Head Coach

sad to see Timeless get cancelled.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #102
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
sad to see Timeless get cancelled.
Even better to read NBC changed it's mind and picked it up. Sony cut it's fee to make the deal work.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #103
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
Even better to read NBC changed it's mind and picked it up. Sony cut it's fee to make the deal work.

yeah nice to see a good show get rewarded.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #104
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's been far too long since we have had a Star Trek post in this thread So I give you the first trailer for the new show:

Star Trek: Discovery first trailer released

Not sure I'm a big fan on the time this takes place in Star Trek history, but guess I'll wait and see on that. I've also noticed that the first season of a Trek show is its weakest-all the actors are new to their characters and the Trek universe, and it takes time for them to get comfortable with it and the writers to find their voices. Psyched though that there will be a new race represented on the ship.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #105
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think I'd be a lot more psyched about a Star Trek show in a cultural vacuum, but in this age of endless reboots, comic book origin stories, and sequels ad infinitum it almost just sounds exhausting. I gotta keep track of these characters too, now? As one of the original drivers of the endless sequel I think I'm willing give them even less slack.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #106
RainMaker
General Manager

Only 3 episodes of Leftovers left. Just so good.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #107
molson
General Manager

Twin Peaks premiers tonight. I'm subscribing to Showtime with a $5/month Dish deal just for that and to catchup with Homeland. I'm intentionally avoided any speculation/news about what it will actually be about, and it's been a few years since I've watched the original Twin Peaks, but I did glance at the cast list and it's ridiculous. 217 actors for 8 episodes, including people who aren't actors, like UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping and Eddie Vedder. I have no idea what to expect but I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited by molson : 05-21-2017 at 04:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #108
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Only 3 episodes of Leftovers left. Just so good.

It really is. This season has been fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #109
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

2 episodes of The Leftovers remaining. This past episode is one of the best of the series. Sad to see this show go.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-22-2017 at 03:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #110
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Twin Peaks premiers tonight. I'm subscribing to Showtime with a $5/month Dish deal just for that and to catchup with Homeland. I'm intentionally avoided any speculation/news about what it will actually be about, and it's been a few years since I've watched the original Twin Peaks, but I did glance at the cast list and it's ridiculous. 217 actors for 8 episodes, including people who aren't actors, like UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping and Eddie Vedder. I have no idea what to expect but I'm looking forward to it.

I'm barreling through all the previous stuff in anticipation of season 3 as I'd never seen any of it before. Season 1 was fantastic. Wish I had watched it sooner but it was one of those things where I just missed out on the initial run and never had the inclination, for whatever reason, to watch it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #111
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
2 episodes of The Leftovers remaining. The last episode is one of the best of the series. Sad to see this show go.

ugggh, i have got to make time to catch up, I really want to watch the finale at least within a day or two of when it airs. I'm only on the second episode.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:41 AM   #112
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought the Leftovers ending was well done. Just a terrific show.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #113
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I thought the Leftovers ending was well done. Just a terrific show.

Agreed. I loved it. The show was fantastic. I'm sorry to see it go, but I think it said all it needed to say.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-06-2017, 10:56 PM   #114
Radii
Head Coach

I caught up and finished The Leftovers tonight. I loved the entire series, I was one of the ones that even loved Season 1 with its overwhelming darkness. The last four episodes were, even by the high standards set by this show, absolutely brilliant.

Its hard to judge so soon after something ends, but I like to do it anyway. I don't ever imagine that I'll say this is the best show that I've ever seen, but no other show has made me feel as much, or moved me as much as this one.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:50 AM   #115
RainMaker
General Manager

I loved Season one as well. Not sure it's my favorite show of all time but it's the one show that I thought about days after watching.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #116
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Leftovers is really one of the best shows I've ever seen. Sad that more haven't watched it, but I have a feeling it'll be one of those shows talked about for a long while.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #117
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Leftovers is really one of the best shows I've ever seen. Sad that more haven't watched it, but I have a feeling it'll be one of those shows talked about for a long while.

People will be coming back to it for years after, like The Wire. You just have to get over the unrelenting bleakness of Season 1.

Finally re-subscribed to HBO mostly just to be able to watch this final season. It didn't disappoint. Theroux and Coon acted the shit out of it, and Theroux made me laugh more than you would think. Especially things like the dick scanner in the penultimate episode.

I'm going to miss it, but I agree with H_B that it had run its course.

So, what does everyone think about the very end:

Spoiler

Last edited by Butter : 07-13-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #118
Butter
Coordinator

And holy shit, how did Michael McKean not get an Emmy nom for this season's BETTER CALL SAUL?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #119
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
And holy shit, how did Michael McKean not get an Emmy nom for this season's BETTER CALL SAUL?

Travesty.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #120
BishopMVP
Coordinator

HBO's The Defiant Ones was a pretty interesting doc. Also, Jimmy Iovine's unibrow made Anthony Davis' look like child's play.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #121
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I should create a 2018/2019 TV thread

'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Announce Next Project for HBO: 'Confederate'
Old 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #122
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I'm in. Love me some alternative history stuff. Man in the High Castle is a fun show.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #123
digamma
Torchbearer

I'll pitch a friend's show: I'm Sorry on TruTV. Three episodes in and I'm laughing my tail off.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #124
Groundhog
Coordinator

8 episodes in, and The Handmaid's Tale is pretty amazing thus far, definitely the best new show I've seen in awhile. I'm pretty much over the whole "parallel flashbacks" thing, but it works wonders here in fleshing out the characters and the post-crisis USA.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #125
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'll pitch a friend's show: I'm Sorry on TruTV. Three episodes in and I'm laughing my tail off.

I think they've done a decent enough job of trying to get eyeballs to this show, but it being on TruTV just seems odd.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #126
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime is pretty good. Bryan Cranston, Giovanni Ribisi, and Margo Martindale are all excellent and the rest of the cast holds there own well enough.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

I've heard good things and watched the first three episodes. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Good stuff!
Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #128
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's a "TV" show called Cobra Kai, with Johnny reopening the dojo in his 50s, written by the Hot Tub Time Machine guys, and there will be ten 30 minute episodes on YouTube Red. None of these things sound like good ideas. Also, Ralph Macchio is looking less and less like Daniel Son and more and more like Horshack Son.

https://hiddenremote.com/2017/08/07/...y-years-later/

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-07-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #129
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix...83261?mod=e2fb

Netflix signs Shonda Rhimes away from ABC. When do we get to the point that Netflix shows go into syndication on cable/MyTV types of channels?

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-14-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #130
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Tick is excellent. Amazon Prime isn't on par with Netflix, but they've got several great shows now.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #131
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
When do we get to the point that Netflix shows go into syndication on cable/MyTV types of channels?

Whenever one reaches the point of having enough episodes & it's profitable all the way around to do so.

When "seasons" are as short as they are, it's tough.

So far, only House of Cards and OitNB are even sniffing enough episodes for traditional syndication and even they would need 2-3 more seasons in the can before they got there. Everything thing else from Netflix is still 5 or more seasons away at least.

Thing is, the Netflix concept kind IS already syndication so what the traditional market would be for a lot of stuff is kind of questionable to me.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #132
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The Tick is excellent. Amazon Prime isn't on par with Netflix, but they've got several great shows now.

It really is. I loved the old cartoon and the Amazon series is fantastic. It definitely measures up and captures the essence of the cartoon. I really hope there'll be more seasons.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #133
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am amazed that it was Amazon and not Hulu that became the strong #2 for original programming from a streaming service. It appears also that Amazon is taking a slightly different approach to some of their original programming in that they have quite a bit of 6 episode seasons in addition to their 13 episode seasons (which seems to be the new standard for cable/streaming). Speaking of Netflix and Amazon, Bojack Horseman Season 4 and One Mississippi Season 2 come out today.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #134
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Netflix is moving to shorter seasons for certain things as well. Voltron season 3 was 7 episodes and season 4 will release in October as 6 more episodes. It looks like they're taking the approach of short storyline arcs, almost like comic books.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 PM   #135
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone watch The Orville tonight? It's Seth MacFarlane's live action Star Trek parody directed by the guy who played the clown in Seinfeld. Seth MacFarlane is a terrific voice actor but slightly above average live action actor. The show was kind of luke-warm but has enough ideas that will force me to watch the next one.

Also the lead actress graduated from high school five miles away from me and a year earlier, which makes her the biggest actress from Toledo since Tom Cruise's ex-wife!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #136
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I enjoyed The Orville, but it will need to get stronger to survive.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #137
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Man, BoJack season 4 (and I'm only halfway into it) is amazing stuff. I can't believe that an animated show about human-like animals may be one of the best things on television.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #138
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I enjoyed The Orville, but it will need to get stronger to survive.

Most of the characters are meant to be intentionally unlikable at first, and not take themselves seriously, so its hard to root for it when just in a couple weeks Star Trek comes back.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #139
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Orville got a rating of 2.8 in the 18-49 age range for the premier, equaling what This is Us did last year.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 PM   #140
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I thought The Orville was much better this week.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #141
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Not sure where they're going to go with it, but really enjoying the season premier of The Good Place.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #142
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Just when you think Hulu is on the upswing, their "updated" experience has left a ton of people unable to watch anything on any device other than a web browser. I cannot use my Roku to watch anything and the watchlist isn't even on it.

The "solution" provided by the infinitely wise helpdesk for Hulu is to install Hulu on a device you've never installed it on before. Yes, they're telling you they don't have a clue how to fix it on your existing devices, and that you should have a new one to put Hulu on if you want it to work properly and incorporate your watchlist.

How does this get past beta testing?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #143
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone been watching the Ken Burn's Vietnam series? It's pretty decent. I like how it does give some perspective from North Vietnamese soldiers. It seems like that's missing from most documentaries about 'nam.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #144
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Still lovin The Orville
Old 09-28-2017, 09:39 PM   #145
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

A Russian-English dictionary and a fidget spinner.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #146
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Yeah, the Orville has been really solid.

"It is my understanding that Lieutenant Malloy has complimented me."
Old 10-02-2017, 04:25 PM   #147
molson
General Manager

Nice to have Curb back.

I'm pretty sure based on the premiere that the show is past its prime, but I'm OK with that.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #148
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Almost halfway through the premier of The Inhumans and it's inhumane to expect people to watch this. Just so unbearably awful yet I want to finish the episode to see if they get things going the right direction.

Right now it's on par with a bad syndicated show from the 90s.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #149
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Almost halfway through the premier of The Inhumans and it's inhumane to expect people to watch this. Just so unbearably awful yet I want to finish the episode to see if they get things going the right direction.

Right now it's on par with a bad syndicated show from the 90s.

I'm about 15 minutes in-so hard to give a verdict on it. Was not a big fan of the story in the comics, so its really going to have to win me over.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #150
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Love the direction that The Good Place is going in. I was wondering how they could continue post-twist, but...

Spoiler

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote