Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #1
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Where do you get your sports news these days?

It seems like no matter where I go, it's becoming harder and harder to find sports articles about, you know, actual games and the like. ESPN.com was my go-to news source for a long time, but it's become really annoying to go there lately. I tend to lean the same way, politically, that ESPN does, but it irks me to have to wade through links to opinion pieces, discussion about haircuts and players' fathers and faux boxing matches, Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman videos, etc., just to get to an article that talks about what happened in last night's baseball game or basketball game.

Other websites are no better. Fox Sports is just as bad as ESPN.com, and CBSSports.com is starting to move in that direction. (The journalism at CBSSports.com is freaking terrible.) Recently I find myself going to TSN.ca, and while I like ice hockey and the CFL, I still want to read up on things from an American point of view every now and then.

So, where do you go for your (authentic) sports news?

bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

Twitter for news. Get my scores from an app called The Score.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I ask hobos. It's actually worked out better than I thought it would, because it turns out many of them were writers for ESPN and Fox Sports.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
21C
College Prospect

I feel your pain but I haven't found an answer to this myself. I used to go to Yahoo Sports for years because it offered a stripped down version of scores at a glance and meaningful headlines. Now I come away none the wiser after a visit.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
I ask hobos. It's actually worked out better than I thought it would, because it turns out many of them were writers for ESPN and Fox Sports.

I didn't know you owned the Cleveland Browns
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

Twitter and some SiriusXM.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
molson
General Manager

I still use ESPN.com. Top story right on the front, headlines on the right, access to scores, standings, and stats along the top, and occasional interesting list-type stories just towards the bottom (what all MLB teams should do at the trade deadline, which teams fucked up in the NBA draft, etc, stuff I can skim quickly over a short break). I must not be very discerning because all the sites seem pretty much the same to me, I'm just most used to ESPN.

I still haven't figured out highlights though. I keep hearing that highlights moved away from TV because people just get them "online" now, but I'm still not sure if that means those MLB.com game pages that have 12 short clips for each game, all of which I have to click separately. I'm not doing that. I'd love to have a short recap of went went on in the big games last night with some video and some commentary just setting up the context. Like the old Sports Center and Baseball Tonight shows. But those shows seem now to get bogged down in talking and expert analysis (or at least they did the last time I tuned in). I've realized that since I stopped watching SportsCenter maybe 15 years ago, I've never actually seen most major team sports athletes actually play their sport at all, since I only watch my teams and only sparingly. Where in the 80s I was familiar with Mark McGwire's swing just from watching highlights.

And I browse reddit a lot in the way other people use twitter - a quick peak into what's going on right now. And for wacky fan-created nonsense. One guy today shared a spreadsheet he's been working on for 4 years that tracks who the last active player and living player is from every defunct or moved MLB team is. (Bartolo Colon is the last Expo). I also tangentially learned there that while there is nobody living that played in the NBA in its first season in 1946-1947, John Kundla, who coached the Lakers starting in 1948 and won 5 championships with George Mikan is still alive at 101. Reddit nonsense!!!

Last edited by molson : 07-20-2017 at 09:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I usually only follow NFL news nowadays. So I get most of my news from nfl.com or from a Colts blog like stampedeblue.com. On occasion I'll flip on NFL Network or NFL Live. If I'm interested in any other sport I'll look up foxsports for scores or standings.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One guy today shared a spreadsheet he's been working on for 4 years that tracks who the last active player and living player is from every defunct or moved MLB team is. (Bartolo Colon is the last Expo).
I didn't even realize this! And I'm a huge Expos fan! (Can't wait to see them come back!)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #10
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Reddit.com/r/nfl.

I barely know whats happening in other sports anymore. I miss the days of 90 minutes worth of Sportscenter that was almost purely highlights covering anything and everything that happened in sports. Used to literally leave that on all day and bask in the glow of sports knowledge as a kid. I blame their shift to shitty personal interest stories for my lack of interest in other sports aside from the NFL. I mean, I used to know who was who in every sport, even Tennis and Golf. Now I couldn't tell you shit about anything except the NFL.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-20-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sirius
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

+1
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
General Mike
Pro Starter

Push notifications from the ESPN app, or I read stuff on other message boards.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:23 AM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I still use ESPN.com. Top story right on the front, headlines on the right, access to scores, standings, and stats along the top, and occasional interesting list-type stories just towards the bottom (what all MLB teams should do at the trade deadline, which teams fucked up in the NBA draft, etc, stuff I can skim quickly over a short break). I must not be very discerning because all the sites seem pretty much the same to me, I'm just most used to ESPN.

Pretty much the same.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This + reddit for me.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #16
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

I get mine from sports digs two weeks early.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #17
Arles
Grey Dog Software

pretty much solely twitter. I will occasionally check ESPN.com if something big happens - but most of my articles come from direct links on twitter. I also enjoy podcasts since I am in the car an hour each way to work.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:

I still haven't figured out highlights though. I keep hearing that highlights moved away from TV because people just get them "online" now, but I'm still not sure if that means those MLB.com game pages that have 12 short clips for each game, all of which I have to click separately. I'm not doing that. I'd love to have a short recap of went went on in the big games last night with some video and some commentary just setting up the context. Like the old Sports Center and Baseball Tonight shows. But those shows seem now to get bogged down in talking and expert analysis (or at least they did the last time I tuned in). I've realized that since I stopped watching SportsCenter maybe 15 years ago, I've never actually seen most major team sports athletes actually play their sport at all, since I only watch my teams and only sparingly. Where in the 80s I was familiar with Mark McGwire's swing just from watching highlights.

And I browse reddit a lot in the way other people use twitter - a quick peak into what's going on right now. And for wacky fan-created nonsense. One guy today shared a spreadsheet he's been working on for 4 years that tracks who the last active player and living player is from every defunct or moved MLB team is. (Bartolo Colon is the last Expo). I also tangentially learned there that while there is nobody living that played in the NBA in its first season in 1946-1947, John Kundla, who coached the Lakers starting in 1948 and won 5 championships with George Mikan is still alive at 101. Reddit nonsense!!!

MLB.com does have 90 second recaps of each game, for what it's worth.

http://m.mlb.com/video/search/8879974
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #19
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Twitter by far. If I want to see box scores, I will go to espn. I avoid the interest stories, and its drift toward entertainment over sports.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I struggle to imagine how anybody gets anything consistently useful from Twitter. (since they insist on showing 2-3 days old crap first instead of allowing a straight up timeline)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
CarterNMA
Mascot

For the NFL, I go to ProFootballTalk.com.
For association football and Formula 1, I go to BBC Sports.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #22
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I struggle to imagine how anybody gets anything consistently useful from Twitter. (since they insist on showing 2-3 days old crap first instead of allowing a straight up timeline)

It takes some time to vet the sources, but making lists on Twitter is pretty easy and organizing them on Tweetdeck is even easier.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #23
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
It takes some time to vet the sources, but making lists on Twitter is pretty easy and organizing them on Tweetdeck is even easier.
I second Tweetdeck. I mainly use it to separate my English-, Japanese- and Portuguese-language tweets, but once you get used to it it's useful for organizing a wild Twitter feed. I can't use Twitter any other way now.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

Twitter/facebook for "breaking" stuff, yahoo for box scores (although I hate the layout these days - I just go there out of habit).
Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #25
booradley
High School Varsity

Still espn.com. Once I set my faves, it's a fast way to get the news I really care about
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

If you're seeing stuff from that long ago, it's because you're not using it frequently enough.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
If you're seeing stuff from that long ago, it's because you're not using it frequently enough.

And I use it that infrequently because they stopped simply putting things in order.

I literally went from multiple times per day to maybe once per week when they started trying to guess what I wanted to see. Killed it dead for me.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't really follow sports all that closely anymore. Especially this time of year, there is nothing I follow even loosely. In the NFL, I am only dimly aware what happens outside of the games that I am watching and whatever scores show up on the ticker. I do watch some college football-related shows on BTN and I go to a Hoosiers-themed forum. I don't go to any other websites for day-to-day info, aside from occasionally checking standings on ESPN or NFL.com.

I miss the days of NFL Primetime with only Chris Berman and Tom Jackson.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-24-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #29
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh View Post
MLB.com does have 90 second recaps of each game, for what it's worth.

http://m.mlb.com/video/search/8879974

Cool, I did watch a couple of game recaps with that, they weren't bad.

Still, it's weird that it was less work 25 years ago to just have TV show me all of those in a row without me doing anything and clicking around to different teams, but, it's better than nothing.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

I think people are getting a lot better at vetting. I remember on this board a few years ago, there was this constant stream of "insider" twitter info, most of which ended up being incorrect. It was crazy to me that someone could just post something made-up on twitter, and people will still just report stuff from the same guy as news the next week.

Here and on reddit though, it seems the breaking news I hear about, that people are getting from twitter, is a lot more accurate. Though, traffic has decreased here, and reddit has its own system for promoting good info and hiding garbage info. I'm not sure I'd be savvy enough to translate what is good and what is garbage on twitter, so it's nice to have reddit filter it for me.

Last edited by molson : 07-24-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I think people are getting a lot better at vetting. I remember on this board a few years ago, there was this constant stream of "insider" twitter info, most of which ended up being incorrect.

MBBF doesn't post here anymore.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #32
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
MBBF doesn't post here anymore.

Hallelujah
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #33
cuervo72
Head Coach

Deadspin, WaPo, FOFC.

But really I'm in a similar boat to Kodos, there's just not much that I care about anymore.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #34
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
Cool, I did watch a couple of game recaps with that, they weren't bad.

Still, it's weird that it was less work 25 years ago to just have TV show me all of those in a row without me doing anything and clicking around to different teams, but, it's better than nothing.

Yeah, it'd definitely be better if they made it easier to watch all of these without a bunch of clicking. If you get MLB Network, I think Quick Pitch essentially strings all of these clips together.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #35
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Not sure where this best fits, here or cord cutters or even 2017 TV, but here goes.

An article from 500ish Words on Medium talks about live streaming NFL games and how Twitter is doing just highlights this year.

Quote:
Far more interesting to me is if and when these folks figure out how to fit such content into their own arenas. That’s why Twitter’s new deal for NFL highlights makes a lot more sense in my book. In sports, you want to play on your home field. So why have these tech companies been trying to win their games on the road?

Quote:
Instead, I’d focus on making the content available in different formats that fit the medium. Short clips. Live look-ins. GIFs. Etc. And highlights. Highlights. Highlights. Highlights. Twitter is and should be the new SportsCenter. Have you watched that program recently? I wouldn’t recommend it. It’s like Sports Twitter with people you can’t unfollow.

Quote:
This is why it’s not the cord-cutters that should worry Big Cable and the sports leagues, it’s the cord-nevers. They don’t watch Monday Night Football on ESPN because they never have. Because they don’t have ESPN. Because they don’t have cable. And, as is becoming increasingly clear, perhaps never will.

Here's a bit more on the Twitter deal from TechCrunch.

Quote:
Twitter will stream official NFL video and other content to fans year-round, including a new 30-minute live digital show that will air on Twitter five nights per week, during football season.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 08-02-2017 at 09:10 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #36
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

+1
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

I recently started DVRing Quick Pitch on MLB network, which is something I used to watch back in the day as a way to quickly get caught up on what was going on around the league. With the Mets worthless, I figured I'd start again and watching it yesterday made me think of this thread.

One thing they do that I love is just show the highlights with the actual in game announcers describing the action. It's not only obviously more natural than hearing a commentator speak on top of it after the fact, but the excitement is so much more real.

After watching this morning I flipped over to SC and heard Kenny Mayne trying to describe some of the same plays I heard on QP and it was night and day. I'm sure there are sourcing issues that the league-owned networks get around that allows it to happen much easier, but give me that kind of highlight package all the time and I'll watch more of it.