Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 PM   #501
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

dola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #502
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Yup, The Great One done....well, Great.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #504
Logan
Head Coach

Traveling this week...staying in a hotel room alone. If you would have told me before I left that Tuesday night's inspiration would have come from the NHL thread on FOFC...wow would I have been worried about myself.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #505
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Best of luck to Nodl in Carolina. I'll miss him.

He was a decent 3rd/4th liner. With the emergence of Matt Read and Sean Couturier he became expendable.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #506
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
He was a decent 3rd/4th liner. With the emergence of Matt Read and Sean Couturier he became expendable.

Indeed. Those were my exact thoughts on him yesterday further up the thread. I like him a lot when he was on the PK line with Betts, but Read and Cooter have been excellent on the PK this year.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #507
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Indeed. Those were my exact thoughts on him yesterday further up the thread. I like him a lot when he was on the PK line with Betts, but Read and Cooter have been excellent on the PK this year.

What did Nodl in was that he didn't score. Only 12 goals in 100+ games I believe.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #508
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What did Nodl in was that he didn't score. Only 12 goals in 100+ games I believe.

Agree with this completely. I just wish Homer would've at least tried to get a draft pick for the guy. I know cap space is pretty rare with the Flyers, but letting someone, anyone (other than Shelley/Walker) go for nothing is borderline unacceptable.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #509
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Blues are freaking hot.. and with many injuries to boot.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #510
JPhillips
General Manager

This surprised me. From Japer's Rink:
Quote:
.133 - Average increase in winning percentage for all mid-season coaching changes made in the NHL since the lockout.

If it held true for the Caps they would end the season with 111 points.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #513
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

New coach, SOS. This team is seriously hurting in the confidence department right now. Carolina played with good intensity and had a fair number of chances, but still lost to Florida, 3-1. As has been the case for much of the season, they are their own worst enemy with an ineffective power play and then mental mistakes resulting in opposing goals scored (Kaberle with another lapse on defense on the second goal though Ward should have made that save and then Ponikarovsky with a nifty fail at the blue line that resulted in an empty net game-clincher).

Muller's got his work cut out for him and it's going to take a little time to get things turned around (if ever as far as this season goes).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #515
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Saw my second regular season Jets game tonight, unfortunately another loss to the Sens. I felt the game could have gone either way, and that the Jets played pretty well after an ineffective first period. Refs made a couple questionable decisions that went the wrong way for us and ended up being game changers.

Regardless, it was so much fun! I took my Dad, I think it might have been the first hockey game I've been to with him since I was about 10 years old. I love you, Winnipeg Jets.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #516
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Blues played good hockey tonight and so did the Caps. I liked a lot of what I saw. Blues were able to take advantage of a couple of mistakes, one a positioning mistake and one a Vokoun can't control his rebounds at all mistake.

Despite Hunter saying he wasn't going to change much in just 2 practices, the pregame warmup routine was completely different, the offensive alignment and style was completely different (there was actual structure primarily through playing a center-high set), the neutral zone scheme was completely different, and the defensive set and coverages were completely different. I saw an attempt to play real hockey in DC for the first time since Ron Wilson was coach.

Boudreau had picked up the nickname Juggles The Clown due to his incessant juggling of lines from game to game and shift to shift. Hunter did not do a single line changeup until the 3rd period when Marcus Johannson was getting treatment in the training room for the first few minutes and Matt Hendricks spent 5 minutes in the box for a beauty of a fight (done right off a faceoff solely to pump up the team/crowd--we play like pussies no more). He then went back to the regular lines until the final shift with the goalie pulled and put on his six best scorers. It's so nice to have a competent coach who isn't going to needlessly screw with everything all the time.

Is he warming up for a re-match Thursday night?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #518
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
The question is already floating around about whether DJ King gets recalled by Thursday or if Hunter goes and finds another heavyweight to put on the 4th line when necessary.

MacIntyre was put on IR yesterday ("upper-body"). Engelland and Asham will surely dress.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #519
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Bruins beat the Leafs tonight, and finish the month of November without losing a game in regulation, going 12-0-1.

After the hideous start, this has been fun to watch.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #520
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Carolina has claimed The Noodler off waivers.

There are also rumors swirling around that the Ducks may be willing to trade Bobby Ryan. I know Ryan is struggling this year, but I am fan of the guy. Though I don't think it'd ever happen, the Wings could really use some youth and scoring on the wing.

I heard the Ducks' GM and two scouts were at the Sabres-Islanders game last night, and got a booth right next to the Sabres' booth. It sounds like the two teams have had some conversations. Miller was also in a trade rumor, but not sure to where and where that rumor is coming from.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-30-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #521
bhlloy
Coordinator

Boudreau replaces Carlyle as Ducks coach. Pleasantly surprised, with all his faults his style of play fits the current roster way better than Randy's did. Thanks for the cup but this team has been underperforming for years.

Very interested to see what this means for Bobby Ryan, I can't imagine Boudreau is going to be happy to see the first thing that happens is one of his best offensive players get dealt. Doesn't really make sense, I'm almost wondering if it isn't a crazy scheme by Murray to keep the Boudreau deal quiet, maybe he was worried another team might try a coaching switcheroo first?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #522
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Boudreau replaces Carlyle as Ducks coach. Pleasantly surprised, with all his faults his style of play fits the current roster way better than Randy's did. Thanks for the cup but this team has been underperforming for years.

Very interested to see what this means for Bobby Ryan, I can't imagine Boudreau is going to be happy to see the first thing that happens is one of his best offensive players get dealt. Doesn't really make sense, I'm almost wondering if it isn't a crazy scheme by Murray to keep the Boudreau deal quiet, maybe he was worried another team might try a coaching switcheroo first?

Sweeeeet.....Washington Capitals West!

Quote:
Old 12-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #523
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime 2 View Post
Bruins beat the Leafs tonight, and finish the month of November without losing a game in regulation, going 12-0-1.

This. Hell of a fun month.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #525
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Glad it was the Wings that made Boston have to use that qualifier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #526
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Hurricanes add MacLean to coaching staff.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #527
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

Interesting that the Original 6 NHL franchises are also the top 6 in total value out of all NHL franchises:

Detroit Red Wings - NHL | Forbes: Red Wings rank fourth in value at $336M | The Detroit News

Quote:
Old 12-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #528
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Red Wings are expected to host one of the next two Winter Classics. The Rangers are the other team in line. Seeing that the Rangers are playing in this years it reasons to think Detroit holds it next year. The NHL is also considering playing the game at the Big House in an effort to break the attendance record. I'd imagine Detroit vs Toronto would easily do that, but I can't see NBC being too thrilled in having a Canadian team playing the game.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #529
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have to think that Winnipeg will get an outdoor game in the next 2-3 years. We have the new team, we're building a new football stadium, and we have the climate. Seems like a perfect fit, to me.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #531
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Red Wings in talks with NHL to host outdoor game within next two seasons | MLive.com

Quote:
DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings are in deep discussions with the NHL about hosting an outdoor game within the next two seasons.

MLive.com has learned the Red Wings expect to host the annual Winter Classic either next season or in 2013-14.

The Red Wings would prefer to have the game at Comerica Park, home of the Tigers, also owned by Mike Ilitch. But it might take place at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor due to its huge capacity.

The stadium hosted the "Big Chill at the Big House" on Dec. 11, 2010, attracting a world record announced crowd of 113,411 in the game between Michigan and Michigan State.

Detroit and New York are in line for the next two NHL outdoor games in the U.S.

Since the New York Rangers play in this season’s Winter Classic on Jan. 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia against the Flyers, it stands to reason that Detroit would be the leading candidate to host next season’s game since the league is unlikely to have the same team (the Rangers) play in it two years in a row.

The Red Wings played in the 2009 Winter Classic at Chicago’s Wrigley Field, beating the Blackhawks 6-4.

A limited number of NHL cities in the U.S. can host these events due to climate. Buffalo, Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh already have hosted outdoor games.

Minnesota and Columbus probably would be the only other places capable of hosting the Winter Classic, but it’s doubtful NBC would want to show the Wild or the Blue Jackets, who would not garner good enough TV ratings.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #533
Logan
Head Coach

I doubt the Rangers get to host it next year, but whenever they do, please NHL, don't give in to pressure to host it at "historic" Yankee Stadium. Only baseball should be played there. It needs to be at a football stadium for the better viewing angles and increased capacity.

As an aside, is there anything that prevents a team from planning/playing an outdoor game on their own? Obviously it would be very expensive to host, but I'm thinking about a team like the Devils who would be pretty far down the list of being a team involved (both in general and as a NY area team). Could they give up a home game versus the Rangers, play at MetLife Stadium, charge their season ticket holders a premium, charge Rangers fans a higher premium, and get some extra money from NBC to offset the costs by scheduling it as a primetime event? There's no doubt some of the buzz will be gone by not having it branded with the Winter Classic and what comes with it, but I'm just wondering.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #534
Grover
Pro Starter

Random note: Mike Grier has retired.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #535
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

ESPN's side headline of "U.S.-born black player Grier retires from NHL" seems off for some reason, and I don't know why.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #536
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Bruins re-sign David Krejci for 3 yrs at 5.25/yr.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #537
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Dola

Interesting that the Original 6 NHL franchises are also the top 6 in total value out of all NHL franchises:

Detroit Red Wings - NHL | Forbes: Red Wings rank fourth in value at $336M | The Detroit News

Stands to reason when those six teams have been around forever and are in the markets they're in.

What will be interesting is if a team like Pittsburgh ousts one of the original six in 10 years as the "Crosby Generation" grows up and starts spreading their seed around North America.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 12-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #538
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Frustrating player to cheer for as he had speed and size, and used it appropriately, but no friggin' hands! BUT, he was always going balls to the wall and as a fan I appreciate that every day of the week.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #539
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
ESPN's side headline of "U.S.-born black player Grier retires from NHL" seems off for some reason, and I don't know why.

I assumed that he was the first U.S. born black player to make it, so I figured the headline made sense. The article only refers to him as "one of the first", so it's a bigger reach IMO if that's the case.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #540
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
...starts spreading their seed around North America.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #541
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bruins re-sign David Krejci for 3 yrs at 5.25/yr.

TB extended Hedman too, $4M per for 5 years.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #542
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

lol...exactly what happened with the fans of Original Six teams, right?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #543
DeToxRox
Head Coach

This will always be what I remember when people talk about Mike Grier:

Old 12-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #544
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

An very interesting interview with Scotty Bowman:

Red Light » Posts It’s the time of the season for NHL coaching upheaval «

Here are some quotes:

Bowman on the Caps:

“I don’t know how good that team is,” he says of the Capitals, wondering if they might have been long overrated. “They’re always in a weak division. They’re always with teams that have no money or don’t spend to the salary cap. They get in the playoffs and their competition is tougher.

“I think what happened with Boudreau, he replaced Glen Hanlon, and they weren’t playing for him,” he continues. ”They bought in Boudreau, some guy from the minors, and they started to win by playing all-out offense. They didn’t play any defense. Then they started to lose in the playoffs and he tried to change,” alluding to Boudreau trying to get his players to become more defensively responsible after having some regular season success playing another way. “I don’t think you can change. It’s too bad for Boudreau, but he bounced back right away.”

Bowman on the Ducks:

“Carlyle, I don’t understand. He was a big matcher. He always had a defensive line. The year they won the Cup (2007), it was Sami Pahlsson, Travis Moen and Robbie Niedermayer. He changed on the fly (to get them out against their opponent’s best forwards) and they played a very disciplined game.” But those three players are all gone now, the Ducks defense corps is not what it was, and Carlyle seemed to have taken a different approach by playing his best forwards in situations where he previously used checkers.

“I’ve been watching them the last month and a half,” Bowman said. “The goalie wasn’t what he was, but their defense corps is horrible. And Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan, they weren’t good in their own end. I know he didn’t have a checking line anymore because all those guys are gone. You know when you get star players, you can’t ever get them thinking that you want them to fail. You got to make them believe you’re always in their corner, you’re always trying to insulate them. I don’t know what he was doing.”

Bowman on the Hurricanes:

As far as Carolina goes, the Hurricanes are in that Southeast Division of lower payroll teams and it’s reflected by their roster as far as Bowman is concerned. “They got Eric Staal and Jeff Skinner. Tuomo Ruutu’s OK. But they don’t have any other forwards. Their defense corps, he keeps getting recycled guys. How can you keep winning with recycled players? You click for a while, eh? They have a goalie (Cam Ward) who’s very good. He’s going to need some relief, though. They get a lot of shots against them.”

Will that doom Muller, Maurice’s replacement? “I don’t know much about him,” Bowman says, ”A lot of people swear by him. They say he’s going to be offensive-minded. Kirk Muller worked with Jacques Martin (in Montreal), and he’s a defensive guy. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do.”

Bowman on the Blues:

What about the Blues, who have certainly had success after replacing Payne with Ken Hitchcock? “I just find they’re working,” Bowman says. ”They’re on top of the other team. They’re always chasing the puckcarrier. He’s got a guy whose always chasing the puck. They’re playing an uptempo game.” He likens it to the way the Red Wings have played successfully under Mike Babcock, who always has a forechecker going full tilt at the puckcarrier.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 12-01-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #546
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Caps-Pens has been fun so far. Pens got a goal on Jeff Schultz being useless and covering no one in the crease. Caps lead 15-2 in hits 11 minutes in. Erskine avenged Beagle by dropping Asham.

2 ticky-tack penalties against the Caps so far, but Jordan Staal runs over Erskine with the puck nowhere near him (but in front of the ref) and no interference call. The Bettman Hockey League really pisses me off at times.

I'd hardly say Erskine "dropped" Asham. Nobody landed much of anything, then they hugged it out.

This is my black n gold glasses probably, but I mentioned earlier in the thread. Ovy doesn't scare me anymore. Stand up on him, Washington rush defused. And the few times he made plays, Backstrom was there to miss the net.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #548
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Pure gold...thanks to DGB for pointing it out!

Old 12-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #549
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love Brian Burke.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #550
bronconick
College Starter

Shannon on NHL: Realignment on the way? - sportsnet.ca

Quote:
On the agenda were two realignment plans. One simple, one a little more progressive. I'm told, the two plans will be presented without a recommendation from the commissioner's office, and they are plans that "reflect the greatest level of club interest." The simple one is just a swap of Detroit for Winnipeg. That fulfils the promise of Gary Bettman to Mike Illitch to put the Red Wings in the east.
The second proposal is very close to the one we have been discussing for a few months that would see the removal of the two conferences (and six divisions) for four divisions and would include a more balanced schedule. It would appease the Wings' demand that, if in fact they can't be in the East, every team in the league would play a minimum of one home-and-home series. That proposal would also call for two rounds of divisional playoffs, which would help maintain the regional rivalries, if they don't play as many games against each other in the regular season.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote