I surrendered to the GOO when he awoke with only one mystery solved. Very poor dice rolls throughout the entire game. I couldn't get any momentum here.

Third solo game is currently being played: Arkham Horror. Azathoth was the randomly selected GOO. Lucky me. At least I don't have to face him in a final battle. This is my first playthrough of AH. But I think I've seen enough videos to know the basic flow of the game.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #3330
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My copy of Nemo's War 2nd Edition came on Thursday. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #3331
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
First solo game was Elder Sign. I (we, my investigators) lost to Shub Niggurath in the final battle as my investigators got devoured one by one in the fight. I think we should've lost sooner as I kept forgetting to add his special ability to new monsters (one extra terror task).

Second solo game was Eldritch Horror against Cthulhu. I surrendered to the GOO when he awoke with only one mystery solved. Very poor dice rolls throughout the entire game. I couldn't get any momentum here.

Third solo game is currently being played: Arkham Horror. Azathoth was the randomly selected GOO. Lucky me. At least I don't have to face him in a final battle. This is my first playthrough of AH. But I think I've seen enough videos to know the basic flow of the game.

Sounds excellent!

Eldritch Horror is no joke.

I'm not sure if you have Spotify, bit there is a pretty good "Cthulhu" playlist on there. Also, the soundtrack to "Stranger Things" is great. As is music by Cryo Chamber. Plenty of good mood music out there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #3332
tarcone
Coordinator

Twilight Imperium 4 is coming!

A game I would love to own but know it would never get played. Well, maybe at a con. But thats it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/e...tion-showcase/

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #3333
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I played the first one once a few times but the group of people I played with sort of detracted from the fun. Also with the first couple games it seems have the time was spent poring over the rules.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #3334
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played Scythe for the first time a week or so ago, it was a lot of fun.

I also recently purchased Nemo's War 2nd Edition. I've played it once solo and it seemed pretty fun, though I didn't finish (had to go to sleep, left the board set up to resume it the next evening but my kids managed to scatter the pieces).
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #3335
tarcone
Coordinator

Just picked up Star Trek: Fleet Captains and the 2 expansions.
I have been interested in this game for awhile.
Anyone own it or played it?

The reviews say it is awesome.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #3336
tarcone
Coordinator

Twilight Imperium 4 is supposed to be streamlined. And a lot of the info is on cards or on the board. Things that tripped people up over the years.

Nemos war is a fun solo game. I really like that game.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #3337
dzilla77
High School Varsity

I just got back from a gaming week up north with a bunch of guys. I got to play several new games:
Scythe
Terraforming Mars
Gloomhaven
Clank
Captain Sonar

Love Scythe, TM and Gloomhaven - can't really pick a favorite of those three. Clank and Captain Sonar were good, but not to the level of the other 3.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #3338
tarcone
Coordinator

Just pre-ordered TI4.

How to hide $250 worth of games I bought in the last couple days.

Plus I got a freebie from BGG, The Civil War.

My wife is going to kill me.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #3339
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Just pre-ordered TI4.

How to hide $250 worth of games I bought in the last couple days.

Plus I got a freebie from BGG, The Civil War.

My wife is going to kill me.

An interesting topic, as I'm sure more than a few of us here have put ourselves in this situation: How to hide from or reveal to the SO the games we bought in such a short period of time with minimal backlash.

So I have a few games that I have splurged on over the past few months. They are currently hiding in the guest room closet. I have yet to figure out how to bring those out.

Until a few posts up, I pointed out that I was fortunate enough to encounter the "Amazon Prime glitch". While bragging to the wife about said glitch, it allowed me to exaggerate the loot size by throwing in one or two of my concealed packages.

More recently, I just got a nice bonus from my employer, so I was able to bring out a couple more games. It's tough to resist buying more games with my new money though. But I really should work on emptying out the guest closet before it gets discovered.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #3340
Thomkal
Head Coach

how appropriate that you got a game called The Civil War then
Old 08-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #3341
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Picked up Great Western Trail a while back and got a couple 2-player plays in this past weekend. I like the game a lot, and can't wait to get a 3 or 4 player game in.

You play the role of a Midwestern rancher who repeatedly drives his cattle to Kansas City to sell then ship out west. Gameplay is a somewhat simple move then perform an action (based upon your location) mechanic across a board with several branching paths. As the game continues, players will add tiles to the board, increasing the available places to land. This has the dual feature of adding (slightly) more variety to the available actions - you can only perform new actions at your own personal buildings or the 7 neutral buildings that are on the board from the beginning of the game - and lengthening each successive trip to KC (because you have to stop more often). Your herd of cattle is represented by a deck of cards that begins meager, but you can build up your deck throughout the game by purchasing new cattle. "Sold" cows are discarded, so will cycle through your deck repeatedly.

With what seems to be several viable strategies to pursue on your way to victory, the game has very good replayability, and with pretty simple setup and teardown (once you get used to it), we had a great time. There are only a few decisions to be made on any given turn, so pace of play (again, once familiarity sets in) becomes nice and quick after a few rounds of gameplay. Thematically while it is no Arkham Horror, it definitely has a nice Western feel, and I'd give it a strong rating in the theme department.

The game is a mashup of a few different styles - there's a little area control, a good bit of deck building, some market strategy to be had here, and even a developmental aspect as you clear your personal board and unlock new actions/enhance existing abilities. Although none of the systems are tremendously deep, none feels especially shallow either. I think the designer did a pretty great job blending them all.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #3342
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just ran through Hollandspiele's Supply Lines of the American Revolution, and it is a very fun little game. Some tough decisions with your limited attack options.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #3343
tarcone
Coordinator

I bought Warlords of Europe a few months ago. A guy was selling copies on a FB page. He had a few copies NIS he was selling for $70. I jumped on it, thinking I could sell it for around $250.
But I decided I wanted to keep it. So I broke the seal this weekend and set up a 4 player game. I am soloing it.

What a great DoaM game. So much going for it. Cool minis, dice chucking, terrain effects, cards that affect play.

Keeping htis one.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #3344
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

At this year's World Boardgaming Championships, I took second place at Love Letter, of all things.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #3345
tarcone
Coordinator

Nice. Congrats to you. I like that game.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #3346
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
At this year's World Boardgaming Championships, I took second place at Love Letter, of all things.

congrats?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #3347
tarcone
Coordinator

Whew. Dodged a bullet yesterday. Star Trek: Fleet Captains arrived. Luckily my wife worked late. So i was able to get the games in and out of the box and down to my gaming room unnoticed.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #3348
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Whew. Dodged a bullet yesterday. Star Trek: Fleet Captains arrived. Luckily my wife worked late. So i was able to get the games in and out of the box and down to my gaming room unnoticed.

Just don't be wearing a red-shirt when she finds out, because you know what happens to the redshirts in Trek
Old 08-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #3349
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just jumped back into the LCG rabbit hole and purchased Arkham Horror LCG, having regretted selling off my copies a few months back.

I just played the first scenario solo, two-handed last night and I was instantly hooked. I went out and got a second core set, and the Dunwich Legacy expansion, and ordered most of the mythos sets for the expansion.

Now on to start a campaign.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 08-27-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 PM   #3350
tarcone
Coordinator

Lots of people dumping Twilight Imperium 3 and expansions on BGG. Pretty funny.

TI4 looks like it plays ans hour a player. Or less. So the streamlining seems to have worked.

6 hours is a lot easier to take then 10 hours.