Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Official College Football Week 1 thread

The season kicks off this week! There are only a couple of matchups between Top 25 teams:

Georgia at Clemson
LSU vs. TCU at AT&T Cowboys Stadium

There are games from Thursday to Monday. Can't wait to finally see some college football again!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers opens at Fresno State Thursday night. 10:30pm start for us here, going to be weird getting fired up for a football game that late.

Fresno is something like an 11 point favorite which I thought seemed high. Our defense has a lot to replace from a great unit last year, but there's talent throughout coming up. The secondary is very green though, and coupled with going up against Derek Carr, I guess I see why the line is shaping up like that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

College Football Week 1 Televised Games
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

While true Top 25 matchups are slight this week,there's several interesting games (or games that could be interesting)

UNC vs #6 South Carolina is the one that stands out to me, I know nothing odd should happen, but ... that's why they play the games, right?

The other T25 teams that might have interesting games would be
Toledo at #11 Florida
#24 USC at Hawaii
#1 Alabama vs Va Tech
maybe even Boise at Washington and/or Northwestern at Cal.

Close games,even with wins, might change the perceptions of some of those teams.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really excited for next Saturdays game. We open the new stadium with a big test against Boise State. The place should be rocking.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ohio State Buckeyes made NFL scouts swap shirts, according to report - ESPN

Quote:
Don't wear blue while watching Ohio State practices.

Apparel resembling the colors of rival Michigan are not welcome while coach Urban Meyer has a say, no matter if the offenders are fans, media members, or, reportedly, NFL scouts.

At least two NFL scouts who wore blue while observing Ohio State at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center this month were told to change their shirts, according to a report by Fox Sports Ohio.

Staffers informed the scouts of Meyer's rule and some Buckeyes players even yelled at the scouts, according to the report. The school then gave the scouts Ohio State shirts to wear while watching practice.

Other NFL scouts who were not directly involved told Fox Sports Ohio the incident was "embarrassing" and could have been avoided.

"It's just not something that needed to happen," a scout said. "It could have been handled much better, and if that (blue-shirt) rule is going to be enforced, they could let us know."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
maybe even Boise at Washington and/or Northwestern at Cal.

Close games,even with wins, might change the perceptions of some of those teams.
Boise State opening up the new Husky Stadium should be a pretty compelling game. The Huskies will jump into the top-25 with a win, and it's one of the few times you get back-to-back rematches, as the last game each team played was against each other in last year's Las Vegas Bowl.

Plus you get some awards candidates in action in TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (assuming his broken pinkie allows it and Sark doesn't suspend him), RB Bishop Sankey, WR Kasen Williams, LB Shaq Thompson, DT Danny Shelton and QB Keith Price looking to bounce back from a disappointing 2012 season.

Only down side is that the current weather forecasts call for rain, so the that - combined with it being a night game - mean you might not get a lot of great scenic shots from the stadium.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Absurd.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa hosts Northern Illinois. This is a tough start for Iowa.
Im kind of excited. Im hoping to be real excited after the game.
Iowa has a new QB, Jake Ruddock, who played for one of the best HS programs in the nation.
A rebuilt O Line. This line could be very good.
We added a some speed with JUCO WRs.
3 returning starting LBs.
A D Line that is a year older. But not sure if that will mean much.

I see a record of anywhere between 2-10 to 8-4. It could be that type of season.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Cuckoo
College Starter

Oklahoma with a QB competition for the first time since 2007 and, surprisingly, the redshirt freshman Trevor Knight beat out junior Blake Bell, who has played well in short yardage package the past couple of seasons. Practices were closed, but in the spring game, Bell looked quite easily like the better choice. Word is that Knight runs extremely well and looked great over the past couple of weeks to win the job.

OU hasn't had a mobile QB in years, so I'm excited to see what he can do. In contrast to Landry Jones in '09 and even Sam Bradford in '07, Knight comes in with a lot of experience and talent around him on offense. Defense? Well, that's another matter...

Louisiana-Monroe is the Week 1 opponent, and though I don't know much about them, apparently they beat Arkansas last year and played Baylor pretty close.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV @ Minnesota on Thursday. I think it's a winnable game because I can't remember the last time the Gophers were actually relevant in football, and it's Bowl or Bust this year for Hauck.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Going to be a crazy weekend in lil ole Clemson, sc
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

So, are blue jeans ok to wear?

I'm interested to see the OLs for 'Bama and Michigan as those are the areas of being the biggest question marks.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hopefully IU takes care of Indiana State with ease on Thursday night.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's the only time in the season Kansas will be ranked as high as 3rd in the Big XII as that's where they are alphabetically?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
britrock88
Pro Starter

Pumped for Carolina/Scarolina Thursday night, even as the 11-point dogs, and even as I expect the Heels will wear something garish.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

BYU travels to Virginia, I am excited to see what the new offense can do.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
bhlloy
Coordinator

Kiffin decided because the guy he wanted to win the starters job didn't look the best throughout training camp, he's going with co-starters vs Hawaii. Sigh.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm pretty excited to see this Georgia tech team play, but unfortunately the early season is pretty poor for that. Open with Elon, who are the Phoenix but might as well be elon musk running around by himself. Then a weird/horribly timed off week before opening the acc with the fighting cutcliffes of duke.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Going to be a crazy weekend in lil ole Clemson, sc

My wife and I will be there with our 2 boys, as she wants to get in at some crazy early time to town so we can swing by College Gameday and then head off to lunch before the serious tailgating gets underway. Really excited for that atmosphere... I hope the Tigers give the fans reason to get into and STAY into the game.

Last edited by Butter : 08-26-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I'm pretty excited to see this Georgia tech team play, but unfortunately the early season is pretty poor for that. Open with Elon,

I was at the infamous Gardner-Webb game ... I hope they don't take Elon too lightly.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

Calvin Booker isn't the 3rd string qb. This is a name your score game.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Kiffin decided because the guy he wanted to win the starters job didn't look the best throughout training camp, he's going with co-starters vs Hawaii. Sigh.

Some thoughts:

1. As a UCLA fan, I delight in any quandary in the USC camp, of course, but...
2. ...I want Kiffin to remain the coach at USC, because as long as he is there, an actually good coach won't be...
3. ...so Kiffin screwing this one up only furthers the likelihood he will be gone after this season and USC will spend Urban Meyer money on a quality replacement.

Oh, and 4. it's completely annoying that the muddled QB situation for a likely at best 8-4, mid-division squad like USC has gotten so much national play.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Some thoughts:

1. As a UCLA fan, I delight in any quandary in the USC camp, of course, but...
2. ...I want Kiffin to remain the coach at USC, because as long as he is there, an actually good coach won't be...
3. ...so Kiffin screwing this one up only furthers the likelihood he will be gone after this season and USC will spend Urban Meyer money on a quality replacement.

Oh, and 4. it's completely annoying that the muddled QB situation for a likely at best 8-4, mid-division squad like USC has gotten so much national play.

Quoted for posterity. Even with the muddled QB situation this team is winning 10 games this year barring significant injuries to either Lee or key defensive players.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
britrock88
Pro Starter

You could both be right. A division-winning 8-4 USC team wins the PAC championship and the Rose Bowl to go 10-4.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Quoted for posterity. Even with the muddled QB situation this team is winning 10 games this year barring significant injuries to either Lee or key defensive players.

Quote away. USC has a weak schedule, so they could do pretty well, and neither guy Kiffin is deciding between is necessarily a bad QB. But USC has serious depth issues because of the sanctions and they will have to be very fortunate to get through the season without suffering key injuries which will make it difficult for them to keep up even in the Pac 12 South, much less the Pac 12 overall.

And if you're right, well...yippee, Kiffin for another year, lol! I hope they give him lifetime contract.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
You could both be right. A division-winning 8-4 USC team wins the PAC championship and the Rose Bowl to go 10-4.

Depends on the other team in said Rose Bowl.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Depends on the other team in said Rose Bowl.

Oh, don't get me wrong--my immediate family and cousins have graduated from half of the Big Ten schools. I hope you're right.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think OSU goes undefeated and thus are in the title game, but Kiffin wants no part of Meyer.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They certainly have a lot of talent, but we said that last year when they were being mentioned as possible BCS Title contenders...
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #31
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Even Karl Dorrell won 10 games at UCLA one year, so Kif winning 10 games this year is certainly plausible.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
My wife and I will be there with our 2 boys, as she wants to get in at some crazy early time to town so we can swing by College Gameday and then head off to lunch before the serious tailgating gets underway. Really excited for that atmosphere... I hope the Tigers give the fans reason to get into and STAY into the game.

I'll be set up by 8 am which means leaving home by 5:30..

If you make it near the Esso...I'll be in valley walk right behind there.

Hit me up if interested in some gate passes.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

I sent you a PM. We're going to have like 8-10 hours to wander around, so I imagine we'll make it over near there at some point.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'll be set up by 8 am which means leaving home by 5:30.. If you make it near the Esso...I'll be in valley walk right behind there.
Hit me up if interested in some gate passes.

Dear Tigers,
Please take care of business Saturday, m'kay?

Thx.

Bye.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
digamma
Torchbearer

+1
Old 08-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about the USC QB situation again and how the prevailing thought is that Kiffin wants to play Wittek against Hawaii to keep him in the program.

If I am Wittek, and I believe I have a potential NFL future, no way would I step on the field against Hawaii unless I am told in no uncertain terms I am the starter, and then I actually take that first snap.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #37
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I was thinking about the USC QB situation again and how the prevailing thought is that Kiffin wants to play Wittek against Hawaii to keep him in the program.

If I am Wittek, and I believe I have a potential NFL future, no way would I step on the field against Hawaii unless I am told in no uncertain terms I am the starter, and then I actually take that first snap.
Disagree. He's a RS-So, so if he wanted to go to another FBS program he'd only have his Sr. year to showcase himself (assuming he even wins the starting job). Better to just stick it out at USC, keep battling for the starting job there and know that Kiffin is on thin ice and there's a good chance he'll get another opportunity to prove himself in front of a new coaching staff within the next year or two.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Disagree. He's a RS-So, so if he wanted to go to another FBS program he'd only have his Sr. year to showcase himself (assuming he even wins the starting job). Better to just stick it out at USC, keep battling for the starting job there and know that Kiffin is on thin ice and there's a good chance he'll get another opportunity to prove himself in front of a new coaching staff within the next year or two.

He's a RS-SO who hasn't stepped on the field this year yet. So his sophomore year would be his transfer year--if he doesn't step on the field against Hawaii and transfers to a late starting Division 1 school.

My point is based on the presumption Kiffin wants to get him on the field for a snap to keep him in the program when he doesn't intend for Wittek to be the starter. That wouldn't be in Wittek's best interest.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
duckman
Pro Starter

Manziel is suspended for, get this, one half against Rice by the NCAA.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
Manziel is suspended for, get this, one half against Rice by the NCAA.

That's not an official suspension, right? Just their recommendation to A&M?

I presume A&M will go ahead and do it. They will beat Rice no matter who they have under center. They might even hold him out the whole game just to be safe.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #41
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The deal is between NCAA and A&M officially apparently:

Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M Aggies suspended for 1st half of season opener against Rice Owls - ESPN

The article says that this "closes the book on this issue"
Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am fine with this suspension. It's a stupid rule in the first place.

Play on, Johnny "Fucking" Football! Play on!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #43
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Even if it increases the odds of A&M beating 'Bama, I want 'Bama to beat them with him playing.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Taking the Heels and 13 points tomorrow night is getting awfully tempting.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #45
britrock88
Pro Starter

Up to 13? Wow. Let's shock the world twice--bad unis AND a big upset!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #46
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I just wanted to complain that I live 5 driving minutes from a stadium where D1 football is played, the tailgating is actually fantastic if you can believe it (seriously, they do it really well here), and the ticket prices are as low as $5 for tonight's game (and most games every season). Why am I complaining? It is UConn, and I hate them. I can't tailgate with UConn fans and I'm not paying even $1 to watch them play Towson tonight. On top of that, it muffs up all the traffic on my way home for these Thursday night games, of which the AAC plays plenty.

Edited to add: They do host Michigan later this season. I can buy a Michigan tshirt and party with some of their fans, right???

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 08-29-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #47
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Edited to add: They do host Michigan later this season. I can buy a Michigan tshirt and party with some of their fans, right???

Of course! My people are a welcoming people.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 08-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #48
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The deal is between NCAA and A&M officially apparently:

Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M Aggies suspended for 1st half of season opener against Rice Owls - ESPN

The article says that this "closes the book on this issue"

Is it true that Johnny will be signing autographs for that first half? I've got the money.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #49
Izulde
Head Coach

Fire Bobby Hauck's sorry ass. I wanted him gone at the end of last year.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Turns out Kessler gets the start and the first half is his.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote