World Champion Mis-speller

That's what she said

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:39 PM   #602
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: East Lansing

Am I interpreting the various articles (yesterday and now today) correctly: they basically just put somebodies YouTube feed/site on their big screen?
Old 10-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #603
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Yeah, something wasn’t right with our offense. TBH I’d give him at least a year unless there was something serious that came out of the locker room
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #604
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seems clear that the assistant is fucked. How many others go down with him feels like the question still TBD.

Sources - Michigan staffer bought tickets at 10 Big Ten schools - ESPN
Old 10-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #605
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seems clear that the assistant is fucked. How many others go down with him feels like the question still TBD.

Sources - Michigan staffer bought tickets at 10 Big Ten schools - ESPN
Definitely sounds like he is toast. What would the expected school punishment be? Will this along with the other Harbaugh trouble be enough for the dreaded LOIC?
Old 10-23-2023, 03:04 PM   #606
HerRealName
College Prospect

Plausible deniability doesn't exist for football coaches but I seriously doubt the coaching staff was unaware of this operation. The guy was a volunteer initially. He wasn't hired until 2022 after he proved his worth.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Definitely sounds like he is toast. What would the expected school punishment be? Will this along with the other Harbaugh trouble be enough for the dreaded LOIC?

As vaguely as the rule is worded, I suspect it'd be a tough one to get any real penalties for without cooperation.

It'd more likely be up to UM to do the right thing, and we all know the odds of a major university doing THAT.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:09 PM   #608
Swaggs
Coordinator

Collecting the film is one thing. Someone in the department had to receive it and process and game plan from it. If there is proof of that, there should be severe consequences.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:29 PM   #609
HerRealName
College Prospect

Has there been an example of on-field cheating like this before? I can't think of anything like this at the NCAA level so I doubt there's a precedent.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #610
HerRealName
College Prospect

Between the roughly 40 games scouted and the videos and pictures of this UM staffer in the ears of the OC/DC/Harbaugh with binders of stolen signals, it sure seems like UM is in some deep, deep trouble.

One of my best friends is a Michigan fan. He went from mocking the "vast conspiracy" language to just saying "this is bad" over and over again.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:07 PM   #611
molson
General Manager

I remember when Marcia Brady thought that the hunky QB from the rival football team was into her, but he was really just trying to steal Greg's playbook at the Brady house. But Greg found out about it and planted a fake playbook to screw them up. But Mike Brady told him that that would just be lowering himself to the other guy's level. Eventually the other guy's coach finds out about it and kicks him off the team.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Eventually the other guy's coach finds out about it and kicks him off the team.

Proof that sitcoms are fiction
Old 10-25-2023, 07:11 AM   #613
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Based just on the screenshots linked in this reddit thread, I don't see how Harbaugh makes it through the season, let alone more.

Blocked

I also don't see how he'll automatically get an NFL job, it's not like cheating at one thing means he'll be completely legit at another.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:50 AM   #614
Swaggs
Coordinator

Remaining undefeated teams going into this weekend:

Quote:
7-0 Florida State plays at 4-3 Wake Forest.

7-0 Oklahoma plays at 5-2 Kansas.

7-0 Ohio State plays at 5-2 Wisconsin.

8-0 Michigan is on bye.

7-0 Liberty plays at 4-3 Western Kentucky (tues night).

7-0 Air Force plays at 3-4 Colorado State.

7-0 Washington plays at 2-5 Stanford.

7-0 Georgia plays at 5-2 Florida*

7-0 James Madison plays 4-3 Old Dominion.

Other that Michigan, who loses this week? I could see every undefeated team win.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:04 AM   #615
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Based just on the screenshots linked in this reddit thread, I don't see how Harbaugh makes it through the season, let alone more.

Blocked

I also don't see how he'll automatically get an NFL job, it's not like cheating at one thing means he'll be completely legit at another.

I'm an tOSU grad so my news stream is filled with pics and video about this. To me, it's not so much about who said the guy did what or which tickets he bought. It's videos like this that show the guy on the sidelines using the info or pics like this that are pretty clear sign stealing. And now the uproar is getting big enough that the NCAA is more likely to actually DO something.

The only reasonable course of action is to burn the campus, salt the earth, and remove both maize and blue colors from the visible spectrum.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:07 AM   #616
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

It's the most damning binder since Mitt Romney.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:09 AM   #617
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's all perfectly reasonable so long as we're willing to get rid of most other major college programs while we're at it.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:27 AM   #618
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

So, someone filmed the Michigan sideline to obtain information that leads one to conclude that a Michigan representative might have filmed an opponent's sideline to obtain information... not intended as a real argument, just that rules have to be followed and this information is available without breaking rules.

I feel a lot of frustration about this. At Harbaugh for letting relatively small violations he should have known better about in the first place become a big deal at the start of the season. Sign-stealing is a thing everywhere (the video evidence in question points more to that than the source), but there are certain lines you can't cross in obtaining information and it appears likely that those lines were crossed.

And this is the year, you know. They have that rare opportunity with a deep roster and a quarterback who is "ready" - a legitimate Heisman candidate.

No matter how many times I say I'm done with the college game, and have been for a long time now, I can't help watching Michigan. There's no way I'd ever do a TCY2 and no matter how many times I write that, it's the most frequent question I receive.

I don't know why I care enough to watch. The illusion is gone - Power-Five football players are professional athletes who should have the same protections and bargaining agreement as any other professional athlete. I have no more connection to Michigan players, as someone who grew up in Ann Arbor and as an alum, than I have to players from any other school.

With great inequalities in recruiting (Michigan and Ohio State have access to players no other Big Ten school can sign), it's all remarkably silly in the end.

So I'm kind of looking at this season with this team as the opportunity to have one last blast with college sports. And now this stupidity, which seems entirely self-inflicted and unnecessary.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:39 AM   #619
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
So, someone filmed the Michigan sideline to obtain information that leads one to conclude that a Michigan representative might have filmed an opponent's sideline to obtain information... not intended as a real argument, just that rules have to be followed and this information is available without breaking rules.

Just to provide context, that video was captured by a Columbus TV station. They didn't film the UM sideline, they just captured that interaction behind the play taking place. That's why Stalions and Minter are out of focus.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #620
bob
College Starter

I hate Michigan, but I feel like i'm in bizarro world. I really don't see this as a big issue.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:17 PM   #621
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I believe every word in this article written by Dick Johnson

si.com

I guess Michigan finally has their own Unabomber...
Old 10-25-2023, 01:21 PM   #622
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
No matter how many times I say I'm done with the college game, and have been for a long time now, I can't help watching Michigan. There's no way I'd ever do a TCY2 and no matter how many times I write that, it's the most frequent question I receive.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if hundreds of voices cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #623
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

si.com

Sure does a pretty good job of painting the guy as one step short of being a certifiable nutjob.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #624
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

si.com

The father of one of my high school classmates was one of Kaczynski's targets. He was a popular professor at Michigan and was injured.

I think the community was already well aware of dangerous manifestos. Kaczynski did his masters and doctoral work in mathematics at Michigan.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 03:45 PM   #625
tarcone
Coordinator

KF has gone against the tradition of the coordinators having a presser during the bye week. Pile on the absurditu that is Iowa football.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:31 PM   #626
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Bobby Bowden pioneered it. Ferentz is perfecting it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-25-2023 at 04:31 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:29 PM   #627
RainMaker
General Manager

Sources: TCU knew of Michigan's sign-stealing scheme prior to CFP game, used 'dummy signals' to dupe Wolverines
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 06:37 PM   #628
GrantDawg

I want that to be true.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #629
Ksyrup

Anyone see the video of Mike Leach signalling at Todd Graham who was supposedly a known signal stealer, back during Leach's time at WSU? Hilarious.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-26-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #630
RainMaker
General Manager

I have no clue how common this is or how serious it is. The story is just bizarre. I still want to know who the private investigator was and who they were hired by. This story is so weird.
Old 10-26-2023, 07:21 PM   #631
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Don't forget their last OC is being investigated by the FBI.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:41 AM   #632
HerRealName
College Prospect

I hate to post what could be total bullshit but the story I've heard repeatedly is that the fired OC had something like 50 hours of Ohio State practice video on his computer. I guess we will see.
Old 10-27-2023, 08:44 PM   #633
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

When will they make the bad man Jim Harbaugh go away mommy
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:22 PM   #634
Atocep
Coordinator

Kansas has really blown this game against OU. They should be up 2 scores but instead trail by 1 with 2 minutes to go and OU has the ball.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:32 PM   #635
Atocep
Coordinator

Who wants to lose this game the most?
Old 10-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #636
bronconick
College Starter

Don't go into prevent, Kansas.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #637
bronconick
College Starter

Kansas ruins ESPN's next week of CFP "which undefeated P5 champ is left out?" discussion.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #638
Atocep
Coordinator

What a strange game. The late slide by the Kansas qb at the goal line that drew the targeting call was BS. I get that, by the rule, it was the correct call. But the slide was a mistake by the QB. QBs don't slide feet first in situations like that and the defender was thinking about stopping a score. In a weird situation like that the benefit of the doubt should go to the defender.
Old 10-28-2023, 03:58 PM   #639
GrantDawg

Georgia punking Florida. Florida came out with a good series to score a TD to start the game, but the Dawgs have just been cleaning their clock since.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-28-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:56 PM   #640
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tyler Van Dyke is awful.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #641
GrantDawg

It makes me wonder what Ladd's draft value is going to be.
I will apologize for the rest of my life on the recruiting rating of Ladd McConkey. Verified testing results, he eats up #SEC DB's.. #WHIFF
— Rusty Mansell (@RustyMansell_) October 28, 2023

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-28-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:16 PM   #642
RainMaker
General Manager

That Clemson team is bad and really weirdly coached.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:20 PM   #643
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That Clemson team is bad and really weirdly coached.
I don't think Dabo is getting that Bama HC job. He might end up a consultant there at some point to try to rehab his career. More likely he is coaching his way in to a job at Liberty, or some such place.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-28-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:50 PM   #644
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Tyler Van Dyke is awful.

He may not be entirely healthy but at this point I'd have gone with the backup that played last week.

But this is not a well coached team so you really can't figure on much that makes sense from them.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:54 PM   #645
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think Dabo is getting that Bama HC job. He might end up a consultant there at some point to try to rehab his career. More likely he is coaching his way in to a job at Liberty, or some such place.

That's probably a fair guess. At this point it might be better for everyone involved if Dabo simply went away somewhere far away from football, or at least college football.

It's possible for me to fundamentally agree with a lot of his takes on the state of the game and also recognize that he really has no business being a D1 coach at this point, the two things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:59 PM   #646
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It makes me wonder what Ladd's draft value is going to be.

Late 3rd if somebody falls in love with him
Old 10-28-2023, 07:09 PM   #647
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's probably a fair guess. At this point it might be better for everyone involved if Dabo simply went away somewhere far away from football, or at least college football.

It's possible for me to fundamentally agree with a lot of his takes on the state of the game and also recognize that he really has no business being a D1 coach at this point, the two things are not mutually exclusive.

He's not an X's and O's guy so recruiting and hiring are his biggest contributions. When those don't go well he's going to look like a very mediocre coach.

He struck lightening on a bottle with some of his assistant hires plus having Watson and Lawrence. His record is 85-35 without Watson/Lawrences based on my quick math so he's been your average Clemson coach without those guys.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:15 PM   #648
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

What's up with these 3rd and 5 runs by Ryan Day? You have the best WR in the game.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:23 PM   #649
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
His record is 85-35 without Watson/Lawrences based on my quick math so he's been your average Clemson coach without those guys.

The math is close, best I could find was a CBS Sports tweet on 10/23/21

Dabo Swinney's record as head coach
• with Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence: 66-5 (.930)
• with anyone else: 78-31 (.716)

So from that point they'd be 21-6, so 99-37 (.728)

Thing is though, he's not coached in the same environment as the average Clemson coach. He's enjoyed a considerably down ACC during this post-Watson/Lawrence era. And yet half the losses since are to unranked teams.

Most importantly though, he seems determined to coach in a world he wishes existed instead of the one that actually exists, I don't see a path for that to go any direction but down.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:50 PM   #650
Ksyrup

Still not sure FSU is going 13-0, but thanks Kansas. Wasn't expecting a matchup with Louisville in the ACC Championship that's for sure.