Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #151
Radii
Head Coach

I'd said I wouldn't spend any money on the game, but that was before they showed me a 4* WR that fits my team perfectly and I turned into a sucker. I had some gold stockpiled, but ended up dropping some real money on a couple extra duplicates as well. Xavier Flame at 3 out of 4 stars and 12% legend bonus is 129/145/177/193. Replacing my current WR with him bumped me up from ~100.2 to ~106. I also replaced two running plays that involved my QB who can't run with OR's involving my new guy and the playbook change bumped me up to 112.9.

If I'm tempted to spend more real money on the next good player that comes along, it might be time to quit, but this seems ok given the amount of time i've sunk in so far.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #152
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I moved up to Division 2 and it's a bear to stay in the top 50. I'm routinely facing people in the 110-135 ability range (and I'm 92). I have to admit, I'm having a lot more fun playing it. I will about 2 out of 3 and have to be very careful. I pretty heavily scout the opponent off the back and track plays. I routinely use the QB Kneel play and run short yardage to build up (even if it means I punt). It actually feels like a strategic game now and not an "autoplay" spamming activity.

Last edited by Arles : 07-21-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #153
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I moved up to Division 2 and it's a bear to stay in the top 50.

Remember you only need to be in the top 100 for the tier 2 reward It seems like there's a lot of teams that stay within a very narrow range of each other in division 2. I bounced around from about 40th to 80th in the last tournament. I auto'd all my games and lost a lot of them.

I did keep a bit closer eye on things the last day and was willing to play out a few games to guarentee top 100 if needed, but for me it wasn't required. At the time my team was in the 97'ish range.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:08 PM   #154
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, I like to stay in the top 50 in the event I can't play towards the end. Gives me a buffer
Old 07-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #155
Radii
Head Coach

As you start to get into division 2 and start to progress a bit more, season 19 = 1000 gold, season 20 = 200 recruiting points, and season 21 = 1250 gold. There is a lot of potential advancement in those three seasons.

Additionally, when you pull a duplicate of a 3 star legend, you get 25 recruiting points. Early on in the game I kept looking for ways to rush into 4* and 5* players, but the suggestions others were making are really very clearly right. Pull 3* players all you can with recruiting points, eventually you'll end up with enough 3* legends that your 1k packs will result in lots of 3* legend duplicates for 25 recruiting points, and at some point that will turn into pulling 4* players with your recruiting points and progressing that way.

All that said, I am still "stockpiling" about 2500 gold, enough to buy two 4* or one 5* if the perfect individual player pops up in the exclusive offers section. So when I hit 3500, I buy a 1k pack.

Last edited by Radii : 07-22-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #156
Bobble
College Prospect

Does anyone set up a "defensive" playbook? I know that my playbook works for me because I know when to call which play but the AI is terrible. Does anyone switch out their playbook when they're not playing to put in plays just to make their team harder to beat when it's played by the AI? Prolly not worth the effort...

BTW, I think I've seen the Saxenda commercial about a million times!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #157
Radii
Head Coach

Season 22 = 300 recruiting points
Season 23 = 1500 gold

I spent some time today completing season 22. Pulled 12 3* players with the points, got no legends out of it unfortunately, but I'm getting more and more 3* players at 4 duplicates. The first opponent in season 23 is rated 143. I'm at 123. This season is probably out of reach.

My patchwork defense is running into more and more problems. I'm just terrible against OR and not great against SP yet. Winning games still isn't that hard but winning by 10 is now a major problem here.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #158
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Does anyone set up a "defensive" playbook? I know that my playbook works for me because I know when to call which play but the AI is terrible. Does anyone switch out their playbook when they're not playing to put in plays just to make their team harder to beat when it's played by the AI? Prolly not worth the effort...

I've never tried, but, I don't see a lot of options for my team where I could AI proof it. My offense is WAY better than my defense, but I still have enough holes on offense where there is a *very* clear best set of plays for me to put in my playbook.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #159
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

One of the things I find interesting as I see more skill abilities are ways in which you can combine players with skills that synergize well together. I played Illinois in DII (rating was like 142 or so) and they have a team which has done that more than any other I have paid attention to:

On offense:
medium boost to team morale after 10 or more yards gained
massive boost to team morale after successful play if morale is 25% or less
large boost to team morale after 10 or more yards gained
large boost to play's breakaway ratio if morale is 85% or more

medium boost to team's sp ratings if morale is 60% or more
massive boost to team morale when activated

So they add all these morale boosting skills on offense and even one on defense, and then give themselves a huge breakaway boost when their morale is high, as well as a boost to their short pass defense.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #160
Radii
Head Coach

I've noticed some things like that too, mostly in the form of skills on the other team's defense that completely shut me down.

As far as doing it myself, the big question will end up being "how much in ratings do you sacrifice for that kind of synergy"

I've ditched players on defense that raised my morale and lowered my opponents morale in favor of better rated players with less interesting effects. I guess my sense for now is that the better rated players allow me to win more games overall on auto, while the morale changers did help me squeak out a few extra close games, my overall winning % would be lower with them.

But that's just what i have available now. With more developed 4* players and more options down the road that's definitely something that could be fun to build around.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #161
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Any openings?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #162
Radii
Head Coach

cartman or whoever is doing invite stuffs, confirmed that we can kick Jupiter.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #163
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
cartman or whoever is doing invite stuffs, confirmed that we can kick Jupiter.

Done then, one open spot.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #164
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

In as Rushville Tech. Team sucks, understand if you want a better squad for the final spot.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #165
Radii
Head Coach

I just got one of those blue "talent search" tickets as a gift, the ones that let you do a free statewide recruiting search. That's a first for me, anyone else seen those before? I hit prestige 17 with my last free local recruiting pull, maybe its a new thing that opens up? Or maybe its super rare.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #166
Radii
Head Coach

dola, annnnnnd that talent search finished off a 2* legend and a 3* legend. So that's neat.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #167
rjolley
College Starter

I had the blue ticket as one of the 3 gifts once, but didn't win it. That was the only time I've noticed it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #168
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just got one of those blue "talent search" tickets as a gift, the ones that let you do a free statewide recruiting search. That's a first for me, anyone else seen those before? I hit prestige 17 with my last free local recruiting pull, maybe its a new thing that opens up? Or maybe its super rare.

I've had the ticket come up twice as an option. Did not get it the first time, did get it the second time.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #169
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Zoop Erman is The Truth (a 5* QB with 118 in all stats w/20% legend bonus, saw him on a couple of opponents' teams).
Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #170
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I just got a nationwide pack that had 4 5* star guys in it. Two were guys I didn't have (one, funny enough, was Zoop). The 3rd was a second copy of my current 5* QB - Kaeden Brock (125 OR, 100 SP and 120 LP). I'd love to get a 2nd copy of Zoop - he almost has him beat at level 10 with 106 across the board (I only have 8% legend at QB). The 4th was a copy of my 5* TE - Oscar Milanes. At level 20 (with a 20% TE legend bonus), he has 108-154-185-123. He's easily my best player right now.

I need a new center, all mine are poor. I'm currently using Kolby Daniels, but I only have 1 star (of his 4). He's 26-104-26-52. But, in my plays, I only use the C for OR plays.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #171
chinaski
College Prospect

Is there anything to do with duplicate 1 star players? Can I get rid of excess players? Kinda bugs me having all these guys ill never use.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 AM   #172
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Is there anything to do with duplicate 1 star players? Can I get rid of excess players? Kinda bugs me having all these guys ill never use.

Do you know about turning players into legends to get the stat bonuses from that? Other than that, nope, I think they all just sit there forever.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 AM   #173
Radii
Head Coach

So I spent about 80 gold yesterday to get extra games in the tournament to close in on the top 10. Today I spent none and was able to maintain top 10 status. We'll see what happens tomorrow and Thursday. In Divisions 4 and 3 I was able to pretty easily secure top 10 when I wanted to do so, for a pretty minimal cost so the reward was clearly worth it. I'm not 100% sold on doing this in division 2, where I expect everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

It does have the side effect of generating a lot more alliance points, and right now we're still hanging on in the top 25 which would give everyone 100 recruiting points instead of 50.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 AM   #174
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
So I spent about 80 gold yesterday to get extra games in the tournament to close in on the top 10. Today I spent none and was able to maintain top 10 status. We'll see what happens tomorrow and Thursday. In Divisions 4 and 3 I was able to pretty easily secure top 10 when I wanted to do so, for a pretty minimal cost so the reward was clearly worth it. I'm not 100% sold on doing this in division 2, where I expect everyone else is trying to do the same thing.

It does have the side effect of generating a lot more alliance points, and right now we're still hanging on in the top 25 which would give everyone 100 recruiting points instead of 50.

You can pay 6 gold to reset the countdown clock to play a tournament game the first time. Does resetting the clock a second time cost more?

Are you playing out those games or just "simming" them?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #175
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
You can pay 6 gold to reset the countdown clock to play a tournament game the first time. Does resetting the clock a second time cost more?

Are you playing out those games or just "simming" them?

It never costs more. Its based on the time remaining. 6 gold right away, and every 20 minutes it drops by 1 I think (under 1h40m its 5, 1h20m 4, 1h 3, etc).

I'm simming all of them. If my team isn't good enough to compete while simming all my games, I don't worry about it and just take my easy top 100 spot. I do lose the occasional game, but I've won over 90% of them this tournament. There are a few teams in the top 10 I avoid at all costs... anyone rated 130+ (I'm currently at 128) and one team that specifically gives me matchup problems, but there are a few that I beat every single time, including the #1 team which is really nice whenever they come up.

The main issue with doing this is that, on Thursday (or Sunday for the weekend tournament), a lot of other teams close to the top 10 will start spending extra gold to make a push for the top 10. The last time I did this was in division 3. On the final day the top 5 slots were completely secure, but there were ~8 teams fighting for the final 5 positions. Throughout the day teams outside the top 10 started realizing they weren't going to make it and cut their losses and fell away from the pack, but there were still 6 people competing for 5 spots in the final hour IIRC so I watched the standings a bit more closely and made sure I never risked falling to 11th.

In division 3, I spent about 200 gold to win 500 extra, the risk was very low, I was pretty darn sure I wouldn't fail, but it took extra time too so eh, barely worth it. In division 2, you also get an extra recruiting ticket for being in the top 10, plus the potential for helping to secure the extra 50 recruiting points on the alliance side, plus the 500 gold, a little more worth the extra effort, at least for me since I work from home and micromanaging this is mostly cutting into my reddit time between work tasks

Last edited by Radii : 07-26-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #176
henry296
College Starter

So, what do you think: I'm about 7000 points behind getting into the top 10. Should I go for it?
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #177
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
So, what do you think: I'm about 7000 points behind getting into the top 10. Should I go for it?

For the first time ever, I'm making a move for top ten in D-III. I've dropped maybe 50-60 gold on it. It's not so much the gold, it's the constant attention it seems to take.

That said, I don't know if 7000 is a lot or a little in your division.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #178
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Probably not. That seems like an awful lot to make up and assume others higher up are going to be playing a lot to secure their positions.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #179
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Probably not. That seems like an awful lot to make up and assume others higher up are going to be playing a lot to secure their positions.

Yeah, I can imagine that 7000 is a moving target.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #180
henry296
College Starter

i should add this is D3. I paid 7 gold to get to 16th and have closed to within 6000 of 10th
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #181
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I haven't had much luck on offense. My defense is all 2 solid star or better players. In many cases I've upgraded from 2 solid star guys to better 2 star guys. On offense I'm stuck on with crap at QB-WR-OL and 2* guys at TE and RB that don't have the most desireable skill sets.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #182
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I've made it to Division 2, and it has been tough sledding. Losing a lot more than I'm winning now.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #183
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I've made it to Division 2, and it has been tough sledding. Losing a lot more than I'm winning now.

I should be moving up after this tourney and I expect to lose a lot until I can get some better players.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #184
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

You are definitely rated quite a bit lower than I was when I hit division 2. I think I was right at 90 at first, and I still lost a ton there.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #185
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
i should add this is D3. I paid 7 gold to get to 16th and have closed to within 6000 of 10th

Then, no, you shouldn't. I'm at 8th in D-III and have to pay a few gold to hold on to top 10. I don't think you could get up here from there without it costing you more than you'll make.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #186
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We have about a 60,000 point lead in our alliance to stay top 25 with 3:30 left. Hopefully we can hold on.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #187
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I haven't redeemed any of the Recruit Points yet. Do they dole out random players as well, or do you get to pick a specific player?
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #188
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I haven't redeemed any of the Recruit Points yet. Do they dole out random players as well, or do you get to pick a specific player?

random. How many recruit points do you have?

I'm currently pulling 3* recruits every time I get 25 points. The bulk of my team improvement comes from creating legends, not finding better starters or upgrading my starters. I have between 14%-38% bonuses to each position from this. It obviously takes a long time to start getting 3*'s up to legend, but you gain prestige along the way from increasing stars, and it pays off big time.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #189
cartman
Death Herald

I'm sitting on 344 of them at the moment. I need to get some duplicates on my defense. I'm certain my weak defense is what is holding me back at the moment.

Last edited by cartman : 07-27-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #190
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm sitting on 344 of them at the moment. I need to get some duplicates on my defense. I'm certain my weak defense is what is holding me back at the moment.

That's 13 3 star players you could pull. While its just as big a crapshoot as the 1k packs, it looked like you had a number of positions where the right 3* player upgraded to 2* would be an upgrade, plus, the general idea that progression is heavily based on collecting duplicates and creating legends, I think stockpiling those points doesn't buy you anything at all personally.

1* legends from the free recruit pull, 2* legends from 1k packs as you build up duplicates over time. 3* legends from a combination of recruiting points + 1k packs. None of us are there yet, but I think we'll start seeing 4* legends when we have so many 3* legends that our 1k packs start pulling lots of 3* legend duplicates (each of which reward 25 recruit points).

Additionally you can get a legend once a day from the "exclusive offers" section, the middle offer is always for the stadium earnings currency, the silver one. I've only seen 1* and 2* players there, so if you have enough of that currency, always buy enough of those players to create legends.

That's basically my build strategy at this point. Play through "road to glory" seasons when you can to collect those rewards. You can auto those all you want without penalty.

Lastly, one thing I didn't realize at first with seasons is that you can get a secondary reward for each season by getting a perfect "3 ball" score in each game (for beating each team by 20). I've found that when my team ratings are 50 above the teams in a season I can start getting some 20 point wins via auto play.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #191
Radii
Head Coach

dola, for the folks that were looking at going for top 10 tournament rewards, its a bit easier to do on the weekend tournament simply because its only 3 days long instead of 4. Less time for teams to distance themselves from you, less points needed overall. Sunday will still require you to play a bunch of extra games to compete with others attempting the same.

So far in Div 2 it looks like Jag and I have both been able to stay near/in the top 10 without spending any extra gold (at least I haven't had to so far).
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #192
Radii
Head Coach

I pulled two 1K packs today and bought 3*'s with recruiting points gained from legend duplicates. It was quite the draw. I've created 4 3* legends, 2 2* legends, and got my 4th card on 4* DT Arnie Stacks today.

DT Stacks is now at 184/204/175/153, team rating went from 131->146 today I think?

With all this movement I hit prestige 20, so I'll get to see Division 1 next tournament.

Last edited by Radii : 07-29-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #193
Bobble
College Prospect

[quote=Radii;3168379With all this movement I hit prestige 20, so I'll get to see Division 1 next tournament.[/QUOTE]

Is that what governs which Division, prestige? I've been wondering if there's a downside to pushing for more and more prestige.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #194
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Is that what governs which Division, prestige? I've been wondering if there's a downside to pushing for more and more prestige.

Yup, 4 prestige for division 3, 9 prestige to jump to division 2, 20 prestige to jump to division 1.

Tournament rewards have grown each tier. In division 2, places 1-10 reward 1500 gold, 11-100 reward 1000, 101-250 reward 500. In division 3, places 1-10 reward 2000, 11-100 reward 1500, 101-250 reward 1k. In division 2 you start getting extra blue recruiting tickets as well (2 instead of 1 for 11-100, 3 instead of 1 for 1-10).

Since the rewards scale up so nicely, i think there's no downside to advancing, at least through division 2. I guess I'll find out tonight if there is anything different about division 1, if its saturated to the point that you drop down a long way or whatever, but I'm not expecting much difference.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #195
Radii
Head Coach

Division 1 prizes:

1-5: 3000 gold + 3 tickets
6-25: 2000 gold + 3 tickets
26-100: 1500 gold + 2 tickets
101-250: 1000 gold + 2 tickets

The extra tier at the top is interesting.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 AM   #196
Radii
Head Coach

So brief division 1 update:

i've played 12 tournament games, won 6. i'm like 78th right now, but i've gotten extra games in b/c of two prestige bumps. I have had some game selections where all of my opponents are rated 275+

I'm not 100% sure yet I can even get top 100 once things settle in, we'll see.
Since you have to get top 25 in division 1 to get the same reward as top 10 in division 2... I think there is definitely a case to be made to getting to 19 prestige and to stop leveling there, to continue getting top 10's and 2k gold and to not level up to prestige 20 until you can do a ton and make huge improvements to your team.

That seems pretty boring though, and I'm not sure I'd really want to do that even feeling its probably the best strategy if I could do it over again.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #197
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Top 5 - aka the whale tier.

Not only would it be optimal to stay at DII as you said, it might not be a great idea to make legends past a certain point, since you get more rating points per prestige by building 4* and 5* players that are actually going to start for you. But again, depends on if you'd rather min-max for a while or just keep seeing continual improvement.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #198
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Top 5 - aka the whale tier.

Not only would it be optimal to stay at DII as you said, it might not be a great idea to make legends past a certain point, since you get more rating points per prestige by building 4* and 5* players that are actually going to start for you. But again, depends on if you'd rather min-max for a while or just keep seeing continual improvement.

You have to be careful, though. It's not only making legends that increases prestige. Every unlocked star is a prestige bump as well. Just be sure that building those 4* and 5*'s doesn't push you over.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #199
Radii
Head Coach

I've won 2 of 6 tournament games today and am ranked 174th. Might be looking at 1k tournament rewards and a slow build from there to compete.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #200
Radii
Head Coach

I was able to go back and complete an old season that gave me enough gold for another 1k pack and I ended up getting about 4 legends out of it between the pack itself and the recruiting points from duplicate legends, etc. I've improved from 166'ish to 174'ish. Maybe after the first day of the tournament things have settled in and those 275+ rated teams have all floated up towards the top of the standings? Anyway, the last couple days I've been winning more than 2/3 of my games. I'm hovering anywhere between 90th and 110th in the tournament, without having spent any gold on extra games. I am playcalling a little more as well, a half here and there.

If I can end up in the top 100 I'll feel a whole heck of a lot better about things.

Last edited by Radii : 08-02-2017 at 11:15 AM.