Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #251
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

'Failing' with Egypt? He took a national team that couldn't play any games at home because of domestic turmoil and had them one game of the World Cup.

Being 'ok' in Norway?! He took a small team that everyone picked for relegation and led them to Europa League. After he left they are headed for relegation again.

WTF?
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #252
Critch
lolzcat

Yes, he failed with Egypt. He took one of the most talented teams in Africa (African Champions three times in a row from 2006 to 2010) and failed to qualify for either the African Cup of Nations or the World Cup, then they fired him.

And by Norwegian standards Stabaeck arent a small team, constant euro qualifiers in the 2000s, champions and cup winners. Ronnie Delia took a proper small team into the Norwegian top division and won it, real FM career stuff, but didnt get a sniff of an EPL job.

Bradley has done ok, but he got the Swansea job because he sells shirts in the US, not on record.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #253
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Perhaps he'll attract a little more attention in Swansea from the 8 person American soccer media, but I can assure you that Bob Bradley is not directly influencing any jersey sale numbers in the US.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:25 AM   #254
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Yes, he failed with Egypt. He took one of the most talented teams in Africa (African Champions three times in a row from 2006 to 2010) and failed to qualify for either the African Cup of Nations or the World Cup, then they fired him.

You do realize what was going on with an in Egypt when Bradley took over the team, right? Complete with the suspension of the Egyptian Premier League during the violence.

Quote:
And by Norwegian standards Stabaeck arent a small team, constant euro qualifiers in the 2000s, champions and cup winners. Ronnie Delia took a proper small team into the Norwegian top division and won it, real FM career stuff, but didnt get a sniff of an EPL job.

In the late 2000s they may have been successful (where they had their one and only Tippeligaen championship, but then dropped pretty badly. They also won the cup only in 1998, but if you need to ludicrously pump up Stabaeck to make Bradley look worse, go ahead.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #255
Critch
lolzcat

Yes, I know what was going on in Egypt. Fact still remains he took one of the most talented teams in Africa (three time African champions, players mainly based in Europe) and failed to qualify for both the African Cup of Nations and the World Cup. Incidentally saying they couldnt play at home because of turmoil isnt really true, they played all their qualifiers in Egypt.

Go and have a look at Stabaek's record on wiki, they've been top 5 in the league in 12 out the last 20 seasons. Hardly the tiny little team than he worked wonders getting to third.

I'm not saying Bradley is a bad coach, it seems Swansea like a manager in a more US Head Coach style while keeping all the GMing in-house, and I think Swansea are underperforming and will probably improve. I'm just saying that he wouldnt have got the job if he wasnt American. Cant think of another EPL manager who got a job with no EPL experience or experience managing a top club.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM   #256
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We're going to completely disagree about Egypt, which I thought was a phenomenal job - there was even a documentary made about Bradley called "American Pharaoh" about that period.

But have you looked at Stabaek's recent record? The last time they were in the Top 3 was in 2009. And in the interim got themselves relegated. 5 years with bad results and then Bradley took them back to 3rd. Where are they now after Bradley you may ask... oh look, 3rd from the bottom. In addition, Stabaek's first season in the top division of Norway was 1995 (they were founded in 1912) and their 7,000 seater stadium is one of the smaller ones in the top flight (I think it's 4th from the bottom).
Old 10-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #257
miami_fan
Coordinator

http://www.football365.com/news/medi...oor-ryan-giggs

I would probably have gone with Steve Bruce myself but I don't see Bradley as the worst appointment ever as the panel made it sound on this podcast this morning.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #258
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't get the Ryan Giggs is more qualified nonsense. Based on what? Being a great player? Those skills aren't necessarily transferable.

Steve Bruce likely would have been a decent hire, but apparently Bradley wowed the Chairman (a Welsh man, not an American) in the interviews.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #259
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Why is Chris Wondolowski on the roster for these friendlies, let alone the field?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #260
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It is definitely strange, especially when you are trying to develop younger players... but at least he scored .
Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 AM   #261
PilotMan
Head Coach

Look what showed up in my email this morning!!

Dear USA vs. Mexico Ticket Applicant:
Congratulations! Your ticket application for the U.S. Men's National Team's 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Mexico, presented by AT&T, has been selected for fulfillment in The American Outlaws section. The game will take place on Nov. 11 at MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio (kickoff time TBD). Your exact seat location will be disclosed and your payment card will be charged in the coming days.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #262
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Woo!! Of course this means you need to hold up a FOFC Tifo so we can see you on TV .
Old 10-12-2016, 04:02 PM   #263
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Look what showed up in my email this morning!!

Dear USA vs. Mexico Ticket Applicant:
Congratulations! Your ticket application for the U.S. Men's National Team's 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Mexico, presented by AT&T, has been selected for fulfillment in The American Outlaws section. The game will take place on Nov. 11 at MAPFRE Stadium in Columbus, Ohio (kickoff time TBD). Your exact seat location will be disclosed and your payment card will be charged in the coming days.

now we know who to blame if we dont win Dos a Cero
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM   #264
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I know it's part of the international soccer ethos to vehemently argue every call you can, but someone needs to let the Man City schleps know that you cannot argue your goalie getting a red for handling a ball 10 yards outside the box.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #265
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Fucking coworker spoiled the City match result. Maybe for the better, though it sounds like the scoreline flattered Barca a bit.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #266
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Fucking coworker spoiled the City match result. Maybe for the better, though it sounds like the scoreline flattered Barca a bit.

It was a 1-0 match, with some great back and forth, until the goalie brain fart.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #267
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Dortmund doesn't seem to understand that just because their opponent is wearing read, that doesn't mean it's Bayern and they have to play like crap.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #268
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Pulisic off the bench for the goal to tie it at 3-3 in the 91st minute.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #269
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Pulisic off the bench for the goal to tie it at 3-3 in the 91st minute.
Plus the assist (generous assist, but run at defenders & create chances, good things happen!) So happy he stayed at Dortmund and didn't make the classic young American mistake of chasing EPL glory.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 AM   #270
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm a Swansea supporter for the past few years now and the Bradley thing to me isn't surprising, but I just figure when we get relegated, he'll be the right coach for the Championship if we're gonna suck anyway.

Hoffenheim is playing great and hanging out near the top of the Bundesliga which is awesome.

Pulisic is a beast. Where can clone a few of him?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #271
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Plus the assist (generous assist, but run at defenders & create chances, good things happen!) So happy he stayed at Dortmund and didn't make the classic young American mistake of chasing EPL glory.

Yeah, this times a million. It seems that the Bundesliga seems much better for developing young Americans than the EPL (It seems too often that Americans face a bigger uphill climb in England before they can start regularly - it seems to be slightly reversing itself with Geoff Cameron and DeAndre Yedlin, though Yedlin is currently in the Championship with Newcastle).
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #272
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, this times a million. It seems that the Bundesliga seems much better for developing young Americans than the EPL (It seems too often that Americans face a bigger uphill climb in England before they can start regularly - it seems to be slightly reversing itself with Geoff Cameron and DeAndre Yedlin, though Yedlin is currently in the Championship with Newcastle).

I think the Bundesliga is more adept at developing young talent in general, likely due to the national emphasis on it. I would much rather see the next US teen sensations go there than any of the other top Euro leagues.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #273
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This is more esoteric for the European fans, but there is some major stuff going down in the lower leagues in the US. Tampa Bay Rowdies just announced they are leaving the NASL (D2 for what that means in the US soccer landscape) for USL (D3, who want to be D2), which is highly significant. Not just because the NASL is losing teams quickly and not making a ton of money, but because the Rowdies, along with the New York Cosmos, are the most famous of NASL teams. It'd be similar to if Celtic announced it was leaving the Scottish Premier League.

So with this news and news that later this week the Ottawa Fury are leaving the NASL for the USL, it appears the NASL, with, what 8 teams now, is dead. It'll likely accelerate other teams like Indy Eleven and FC Edmonton exploring leaving. It bolsters the USL and their attempts to be D2.

It seems like that the USL will try to get to 40 teams and then either do a 20 team East and 20 team West league (which is basically what they have now with less teams) or have a USL 1 and USL 2, with potential for pro/reg in that limited league (with the MLS owned teams unable to be promoted). The issues with the later option is that travel costs would be significant for teams if its a national wide league. The reason USL has East and West conferences where teams don't play each other between conferences is due to travel money concerns.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #274
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
This is more esoteric for the European fans, but there is some major stuff going down in the lower leagues in the US. Tampa Bay Rowdies just announced they are leaving the NASL (D2 for what that means in the US soccer landscape) for USL (D3, who want to be D2), which is highly significant. Not just because the NASL is losing teams quickly and not making a ton of money, but because the Rowdies, along with the New York Cosmos, are the most famous of NASL teams. It'd be similar to if Celtic announced it was leaving the Scottish Premier League.

So with this news and news that later this week the Ottawa Fury are leaving the NASL for the USL, it appears the NASL, with, what 8 teams now, is dead. It'll likely accelerate other teams like Indy Eleven and FC Edmonton exploring leaving. It bolsters the USL and their attempts to be D2.

It seems like that the USL will try to get to 40 teams and then either do a 20 team East and 20 team West league (which is basically what they have now with less teams) or have a USL 1 and USL 2, with potential for pro/reg in that limited league (with the MLS owned teams unable to be promoted). The issues with the later option is that travel costs would be significant for teams if its a national wide league. The reason USL has East and West conferences where teams don't play each other between conferences is due to travel money concerns.

The sad part is that the NASL had the offer on the table to play the development role that USL is now playing. Commissioner Downs was on board, as were several teams, but the NeoCosmos talked everyone into sticking around and replacing Downs with Bill Peterson who has been part of one losing league after another (NFL Europa, UFL) to be their figurehead. They literally have tried to sell the idea of being a competing D1 against MLS. The on field product has been good, and some of the teams have been doing really well on the attendance front. Losing San Antonio last year was the beginning of the end. It's a shame as they had finally gotten national TV with CBSSN. Hopefully the stable remaining franchises will make the USL move and it will hit D2 qualifications soon.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:14 PM   #275
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, the Ottawa Fury announcement was actually for today as well - just a few hours after the Tampa Bay Rowdies announcement. USL is really going for the throat.

Quote:
The sad part is that the NASL had the offer on the table to play the development role that USL is now playing. Commissioner Downs was on board, as were several teams, but the NeoCosmos talked everyone into sticking around and replacing Downs with Bill Peterson who has been part of one losing league after another (NFL Europa, UFL) to be their figurehead. They literally have tried to sell the idea of being a competing D1 against MLS. The on field product has been good, and some of the teams have been doing really well on the attendance front. Losing San Antonio last year was the beginning of the end. It's a shame as they had finally gotten national TV with CBSSN. Hopefully the stable remaining franchises will make the USL move and it will hit D2 qualifications soon.

Yep. I mean the NASL could have had a good working relationship with MLS. And then the Cosmos ruined everything for the NASL... again (well the first time wasn't totally their fault, just lack of long term thinking). Once the NASL tried to set itself up as an adversarial league to MLS, the USL, very smartly, jumped in to fill that partnership role. Ironically, because USL was a complete mess before that, while NASL was relatively stable.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 PM   #276
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, also this happened:

MLS sets average attendance record in 2016 as Seattle Sounders lead all clubs - ESPN FC

Quote:
With the regular season now complete, data provided by MLS revealed an average attendance of 21,692 fans per game in 2016, just beating out the mark of 21,558 set in 2015.

It marked the third consecutive season that the attendance record had been broken, and the second season in a row that the average attendance exceeded 21,000 fans per game. MLS has seen its attendance increase 40 percent from 2006, when its average attendance was 15,504.

MLS is now the sixth-best attended soccer league in the world, behind the German Bundesliga, English Premier League, Spain's La Liga, Mexico's Liga MX, and the Chinese Super League.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #277
cougarfreak
College Starter

And FC Cincinnati averaged 17,200in their inaugural season in the USL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #278
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
And FC Cincinnati averaged 17,200in their inaugural season in the USL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their median was nearly 100 higher than their average.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:09 PM   #279
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So apparently the MLS has had a banner year. Not just the highest attendance ever, but also a massive uptick in television viewers (still not great, mind) and they are seemingly killing it on social media:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markjbur.../#4ddc50f35677

Quote:
MLS followers across its social platforms have increased 95 percent in the past year while almost 690% percent since 2013.

Quote:
According to MLS, 55 percent of its viewership this year was aged 18-49, which is the highest percentage of any North American sports league. As Handler explained, the conversation with network executives at media companies like FOX, ESPN and Univision — all league partners in 2016 — more times than not revolves around that coveted demographic. For MLS to see such a high statistic in its sophomore year with the networks is a sign that “things are definitely clicking,” Handler said.

He pointed out that to date, the 2016 season has delivered 25.7 million gross viewership, which is an eight percent uptick from 2015. Additionally, two matches netted a million viewers this season, too.

Quote:
Forbes recently talked with Handler to discuss all things MLS, where now the average club is valued at $185 million, an 18 percent increase from 2015. When the first valuations were released in 2008, the average club was listed at just $37 million, a 400 percent spike.

Great news!
Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #280
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I just wish they'd get rid of the Chicago Fire ownership who are basically only holding on to the franchise for the huge profit they're going to make at the eventual flip.

Every season ticket holder I know has left to go support other local soccer teams (Red Stars) because of the lack of direction and effort from the higher ups. Chicago loves it's soccer, they would rabidly support a good team.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #281
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Great article on 538 today. I knew somewhat about how Reep screwed up the game from "Inverting the Pyramid" (MUCH recommended):

How One Man’s Bad Math Helped Ruin Decades Of English Soccer | FiveThirtyEight
Quote:
In the latest installment in our documentary podcast series Ahead Of Their Time, we look at Charles Reep, the father of soccer analytics — and a guy who made one big, glaring mistake that changed the course of English soccer for the worse. But in order to arrive at his very wrong conclusion, he first had to radically transform the way people thought about consuming a soccer match.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #282
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Vermes didn't pull any punches on this post-game conference. If this was a FM game, he just pushed every critical response in the entire press conference.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #283
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well it was a terrible call.

I think next year is when MLS is going one of the pilot leagues in FIFA's instant replay trial. Hopefully it can deal with things like this (quickly, of course)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:27 PM   #284
MrBug708
Head Coach

Zaha goes down way to easy because he's so thin, but it's a shame because the refs just ignore every time he goes down, whether it's valid or not
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #285
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's not often that Barca gets manhandled like this. Man City has been dominant for a good 30 minutes here.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #286
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
It's not often that Barca gets manhandled like this. Man City has been dominant for a good 30 minutes here.
Despite that a draw would have pulled Barcelona through to the knockout stages, the early 1-0 lead meant Manchester City would have to win 6-1 or better to get the head-to-head tie-breaker. All in all, Barcelona was already 9 toes into the next round, while Man. City needed every single one of those 3 points to stay ahead of BMg and Celtic.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #287
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Great performance and it happened despite the ref giving Sterling a yellow for a dive instead of a stonewall penalty in the opening minutes. Seemed like it was going to be them against the world if the ref wasn't going to be at his best.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-01-2016 at 08:20 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #288
TroyF
Coordinator

If you haven't seen the goal Ozil scored yesterday to win the game for Arsenal, I highly recommend you find it. I watched it live, what an amazing, amazing goal.

City were royally screwed on that Sterling call yesterday. Glad it didn't make a difference in the game.

https://streamable.com/7vow

Last edited by TroyF : 11-02-2016 at 10:11 AM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #289
TroyF
Coordinator

Will FIFA and the MLS EVER end this asinine rule that if a match official sees something, no action can be taken afterwards?

Instead of pretending nothing happened and moving on, it should create double suspensions: The player for being an idiot and the ref for not taking action on an obvious incident.

This past week we have both Villa and Ibra escaping punishment for violent conduct because the refs "saw what they did and didn't take action" If the ref saw a violent kick to the back for someones legs and a throat grab and chose not to take action, they should probably lose their jobs.

Either they didn't see it fully or they are incompetent. There really isn't another option here.

Sorry for the rant, but this rule pisses me off so much.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #290
AlexB
Pro Starter

Yeah, it, and many other rules in the game are just dumb. Couldn't agree with your rant more, but am sufficiently tired of it to be angry any more
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #291
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is still early, but is it possible that Diego Costa has removed all of the drug that is José Mourinho out of his system and is back to being the player he was at Athletico Madrid?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #292
Critch
lolzcat

East Kilbride FC, Scottish Lowlands League (5th level) team, won their 27th competitive game in a row today, apparently beating the world record.

Ajax (previous holders of the record, 26 games won in the early 70s) sent their TV station to cover it, and presented the team with 27 crates of Dutch lager to celebrate. That was nice of them.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #293
PilotMan
Head Coach

Neither Beckerman nor Wondo on the team this week. That has to be a plus.

I'm so excited for the game this week. Going up the night before to party with AO and then tailgate before the game on Friday.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #294
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Neither Beckerman nor Wondo on the team this week. That has to be a plus.

But no Cameron either... and maybe no Morris as well .

I'm guessing Omar Gonzales or Matt Besler may join John Brooks in Central Defense?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #295
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently Alan Gordon has been called up to replace Jordan Morris... WTF?
Old 11-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #296
kingfc22
Head Coach

How is Tim Chandler starting for us???
Old 11-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #297
MrBug708
Head Coach

CP is the 10.

We are going to go balls to the wall attacking in this match
Old 11-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #298
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bradley sucks tonight

Fire Jurgy
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #299
kingfc22
Head Coach

US getting beat all over the field. Should be 3-0 Mexico right now.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 11-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #300
MrBug708
Head Coach

Howard hurt.