Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #201
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The nation she represents also stands for (and indeed enshrines as a right in its Constitution) the right to freedom of speech and expression. How do you square that, bob & panerd?

Well, the national team can protest her, by not having her as a member, correct? I think it's ludicrous.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:18 AM   #202
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The nation she represents also stands for (and indeed enshrines as a right in its Constitution) the right to freedom of speech and expression. How do you square that, bob & panerd?

I just wonder why in the world one would choose to play for the national team when they have so many issues with the country that it causes them to refuse to stand for its national anthem?

As for the protest itself good for Kaepernick for bringing more attention to an issue that numerous cell phone videos, protests, and even acts of violence couldn't. In the end nobody really cared when people were dying and businesses were being burned down but insult our special song...!!!!

Last edited by panerd : 09-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #203
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I just wonder why in the world one would choose to play for the national team when they have so many issues with the country that it causes them to refuse to stand for its national anthem?

Exactly this. If her issue was literally with the words of just that song, maybe. But this just seem like grandstanding to me because its fashionable or something. "Wait, you want me to do something that is really going to affect me. I'm not doing that."

Between this and her throwing a fit when the owner of that soccer club played the anthem before the players got out there (which was his right), it just looks like me too attention seeking and I'm glad US Soccer is calling her out on it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #204
Butter
Coordinator

They should just do what Clemson football does... the anthem is played before the athletes ever get on the field and has been for years.

Problem solved, no matter which side you are on.

Last edited by Butter : 09-16-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #205
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Well, the national team can protest her, by not having her as a member, correct? I think it's ludicrous.
+1 It wasn't exactly a secret that she would do this... if you care that much, don't invite her instead of releasing a statement during the game. But I also think US soccer is a corrupt and incompetent organization that for some reason no one wants to fight against, so maybe somebody should actually run against Gulati & his cronies next time.

As for the protest I support her right to do it, but I agree with the argument that if you feel that way you shouldn't accept an offer to represent the national team. Also, I realize there were other reasons this movement started now & I'm sure living in the Northampton bubble exacerbates this, but I feel 2016 in America is a weird time to start protesting the country's treatment of its LGBT(IQA?) community.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #206
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
They should just do what Clemson football does... the anthem is played before the athletes ever get on the field and has been for years.

Problem solved, no matter which side you are on.
Well, no, not if you're Megan Rapinoe. Megan Rapinoe calls Washington Spirit owner 'homophobic' amid anthem controversy | CSN Mid-Atlantic
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #207
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Thoughts on this?

U.S. Soccer Lashes Out Against Megan Rapinoe For Kneeling During Anthem

My thoughts - if she's playing for the nation, she should stand for the anthem. Otherwise, put your money where your mouth is and don't play for the nation anymore. I believe there is a difference between not standing when its your club team vs the national team.

I think its farcical that in a nation which is so vocal about being a bastion of freedom there is enforced a tyrannical attitude along the lines of any dictatorship that you have to adhere to a specific approach to 'Patriotism' or be ostracized ...

True freedom is allowing people to express their opinions and reserving your right to disagree with them, someone not behaving in the manner you prescribe during a national anthem is NOT something which should affect their selection to a sports team imho.

It is entirely possible to be passionate about your nation without agreeing with everything they undertake, I took part in the Poll Tax protests in England in the 80's, I speak vociferously against many things the English government do ... that doesn't mean I'm not patriotic, it just means I have an opinion.

I respect the sports people who are standing up for their rights and bringing up a greater item than the sports they represent through their actions - its good to see in my opinion and I'm sure they are aware of the risks they're taking through their action (to their careers and personal lives) ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #208
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I think its farcical that in a nation which is so vocal about being a bastion of freedom there is enforced a tyrannical attitude along the lines of any dictatorship that you have to adhere to a specific approach to 'Patriotism' or be ostracized.

So by that measure she has the right to protest but others don't have the right to state their distaste in her protest? No government is enforcing anything here.

Again, I find this completely different than the Kaepernick stuff due to her representation on the USWNT.

Last edited by bob : 09-16-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #209
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
So by that measure she has the right to protest but others don't have the right to state their distaste in her protest?

No one is saying this.

Quote:
No government is enforcing anything here.

But that's what some of you are proposing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Well, the national team can protest her, by not having her as a member, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

I wonder why in the world you can't understand how it's completely logical to both love a country for the freedoms it afford, and also exercise those freedoms at the same time.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #210
bob
College Starter

US Soccer != US Government
Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #211
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Going to try and get off that tired topic and on to a new one -

Anyone here have kids playing under the new US Soccer rules? Smaller fields, smaller team sizes, etc in an effort for kids to get more touches in the ball and keep them engaged in the game and all that?

My son had his first game (academy - U10) last week and I dont think this is what Tab Ramos had in mind. Small, narrow fields - I saw lots and lots of kickball. No buildup for an attack. No ball skills. Just kick the shit out of it and run after it. Knock whoever you need to out of the way. Shoot from anywhere. Hell, we had kids shooting at the goal off the kickoff.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:07 PM   #212
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
US Soccer != US Government

I don't see why a national sports side should have a political agenda which is what you're implying by stating that people have to adhere to specific actions in order to be eligible to play for them.

To play on a national soccer team according to FIFA you are required to be of the correct nationality and drug free - nothing is prescribed as far as a political viewpoint, reacting to a national anthem or such.

To enforce any further artificial requirements such as actions during an anthem is a slippery slope to enforce a specific viewpoint upon others and restrict their freedom of expression.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am totally with Marc. What's next, you have to express support for the current occupant of the White House?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #214
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Going to try and get off that tired topic and on to a new one -

Anyone here have kids playing under the new US Soccer rules? Smaller fields, smaller team sizes, etc in an effort for kids to get more touches in the ball and keep them engaged in the game and all that?

My son had his first game (academy - U10) last week and I dont think this is what Tab Ramos had in mind. Small, narrow fields - I saw lots and lots of kickball. No buildup for an attack. No ball skills. Just kick the shit out of it and run after it. Knock whoever you need to out of the way. Shoot from anywhere. Hell, we had kids shooting at the goal off the kickoff.

Anyone else have this kind of experience?

This is the exact experience I had with my son last year at U10. I know I saw more goals off of goal kicks than I saw in his previous years of playing. It will be interesting to see if things play out the same way this year. It may be a case where there is a greater emphasis of teaching the kids how to control the ball. Last year, the constant pressure of the opponent being one or two feet away from them cause most of the kids to just boot it long and chase it down.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #215
miami_fan
Coordinator

City look absolutely terrifying under Pep.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #216
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
City look absolutely terrifying under Pep.

Yeah, the guy is an amazing coach. Though he does have a tendency to break things that are working by going overboard in big matches. But over a 38 games season i don´t think there is a better coach than him.

Dortmund with another 6-0, league game against Darmstadt (admittedly relegation candidate No1). while having 80% possession Pulisic a goal and 2 assists I hope he signs a loooong extension next week after his Birthday.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #217
miami_fan
Coordinator

United fans have to be pissed at Van Gaal for being the first manager to lose to Watford in 3 decades. This kind of BS would never happen under a quality manager. Look at the talent on that roster.

Wait...what?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #218
AlexB
Pro Starter

Didn't realise that we have made sure it's been a calendar year unbeaten at the KP in the PL by beating Burnley. That's big league stuff
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #219
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sassuolo is having a heck of a start to the year.

Swansea is looking worse than I was hoping and just really hoping they can somehow dodge relegation. I won't switch teams at this point, I'm on board no matter what, but..ugh.

Timbers should secure a playoff spot and then it's a crapshoot after that. But given how they won last year, I'd doubt a repeat is in order.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Timbers should secure a playoff spot and then it's a crapshoot after that. But given how they won last year, I'd doubt a repeat is in order.

Well, they are still close to the line, so they may have a fight for the final Western Conference spot. And, somehow, someway, the Sounders are actually in the mix... 5 points off from Sporting KC (who sit in 6th) and 6 from the Timbers AND 2 games in hand?

Oh, and Landon Donovan managed to score to salvage a point for the Galaxy against Sporting KC this weekend... just unreal.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:12 PM   #221
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Swansea is looking worse than I was hoping and just really hoping they can somehow dodge relegation. I won't switch teams at this point, I'm on board no matter what, but..ugh.

Not too worried yet, even with this brutal stretch of games. Have to get Borja in there ASAP though, Llorente just isn't a good fit for what they seem to want to do.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #222
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pep just laid the smackdown on Yaya and his agent. Don't think he will be playing any senior matches for City again.

#mancrushonpep

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 09-20-2016 at 10:39 AM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #223
britrock88
Pro Starter

Stoke is such garbage.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 AM   #224
AlexB
Pro Starter

Well, this is embarrassing.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #225
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It may be midnight Leicesterella.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:49 AM   #226
TroyF
Coordinator

If Liverpool want, they could probably score about 30 goals today. I can't believe this thing is only 3-0.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #227
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
If Liverpool want, they could probably score about 30 goals today. I can't believe this thing is only 3-0.

I can't believe Hull got one.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #228
Critch
lolzcat

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #229
bhlloy
Coordinator

Have to think Conte will have a serious clear out of the defense in the transfer window. They are dire.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:22 PM   #230
TroyF
Coordinator

Finally, a Chelsea game where the ref isn't convinced the giant piece of human garbage isn't some pretty little flower who can do no wrong. No ridiculous sending offs on our side or missed reds on theirs. For so many years, Chelsea have been the better team. No question on it. But they've gotten decision after decision after decision that went their way when these two teams have played.

Not today. FU Costa. FU. About damned time.

Note: The Orc actually "played" well. He usually does play well. But his shenanigans where not given credence. Thank you Mr. Ref.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #231
miami_fan
Coordinator

Who has replaced Big Sam as the manager who will guarantee survival in the EPL? I know Pulis has the same rep but he has a job. Bilic may have already been fired if that person were available.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #232
Critch
lolzcat

Steve Bruce is sitting at home, but seems like Stoke might be first in line for him.

Too early to give up on Bilic anyway, for me. Although they were crap this morning.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #233
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

West Ham really does look like a completely different team this year. It's like night and day and I'm really not sure why.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #234
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

See? They ruined Barbie's special moment, so she threw a tantrum. I can respect Kaepernick for the way he's handled his protest, but Rapinoe is all about Rapinoe, methinks ...
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #235
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Strong take, booradley.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's Official! Former Argentina and Barcelona manager, Gerardo "Tata" Martino is Atlanta United FC's first manager:

Atlanta United FC on Twitter: "Introducing our new head coach! #ATLUTD https://t.co/vxAjloUXiQ"
Old 09-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #237
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

He's no Jason Kreis.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #238
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
He's no Jason Kreis.

Thank God .

---

So, no talk on the sting on Sam Allardyce? Well, at least he'll be undefeated with the national team before he's fired (and the Telegraph has MORE to come on other managers, fun!)...

Exclusive investigation: England manager Sam Allardyce for sale
Old 09-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #239
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Thank God .

---

So, no talk on the sting on Sam Allardyce? Well, at least he'll be undefeated with the national team before he's fired (and the Telegraph has MORE to come on other managers, fun!)...

Exclusive investigation: England manager Sam Allardyce for sale

Sam Allardyce out as England manager following undercover sting - ESPN FC

So does Sunderland fire Moyes and bring back Sam?
Old 09-27-2016, 02:26 PM   #240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

HA! Though I think Big Sam is untouchable for any Premier League side for at least a year.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #241
miami_fan
Coordinator

How much does a PL team costs itself by going down?

How much would a club like Aston Villa want to go back up?

If the only thing a club will have to deal with is embarrassment, as much as I hate to admit it or see it, Sam will be on the touch lines by January.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #242
whomario
Pro Starter

What an awesome game between Dortmund and Real Dortmund absolutely took it to Real with great energy and spirited play (20-13 shots, 60% possession and 89% passing accuracy). Pulisic assisted the late equalizer by Schürrle

Real playing Morata one minute and only subbing twice is ludicrous for a club spending billions for their roster. I mean, Isco and Pepe spent all game on the bench.

Also, Slimani really enjoys playing against Porto (earned his Dragon Slayer nickname from those games and now scored for Leicester against them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
How much does a PL team costs itself by going down?

How much would a club like Aston Villa want to go back up?

If the only thing a club will have to deal with is embarrassment, as much as I hate to admit it or see it, Sam will be on the touch lines by January.

Try sth between "wow, that´s a shitload" and "holy hell, is there that much money in the world"

There is a parachute payment to soften the fall (64 mio pounds over 4 years) and on the face money in the championship is actually on par with what many first division clubs in good leagues (say France or Portugal) get, but compared to the BPL and considering you still have big contracts on the books it is baaaad to go down.

I can´t find a real source quickly right now, but my best guesstimate is they get like 1/4 of the money the last placed PL team gets.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #243
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For those who follow Italian football: Francesco Totti at 40: the eternal man | Football | The Guardian
Old 10-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #244
miami_fan
Coordinator

If I told you that two English managers would be caught on film discussing underhandedness, how far would it have taken you to get to Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp?

I would love to be in the room with Big Sam when someone told him that the new English manager was... Arsene Wenger.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #245
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Wow! This first half of Tottenham-City has been 100 mph. I don't see them keeping up this pace, but the speed has been incredible to watch.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #246
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Former USMNT boss Bob Bradley named Swansea City’s new manager – ProSoccerTalk
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #247
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm excited that Bob is in the Premier League. I think he'll do well.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #248
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Can he manage a possession based team or are they changing philosophy?
Old 10-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #249
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's great news to have an American manager in the EPL.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #250
Critch
lolzcat

It's good that failing with Egypt, being ok in Norway. then missing promotion last year before a poor start this year in the French Second Division didnt put the American owners off hiring the American coach.