Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow, clutch putt by McIlroy. Sky Sports is sure rooting for the kid openly that's for sure.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #102
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Rory McIroy has turned into Roy McAvoy
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #103
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This is Greg Norman-esk choking
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #104
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
This is Greg Norman-esk choking

Yeah. I was gone, came back and walked into his triple-bogey. Wow.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, this is intense. Great second shot for Tiger to get 5' away from an eagle and the lead. And then he blows the putt.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #106
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Tiger had made his eagle, I'd have been tempted to say it's over. This birdie putt at 16 could have a similar effect.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #107
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow. Tiger's about an inch from a three shot lead. He's had extremely narrow misses on the back nine.

If I had to put money on anybody right now, I'm tempted to put it on Schwartzel -- another case of The Masters or the US Open making a somebody out of nobody. Speaking of which, hey, it's Angel Cabrera! Of course, I can picture anybody -9 or better winning right now.

Sad thing for Rory is that he's already out of contention and his still puking all over himself. He's bringing 80 into play.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #108
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The dudes on SkySports are having a meltdown with Rory's choke job. They're trying to rationalize it, but this five-way tie is bonkers.

Tiger has to find some way to get the outright lead before he goes into the clubhouse.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #109
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Rory continuing his downward spiral. 7 over for the day. If only the tourney was 9 holes shorter.

And as I type this.. he knocks one into the tiniest creek on the course. He might end up over par for the tourney. Not that money matters that much to him but he just lost a lot of money and a lot of confidence.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-10-2011 at 04:34 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, I feel terrible for Rory. This is just awful.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #111
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Ogilvy or Tiger can get to -11, I like their chances. I'm not sure I see anyone getting to -12. Should we start planning the playoff?

Watch out for Scott and Day ... they seem to be dialing in.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-10-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
If Ogilvy or Tiger can get to -11, I like their chances. I'm not sure I see anyone getting to -12. Should we start planning the playoff?

Watch out for Scott and Day ... they seem to dialing in.

Yeah, no doubt we'll get a playoff I think unless a lot of dudes go Rory on the last few holes on the back nine.

Adam Scott just takes possession of 1st alone. I think Tiger just left too many shots on the board, again. (And I realize the absurdity of saying that when a guy goes -5 under on the last day)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #113
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Tiger must birdie 18 ... I don't see everyone puking and making -10 a playoff number.

When did Adam Scott change to the long putter? Seems to be helping.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Tiger must birdie 18 ... I don't see everyone puking and making -10 a playoff number.

When did Adam Scott change to the long putter? Seems to be helping.

Just before the World Match Play. Seems to be helping a lot.

Bo Van Pelt eagles to get to -10.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-10-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #115
kcchief19
Pro Starter

If Luke Donald doesn't find Rae's Creek on 12, he might have been the guy. He could still make it to -11. Five guys at -10, three more at -9? Wild finish.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #116
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Oh geez ... Scott just put an easy approach on 15 in the lumber yard.

Tiger's approach into 18 pretty much ends it for him. This is a nasty birdie putt.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #117
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Wow ... is Scott taking an unplayable or is he getting relief from the grandstand?

Guess he got a free drop. Even though it was a bad lie, he still ended up with a decent look at the hole. That was a bad pitch shot. If he three putts, everybody is back in this.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 04-10-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #118
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Win, lose or draw to get himself back into contention like that was masterful.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #119
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Looks like Scott might take it short of a major blunder off the tee going down the line.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow. Adam Scott.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #121
kcchief19
Pro Starter

And that shot on 16 just won Adam Scott the Masters.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And that shot on 16 just won Adam Scott the Masters.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM   #123
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Bah, tornado warnings cutting into the Masters. The Weatherman apologized for it at least.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #124
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Scott will need to make a big shot here...
Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #125
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If I had to put money on anybody right now, I'm tempted to put it on Schwartzel -- another case of The Masters or the US Open making a somebody out of nobody.

Nice work, sir.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #126
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Bah, tornado warnings cutting into the Masters. The Weatherman apologized for it at least.

It's been pretty calm here since the last storm rolled through. Hoping it stays that way.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #127
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It's been pretty calm here since the last storm rolled through. Hoping it stays that way.

We missed most of it last night and it looks like we won't get hit with the bad part of this storm but we'll still get some thunder and lightning. I will have to pull in my new car before the hail comes. Was hoping to get a little free car wash but not going to chance it with hail possible. lol

Last edited by mauchow : 04-10-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #128
Ryan S
Quarterback

I should have put money on Schwartzel yesterday when I tipped him here.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #129
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Whew. Now they can tell that scum Tiger to go home.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #130
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was one hell of a final round. I can't remember the last time so many people had a shot at winning going into the back 9 at a major.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #131
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'm glad Tiger finished well. good to see him back in the swing of things!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #132
kcchief19
Pro Starter

You can't take it away from Schwartzel, because he played well enough for three days to get into contention. But what an amazing flukey run to the title he had. He holes one shot out from the fairway, another long pitch shot and then he started draining long-distance putts in the birdie binge at the end.

I really thought that shot at 16 would cinch it for Scott. Then after he tried to throw it away he manages to scramble for pars.

Never would have thought anybody could finish with 4 straight birdies at Augusta to win like that. Hats off to him.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:56 PM   #133
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Yea the 4 straight birdies were pretty damn amazing. Seems like at hole 15 he decided, yea fuck this im gonna tear it up. And then on 18 needing a two putt to win, he's like hell with that, watch this bitches.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #134
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

You mean having sex again, right?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

Tiger doesn't seem to have learned a thing from this whole mess he put himself into. That interview just after he signed his scorecard was brutal. I get that you can't make firm comments until you find out if you're in a playoff or not, but the short, terse manner he used for his responses just showed that he's still a self-centered, grade A jackass. Show some class, Tiger. I actually do want to root for you, but maybe it's like wrestling. We need a 'heel' on the PGA Tour to root against to keep things interesting.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #136
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Tiger doesn't seem to have learned a thing from this whole mess he put himself into. That interview just after he signed his scorecard was brutal. I get that you can't make firm comments until you find out if you're in a playoff or not, but the short, terse manner he used for his responses just showed that he's still a self-centered, grade A jackass. Show some class, Tiger. I actually do want to root for you, but maybe it's like wrestling. We need a 'heel' on the PGA Tour to root against to keep things interesting.

Do that many people really root against him (I seriously don't know)?

He's certainly not personable, but I truthfully don't care, I just love watching the guy play.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #137
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
I had a strong dislike for Tiger before his meltdown and widely reported situation. Mainly due to the television coverage he was getting and the lack of coverage folks on the leaderboard were able to draw.

Nowadays, hes easily the most polarized golfer in the world. The majority of women dont like him for obvious reasons while on the other end are the drunken cigar smoking whales who treat him as a God.

I was in a Masters pool of about 40 people. Going into the tournament Phil was the heavy favorite with Tiger considered a #2. A few years ago there was a strict rule that stating that you COULDNT take Tiger, because literally everyone did while he was on his Championship run.

Generally, people dont pick golfers that they dont want to root for come Sunday.

95% of the entries had Phil

40% had Tiger

3% had Rory

Nobody took Charl.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #138
Radii
Head Coach

I'm 100% indifferent on tiger as far as his play goes. The only part about him that bothers me is the media coverage. I hated after day 3 when Rory was playing so great and there were like 7 other people between him and Tiger over half of the stories and the headline picture on ESPN were still about Tiger. I was at the time rooting for him to just fall out of contention because I *really* didn't want him to be 6 strokes back on Sunday yet getting half the attention if there was the logjam at the top. He played his way into contention and deserved all the coverage he got so fine, whatever.

I can't decide if I'm cherrypicking at MBBF's comments b/c I always assume he's going to say something silly here or not... but wasn't Tigers gruff short answers in the past a sign of competitiveness and a good thing? We didn't want him to be like everyone else on tour, we wanted him to get mad and give short answers because he wanted to win more than everyone else and that's one of the ways it shows. Now that he's an adulterer, its a sign that he's an asshole? I don't get it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #139
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Mainly due to the television coverage he was getting and the lack of coverage folks on the leaderboard were able to draw.

A friend who works at CBS told me yesterday afternoon that their ratings guys calculate the difference between Tiger being in the mix and not is about 4.5 points.

Pretty easy coverage decision.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #140
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Wasn't Tigers gruff short answers in the past a sign of competitiveness and a good thing? We didn't want him to be like everyone else on tour, we wanted him to get mad and give short answers because he wanted to win more than everyone else and that's one of the ways it shows. Now that he's an adulterer, its a sign that he's an asshole? I don't get it.

No, he was a jackass before. It's just that most people made excuses for it as you rightly point out. We don't have many doing that anymore.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #141
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, he was a jackass before.

This. I can't say that I root any harder against him now than I did before, I figured out I couldn't stand the SOB before his wife figured out the same.

Quote:
We don't have many doing that anymore.

I'd argue that there aren't as many, but I'm not sure that brings it down to the level of "not many", if that makes sense. I think the bigger difference might be in fewer excuses but more people willing to at least tacitly admit that they simply don't care if he's a jackass.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #142
Kevin
High School JV

Quote:

I am not a big tiger fan...... except when he does those interviews. It's about time pro athletes call out the numbskull reporters for asking inane bullshit questions. I would have cheered more if he had just said "stupid question... next?"
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
A friend who works at CBS told me yesterday afternoon that their ratings guys calculate the difference between Tiger being in the mix and not is about 4.5 points. Pretty easy coverage decision.

And that sounds like the figure for "new Tiger", I'd be surprised if the number for "old Tiger" wasn't even higher.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #144
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I think Tiger needs to be him self. And not be a cyborg of nike.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #145
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy good drama going on right now if you're not watching. Leader was ahead by four with four holes to go. He's now on the 17th tee only one shot ahead. Fun stuff.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #146
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

And it's now a tie. Four shot lead gone in three holes. One hole left to play.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #147
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Got home just in time to see this one done. Always enjoy when new guys come out of the woodwork to capture a major.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #148
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Now we need a bogey and birdie here.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #149
Thomkal
Head Coach

I turned off the TV when Dufner had a 5 shot lead at one point only to turn it back on when the playoff started. He just looked totally spent at the end there. And who would have put odds on a Dufner/Bradley playoff when the tournament started? Absolutely no one of course. Crazy finish and tournament-the most double bogeys ever in a PGA championship.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #150
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

To miss ten cuts in a year and then to win a major? I guess it's important to get hot at the right time, no? Heck of a job.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.