Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Recommendations for Chicago trip?

Hey folks...

I'm heading to Chicago for a vacation in August. We're staying downtown by the water and already planning a trip to Wrigley, as well as the art gallery and maybe aquarium. Any other recommendations for things to do/see? Any good food spots beyond the ones that show up on the usual list? Anything to avoid?

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

It's kind of a tourist trap, but I enjoyed taking an architecture river cruise. We did the one operated by Wendella. They also have a different option where you go in the lake as well.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

Museum of Science and Industry.

This place is awesome.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
It's kind of a tourist trap, but I enjoyed taking an architecture river cruise. We did the one operated by Wendella. They also have a different option where you go in the lake as well.
Yeah, I think the wife signed us up for one of those. Glad to hear they're worth doing, I was kind of on the fence.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Museum Science and Industry for absolute certainty. My wife loves the Field Museum, but I've never been much of a fan. Check it out online, and see if it's something you're interested in. Shedd Aquarium isn't terribly exciting, if you ask me. It's in need of a renovation (newer aquariums around the country overshadow it heavily).

Couple things re: Museums.
1) They do occasional free days for kids. Check online, AVOID THOSE DAYS if possible. It's a god damned nightmare.
2) Buy your tickets in advance online. Way less waiting in line.
3) Specifically for Science & Industry, they have several special exhibits you buy tickets for, some of which you need a time slot for. Again, buy them in advance online.

I'm sure it'll show up on a list anyway, but I must heartily endorse the oyster bar area at Shaw's Crab House, especially for a lunch. Have a few cocktails, have some oysters (if you're a fan), their gumbo is quite tasty. Very old school place.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

I ate at Benny's Chop House when there last month. I don't think it's as popular as some of the other steak places, but it was very good.

Of course I still went to Joe's afterwards for a slice of key lime pie.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

Giordanos for Deep dish Chicago style pizza. This is a must get. You will regret not getting a pizza like this.

A small fed my wife, my 15 year old and myself. And we had a piece left over.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Giordanos for Deep dish Chicago style pizza. This is a must get. You will regret not getting a pizza like this.

A small fed my wife, my 15 year old and myself. And we had a piece left over.

I'd +1 this.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
sooner333
College Starter

Recommendations for Chicago trip?

We went to Lou Malnatti's instead of Giordanos. It was also very good and comes recommended. We did not do this, but you can order at a counter while you wait for a table. The pizzas take 45 mins so it can cut down on your time.

Last edited by sooner333 : 07-20-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
digamma
Torchbearer

I'd vote Lou Malnotti's over Giordano's as well.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

We did both, and either will hit the spot
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Does either place serve anything other than Chicago-style pizza, in case we'd like to get some food?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Museum of Science and Industry.

This place is awesome.

+1
Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Does either place serve anything other than Chicago-style pizza, in case we'd like to get some food?

Not helping you anymore.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Not helping you anymore.
Look man, it's better that you hear it from a friend.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

We had a great Italian meal at a restaurant called Volare at the recommendation of the hotel concierge.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes, they also have sandwiches, non-stuffed pizza and other Italian dishes. I know lots of folks prefer Lou Malnottis, but I found Giordanos to be the best of the bunch. But as BYU14 said, you can't go wrong with either.

Also a +1 on the architectural river cruise - cool way to get a quick history lesson of the city. If you like architecture, might be worth looking into a Frank Lloyd Wright bus tour.

I'm a big fan of the Art Institute - they have a fantastic collection if you like art. And the Field Museum is impressive as well. You can't go wrong wandering around the Milleneum Park/Grant Park area.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill or Uncle Julio's for Mexican. Gene & Georgetti's for steak and Italian food.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #19
rjolley
College Starter

I'll +1 the Museum of Science and Industry. That one was my favorite growing up. The Art Museum and the aquarium are also great.

For food, love Giordanos and Garrett's if you like popcorn. I recommend the caramel/cheese mix.

Also, try Zed 451 (zed4521.com), a churrascaria on N. Clark that my best friend took me to when I was there a few years ago. Excellent food.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #20
Jon
High School Varsity

Gotta go with Lou Malnatti's. It beats Giordano's, Gino's East, and the rest for deep dish.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:29 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

The museums are all great. I prefer Field because I'm into dinos but most are close and you can hit them up in one day.

You can't go wrong with Giordanos or Lou's. Everyone has a personal favorite. I'm a big fan of Pequods. There are so many good restaurants it's hard to pick out a few. If you do need a quick lunch, I'd recommend grabbing an Italian Beef somewhere.

Other than that, Wrigley is a great day. They build a nice park around the stadium and you have bars and restaurants everywhere. Just hang out in the neighborhood and have a good time. For other days, the parks (Millennium, Grant) are always good. Also depending on the weekend you are in, there might be a good street festival to go to. Great food and usually a band from the 90's you sort of remember. I just saw the Meat Puppets a couple weeks ago.

And of course if you drink beer, sample some of the local breweries they have on tap. We have some great options.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
sabotai
General Manager

Field Museum: *thumbs up*
Shedd Aquarium: *thumbs down*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #23
BillyNYC
High School JV

If no kids, going to a blues club is a good time. Am partial to Kingston Mines (nearish Wrigley). Buddy Guy's Legends is a bit newer/swankier. Both 21+ places.

Although a bit hokey, either one of the Chicago gangster tours (did Untouchable Tours years ago) or ghost tours is a fun way to get some history and see some parts of Chicago that you likely won't get to otherwise.

Foodwise:
* If you can get into Girl and the Goat, highly recommended, especially the "pigs face".
* If no kids and really feel like a splurge, Alinea remains the best meal I've ever had in my life. Alas, it's $$$$ and takes around 3 hours.
* Au Cheval has one of the best burgers I've ever had, and other adventurous things (bone marrow, for example)
* If you're going to have a car at all, Calumet Fisheries is about 20 mins from downtown. Fresh, amazing, smoked fish. (The bridge jump scene in the Blues Brothers is by there.)
* Further uptown (past Wrigley), Hopleaf is a really chill Belgian restaurant/gastropub. Large alcohol selection, great food.
* Bohemian House is right by downtown, and is really tasty Czech-inspired dishes. Upscale-ish, but warm.
* Lots of Poles in Chicago. Staropolska is one of the better Polish restaurants. A bit away from downtown, but near the blue line.

Speaking of the blue line, Chicago's definitely a city of neighborhoods. Used to like strolling around Wicker Park/Bucktown, off the blue. Lakeview was my old turf, off the red or brown lines.

Lived there 10 years, but moved away 4 years back. Not sure how much has changed since then!

Last edited by BillyNYC : 07-20-2017 at 08:49 PM.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm a big fan of the Art Institute - they have a fantastic collection if you like art. And the Field Museum is impressive as well. You can't go wrong wandering around the Milleneum Park/Grant Park area.
Yeah, the wife is a big art fan so that's a sure thing, and I'm sure we'll wander off to the park after that.

For the Field Museum (and also the Science Museum), are those fun for adults? We're not bringing the kids with us on this trip.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

Science and industry has a full Sub you can tour. Just to give you an idea of the size of the museum.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #26
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
For the Field Museum (and also the Science Museum), are those fun for adults? We're not bringing the kids with us on this trip.
Depends on what floats your boat. Here's their website to get an idea of the exhibits they have:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote