Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #251
Jas_lov
College Starter

The Yankees are a lot more fun to watch this year now that they've injected some youth into their lineup. They've reversed their record from last year, from 9-17 to 17-9 and will get Gary Sanchez back this weekend. Nice mix of youth and veterans and not so dependent on left handed hitters. Aaron Judge looks like the frontrunner for ROY and his at bats have become must see TV. Can't wait to see a Judge-Stanton battle in the HR derby.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #252
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I give Holbrook a pass. I am not sure if the type of pitch should be the determining factor of intent. Didn't a Brewers pitcher accidentally break Giancarlo Stanton's face with a fastball? At this point, much like PEDs, players receive no benefit of the doubt based on all the BS that has happened in the past. If a player is hit by a pitch, my immediate reaction is that it was intentional.

Terrible, terrible take. You actually proved the point with the Stanton example. He was hit a by a fastball, which is much easier to control and a much higher velocity pitch.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #253
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The Yankees are a lot more fun to watch this year now that they've injected some youth into their lineup. They've reversed their record from last year, from 9-17 to 17-9 and will get Gary Sanchez back this weekend. Nice mix of youth and veterans and not so dependent on left handed hitters. Aaron Judge looks like the frontrunner for ROY and his at bats have become must see TV. Can't wait to see a Judge-Stanton battle in the HR derby.

Judge is such a large guy. Hopefully Bird can start hitting as well. Gotta say I enjoy the team a lot as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #254
stevew
Hall Of Famer

AL teams should be warned about throwing at someone and then the following infraction should result in both the pitcher ejection AND the loss of the Designated Hitter spot for at least a game (increasing based on severity and amount of infractions)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If a player is hit by a pitch, my immediate reaction is that it was intentional.

I think you're badly overestimating the capabilities of what passes for major league pitching these days.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #256
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think you're badly overestimating the capabilities of what passes for major league pitching these days.

Possible if not probable. Or maybe I am just horrible at judging intent.

I am sure that someone else will get hit and everyone will lose their collective minds that it was definitely intentional and I may think the pitcher just sucked. Oh well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #257
Easy Mac

Not MLB, but got to see Tebow play yesterday while I was visiting some family. He went 1-2 with a single, K, and 2 walks. Limited scouting report was he looked bad in his first at bat when was was caught looking. He managed a dribbler foul and an run of the mill single between 1st and 2nd. He did score twice, but never advanced more than 1 base at a time. I would classify his running as lumbering and he took late breaks on contact. In one instance it was a 3-2 count with 2 outs and he didn't break on the pitch and even took him time to start on the crack of the bat. He DH'd, so I couldn't get a look at his arm.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #258
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
AL teams should be warned about throwing at someone and then the following infraction should result in both the pitcher ejection AND the loss of the Designated Hitter spot for at least a game (increasing based on severity and amount of infractions)

Loss of DH is actually a pretty cool idea. I would support that rule change.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:15 AM   #259
stevew
Hall Of Famer

First of all, I can't deal with the change of calling it The 10 day DL. This triggers me for some reason.

And secondly, this season is turning into a bloodbath shit-show of a season for pitching injuries across the league. Jameson Taillon has freaking cancer FFS. Every day I look at the list and it's like, "oh Zach Britton is out for 6 weeks.". "Noah Snyderrgarrd is out indefinitely.". "Cole Hamels expected to miss a month.". Can we as fans not have nice things?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #260
Logan
Head Coach

If you saw this piece of the box score, would you set the innings over/under at 13.5? Rain delays at 2.5?

No just Terry Fucking Collins.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #261
MrBug708
Head Coach

Cody Bellinger might be good
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:08 PM   #262
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Cody Bellinger might be good

He's got 6 right now, and I still can't figure out how Joc only has 1.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #263
MrBug708
Head Coach

DL? Shoot, Roles had like 5 and will probably still finish with more than AGon

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-10-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #264
PilotMan
Head Coach

At this rate Chris Taylor will have more than AGon.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If you saw this piece of the box score, would you set the innings over/under at 13.5? Rain delays at 2.5?

No just Terry Fucking Collins.

I can't watch games like that. Too many pitching changes are obnoxious and that takes the cake
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #266
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This year's Rangers team is a yo-yo. They'll win 4 in row, lose four in a row, win 5 in a row. Had back to back wins where they were down by 1 run in the bottom of the ninth, and in both games won with walk-off 3 run homers.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #267
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Byron Buxton. Good lord.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-14-2017 at 02:31 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #268
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

It just occurred to me that the Giants basically got rid of most of their Latin players in the off season. Their team now is almost all white. It seems the average is about 6-8 non-us born players, giants are at 1 starter, 1 backup and 1 utility.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #269
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Dodgers are essentially using the 10 day DL as a way to "rest" pitchers. I think every starter but Kershaw has seen time on the list. I'm assuming MLB will eventually address the usage of it, but for now, we are avoiding 25 man roster crunches.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #270
Easy Mac

Bryce Harper just had the worst helmet throw in the history of helmet throws.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #271
Suicane75
Coordinator

If baseball had a "no 3rd man" rule, I think Bryce Harper might be in the hospital right now.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 PM   #272
JPhillips
General Manager

The Blue Jays are slapping some cruel and unusual on the Reds.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:48 AM   #273
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is the Giants catcher(Posey?) standing there as Harper goes to tee off on the pitcher? Thought catchers were supposed to stop that sort of thing?
Old 05-30-2017, 02:30 AM   #274
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why is the Giants catcher(Posey?) standing there as Harper goes to tee off on the pitcher? Thought catchers were supposed to stop that sort of thing?

Yea, I was listening to some radio talk hosts talk about that as I was driving around. Everyone seems to be asking that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM   #275
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's not the first time he's stayed out of a fracas, though usually he makes at least a semblance of being around. Might be that he doesn't want to support a teammate who is very, very obviously nursing and acting upon a private grudge.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #276
Logan
Head Coach

I think a lot of the beanball/unwritten rule stuff is dumb and unnecessary but what Posey did is a huge problem for me. You don't need to be the one throwing punches but you need to stick with your teammates.

Last edited by Logan : 05-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #277
Easy Mac

Obviously you can only tell so much, but it looked like Posey rolled his head as soon as Harper got it as if to say, dammit, not this again.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #278
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The unwritten rules of waiting several years to throw a baseball at Bryce Harper.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:22 AM   #279
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I can see Posey being like, WTF just happened here. Strickland, you idiot, you have to see this through on your own.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #280
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Turns out posey is on strict orders to not intervene in fights (screws and plates in his ankle). Even the corner infielders are told posey won't be coming out so it's your job - thus Morse crashing in. Also. If you watch Bochy, he goes right to buster and "holds" him back.
Given that it took 4 players to carry hunter out, and is very good friends with posey, it seems like all this planned. Problem is posey has to wear it, which is lame. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a statement from management about their directive

Last edited by AENeuman : 05-30-2017 at 11:48 AM.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #281
Atocep
Coordinator

You hit 2 Homer's off of me 3 years ago, I'm still pissed so I throw at you, and then get even more pissed that you have the audacity to get pissed at me.

I love baseball, but the unwritten rules at the mlb level are some of the stupidest shit in sports.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #282
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
You hit 2 Homer's off of me 3 years ago, I'm still pissed so I throw at you, and then get even more pissed that you have the audacity to get pissed at me.

I love baseball, but the unwritten rules at the mlb level are some of the stupidest shit in sports.

The unwritten rules are mostly stupid in baseball, I agree.

That said, I think the direction of your point is mis-aimed. In this case, it's not the rules that is stupid, but Strickland's opinion/use of them.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #283
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That one was really idiotic. Not even policing the game but just being a bitch.

With that said; would have been curious how that one on one would have ended. I think that pitcher would have f'd Harper up big time. He landed a couple early shots that probably made Harper hope his teammates got there soon.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #284
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Byron Buxton. Good lord.

Do he pitch?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

Mr. Met has been fired for flipping off a fan during last night's game.

Two things about this that I love...1) Technically the suit only has 4 fingers, so he doesn't even have a "middle" finger. 2) Seeing newspapers/TV outlets blurring out the image of a enormous baseball-headed mascot's Mickey Mouse style gloved hand when it's in the act.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #286
Suicane75
Coordinator

Mr. Met appears to be the classiest one in the video. They ought to ban the fans yelling obscenities.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #287
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

#FreeMrMet
Old 06-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #288
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It feels like something's wrong with the universe when a New Yorker is fired for flipping the bird.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM   #289
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Rangers have thankfully given up on Sam Dyson. They have designated him for assignment.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #290
Arles
Grey Dog Software

After watching the Cardinals-Cubs game on ESPN last night, I have one pressing question for baseball fans: Should the Hall of Fame waive the 5-year waiting period for David Ross and just elect him today? I mean, he is the greatest player in our lifetime and completely worthy of all these accolades. After all, lifetime .229 hitters don't grow on trees
Old 06-06-2017, 09:13 PM   #291
JPhillips
General Manager

Scooter Gennett may never be a star, but a 4 HR 10 RBI game will be a lifelong memory!
Old 06-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #292
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, Buster Posey - hitting cleanup and with a slash line of .345/.438/.509 so far this year - has 15 RBI. On the season.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #293
cartman
Death Herald

The Rangers worked out a deal with the Giants on Sam Dyson. Hopefully the change of scenery helps. He went from a shutdown guy to BP tosser overnight.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #294
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Perfect move for San Francisco - it's probably time to punt on the season, so why not take a flyer out on a guy who has hit hard times?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #295
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Scooter Gennett may never be a star, but a 4 HR 10 RBI game will be a lifelong memory!

First thing I thought of was Bob Horner cause I remember that game.
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #296
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frnk55 View Post
First thing I thought of was Bob Horner cause I remember that game.

+1
Old 06-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #297
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This Cardinals team is really becoming excruciating to watch.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #298
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
This Cardinals team is really becoming excruciating to watch.

The Brett Cecil signing didn't make much sense at the time but it is what it is. However his continued usage is baffling. Why isn't he in Memphis?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM   #299
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The 7th and 8th innings are literal guarantees to blow the lead at this point.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #300
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
The 7th and 8th innings are literal guarantees to blow the lead at this point.

Yeah don't understand how they couldn't have landed a middle reliever for Matt Adams.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote