Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #551
Grover
Pro Starter

I am so against splitting Pittsburgh and Philadelphia up.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #552
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Interesting stuff on realignment.

The four divisions, no conference plan sounds pretty radical. That said, I believe the two rounds of divisional playoffs could be fantastic. Rivalries are really born in the playoffs, much much more so than during regular season games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #553
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

The NHL should just create an Original 6 division and the rest are irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #554
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
The NHL should just create an Original 6 division and the rest are irrelevant.

Even better, create your own network so I don't have to watch the friggin' Leafs and Habs two or three times a week!!!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #555
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Even better, create your own network so I don't have to watch the friggin' Leafs and Habs two or three times a week!!!

That's not a bad idea, actually. Unfortunately, Bettman will never go for such a radical idea as long as he has one hand in Crosby's pants and the other in the owner's wallets.

Quote:
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #556
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
That's not a bad idea, actually. Unfortunately, Bettman will never go for such a radical idea as long as he has one hand in Crosby's pants and the other in the owner's wallets.

Well, he takes Montreal and Toronto out and replaces them with Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

The network is called "NBC".
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #557
Grover
Pro Starter

What a comeback for the Flyers to spoil Boudreau's Ducks debut. Down 2-0 after one, I told a fellow board member, The Jackal, that we were going to win this game. Looking completely inept and rusty after six days off, the Ducks went up 3-0 before Jagr got one back in the second. Jagr got another back in the third, before Hartnell evened it up with 3:42 to go. We gave up a late penalty, so a tense couple of minutes on the kill leading into overtime.

Getzlaf gets called for tripping Voracek right after he came out of the box and into the Ducks zone. Getzlaf argues with the ref and gets another two minutes tacked on. Giroux with a fantastic one-timer from the left circle beats Hiller. Boudreau and co. cry. Flyers win.

Fantastic.

The Finnish God of Defense, Kimmo Timonen finished the game with three assists, Jagr had two goals, Giroux a goal and an assist. Boy, did we miss #68.

Last edited by Grover : 12-03-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #559
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Hold on...a Bruce Boudreau coached team couldn't hold a lead? Maybe that's why the Caps had the worst winning % in the league when scoring first at the time he was fired.

Good to see nothing has changed with Fat Fuck.

I thought you might enjoy this.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #560
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

David Peron makes his return tonight after a concussion has kept him off the ice for 90+ games. So excited to see him back!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #561
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post

Good to see nothing has changed with Fat Fuck.

Tell us how you really feel.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #562
Grover
Pro Starter

Flyers jump out 4-0 on Phoenix after one. What a period. Goals from Read, Giroux, Hartnell and Simmonds (not in that order). Rookie sensation Read has a PPG and two assists.

Read for Calder. He plays in all three phases of the game, unlike that hyphenate in Edmonton.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #563
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Flyers jump out 4-0 on Phoenix after one. What a period. Goals from Read, Giroux, Hartnell and Simmonds (not in that order). Rookie sensation Read has a PPG and two assists.

Read for Calder. He plays in all three phases of the game, unlike that hyphenate in Edmonton.

Read was Bob McKenzie's preseason pick.

But...not to take anything away from Read (I've only seen 1 Philly game this year), the Nuge is not just a offensive player. He's going to be a Datsyuk like player-- he's really slick picking pockets on the backcheck.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #564
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Read was Bob McKenzie's preseason pick.

But...not to take anything away from Read (I've only seen 1 Philly game this year), the Nuge is not just a offensive player. He's going to be a Datsyuk like player-- he's really slick picking pockets on the backcheck.

Read's been one of our best penalty killers this year. Even has a SHG. Kid (well, he's 25) can do it all.

In fact, he's been on a PK line with our other rookie, Couturier most of the year.

Last edited by Grover : 12-03-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #565
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dear lord, Ryan Miller returns tonight since the Lucic hit. What happens? Tootoo leaps right into him and gets a game misconduct.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-03-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #567
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Dear lord, Ryan Miller returns tonight since the Lucic hit. What happens? Tootoo leaps right into him and gets a game misconduct.

What did he get for that? Looks like a suspension to me, can't see how there is anyway to sell that as something other than a cheap shot.

Loved Miller's immediate retaliation, he was throwing punches before they even stopped falling, and rightfully so. Also likes the Buffalo response with about 5 guys jumping on him right away. Always good to see immediate reaction from teammates when something like that happens, tells you about the team.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #568
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What did he get for that? Looks like a suspension to me, can't see how there is anyway to sell that as something other than a cheap shot.

Loved Miller's immediate retaliation, he was throwing punches before they even stopped falling, and rightfully so. Also likes the Buffalo response with about 5 guys jumping on him right away. Always good to see immediate reaction from teammates when something like that happens, tells you about the team.

He got a game misconduct and a major for charging. Yeah, Gastaud was talking up with the Nashville goalie as he was leaving the ice, but he didn't return due to injury. The team really didn't let Nashville take another shot at him the rest of the night. If you were near, the Sabres would push and throw them down.

Ruff basically called out Shanahan in the post-game conference. It'll be interesting.

The best part was the Nashville chanting, "Miller is a sissy." It's funny when you play a country music song after the Preds score though.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #569
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Always good to see immediate reaction from teammates when something like that happens, tells you about the team.

Ya, it tells me that they got the riot act from the whole hockey world when they didn't do anything the first time it happened.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #570
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know what I see when the whole Buffalo team has to jump on Tootoo after that? It takes 6 Sabres to equal one decent tough guy.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #571
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
You know what I see when the whole Buffalo team has to jump on Tootoo after that? It takes 6 Sabres to equal one decent tough guy.

Like a Penguins fan would know what a tough guy is...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #572
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Ya, it tells me that they got the riot act from the whole hockey world when they didn't do anything the first time it happened.

Ah, didn't know they didn't do it prior.

That is what I am liking about the Flyers team this year. They stand up for each other immediately, not quite like that under Richards' watch.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #573
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't know what is more insulting to Pumpy...calling him a Pens fan or saying he loves Colin White.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #574
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post

This was my initial reaction too...6 guys to Tootoo, 0 to Lucic. And I can't stand Lucic, but

Quote:

Don't lump a Devils fan in with us!

Also-- Deryk Engelland (and Jody Shelley) feel different than you do

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:06 PM   #575
Big T
H.S. Freshman Team

Oh oh, here we go again........ Nice to see the Sabres react this time. I was not as certain on the Lucic hit on Miller as to whether there would be suspension as Miller was way out of his net and shouldn't expect the opposing player would simply give way and give up the puck voluntarily like the Sabres and Ruff expected... this time there is no question.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #576
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Leave it to the Crapalanche to end the Wings' winning streak. The thing that has impressed me the most this year is the play of Jimmy Howard. He is a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL, which is something the Wings have been lacking for several decades (outside of stints from Hasek and Mike Vernon/Curtis Joseph and a good but not great regular season goalie in Chris Osgood).

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #577
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Leave it to the Crapalanche to end the Wings' winning streak. The thing that has impressed me the most this year is the play of Jimmy Howard. He is a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL, which is something the Wings have been lacking for several decades (outside of stints from Hasek and Mike Vernon/Curtis Joseph and a good but not great regular season goalie in Chris Osgood).

Jimmy Howard has been playing great this year. His numbers back it up and he's looked the part. He's maturing and developing. He's been the best player on the team all season along with Lidstrom.

He is part of the reason I never got concerned when the Wings went into that 6 game funk earlier in the season. About half of those losses came during Conklin's meltdown period and when Howard was in net the Wings weren't losing because of bad goaltending or defensive play, but because their offense went dry. You knew the offense would come around eventually, which it did, and the defensive play remained solid.

As for the comment about lacking a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL"... Yes, goaltending has long been considered the Wings "weak spot", except for the 2002 Hasek year. But I think the reason goaltending was considered the weak spot was because the rest of the team was so good. You had to point to something.

By listing Osgood, Hasek, Vernon and Joseph as exceptions to the rule you pretty much list every starting goalie the Wings have had, outside Legace, over the past 20 years.

Chris Osgood is the winningest goalie in Red Wings history. He was a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL" for a long, long time. And I'm not sure what you mean by calling Osgood "good but not great regular season goalie". Sure, Osgood may not have been a "great" goalie, but he was a good one and definitely a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL" for many years. And you can't say that Osgood was only a "regular season" goalie when he won two cups as a starter and his playoff numbers are better than his regular season numbers.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #578
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Leave it to the Crapalanche to end the Wings' winning streak.

and the Avs needed it (so did Joe Sacco). A week ago, the Avs were 2-3 on their crucial 8-game home stand. But 3 big wins, blowing out the New Jersey Pumpys and ending the winning streaks for both the Blues and the Wings and they are right back in it. For now.

Ryan O'Reilly has been awesome, as has Varlamov

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 12-05-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #579
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
As for the comment about lacking a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL"... Yes, goaltending has long been considered the Wings "weak spot", except for the 2002 Hasek year. But I think the reason goaltending was considered the weak spot was because the rest of the team was so good. You had to point to something.

By listing Osgood, Hasek, Vernon and Joseph as exceptions to the rule you pretty much list every starting goalie the Wings have had, outside Legace, over the past 20 years.

Chris Osgood is the winningest goalie in Red Wings history. He was a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL" for a long, long time. And I'm not sure what you mean by calling Osgood "good but not great regular season goalie". Sure, Osgood may not have been a "great" goalie, but he was a good one and definitely a "legitimate starting goalie in the NHL" for many years. And you can't say that Osgood was only a "regular season" goalie when he won two cups as a starter and his playoff numbers are better than his regular season numbers.

I have always been in Osgood's corner and believe he is a hall of famer. However, his regular season numbers were often inflated because of the great teams he was on (he did have one great season with the Islanders and that team was terrible). Osgood is mostly known as a playoff goalie and that is a well-deserved label. He was an incredible performer under pressure after the loss to San Jose in 1993 or 1994 (can't remember which year now).

I believe you read what I was saying in reverse, as I was alluding to Ozzie's great playoffs and sometimes average regular season numbers. We all know he didn't always have the best work ethic during the regular season, and his consistency suffered because of it.

In regards to the other goalies, there was a good year or 2 with Hasek but the rest of those guys are forgettable. Joseph's and Vernon's best years were before they played in Detroit (although Vernon did win a Cup in Detroit). I was mostly referring to guys like Greg Stefan, Glen Hanlon, Tim Cheveldae, Bob Essensa, and yes...Manny Legace.

I have been a Wings fan for over 30 years and have never seen them have what I would call a legitimate starting goalie, especially one who is homegrown, until now.

Howard is the real deal.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #580
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and the Avs needed it (so did Joe Sacco). A week ago, the Avs were 2-3 on their crucial 8-game home stand. But 3 big wins, blowing out the New Jersey Pumpys and ending the winning streaks for both the Blues and the Wings and they are right back in it. For now.

Ryan O'Reilly has been awesome, as has Varlamov

I would love to have Matt Duchene in a Wings uni. The New Jersey Pumpys is hilarious.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #581
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In regards to the other goalies, there was a good year or 2 with Hasek but the rest of those guys are forgettable. Joseph's and Vernon's best years were before they played in Detroit (although Vernon did win a Cup in Detroit). I was mostly referring to guys like Greg Stefan, Glen Hanlon, Tim Cheveldae, Bob Essensa, and yes...Manny Legace.

So, when you said the Wings have been lacking "a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL ... for several decades", what you meant was "the Wings have been lacking a legitimate starting goalie in the NHL ... for several decades, largely excluding the last two decades."

Quote:
I have been a Wings fan for over 30 years and have never seen them have what I would call a legitimate starting goalie, especially one who is homegrown, until now.

Except for Osgood, who was homegrown.

Quote:
Howard is the real deal.

Yep.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #582
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm glad that I've never had to worry about my team's goaltending. The Devils have had legitimate starting goaltending for over 20 years now. Sean Burke, Chris Terreri, John Vanbiesbrouck, Kevin Weekes, Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmensen, etc. I've always liked New Jersey's chances.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #583
Grover
Pro Starter

ESPN fires NHL analyst Matthew Barnaby following DWI arrest - ESPN

He was terrible at his job anyway.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #584
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm glad that I've never had to worry about my team's goaltending. The Devils have had legitimate starting goaltending for over 20 years now. Sean Burke, Chris Terreri, John Vanbiesbrouck, Kevin Weekes, Johan Hedberg, Scott Clemmensen, etc. I've always liked New Jersey's chances.

Ok. I'll bite.

Why no mention of Marty Brodeur? Is it because you find him so attractive that just uttering or typing his name makes your entire body quiver?

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #585
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

lol

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #586
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok. I'll bite.

Why no mention of Marty Brodeur? Is it because you find him so attractive that just uttering or typing his name makes your entire body quiver?

Brodeur was never that good. He's a hall of famer, for sure. Maybe one of the best to ever play the game. But he wasn't what you call a legitimate starting goaltender, certainly not for any length of time.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #587
bbor
Pro Starter

Overrated

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #589
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

NHL approves radical four-conference alignment plan - ESPN

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #590
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Dola

New Conference Alignment - NHL.com - Standings

Terrible idea in my opinion, but par for the course with jackass Bettman in charge.

Quote:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #591
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i like it

fuck conferences. all that really matters is divisional rivalries. divisions will HATE each other, then the final 4 just go at it for the cup. the first 2 rounds of the playoffs will be NASTY. like old times.

did the nhl actually do something right?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #592
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Dola

Terrible idea in my opinion, but par for the course with jackass Bettman in charge.

I don't like the idea of having the 5th place team in one conference being better than 4th in the other and not making the playoffs. But it might be good as a throwback to the old days of teams from the same division having playoff battles year after year. If these divisions cause the old rivalries like the Norris, Adams, Patrick, Smythe rivalries to (re)develop, it might not be so bad in the end.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #593
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Woot - Bruins!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #594
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Dola

New Conference Alignment - NHL.com - Standings

I'm thinking about it more, and i really want to know what is terrible about this
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #595
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I don't like the idea of having the 5th place team in one conference being better than 4th in the other and not making the playoffs. But it might be good as a throwback to the old days of teams from the same division having playoff battles year after year. If these divisions cause the old rivalries like the Norris, Adams, Patrick, Smythe rivalries to (re)develop, it might not be so bad in the end.

This is why it's going to be a disaster. Teams from the same divisions had the same battles year after year because 5 teams missed the playoffs per season. 5th out of 8 is going to be a more common screwjob than 5th out 5 in 3 divisions and 6 in one.

Also, the re-seeding of the "Conference champions" (the divisions are now called conferences because Bettman hired the same company that came up with Leaders and Legends for the Big Ten) each year based on points means we're only not getting old names back, we're probably retiring the Prince of Wales and Campbell trophies.

Last edited by bronconick : 12-05-2011 at 09:29 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #597
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love the new realignment. That is all.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #598
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

my personal opinion is fuck the 5th place teams. if you can't be better than four other teams in your conference, you don't deserve to make the playoffs. I hate hate hate hate hate the 1 through 8 seeding thing we do now. So damn dull. Not a fan of the re-seeding after the 2nd round, but I guess I'll live.

playing every team twice a year is great. This really is the key, because now, no matter what conference each team lands in, rivalries outside of the conference can still exist. The Avs will still play the Wings twice a year...and actually it might mean MORE now that it's just two games (not that this rivalry is any sort of a rivalry right now). and as an Avs fan in New England, I now have twice as many eastern time zone games to watch and can now see the Avs play every year in Boston (not that I would pony up what B's tickets are selling for, but whatever).

It's a win as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #599
molson
General Manager

I really like the change. Top 4 in each conference is so much easier and more manageable to follow. It makes no sense to have divisions when you seed by conference, and both the NHL and NBA have aggravated that problem by having SIX divisions for some reason. Six divisions when you seed 1-8 over a 3-division conference, with different rules for division winners - what a pain in the ass that is.

I hope they eventually go with a fixed 16-team bracket though, that's also simple and its fun to look ahead.

And ya, who cares about the 5th place team, nobody is going to be screwed in a system you just have to finish in the top half of your conference.

I would love to see the NBA do this same thing.

Last edited by molson : 12-05-2011 at 10:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #600
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Woot - Bruins!!

Ya, nice little run for them, geez. 14-0-1. Longest point streak for them since 1983 I just heard.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote