Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #601
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Ah, much better for Wisconsin. Please let me get a little more comfy yet.. Thanks.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM   #602
Groundhog
Coordinator

Enjoyed the Xavier-Georgia game, but the Baylor-Purdue game was a bust. Luckily they switched to the Kentucky-Marquette game which was a lot better.

I'm 9/12 so far in my bracket, with Baylor, Temple, and Kent St. letting me down. Thankfully I didn't have any of those three going beyond the next round.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #603
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't even realize it but my bracket is perfect so far. Not sure I like my championship after today. I have Stanford, NC, Wisconsin, Duke in the Final Four with NC beating Duke in the Championship. could still work out for me, but whatever. I don't want that bracket to be true, I want the Badgers all the way!!1

Last edited by mauchow : 03-20-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #604
Izulde
Head Coach

Thus far in my brackets:

Bracket #1: 10/12 (USC and Temple the only losses)
Bracket #2: 8/12 (USC - Sweet 16, Kent State - Sweet 16, Temple, Kentucky the losses... I let my dog pick this bracket)
Bracket #3: 8/12 (USC - Elite 8 the big loss here, Kent State, Kentucky, Temple the other losses)
Bracket #4: 10/12 (USC and Kent State the only losses)

Facebook Bracket: 9/12 (Kent State - Sweet 16 only major loss, Temple and USC the other losses)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #605
Izulde
Head Coach

Ugh. Add a lost Sweet 16 team to all brackets. Thanks a lot, George Mason.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #606
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Got my first loss in a bracket in Arizona. Bummer. Had 'em losing to Duke at least.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-20-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #607
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Damn you, Arizona. I had them in the Sweet 16, upsetting Duke. They're always tantalizing with their star players, but the lack of depth is a killer.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:58 PM   #608
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Wow, West Virginia was insane on shooting tonight. They were 11-15 on 3s with nearly all highly contested. No team in the nation can compete with that. Oh, and Kevin O'Neil makes Mike D'Antoni look like a coach with a deep bench. The entire Arizona bench played 11 minutes. Can't wait for Lute to be back next season.

Last edited by Arles : 03-20-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #609
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Not a pretty win for Wisconsin but we get it done against CSF who's point guard went absolutely insane from all over the place it seemed. Good game though, anyhow. Krabbenhoft was my player of the game as he quietly scored and rebounded and was pretty much the only guy that felt like playing D today. Great game, Krab-Man! Not much else to compliment on. Butch looked pretty poor, Flowers got beat all day, Landry looked BAD on offense, Hughes was pretty much his same self.

Moving on to Kansas State now. Landry I'm sure will be guarding, or I should say, attempting to guard Beasley. Should be a fun one. I will be watching this one from work. Yuck. Ah, well though.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #610
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nothing to glean from this UCLA game. Worst team to probably miss the play-in game
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #611
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Not a pretty win for Wisconsin but we get it done against CSF who's point guard went absolutely insane from all over the place it seemed. Good game though, anyhow. Krabbenhoft was my player of the game as he quietly scored and rebounded and was pretty much the only guy that felt like playing D today. Great game, Krab-Man! Not much else to compliment on. Butch looked pretty poor, Flowers got beat all day, Landry looked BAD on offense, Hughes was pretty much his same self.

Moving on to Kansas State now. Landry I'm sure will be guarding, or I should say, attempting to guard Beasley. Should be a fun one. I will be watching this one from work. Yuck. Ah, well though.

Actually, as I was pointing out to Lathum earlier, CSF is a solid, veteran team and that PG who went insane was Wazzu's leading scorer as a freshman two years ago. This is a solid win for Wisky, even if CSF didn't have a starter taller than 6'5".

I hope Akognon comes back. He can probably leave for a pro career on this game alone.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #612
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Why would he leave Wazzu if he was a leading scorer? That's shocking.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 PM   #613
timmynausea
College Starter

Nice win for WVU, especially with double teams and fouls taking Alexander out of the game for the most part. Nice to see Al Ruoff hit a ton of 3s. He's a great shooter that tore up the non-conference schedule but really struggled to get shots off against conference opponents and completely disappeared for games at a time. Hopefully with defenses really focusing on Alexander now, he'll be able to keep it going against Duke.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #614
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He didn't like the slowdown offense. He wanted to play up tempo. I believe when he was recruited, Bennett Sr. had just taken over at Wazzu. He stuck with them because it was Pac 10, but then once he got there, he saw the slow down offense as more negative than the positive of playing in the Pac 10. Plus, he's from SoCal, and probably was a little homesick.

Not sure he would have left if he knew what Wazzu would become when Bennett Jr. came over, but Titans fans sure are happy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 03-20-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #615
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU has definitely exceeded my expectations for this season already. I think we match up pretty well against Duke, since they do not have a dominating big man.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #616
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Because Dick Bennett teams hate to score and this guy felt he could showcase his pro potential better at CSF where apparently they do not have an aversion to actually scoring.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #617
MrBug708
Head Coach

Akongon had no desire to play in that offense and frankly, didn't see WSU as being as good as they were going to be
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #618
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork View Post
Because Dick Bennett teams hate to score and this guy felt he could showcase his pro potential better at CSF where apparently they do not have an aversion to actually scoring.

-Cork

It's true, they don't. They came in as the third highest scoring team in the tourney field (so kudos to top defense Wisconsin on that one, too).

Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 PM   #619
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Pomeroy a perfect 16-0 today. Goodness.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 AM   #620
wade moore
lolzcat

The George Mason guards are better than what they showed tonight, but they're not nearly as good as the trio they had in 2006 - so I'm not surprised they lost. I had them going to the sweet 16 on homerism, but I knew it would take some very lucky breaks.

It's unfortunate that such a great game by Will Thomas went to waste. In the end this was a very poor matchup for GMU because of the ND big man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #621
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Pomeroy a perfect 16-0 today. Goodness.

Shouldn't have been too hard, honestly. Only 2 upsets, and one was an 8-9 game, so it was an upset in seed only.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:07 AM   #622
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Shouldn't have been too hard, honestly. Only 2 upsets, and one was an 8-9 game, so it was an upset in seed only.

And the other was Michael Beasley.

Yeah - anyone who went really safe is lookin' good right now in their brackets.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #623
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Nothing to glean from this UCLA game. Worst team to probably miss the play-in game

Still have to give them some credit. You just shouldn't be able to hold teams below 30, even if they are scrubby.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #624
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

That's what I hate about NCAA tournament pools. The winners are almost always super-conservative brackets. If you pick an upset, odds are you'll miss that one, and also some other upset that you didn't pick. If you go with all the favorites, you'll do well.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM   #625
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That's what I hate about NCAA tournament pools. The winners are almost always super-conservative brackets. If you pick an upset, odds are you'll miss that one, and also some other upset that you didn't pick. If you go with all the favorites, you'll do well.

The best scoring system I have seen for pools is based on the Fibonacci sequence. Most pools, which just double the points per game for each round, way overweight the Final Four and Championship Game picks. The first round really ends up just being a tie-breaker.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #626
korme
Go Reds

Just got switched to Davidson/Zaga, kinda pissed because American was stomping on the Volunteers (well, 9-5)

Last edited by korme : 03-21-2008 at 11:28 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #627
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

You can still watch the game Shorty, duh.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-21-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #628
Jas_lov
College Starter

I've got Iowa's own, the Drake Bulldogs, vs. Western Kentucky. Go Drake!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #629
Jas_lov
College Starter

The threes are falling for the Bulldogs! I love the Drake!
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #630
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
You can still watch the game Shorty, duh.

Not tryin to watch any games online
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #631
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

13-2 run for Gonzaga, very nice. I have only been able to see 2 or 3 Gonzaga tourney games over all these years, nice to finally watch my hometown team.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #632
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

dola-so much for that run, they have given it all back almost.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #633
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee leads American 29-22 at the half.
Gonzaga up 37-32 with 2 mins left in the half.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #634
st.cronin
General Manager

I have Tennessee winning the whole thing in my brackets.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #635
Jas_lov
College Starter

Drake is getting beat at their own game. Western Kentucky shooting 63% including 6-13 from the three point line. I hate the Drake.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #636
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Western Kentucky taking a nice little lead here at the end of the first half. up by 9 with 3 seconds left.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #637
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Tennessee leads American 29-22 at the half.
Gonzaga up 37-32 with 2 mins left in the half.

Jon - I've been busy with work stuff so I haven't been "following" (and I don't have video anyways) - what's up with the Vols? Looks like J. and T. Smith are the only offense and Chism maybe got in foul trouble?

Quote:
Old 03-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #638
wade moore
lolzcat

Great - W. Kentucky is one of the few mid-major over mid-major upsets I didn't pick.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #639
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Jon - I've been busy with work stuff so I haven't been "following" (and I don't have video anyways) - what's up with the Vols? Looks like J. and T. Smith are the only offense and Chism maybe got in foul trouble?

Tied at 40 now with 11:05 to play.

Sorry for the lack of response, been away from the comp much of the day.
Truthfully, it looks like they were planning to throw their jerseys on the floor & beat 'em easily. Pearl has pretty much looked like he was ready to either have a stroke or choke a bitch from the opening couple of minutes. An absolutely lackluster performance across the board so far, completely mentally unprepared to play. Been outrebounded 28-14, 13-2 on the offensive glass.

re:Chism -- wasn't just the fouls, he was jacking up shots & such, got yanked for Crews very quickly.
Very uncharacteristically looked as out of whack as the rest of the team ... although he just hit a three to push the lead to 45-40 with 10 minutes left.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2008 at 12:52 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #640
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I've got Iowa's own, the Drake Bulldogs, vs. Western Kentucky. Go Drake!

Quote:
The threes are falling for the Bulldogs! I love the Drake!

Quote:
Drake is getting beat at their own game. Western Kentucky shooting 63% including 6-13 from the three point line. I hate the Drake.

Always nice to see a true fan.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #641
Jas_lov
College Starter

CBS has screwed me again. I can't even watch the Drake game on my TV as something went wrong with the feed. American only down by 2!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #642
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

48-40 as UT goes on an 8-0 run with a pair of threes. 8:46 to play.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #643
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Always nice to see a true fan.

I was never a true fan of Drake and never said I was. They're representing Iowa, they're sort of an underdog in the tourney, and I picked them to go to the Sweet 16 so of course I'd like to see them win. But I'm really an Iowa Hawkeyes fan. Western Kentucky still isn't missing any shots. 4 point play. Good God.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #644
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee up 50-43 with 7:01 left. American ball after a charging foul on Prince.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

57-51 UT with 4 minutes left after another Chism three.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #646
wade moore
lolzcat

Thanks for the update Jon.

I've discovered Sportsline's "GameCenter" it's actually pretty darned good.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Thanks for the update Jon.

I've discovered Sportsline's "GameCenter" it's actually pretty darned good.

Pearl finally seemed to have gotten it through their thick heads that some defense might be a good idea. Problem is that American is shooting threes better than the Vols and they definitely know they're right in this thing.

FT's cut it to 57-53 with 3:30 left.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #648
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Gonzaga is blowing it. 7 minutes left, Davidson is up by 1 point. Bulldogs are not looking real good now....
Old 03-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #649
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Gonzaga is not doing well with the FTs.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

UT up by 10 & at the line with 1:38 left.