Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #401
MJ4H
Coordinator

No, they have 7-10 extremely talented wide receivers. We will work on trying to fit into your exact formula of height requirements for next year I guess?

I do wonder where Joe Adams, Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, and Cobi Hamilton will be drafted, though. I don't keep up with that because it doesn't have much to do with being the best college receivers and I don't care much for the NFL, but it might be interesting to see.

Last edited by MJ4H : 12-04-2011 at 12:43 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #402
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
I'll be a little disappointed if Boise doesn't sneak in to a BCS game. 1 point loss to a solid TCU team ouch.

I don't see it happening.

LSU, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Clemson, Wisconsin, West Virginia are all in.

TCU will get in as they are ranked higher than the Big East champ. Alabama is a sure bet for at large.

So that only leaves two spots for the likes of Stanford, Boise State, Kansas State, South Carolina, and Michigan. I just don't see BSU getting selected in that scenario. If TCU wasn't an autobid, it would be a different story.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-04-2011 at 12:45 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #403
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
No, they have 7-10 extremely talented wide receivers. We will work on trying to fit into your exact formula of height requirements for next year I guess?

Good idea. If you want to beat a NFL type defense its best to do it with NFL type WRs.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:45 AM   #404
MJ4H
Coordinator

Well, let's see if anyone wants them, then. Do you think OSUs top 4 will be drafted before Arkansas's top 4? I honestly have no idea, I'm just asking.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #405
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, let's see if anyone wants them, then. Do you think OSUs top 4 will be drafted before Arkansas's top 4? I honestly have no idea, I'm just asking.

Blackmon will be a top 10 pick from there a lot of the OSU WRs have developing to do. Cooper is the Welker type and plays the role well but I doubt if he has NFL speed.

Childs was a solid NFL propect(not sure anymore) but Adams and Wright are on the short side so they are probably not going to be drafted high.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-04-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #406
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Big. Ten. Champs.

What a game. Win or lose, that was ridiculous. Even better that Bucky pulled it out.

Now to get smoked by Oregon...lol
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #407
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Oh, and dola, I have been saying all night, the BCS voters better have enough sense to at least give OSU a chance in the National Title game. A conference championship, especially the Big 12, and the way they did it, should mean something - and they should get the nod over Alabama.

Now I don't actually think anyone can beat LSU, but I think OSU should get the shot rather than a rematch with the Tide.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #408
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I certainly think Oklahoma State has a better chance to beat LSU than the Giants did to beat the Patriots.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 AM   #409
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post

Now I don't actually think anyone can beat LSU,

What makes you think that? LSU deserves the position they are in and have had a great season but I hardly think they are unbeatable. Bama blew so many chances to beat them the first time around and they looked like complete buttcrack in the first half of tonights game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-04-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #410
DeToxRox
Head Coach

New

BCS Guru:

Here's the projected final BCS Standings:
1. LSU, 2. Oklahoma State, 3. Alabama, 4. Stanford, 5. Oregon, 6. Boise State, 7. Arkansas, 8. Kansas State, 9. South Carolina, 10. Wisconsin, 11. Baylor, 12. Virginia Tech, 13. Michigan, 14. Houston, 15. Oklahoma, 16. Michigan State, 17. Clemson, 18. TCU, 19. Georgia, 20. Nebraska.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #411
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
New

BCS Guru:

1. LSU, 2. Oklahoma State, 3. Alabama, 4. Stanford, 5. Oregon, 6. Boise State, 7. Arkansas, 8. Kansas State, 9. South Carolina, 10. Wisconsin, 11. Baylor, 12. Virginia Tech, 13. Michigan, 14. Houston, 15. Oklahoma, 16. Michigan State, 17. Clemson, 18. TCU, 19. Georgia, 20. Nebraska.

That would be great. I hope he is correct.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #412
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BCSGuru BCS Guru

OK, don't shoot me ... Alabama will be ahead in both polls and OSU will be a full spot ahead in the computers ...

BCSGuru BCS Guru

Coaches will have Bama at No. 2 as will Harris voters. BUT ... I'm projecting OSU to be at No. 2 in the BCS standings.

BCSGuru BCS Guru

The margin will be very slim, but enough voters will flip in both polls to put OSU over the top. The VT loss helped big-time.

BCSGuru BCS Guru

Couple more quickies: TCU gets no love from computers and not enough from voters to move into top 16 ...

BCSGuru BCS Guru

Michigan gets into the top 14, thanks in part to the blowout loss by OU - not from computers, but voters.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #413
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jerry Palm has Michigan vs West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl FWIW. I haven't seen any other predictions from him, just what was posted on a UM forum.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #414
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Here is BCSGuru's blog, I was finally able to access it

Quote:
In a stunning turn of events, Oklahoma State will face LSU in the BCS Championship Game on Jan. 9, not Alabama, as had been widely believed until the wee hours Saturday night.

The final BCS Standings will be close between OSU and Alabama, with the computers unanimously locking in the Cowboys at No. 2 and Alabama at No. 3. And then it would be up to the voters to render their final verdict.

More of them will still have Alabama at No. 2, in both the coaches and Harris polls, but OSU's edge in the computers will be enough to overcome the Crimson Tide's advantage in the two human polls.

A few things that happened tonight turned the tide:

* Oklahoma State's impressive victory over Oklahoma was a resounding statement. The Cowboys proved that not only they could score, but they could play sound defense and cause game-changing turnovers.

* Virginia Tech's blowout loss against Clemson removed a direct competitor for the precious No. 2 votes, not to mention the all-important No. 3 votes. Remember, OSU was No. 5 in both polls coming into Saturday night's game.

* CBS's shameless and disingenuous cheerleading for Alabama ultimately will prove to have done more harm to the Tide than help. If CBS had done nothing, it's likely it wouldn't have caused enough voters to have such a revulsion to decline an LSU-Alabama rematch. Whereas Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson definitely made the difference in Florida's favor in 2006, the opposite must be said in this case.

* Finally, the fact that the only other worthy 1-loss teams: Alabama, Stanford and Boise State all failed to win their respective conferences bolstered OSU's case. Even though the BCS never made that a requirement to reach the title game, many voters would like to consider that a prerequisite.

So that's the shocking conclusion to this strange regular season that really proved that LSU is unquestionably the best team in the land. But because of the system that we have, the Tigers will have to play one more game to make it official. They're probably glad that it won't be the Crimson Tide.

There will be more drama beyond the unveiling of the participants in the BCS title game. For more analysis - and the BCS Bowl Projections, check tomorrow morning at SB Nation.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #415
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here's the projected final BCS Standings

If he's right, that's a fucking joke.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #416
MJ4H
Coordinator

Is this the same guy? LSU vs. OSU BCSNCG and Michigan vs. West Virginia Sugar Bowl? Something doesn't add up there. Where the hell is Alabama?
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #417
DeToxRox
Head Coach

All I know is I hope to god we don't play Alabama. A. Bama absolutely brutalizes us and B. we open 2012 up against Alabama so playing them back to back in essence would hurt that game quite a bit.

Plus Stanford vs Alabama is a much better game and I bet NFL teams would love to see tape of Luck vs one of the nation's two best defenses.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #418
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Is this the same guy? LSU vs. OSU BCSNCG and Michigan vs. West Virginia Sugar Bowl? Something doesn't add up there. Where the hell is Alabama?

My bad for not clarifying. Different from Jerry Palm who had UM?WVU. I just posted that because Palm is considered one of the definitive sources with the BCS but that was the only game I saw predicted by him.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #419
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
I bet NFL teams would love to see tape of Luck vs one of the nation's two best defenses.

I know I would like to see this.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #420
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I know I would like to see this.

Bama would ultimately win by two plus scores just because their skill players are not going to be able to win one on one battles against the Bama back seven. I doubt Luck would have an absolutely terrible game but the odds would be stacked against him having a great game.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #421
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I feel bad for Michigan State. They are getting passed over by Nebraska, who will likely face South Carolina in the Cap One bowl meaning MSU gets a tougher game (vs Arky) in a lower bowl game (Outback). That has to hurt.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 12-04-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #422
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Off my A game. Meant MSU is going to the Outback.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 AM   #423
MJ4H
Coordinator

Pretty sure Arkansas will be in Cap One Bowl or Cotton at worst. Not Alamo (?!)
Old 12-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #424
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Is this guru guy reliable DeToxRox? I mean just a few hours ago Herbstreet made it sound like Okie St had NO CHANCE. I cant believe he would be so wrong.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #425
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Pretty sure Arkansas will be in Cap One Bowl or Cotton at worst. Not Alamo (?!)

When I typed Nebraska I instantly had flashbacks to the 2005 Alamo Bowl. Awful, awful flashbacks. I meant Outback. Both Nebraska and Michigan sites have been saying if either team was in the Capital One bowl they would play South Carolina, though obviously that isn't exactly expert prognostication.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #426
MJ4H
Coordinator

ESPN has been campaigning hard for Bama. I wouldn't trust a word out of their mouths. Pretty clear they are trying to influence voters and it's sickening.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #427
bronconick
College Starter

I have a hard time believing anyone can project this, especially if it's "razor-thin".

We're talking about humans voting, which is quite possibly, even likely to go squirrely in some fashion, no? SEC coaches, er SID's downvoting OSU, other conferences countering on 'Bama, some coach/SID refusing to do so out of some odd sense of honor, 115 random morons in the other poll with tenuous connections to anything.

I mean, there isn't enough there even if someone can get hold of 10% of the pollsters and their lists now, is there? This isn't an election where you can get a rough estimate from exit polls.

Last edited by bronconick : 12-04-2011 at 01:30 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #428
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Is this guru guy reliable DeToxRox? I mean just a few hours ago Herbstreet made it sound like Okie St had NO CHANCE. I cant believe he would be so wrong.

I have seen him referenced a lot as a legitimate prognosticator. All these BCS "gurus" tend to blend together over time though so it's hard to say but a lot of them are saying it'll be OSU in the title game.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #429
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
When I typed Nebraska I instantly had flashbacks to the 2005 Alamo Bowl. Awful, awful flashbacks. I meant Outback. Both Nebraska and Michigan sites have been saying if either team was in the Capital One bowl they would play South Carolina, though obviously that isn't exactly expert prognostication.

It's possible that Cap One would take SC, but I think it would be solely because Arkansas fans are idiots and have been talking on Cap One's twitter account about preferring to go to Dallas and telling Cap One not to pick us.

We may have pretty good receivers, but we have dumbfuck fans.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #430
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I have a hard time believing anyone can project this, especially if it's "razor-thin".

We're talking about humans voting, which is quite possibly, even likely to go squirrely in some fashion, no?

A lot of these guys have a handle on how the computers will play out and then make room for error with voters. From what I can tell, Okie State will be ahead of Alabama enough in the computers that as long as they are unanimously #3 in the polls they will be ahead of Alabama.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #431
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
It's possible that Cap One would take SC, but I think it would be solely because Arkansas fans are idiots and have been talking on Cap One's twitter account about preferring to go to Dallas and telling Cap One not to pick us.

We may have pretty good receivers, but we have dumbfuck fans.

Heh, well yeah at this point it's all about who has the most fans who will travel and draw the biggest TV rating which is why Michigan is a lock to play in a BCS game. Nebraska fans are lunatics who will sell whatever stadium they go to out which makes them so valuable. Not sure how it is with Arky and South Carolina.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #432
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas travels well, but would obviously blow Dallas up compared to Orlando. Cotton has several advantages over Cap One besides being closer, so it wouldn't bother me much to get passed over.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #433
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

We're talking about humans voting, which is quite possibly, even likely to go squirrely in some fashion, no? SEC coaches, er SID's downvoting OSU, other conferences countering on 'Bama, some coach/SID refusing to do so out of some odd sense of honor, 115 random morons in the other poll with tenuous connections to anything.

I mean, there isn't enough there even if someone can get hold of 10% of the pollsters and their lists now, is there? This isn't an election where you can get a rough estimate from exit polls.

They can predict the computers. And I think they can predict how many votes it would take to sway voters over. They can also look at what the results for teams like Virginia Tech and even Houston will have. For instance, OSU was behind VT in the Coach's poll. So you can assume OSU will be moving up from at least 5th to 4th after that win (maybe even 3rd). Houston may have also been ahead of OSU on some ballots and that would change.

So basically they can predict what the results would be now that Virginia Tech would no longer be 3rd in the polls and OSU moving up. That game was huge and no one seems to be talking about it.

It's going to be close, but Virginia Tech losing will probably get them into the NC game.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-04-2011 at 01:50 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #434
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ah, I thought there was just the top 12 rule for non-BCS auto qualifying, but no provision if they were ahead of a BCS conference champ. Now I see that even if they are higher than a BCS champ, then they still have to be top 16. It will be tough for TCU, because they are 18th and the 15-17 all won. Also, #20 Clemson won and will likely leapfrog them. Boise State might get selected after all.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #435
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Ah, I thought there was just the top 12 rule for non-BCS auto qualifying, but no provision if they were ahead of a BCS conference champ. Now I see that even if they are higher than a BCS champ, then they still have to be top 16. It will be tough for TCU, because they are 18th and the 15-17 all won. Also, #20 Clemson won and will likely leapfrog them. Boise State might get selected after all.

Boise had to have won their conference to get selected as an AQ. They won't get selected as an At Large.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #436
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And Ok State pulling ahead in the computers is not surprising considering they are already ahead of Alabama in 2 of the 6 computer polls.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 12-04-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #437
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Boise had to have won their conference to get selected as an AQ. They won't get selected as an At Large.

I knew they wouldn't get in as AQ. I posted earlier that they had no chance at At Large if TCU was AQ. Maybe they still won't get selected At Large, but they certainly have a better shot without TCU in the mix.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 AM   #438
RainMaker
General Manager

It was a close race last week. And basically OSU will gain in the computers and gain in the coaches poll thanks to the VT loss.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #439
RainMaker
General Manager

Boise isn't getting an at-large either. Kind of shitty since they'll finish 6th, maybe even 5th in the BCS.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
we open 2012 up against Alabama so playing them back to back in essence would hurt that game quite a bit.

On a smaller level but same thing happened to us this year. We played Nebraska last year, again in the Holiday Bowl, then played the back end of a home and home this year. Seeing the same team 3 times in under a year was kind of lame.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 AM   #441
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can someone tell me what Boise State's strength of schedule ended up being?

I would love to see LSU/OSU and not Alabama. That would be something different (i.e., they didn't play this year). We've already had LSU/Alabama (as we do every year). Bowl games are supposed to match up teams that haven't played each other or have rarely played each other.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #442
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Bowl games are supposed to match up teams that haven't played each other or have rarely played each other.

Not the BCS bowls.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #443
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Not the BCS bowls.

Which is one of the reasons BCS (and the contrived Chapionship Game) sucks.

Was it really so bad that the winner of the SEC went to the Sugar, winner of the Big12 went to the Orange, the Rose gets Big10/Pac12? If you really had to know who was #1, just let the AP pick someone or two. It's not that hard and it doesn't need to be any more important than that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #444
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Which is one of the reasons BCS (and the contrived Chapionship Game) sucks.

Was it really so bad that the winner of the SEC went to the Sugar, winner of the Big12 went to the Orange, the Rose gets Big10/Pac12? If you really had to know who was #1, just let the AP pick someone or two. It's not that hard and it doesn't need to be any more important than that.

There is obviously a large contingent that disagrees with this, otherwise it would still be the way it used to be.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #445
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Bowl games are supposed to match up teams that haven't played each other or have rarely played each other.

They are supposed to make as much money as possible for the company who runs it.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #446
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
All I know is I hope to god we don't play Alabama. A. Bama absolutely brutalizes us and B. we open 2012 up against Alabama so playing them back to back in essence would hurt that game quite a bit.

Plus Stanford vs Alabama is a much better game and I bet NFL teams would love to see tape of Luck vs one of the nation's two best defenses.

I'm not sure how much Michigan will like playing 'Bama next year even when they lose maybe just over half of their two deep, but they want no part of 'Bama this year. Robinson will easily get at least two INTs and that's partly assuming he can stay vertical long enough against that physical of a defense. The only saving grace would be 'Bama not wanting to be there.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #447
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

SI's bowl projections based on OSU, or 'Bama going to the title game and yes, it's 'Bama vs. Michigan if OSU plays LSU.

Bowl projections look at LSU-Alabama, LSU-Oklahoma State ripples - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

13 Injured and 2 in critical OSU aftermath.

Official: 13 hurt when fans storm Okla. St. field - NCAA Football - SI.com

I'm still stunned at how much an egg OU laid in that game and how it was the only way OSU had a chance to play in the title game. Whatever my opinion of Stoops was before this game, it went mightily down. For the supposed #3 preseason team to get beat by T.T. at home and mauled in embarrassing fashion in a rivalry speaks of how horribly overrated this team was.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-04-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #448
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I still chuckle at people saying Landry Jones is a top 10 pick. I just don't see it at all.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #449
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
I still chuckle at people saying Landry Jones is a top 10 pick. I just don't see it at all.

He's either incredibly accurate, or horribly off. And a lot of times he can be both in the same possession. It is strange to watch. And he really has missed Ryan Broyles these past few weeks. That was his security blanket to throw to.

Last edited by cartman : 12-04-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #450
Izulde
Head Coach

Count me in as one of those hoping for Oklahoma State to get in over Alabama.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote