Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #701
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Figured this is probably the right thread for this...

I drew my brother for our family's secret Santa this year. The ONLY sport he's into is hockey. I am all for supporting his sporting interests, so I thought I'd try to find some seats on the glass for him at a Sharks game. My question: are seats on the glass worth it? I've never been that close myself, and I'd imagine that the view actually isn't all that great. Would I be better served looking for seats a few rows back?

My old law firm used to have seats a couple of rows back just behind the visting players' bench at the MCI Center, or whatever where the Caps play is called now. They were fun seats. I got to yell at Claude Lemieux one game, but it was impossible to see what was going on in the near corner on the other end of the ice. You had to look up at the big screen to watch the game.

I sat in some seats about 15 rows or so up, right at center ice, at Joe Louis once and thought that was a much better viewing experience. You can follow all of the action, it's very close. I might go with that.

Though, if you really want to get him something that will last and is super cool, I would reccomend the following:

PETR KLIMA #85 Game Worn Detroit Red Wings NHL Jersey for sale
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #702
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Going to the Sens/Sabres game tonight. We get Weber back and Miller will be in the Net...I should be in great seats...excited for this one...
Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #703
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Going to the Sens/Sabres game tonight. We get Weber back and Miller will be in the Net...I should be in great seats...excited for this one...

Free Enroth!

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #704
Grover
Pro Starter

Flyers having their way with the Caps, 4-0 after two. Vokoun's given up two really bad goals, but I'm not complaining. Hartnell has goals in six straight, Marc-Andre Bourdon has his first NHL goal, Max Talbot is on pace for a career year and Wayne Simmonds makes up for concussing Claude Giroux with a goal.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #706
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Chris Conner has settled right in on the third line with Helm and Cleary since being called up from Grand Rapids.

He's really made an impact and you always notice him in good ways. He's like a smaller slightly poor man's version of Darren Helm. I've started to refer to the Cleary-Helm-Conner line as the "Little Giants" line.

I don't think Brunstrom will be back up for a while, barring injury of course.

Jimmy Howard was great again tonight.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #707
Grover
Pro Starter

Holding Ovechkin to a 0 on the score sheet is very satisfying.

I'd also like to thank the Stars and Wings for beating the Rags and Pens respectively.

Where's HiFi to bitch about the Caps lately?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #708
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I went to the Caps game last Friday against the Leafs. The Leafs dominated them 5 on 5 but the Caps scored 3 PPG.

I was worried how the Flyers were going to come out without Giroux, but a lot of players stepped up. Remember in the Summer when Richards and Carter were traded, everyone was asking "Where is the scoring going to come from?" No one is saying that now as they have scored more goals than any team in the league.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #709
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I went to the Caps game last Friday against the Leafs. The Leafs dominated them 5 on 5 but the Caps scored 3 PPG.

I was worried how the Flyers were going to come out without Giroux, but a lot of players stepped up. Remember in the Summer when Richards and Carter were traded, everyone was asking "Where is the scoring going to come from?" No one is saying that now as they have scored more goals than any team in the league.

Hartnell getting back to his 30 goal form has been nice, as has Talbot being on a career pace.

I've been impressed with Bourdon and Marshall.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #710
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
My old law firm used to have seats a couple of rows back just behind the visting players' bench at the MCI Center, or whatever where the Caps play is called now. They were fun seats. I got to yell at Claude Lemieux one game, but it was impossible to see what was going on in the near corner on the other end of the ice. You had to look up at the big screen to watch the game.

I sat in some seats about 15 rows or so up, right at center ice, at Joe Louis once and thought that was a much better viewing experience. You can follow all of the action, it's very close. I might go with that.

Though, if you really want to get him something that will last and is super cool, I would reccomend the following:

PETR KLIMA #85 Game Worn Detroit Red Wings NHL Jersey for sale

Ha! Thanks for the advice (you too, Suburban Rhythm), I'm still on the fence about whether or not he'd enjoy the glass seats. I'd imagine it would be pretty cool as a "Well, I've done that once..." kind of thing. He is a pretty good fan, but he doesn't understand the nuances of hockey, so he may enjoy them a ton. I'm going to look into pricing and see if that helps make my decision.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 12-14-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #711
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Ha! Thanks for the advice (you too, Suburban Rhythm), I'm still on the fence about whether or not he'd enjoy the glass seats. I'd imagine it would be pretty cool as a "Well, I've done that once..." kind of thing. He is a pretty good fan, but he doesn't understand the nuances of hockey, so he may enjoy them a ton. I'm going to look into pricing and see if that helps make my decision.

I got glass seats to a Moose game once, and I'd echo the thoughts of H_B and SR: an interesting novelty that I'd never do again. I disliked straining to see what was going on all along the near-side boards, but it was kind of fun to bang on the glass. It also gives a bit of an appreciation for how fast and hard the game is (and keep in mind that was AHL players, NHL would be even more impressive in this sense).

I would say go for it if he's never sat on the glass before. He may never want to do it again, but I doubt he'd come away wishing he'd not done it that one time, either.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #712
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I was 4 rows up last night, behind the goal the Sabres attacked twice. I was off to the left if you were facing the Sabres attacking. It was a great view...did have it a little tough to see the far end, but it was perfect for me.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #713
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Flyers having their way with the Caps, 4-0 after two. Vokoun's given up two really bad goals, but I'm not complaining. Hartnell has goals in six straight, Marc-Andre Bourdon has his first NHL goal, Max Talbot is on pace for a career year and Wayne Simmonds makes up for concussing Claude Giroux with a goal.

Quote:
Hartnell getting back to his 30 goal form has been nice, as has Talbot being on a career pace.

I've been impressed with Bourdon and Marshall.

I thought for sure he sure sold his soul during the 09 Cup run. Apparently he was given a chance to renegotiate terms.

That's the Talbot from 2007-2009 that made people love him. Sadly, we didn't see him in 2010 or 2011.

Quote:
Chris Conner has settled right in on the third line with Helm and Cleary since being called up from Grand Rapids.

He's really made an impact and you always notice him in good ways. He's like a smaller slightly poor man's version of Darren Helm. I've started to refer to the Cleary-Helm-Conner line as the "Little Giants" line.

I don't think Brunstrom will be back up for a while, barring injury of course.

Jimmy Howard was great again tonight.

Broke man's Helm. I can't link YT at work...not that embedding works for me anyway. But my lasting memory of Conner is his penalty shot in game 6 vs Tampa in the opening round last year...where he forgot the puck half way in on goal.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #714
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I was 4 rows up last night, behind the goal the Sabres attacked twice. I was off to the left if you were facing the Sabres attacking. It was a great view...did have it a little tough to see the far end, but it was perfect for me.

A friend of mine has seats similar to those (first row in the corner) at Rexall and I find myself watching the Jumbotron most of the game.

Not ideal seats to watch a game but that perspective sure gives you an appreciation for how fast and big these guys are.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #715
Logan
Head Coach

Reminder that 24/7 Rangers-Flyers starts on HBO tonight at 10.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #716
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Thanks for the reminder, almost forgot about it. Would have remembered it on Friday (though HBO usually replays the hell out of stuff).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #717
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

I loved last years, can't wait. It's what really pushed my wife over the edge of liking hockey, to loving hockey. When I'm not home she'll go to our local SPHL games by herself, and even watch Pens games on Center Ice.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #718
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
When I'm not home she'll go to our local SPHL games by herself
This is sexy.
Quote:
and even watch Pens games on Center Ice.
This is not sexy.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #719
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This is sexy.

This is not sexy.

Gotta take the good with the bad?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #720
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I loved last years, can't wait. It's what really pushed my wife over the edge of liking hockey, to loving hockey. When I'm not home she'll go to our local SPHL games by herself, and even watch Pens games on Center Ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
This is sexy.

This is not sexy.

Yeah. I may have to vote "not" hot because of this. Sorry, Dougie Lotsa Numbers.

It's like some of those weirdos in the Hot or Not or threads who simply vote "not" because a woman has fake titties, tattoos or is younger than 30. Deal breaker.

Maybe she doesn't realize that she can also watch Red Wings games or games involving future Red Wing Zach Parise on Center Ice?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #721
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This guy (Benstonium) does some great Pittsburgh related stuff. This one is beautiful.

Another attempt at embedding that probably won't work but...

Benstonium Video Player
Old 12-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #723
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Gap between Pronger's teeth....

...or holding place for Flyers championships in the last 35+ years.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #724
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Has Avery come out of the closet yet or is he still trying to hide it poorly?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #725
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Gap between Pronger's teeth....

...or holding place for Flyers championships in the last 35+ years.

Some day your team will have a franchise .500 record...but if Sid is gone, that will take longer since they will go back to tanking.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 12-14-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #726
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #727
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

This is just sick...

I Lost Count... Video - NHL VideoCenter
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #729
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I don't think that puck was moving forward for a while. It's a good thing this is the NHL and we can ignore rules in the shootout because it's a cheap stupid skills competition to decide a game anyway!

Also, am I the only person who hates the winter classic? So it's a game outside, whoop-de-do. It's usually on crappy ice, the players don't look like they want to be there and it's terrible hockey. Sorry for the bah humbug but I'm sick of sitting through ads for what is just another regular season game, just really poorly played and completely overhyped. I think I'd rather watch the all-star game.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #730
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, I don't think that puck was moving forward for a while. It's a good thing this is the NHL and we can ignore rules in the shootout because it's a cheap stupid skills competition to decide a game anyway!

Also, am I the only person who hates the winter classic? So it's a game outside, whoop-de-do. It's usually on crappy ice, the players don't look like they want to be there and it's terrible hockey. Sorry for the bah humbug but I'm sick of sitting through ads for what is just another regular season game, just really poorly played and completely overhyped. I think I'd rather watch the all-star game.

Having gone to the Winter Classic in Boston a couple years ago, I love it. The atmosphere is unlike any other for a hockey game (except maybe the playoffs). Ton of fun.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #731
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Some day your team will have a franchise .500 record...but if Sid is gone, that will take longer since they will go back to tanking.

When you don't win a championship in 35 years, cilnging to regular season numbers works I guess.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #732
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Anyone else having trouble of what to make of all the concussions now?

Are teams/players just being more cautious now in reporting and sitting out games?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #733
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Trola

TSN tackling the hard hitting issues

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...bname=nhl-jets

Pens old arena on the main level had troughs in every bathroom. None in the new building.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 12-15-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #734
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone else having trouble of what to make of all the concussions now?

Are teams/players just being more cautious now in reporting and sitting out games?

It's really scary, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. Star players are dropping like flies, which just cannot go on. The Crosby situation is terribly sad, but if something good can come out of it hopefully it's that this epidemic is dealt with faster than it otherwise would be.

As for solutions, that's where it gets tough. I was discussing it with some co-workers the other day and we all kind of agreed that the first place to start is likely equipment. Get rid of the hard-plastic upper-body gear. I'd also get rid of composite sticks to lower the speed of pucks (and get rid of all the breaking sticks, but that's not a safety issue), although I don't see that one actually happening.

After equipment, I guess you look at lengthening suspensions even more. Make guys not just think twice, but about 5 times, before they make any kind of hit that might be questionable. Give Malkin 5 games for trying to chicken-wing Giroux even though he didn't connect (see video above). Make a blatant hit from behind worth 20 games, 30 games, heck 40 games. Hit these guys' pockets super hard.

And of course, get rid of fighting.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #735
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
When you don't win a championship in 35 years, cilnging to regular season numbers works I guess.

No we cling to being good/great year after year. We cling to the fact that we didnt need the NHL to bail us out two times. We cling to the fact that 16 out of the last 17 years we made the playoffs and had a shot at winning the cup and in their 40+ years of existence only missed the playoffs 8 times.

Stanley Cup finals arent easy to win. The Flyers ran into the Oliers dynasty in the 80s and a really good Red Wings team in the 90s.

And again this year everyone laughed when they traded Richards and Carter saying that there was no way they would contend. So here we sit 30 games into the season, missing our best defenseman for most of the year and starting 10 different rookies atop the Eastern Conference.

Your team has won 1 more cup yes...but on numerous occasions spent years as the cellar dweller of the league. So just like you referred me about things happening 35 years ago for the Flyers...look back into the Pens past and it isn't too bright.

Yes the Pens won more Cups, but only 1 more.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM   #736
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Trola

TSN tackling the hard hitting issues

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...bname=nhl-jets

Pens old arena on the main level had troughs in every bathroom. None in the new building.

The line-ups are actually pretty crazy, it can take 20 minutes sometimes and they do really make it tough to get around the concourse.

At my last game a couple weeks ago I noticed that a lot of people seem to be going mid-period because they get through quicker, but that means they are actively having to choose to miss game action just to go pee. The benefit, though, was that the lines during intermission were actually a bit shorter. My dad and I went between the 2nd and 3rd, then grabbed a drink from the concessions, and we were back in our seats with 3 minutes to spare, which we considered quite successful.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #737
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
No we cling to being good/great year after year. We cling to the fact that we didnt need the NHL to bail us out two times. We cling to the fact that 16 out of the last 17 years we made the playoffs and had a shot at winning the cup and in their 40+ years of existence only missed the playoffs 8 times.

Stanley Cup finals arent easy to win. The Flyers ran into the Oliers dynasty in the 80s and a really good Red Wings team in the 90s.

And again this year everyone laughed when they traded Richards and Carter saying that there was no way they would contend. So here we sit 30 games into the season, missing our best defenseman for most of the year and starting 10 different rookies atop the Eastern Conference.

Your team has won 1 more cup yes...but on numerous occasions spent years as the cellar dweller of the league. So just like you referred me about things happening 35 years ago for the Flyers...look back into the Pens past and it isn't too bright.

Yes the Pens won more Cups, but only 1 more.

My biggest beef Flyers fans (not you specifically) is those who point out that the Penguins from 01/02 - 05/06 (including the lockout season) missed the playoffs 5 straight seasons, exclude that the Flyers did the same thing from 89/90 - 93/94.

That, and you don't have the sense to tank the right way. You end up with a very good player in JVR, but failed to get a Lemieux or Crosby. Or even Malkin.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #738
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

SR, you shoud have told us that you started posting home movies of your childhood on YouTube.

Your parents did what they could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0U9P...layer_embedded
Old 12-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #739
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
SR, you shoud have told us that you started posting home movies of your childhood on YouTube.

Your parents did what they could...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0U9P...layer_embedded

Can't possibly be me...like any Penguins fan, I only started watching in 2005, at which point I was 30 already and had taken my helmet off 3 years earlier.

Not quite to that level, but my son is pretty passionate. He (5) and my daughter (7) will play floor hockey in the hallway, and I'll hear him tell her if he scores on this next shot, he favorite team is the Flyers. I know I'd cry over that, so I can only imagine how a 7 year old feels about it.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #740
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My biggest beef Flyers fans (not you specifically) is those who point out that the Penguins from 01/02 - 05/06 (including the lockout season) missed the playoffs 5 straight seasons, exclude that the Flyers did the same thing from 89/90 - 93/94.

That, and you don't have the sense to tank the right way. You end up with a very good player in JVR, but failed to get a Lemieux or Crosby. Or even Malkin.

Hah! Isn't that funny, the one year the Flyers had the worst record and couldn't even win the lottery to get Kane.

Yea the Flyers were bad in those years. I will have to remind the other Flyers fans that it wasn't only that time period your pointed out where the Pens were bad but for most of the 70s and 80s too
Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #741
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Hah! Isn't that funny, the one year the Flyers had the worst record and couldn't even win the lottery to get Kane.
Ah, Kane doesn't seem like the sort of guy who'd ever be able to score a big goal in Philly.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #742
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Having gone to the Winter Classic in Boston a couple years ago, I love it. The atmosphere is unlike any other for a hockey game (except maybe the playoffs). Ton of fun.

Oh I have no doubt it's an awesome game to go to. My only beef is that it seems to be the one game that NBC and the NHL promote all year and it really doesn't translate well to TV. It's probably the worst and least exciting game for a TV audience all year
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #743
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yea the Flyers were bad in those years. I will have to remind the other Flyers fans that it wasn't only that time period your pointed out where the Pens were bad but for most of the 70s and 80s too

Actually, they made the playoffs a decent amount through the 70s and 80s. Not when first formed, and then again in Tank Job I (80-84), but most of those other years.

Granted, that's when 12 of 18 and then 16 of 21 made the playoffs, but I'm ignoring that.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #744
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Ah, Kane doesn't seem like the sort of guy who'd ever be able to score a big goal in Philly.

Kind of like JR scoring the last meaningful goal in Leafs history.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #745
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I went to game 4 of the SCF in 2010 and that was great. I am real close in pulling the trigger for Winter Classic tickets for this year.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #746
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Lost it there.

There were fewer incidents when the players could police themselves. Take fighting out of the game and the only way they can attempt to police a situation is taking a run at someone which leads to more concussion problems.

About 30 years ago if someone pulled a p****y move like Malkin's attempted elbow that player would have promptly gotten his ass kicked. What happens in a game is all about emotion. The threat of an ass kicking will stir up much more immediate emotion than the threat that maybe if the ref sees it I will get suspended.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #747
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lost it there.

There were fewer incidents when the players could police themselves. Take fighting out of the game and the only way they can attempt to police a situation is taking a run at someone which leads to more concussion problems.

About 30 years ago if someone pulled a p****y move like Malkin's attempted elbow that player would have promptly gotten his ass kicked. What happens in a game is all about emotion. The threat of an ass kicking will stir up much more immediate emotion than the threat that maybe if the ref sees it I will get suspended.

Why should players police themselves? Isn't that what refs and suspensions are for? I don't see players policing themselves in any other sport, aside from Ultimate Frisbee. You're telling me a quick fight that the player can turtle through if they want is more of a deterrent than a massive suspension and subsequent loss of paychecks?
Old 12-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #748
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Lost it there.

I'm starting to change my mind on this issue. I know the "policing" argument is a popular refrain and I bought into it too but I do think if fighting were banned (or impromptu fights were heavily suspended) the players would get over it and life would go on after some time. Was talking about this with a buddy yesterday after we both finally got through the Boogard NY Times piece...the spur of the moment fights between players are one thing but the "march on the enforcer, let's change momentum" fighting is what is killing these guys. I don't know how you differentiate between the two from a league enforcement perspective but it will end up changing, IMO.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #749
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Why should players police themselves? Isn't that what refs and suspensions are for? I don't see players policing themselves in any other sport, aside from Ultimate Frisbee. You're telling me a quick fight that the player can turtle through if they want is more of a deterrent than a massive suspension and subsequent loss of paychecks?

I dunno, Claude Lemieux was never the same after getting his ass kicked up and down by McCarty after the cheap shot he took on Draper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #750
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's really scary, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of it. Star players are dropping like flies, which just cannot go on. The Crosby situation is terribly sad, but if something good can come out of it hopefully it's that this epidemic is dealt with faster than it otherwise would be.

As for solutions, that's where it gets tough. I was discussing it with some co-workers the other day and we all kind of agreed that the first place to start is likely equipment. Get rid of the hard-plastic upper-body gear. I'd also get rid of composite sticks to lower the speed of pucks (and get rid of all the breaking sticks, but that's not a safety issue), although I don't see that one actually happening.

After equipment, I guess you look at lengthening suspensions even more. Make guys not just think twice, but about 5 times, before they make any kind of hit that might be questionable. Give Malkin 5 games for trying to chicken-wing Giroux even though he didn't connect (see video above). Make a blatant hit from behind worth 20 games, 30 games, heck 40 games. Hit these guys' pockets super hard.

I definitely think equipment has a lot to do with things...harder and lighter that essentially turns players in to well protected missiles. Without fear of injuring yourself then there is no fear when it comes to making contact with somebody else.

But, along with that is the speed that everybody is flying at when these collisions take place. Whether it be at center ice or along the glass (which is intentionally "soft" so hitting it is not painful at all...like it used to be when there was no flex what so ever) brain matter is getting jumbled that much quicker because of the speed of the game. Same goes for football, actually.

Now, are concussions really "up" nowadays or is the league (and the medical community) paying more attention to them? I find it hard to believe that suddenly it's an issue when a few years ago it wasn't. The game hasn't changed in 5 years...heck, a lot of these suspendable hits we're talking about today weren't even looked at twice five years ago.

So I'm guessing the problem has been there for quite some time but was swept under the rug. If you can skate and want to be out there, then get out there is what most players would say happens after getting their bell rung. I know I got my bell rung plenty of times and maybe I sat for a shift or two but the only time I didn't finish a game or practice was when I busted my wrist...and even then the coach asked if I could still play or if I needed my "daddy" to take me to the hospital.

Times have changed...and probably for the better. Sure, to most of us who grew up being told to "walk it off" or "suck it up" the research is telling us that doing just that could put your life in jeopardy in the future. Had we known that stuff 20, 30, etc...years ago, would we have walked it off and gone back out there? Would they have let us?
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote