Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-28-2016, 04:13 PM   #451
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

1. Indeed and they are a getting a ton of flack for it now. At the time (2010 was the vote), Putin was just another slightly power hungry President and nothing like the boogyman he is now.
2. They vote for the 2026 WC in 2020/1. There has been, in the past, some anti-American voting. Having a President who pisses off others, especially Muslims (who are in charge of quite a few countries) is a massive detriment, especially if the voting shifts from the ExCo, or whatever it is nowadays, to the Assembly.

Anyways, this has been a general concern in the US Soccer community. Gulati had to answer some questions on it a month ago and said Trump in the WH won't affect the bid... but did mention who is in the WH generally has an effect on voting.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #452
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not everything is a tinfoil conspiracy theory

In soccer, it just might be.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 PM   #453
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Seriously... FIFA is literally the super correct worldwide uber-powerful organization that conspiracy theorists struggle to make up (heck, look at their executive boardroom).
Old 12-28-2016, 07:04 PM   #454
MrBug708
Head Coach

I know but the spurned Hilary supporter thing is tired some
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You don't think a Canadian CONCACAF president would worry that Trump’s world unpopularity would harm a CONCACAF bid? I think you'd have to be foolish to discount that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-28-2016 at 08:05 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #456
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Interestingly, the CONCACAF President today pushed for a joint US/Mexico/Canada World Cup bid. In the past when joint bids were being suggested it was US & Mexico or US & Canada. All 3 is somewhat interesting. And, of course, I'm not too naive to realize that this is being proposed in light of who the US President is going to be next year.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup...ion-for-reform

I guess with a 48-team World Cup you have more games to fill, so this is the only way a three-country WC makes the remotest amount of sense and even then it seems a little insane.

Though if we did it, a final at Azteca would be most ideal.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-28-2016 at 11:08 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #457
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
You don't think a Canadian CONCACAF president would worry that Trump’s world unpopularity would harm a CONCACAF bid? I think you'd have to be foolish to discount that.

I know you would think it would be foolish. But you are looking for ghosts in the shadows
Old 12-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #458
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Because, you know, it isn't as if the President of US Soccer said that Trump as President may make it harder for the US to win a World Cup...

U.S. Soccer president: Donald Trump could hurt USA's chances for World Cup in 2026
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 AM   #459
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's almost as if Sunil is a Democrat and friends with the Clintons. Who was running for President against Trump? That's also ignoring the fact that I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of Gulati's mouth. Dude is probably as corrupt as hell and pretty clueless in the soccer world. One wonders how he still has a job but knowing important people is usually enough.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-29-2016 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #460
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is there any truth at all to anything in that post or are you just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks? (Gulati being corrupt is a new one)

Also, that's a textbook ad hominem.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #461
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whatever you want to believe man
Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #462
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So you put out a bunch of BS and then when called on it go whatever you want to believe... LOL! What a turd you are.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #463
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
FIFA research says 48-team World Cup is the best option for reform - ESPN FC

I guess with a 48-team World Cup you have more games to fill, so this is the only way a three-country WC makes the remotest amount of sense and even then it seems a little insane.

Though if we did it, a final at Azteca would be most ideal.

Rose Bowl, I'd imagine (just because of the altitude). I was reading a way it could work... 1/3rd of the group games in either country and then have the first few knockout rounds close to the group game area and then the semis in Mexico (Azteca) and Canada (BMO?) with the US as the final.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #464
MrBug708
Head Coach

No. It's mostly because I don't need to hear your tears about Hilary losing or conspiracy theories about Trump. I voted for neither, don't like Trump, but the it's comical to read some of your things. But since you wanted to call me names and dance around, I'll play.

It's almost as if Sunil is a Democrat and friends with the Clintons.

Google Bil Clinton and Sunil Gulati. Bill Clinton was even named Honorary Head of the bid committee. They have a friendship. I'm surprised this is even new to you.

Who was running for President against Trump?

Maybe you've got a thing for Jill Stein?

That's also ignoring the fact that I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of Gulati's mouth.

Not sure how you want me to defend my opinion on this. I'll move on. I'm sur eyou will focus on this.

Dude is probably as corrupt as hell and pretty clueless in the soccer world.

Maybe you have this sparkly image of Gulati as being one of the rising stars in soccer and feel like everything in FIFA is smooth and without corruption. Im not a big John Oliver fan, but watch his videos on FIFA. They just had a huge corruption investigation by the justice department. Me saying he's probably corrupt isn't a stretch. I'm not an informant though, so I really can't say for sure. I'd settle for a new guy in charge.

One wonders how he still has a job but knowing important people is usually enough.

I certainly said something that is a reach here. haha

I'll even continue. You know that article you posted? About how Gulati worried about the election influencing the bid? The statements were written in June. I'm surprised your conspiracy theory mind couldn't put 2 and 2 together. Since then, mind you, I'm using my Bill Clinton/Sunil Gulati search terms mentioned earlier, Gulati has since come out and said a 2026 bid won't be affect. Combined that with what Chief posted earlier about Trump not being around anyways, I'd say I hit it on the head about why you've started on this diatribe in the first place.

USSF's Sunil Gulati says Donald Trump's election won't affect 2026 World Cup bid - ESPN FC

SoccerAmerica - Sunil Gulati: 'We'll work with whoever is in White House' 11/11/2016

This turd doesn't need to continue the discussion anymore. The soapbox is yours. Feel free to attack me or ignore me all you want. I won't be making a reply. Maybe.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 12-29-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #465
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

A former US President who is beloved around the world is interested in being part of a World Cup bid. Of course you put him on the bid committee!!! The bid committee also includes Michael Bloomberg and Henry Kissinger, FWIW. What exactly do you think I'll find in googling them. Because I have and that's the only thing that comes up.

And linking Gulati with the FIFA corruption apparently shows that you don't really know the first thing about FIFA. Gulati can reasonably be called one of the bigger names in the anti-corruption group - repeated calling for releasing investigations to the public, standing up to Blatter.

And of course he's going to say he's going to work with whoever is President and the bids won't be affected, but it seems interesting that a three country joint bid was mentioned by CONCACAF's President now. And even in the ESPNFC article he talks about joint bids and listening about them. Why would a country like the US, which could easily host the tournament itself be listening to joint bids? Especially when the bidding happens in 2020 and the decision either made them or early 2021?

You can ad hominem all you want, but if US Soccer is listening to proposals for a joint bid, it seems evident that they think there is risk if they go it alone.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:57 AM   #466
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Report: RSL offers Landon Donovan 2 year DP deal. - RSL Soapbox

Soo... apparently Real Salt Lake offered Landon Donovan a 2-year DP deal to stay unretired for 2017.

LOLOLOL
Old 12-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #467
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

ManU got hosed on the non goal by Ibrahimovic in the 1st half. World class header from Negredo to set up the goal for Middlesbrough giving them the 1-0 lead with now 20 minutes to go for the upset at Old Trafford.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:34 AM   #468
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Report: RSL offers Landon Donovan 2 year DP deal. - RSL Soapbox

Soo... apparently Real Salt Lake offered Landon Donovan a 2-year DP deal to stay unretired for 2017.

LOLOLOL

He's still probably a very good to great player for MLS. It's not like his play had dropped off much in 2014 and he retired mainly because of national team issues. If nothing else, he keeps RSL from losing attendance early next year with Morales and Burrito gone.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #469
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
World class header from Negredo to set up the goal for Middlesbrough giving them the 1-0 lead with now 20 minutes to go for the upset at Old Trafford.

Negredo is class. A bit of an enigma, but total class. He has quite the highlight reel.

Dis cross with inside foot.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-31-2016 at 10:41 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #470
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
He's still probably a very good to great player for MLS. It's not like his play had dropped off much in 2014 and he retired mainly because of national team issues. If nothing else, he keeps RSL from losing attendance early next year with Morales and Burrito gone.

Makes total sense for RSL. Sell jerseys win or lose.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #471
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Makes total sense for RSL. Sell jerseys win or lose.

Small market team, and they'll still be a playoff contender.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:00 PM   #472
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Especially after replacing Morales with Rusnak.

Though there are reports that some Eastern Conference teams are looking into Donovan as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #473
MrBug708
Head Coach

Donovan not on the LAG is just going to be sad
Old 12-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #474
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Especially after replacing Morales with Rusnak.

Though there are reports that some Eastern Conference teams are looking into Donovan as well.

Is Rusnak finalized yet? I will give MLS teams credit for getting much better at finding young international players that actually contribute.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #475
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Donovan not on the LAG is just going to be sad

He should go back to SJE just for the fun of it.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:11 PM   #476
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good thing Swans wear black, will make it easier to mourn their demise as the year slogs on.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #477
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Negredo is class. A bit of an enigma, but total class. He has quite the highlight reel.

Dis cross with inside foot.

Guys like Negredo have helped Boro stay above the relegation zone, although they are following the usual pattern of putting up a strong backline and holding on for tight victories as best as they can. It will take another year or two up to start developing talent up front that has the ability to keep them up for a while.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 AM   #478
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Holy Giroud!
Old 01-02-2017, 05:55 PM   #479
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Holy Giroud!

That was unbelievable. I mean, we might have had the goal of the year on January 1.
The great part to me is watching the entire build up. He made a great back heel pass and then proceeds to sprint 50 yards and come up with that kick.

Simply sensational.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #480
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Rusnak finalized yet? I will give MLS teams credit for getting much better at finding young international players that actually contribute.

Nothing's final final yet, but expected to be in the next few days.

I think that MLS teams finally have enough money to spend more on their scouting, allowing them to find these players, and have a LOT of Targeted Allocation Money, allowing them to sign these slightly higher than max salary players without having to make them a DP (though I'm not sure if Rusnak is being signed as a DP or not).
Old 01-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #481
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In good news for US Soccer, Ethan Horvath has signed with Club Brugge in Belgium, which means he'll get better competition (he was in Norway with Molde FK) to hone his keeper skills.

The next US keeper with either be him or Bill Hamid, so a good move for Horvath and for the US team, I'd imagine.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:57 AM   #482
AlexB
Pro Starter

Based on how bad Brugges looked in the CL against Leicester, and bearing in mind how bad we've been this year, he'll get a lot of extra work as well as the better competition.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:37 AM   #483
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Nothing's final final yet, but expected to be in the next few days.

I think that MLS teams finally have enough money to spend more on their scouting, allowing them to find these players, and have a LOT of Targeted Allocation Money, allowing them to sign these slightly higher than max salary players without having to make them a DP (though I'm not sure if Rusnak is being signed as a DP or not).

Rusnak finalized. Him and Donovan wouldn't be a bad way to try and replace what they lost.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #484
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's official. 48 team (16 groups of 3) World Cup starting 2026. The FIFA Council unanimously voted on it (of course it's going to make FIFA boatloads of money, but I don't think it's a bad idea):

FIFA Media on Twitter: "The FIFA Council unanimously decided on a 48-team #WorldCup as of 2026:
16 groups of 3 teams. Details to follow after the meeting."
Old 01-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #485
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

will there be 4 games in the group stages then? cause only 2 seems real low
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM   #486
kingfc22
Head Coach

12 groups of 4 would have been the way to go if they were hell bent on expansion.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #487
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
will there be 4 games in the group stages then? cause only 2 seems real low

Nope, 2 I believe. That way you can say the champion plays the same number of total games (7) as they did before (so you can't be accused of overplaying some players). Top 2 in each group go forward into a 32 team knockout stage.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #488
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It's official. 48 team (16 groups of 3) World Cup starting 2026. The FIFA Council unanimously voted on it (of course it's going to make FIFA boatloads of money, but I don't think it's a bad idea):

FIFA Media on Twitter: "The FIFA Council unanimously decided on a 48-team #WorldCup as of 2026:
16 groups of 3 teams. Details to follow after the meeting."

Pumped. Happy for more countries who'll get a chance to participate.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #489
RainMaker
General Manager

I think this is dumb. Only playing 2 games makes the group stage even flukier and makes draws more advantageous. Also makes the WC draw more important. Eliminates all the drama from qualifying too.

I don't have an issue with expanding the tournament. Just think the format is terrible now.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #490
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the advantageousness of the draws is mitigated by the addition of 16 new teams. If the top 2 in the group go forward, it doesn't matter if you get drawn into a group with, say, Spain. Because the 3rd team is likely to be someone like New Zealand or Panama (depends on the seeding, of course).
Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #491
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

FIFA's Marco van Basten proposes changes to enhance soccer
Old 01-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #492
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think this is dumb. Only playing 2 games makes the group stage even flukier and makes draws more advantageous. Also makes the WC draw more important. Eliminates all the drama from qualifying too.

I don't have an issue with expanding the tournament. Just think the format is terrible now.
It's only the extra 16 teams that play just 2 games, these are the teams that increase from 0 games. Teams 1-32 play the same number of games.

Additionally, in the 32-team format (and before in the 16-team group phase format) it is possible to have a game involving one or two teams already eliminated after 2 losses, like Cameroon (vs Brazil) and Spain-Australia in 2014. Even worse is when a team already secure of group victory throws away a game, see: Brazil-Norway in 1998.

Although, it will still be possible to have a stalemate kind of situation like Euro 2004 had: Denmark 0-0 Italy, Italy 1-1 Sweden, Denmark 2-2 Sweden.

I wonder if they will reseed the top16 seeds into preset groups to avoid having the #1 and #2 in the FIFA Rankings play head-to-head in the round of 16, which in the 32-team format was already possibly if one of them finishes 2nd in their group (if they even get past the group stage, see Spain 2014).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #493
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rooney becomes Man U's all-time leading scorer after knocking in a free kick in injury time to salvage a tie with Stoke City.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #494
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Less than 2 minutes into the match against RB Leipzig, the Frankfurt GK handled the ball a good 5 yards outside the box and got a straight red. He just kind of looked around afterwards like he was in disbelief that he actually did it.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #495
miami_fan
Coordinator

sovereignstar has to be pissed. Andre Mariner should be suspended for two match weeks, That shit right there was brutal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 01-21-2017 at 02:16 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #496
Easy Mac

I'm a Man U fan, and even I was like, penalty.

De Jesus almost got an assist and a goal within 30 seconds.

Make that almost another goal 30 seconds later.

When City get in their flow, dear God they play some pretty football.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 01-21-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #497
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW full props to Sterling for not diving.

But next time, hit the fucking ground.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #498
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Most of England want Sterling to fail, just assume the referees are included. Such a joke.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:27 AM   #499
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most of England want Sterling to fail, just assume the referees are included. Such a joke.

That's exactly right
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #500
TroyF
Coordinator

At the end of the day, everything finally evened out in the Arsenal game.

First incident: Clear cut stonewall penalty on Burnley. Zero doubt, zero reason it wasn't called. MASSIVE screw up by every ref on the pitch.

Second incident: Clear red on Xhaka. I have severe reservations at this point if he has a future with the team. Simply horrible decision on his part. Clear red, no doubter.

Third incident: Penalty on Arsenal. Good call. Coquellin drilled him in the knee. Pathetic. Good call by the ref.

Fourth incident: Penalty on Burnley. Dreadful call. Clear offside by Kos. No way a penalty should have been given there. Just a horrible call.

So in the end: 2 correct calls (both in favor of the visitors). 2 horrible calls, both penalty decisions, one went for the Gunners, one went against them.

It all evened out. Arsene pushed the fourth ref and should get a touchline ban. Xaka is likely missing 4 games now. That probably isn't a bad thing at this point. He is quickly becoming one of my least favorite players on this team. Next time I fire up FM17, he's likely getting sold.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote