Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should Gays be allowed to legally marry one another?
Yes 139 92.05%
No 12 7.95%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Gay Marriage

Should gay marriages be legal?

Pretty valid, socially relevant, straight forward poll. I'm curious to see what the mix is here at FOFC on the topic.

If you can't contribute to the conversation without flying off the handle and subsequently blaming the OP for your actions, please refrain from posting. k thx

P.S. - Go Niners!

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-23-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: redundancy
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
P.S. - Go Niners!

How dare you post something so controversial.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Based on the results of this past election, I really feel like this issue has finally made its way and it's only a matter of time now (could still be a while in some places) until this question is not all that much more controversial than asking whether people of different races should be allowed to marry.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jesus wants Ray Lewis to win the Super Bowl.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Why do I care if two adults enter into a legal contract?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Jas_lov
College Starter

It's just a matter of time before it's legal in all the states. Individual states are legalizing it left and right. Old people will die off and it's not an issue with younger people today.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I put down yes, given the options here. But I have stated in the past my belief that there should be a difference between religious and legal marriage, which is why I support the creation of civil unions.

Religious marriages are recognized before God and deity or whatsoever religion wishes to recognize them, per the dictums of their faith.

Legal marriages are recognized before Obama and the rest of the beauracratic plebes in the various governments in this country.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

what do you care?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I see it as more like this. There are basic marriages that carry all legal rights, and then you can add on "as recognized by the _____ church" bonus designation if you like.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
flounder
High School Varsity

Why should gays get to miss out? They should have to put up with the same crap the rest of us do.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Why should gays get to miss out? They should have to put up with the same crap the rest of us do.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I loved the Key and Peele take on it.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Religious marriages are recognized before God and deity or whatsoever religion wishes to recognize them, per the dictums of their faith.

But who decides what marriages God recognizes? Honestly there are 100 other things God condemns that no one gives a shit about when it comes to marriage. Why should those that "run" the church be allowed to pick and choose the current flavor of the weak? (and yes I wrote that the way I intended to, because I don't believe those that "run" the church should be judging others based on their personal beliefs.)

Last edited by DanGarion : 01-23-2013 at 10:25 AM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
DanGarion
Coordinator

I feel that if you made the poll private there would be a lot more No votes...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But who decides what marriages God recognizes? Honestly there are 100 other things God condemns that no one gives a shit about when it comes to marriage. Why should those that "run" the church be allowed to pick and choose the current flavor of the weak? (and yes I wrote that the way I intended to, because I don't believe in those that "run" the church should be judging others based on their personal beliefs.)

Good point DG.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Why should I care what 2 people who love each other do wit htheir lives? I have no more right to tell them how they can live their lives then they do to tell me.

I have a gay cousin and her and her partner are 2 of the most well adjusted people I know. They have 2 great kids and are just as much a loving family as any other I know.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-23-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I see it as more like this. There are basic marriages that carry all legal rights, and then you can add on "as recognized by the _____ church" bonus designation if you like.

This.

Marriage is something that was around long before the USA and it will be around long after. Our government should not be in the business of sanctioning "marriage" or not sanctioning it. As far as legal agreements between persons who get married, that's all good. But to tell people they have less or no rights based on who they want to marry? No. They should be out of that business. It makes as much sense to me as denying a driver's license to someone because they are gay.

I highly doubt we'll ever see a politician take a stand that gets the government out of the marriage game. Who wants to be painted as being "against marriage," even if they are only taking a common sense approach.

We all know that any politician who uses common sense will have some lunatic on the other side who gets everybody's panties in a bunch.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Based on the results of this past election, I really feel like this issue has finally made its way and it's only a matter of time now (could still be a while in some places) until this question is not all that much more controversial than asking whether people of different races should be allowed to marry.

Things have changed a lot. When Reagan was elected less than half the country thought interracial marriages should be legal.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
what do you care?

Personally, I don't. I am not very religious. But I recognize that there are many that very much are, and they believe marriage is a religious institution.

I think it makes sense to respect their beluiefs while also creating a non-religious form of marriage that allows for gay rights equality.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But who decides what marriages God recognizes? Honestly there are 100 other things God condemns that no one gives a shit about when it comes to marriage. Why should those that "run" the church be allowed to pick and choose the current flavor of the weak? (and yes I wrote that the way I intended to, because I don't believe those that "run" the church should be judging others based on their personal beliefs.)

Every faith is entitled to their own beliefs. Obviously, their beliefs only apply to themselves. It shouldn't affect anyone else.

Unless you're saying you want the government to tell people what to believe?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I agree with the general thought that the only government intervention into marriage should be the legal ramifications of it. Gays should enjoy the same benefits through legal marriage as everyone else, and all that follows it (family rights; if it comes to it, rights through divorce; etc.).

What religion calls it is really no one's business. Some can comdemn, others can support, but the only thing that would matter, religiously, is the faith the couple themselves choose to recognize it (and they don't even need that to be married).

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post

This...they have the right to be as miserable as the rest of us!

But truthfully, I don't understand the "moral" reasons trotted out over and over for why it "ruins" marriage for the rest of us. There are plenty of married couples doing things right now you probably don't agree with, and it's having zero impact on your marriage.

I'm a practicing Catholic, but think "Do unto others as you'd have done unto you", the overridding theme of what the church is supposed to stand for, supercedes any individual, one line item someone selects.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yes, gays should be allowed to legally marry each other. And the homosexual marriages which are performed at my church (though I only know of one off hand) should be able to be recognized under the law just as the heterosexual marriages performed there.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
I feel that if you made the poll private there would be a lot more No votes...

Agreed. My not making the poll private was just so I could get a better gauge on who felt whatever way and was actually willing to say so publicly.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 01-23-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I find it frankly breath taking that religious people are against gay marriages because they're not 'traditional' ...

A traditional marriage at the time of the bible was as much a financial transaction as anything else, often involving the marriage of incredibly young girls to much older men - such marriages today are looked down upon in most places as being out dated and definitely not something to 'strive towards'.

Times have changed and so has our interpretation of what is moral and right - hence the modern interpretation of marriage within most western societies ... the approval of Gay marriage is just an extension of those changes imho.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yes, gays should be allowed to legally marry each other. And the homosexual marriages which are performed at my church (though I only know of one off hand) should be able to be recognized under the law just as the heterosexual marriages performed there.

You see, this is where I think we need to be mroe clear. The government shouldn't have anything to do with recognizing your church's marriages, either hetero or homo. That's between the couple, your congregation, your fatih leaders and God.

The government ideally won't be recognizing anything done in a church, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the married couple. They will only "recognize" two people submitting paperwork for a legal contract under the codes for marriage. How far we go with that--a signed contract, a separate, simple civil service before a judge, whatever--is up to the government.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Agreed. My not making the poll private was just so I could get a better gauge on who felt whatever way and was actually willing to say so publicly.

you should followup with a private poll.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
you should followup with a private poll.

Yeah and then we can all take guesses and who lies in public!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
lungs
Pro Rookie

Let the gays marry legally, but don't force it down any churches throat.
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

does anyone else find calling gay people "the gays" or "gays" a little odd? We typically don't say "the blacks" or "the mexicans." Seems very 1950's pre tolerance to me.

Last edited by Lathum : 01-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
You see, this is where I think we need to be mroe clear. The government shouldn't have anything to do with recognizing your church's marriages, either hetero or homo. That's between the couple, your congregation, your fatih leaders and God.

The government ideally won't be recognizing anything done in a church, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the married couple. They will only "recognize" two people submitting paperwork for a legal contract under the codes for marriage. How far we go with that--a signed contract, a separate, simple civil service before a judge, whatever--is up to the government.

I'm pretty sure it already works like this. If you get married in a religious ceremony without first getting a marriage license, that marriage isn't recognized by the state. That isn't absolute, but unless you've gone the common law route it is difficult. Once you get a marriage license, the state doesn't care if you have a religious ceremony or not.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #32
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
does anyone else find calling gay people "the gays" or "gays" a little odd? We typically don't say "the blacks" or "the mexicans." Seems very 1950's pre tolerance to me.

I thought about how I would word this beforehand. I ultimately decided "gays" was acceptable when thinking about how most people refer to others, anyway.

Example: I'm Jewish, and I generally call other people of Jewish faith/ethnicity "Jews." I think the same applies to Christians, Hindus, Whites, African-Americans, etc. The term "gays" struck me as being only insensitive if you're the type of person that's constantly on the lookout for something to be offended by.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #33
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Would it make you feel better if I removed "the"?

Seems pretty damned stupid to complain about putting "the" in front of something. If I said "the queers" or "the fags", I could see the reaction.

edit: I mis read you.. "the" had nothing to do with it. But my point still stands in terms of calling gay people gay. Isn't that what they call themselves? My Mexican employees are Mexican, and the Nicaraguans are Nicaraguan. They are Mexicans and Nicaraguans.

I don't get the outrage.

Last edited by lungs : 01-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
I thought about how I would word this beforehand. I ultimately decided "gays" was acceptable when thinking about how most people refer to others, anyway.

Example: I'm Jewish, and I generally call other people of Jewish faith/ethnicity "Jews." I think the same applies to Christians, Hindus, Whites, African-Americans, etc. The term "gays" struck me as being only insensitive if you're the type of person that's constantly on the lookout for something to be offended by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Would it make you feel better if I removed "the"?

Seems pretty damned stupid to complain about putting "the" in front of something. If I said "the queers" or "the fags", I could see the reaction.

Seems like this needs to be a parody thread of the 'Saying "We" when talking about sports teams' thread
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

no outrage, just seems a little non PC, that is all. Not offended in the least nor looking for something to be offended by.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I'm pretty sure it already works like this. If you get married in a religious ceremony without first getting a marriage license, that marriage isn't recognized by the state. That isn't absolute, but unless you've gone the common law route it is difficult. Once you get a marriage license, the state doesn't care if you have a religious ceremony or not.

True. I'm not advocating that we do something drastically different. Just further codify the separation of church and state in this process, and open it up to both hetero and homosexual marriages.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
no outrage, just seems a little non PC, that is all. Not offended in the least nor looking for something to be offended by.

I actually can't stand the term African-American. It's way over the top PC, IMO, and should only be used in formal language. Blacks are blacks, whites are whites, etc. Mexicans is incorrectly used as a lump all, but I think saying "Latino" or "Hispanic" is acceptable.

Obviously, I am perfectly fine with using the terms gays and lesbians. Trying to say otherwise comes off as awkward, IMO.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #38
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I know this to be true in Virginia and Illinois. My brother and his wife had to go to the courthouse in VA to get their license even before the catholic church would marry them.

The same in illinois for my wife and I.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I actually can't stand the term African-American.

African-Americans is probably the worst of the bunch in my opinion when trying to apply it to someone skin color. I happen to actually know a couple 'African-Americans' and they are white as white can be. Born and raised in Africa, migrated to the US, are now US citizens and have 3 children. So yes, 'technically', they are African-American.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Yup. Silly question, especially in the 30 and under cohort.

FWIW, I wonder if this being a public poll biases the results some - a sort of Wilder-effect.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #41
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

tick-tock
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #42
Subby
lolzcat

Average age on the no votes is pretty interesting.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
African-Americans is probably the worst of the bunch in my opinion when trying to apply it to someone skin color. I happen to actually know a couple 'African-Americans' and they are white as white can be. Born and raised in Africa, migrated to the US, are now US citizens and have 3 children. So yes, 'technically', they are African-American.

Same is true though of using the term "black". There are a wide variety of skin tones in the world. Is someone of African ancestry to be called "black" even if their skin is not black? Is someone who identifies with a European ancestry "white" even if their skin is darker than someone who identifies as "black"? Do we call a Hispanic "black"?

My point is neither way of describing things works 100% of the time because these categories are fluid. But we need ways to describe things. African-American acknowledges that we're referring to someone's ancestry, not simply the color of their skin. I think a lot of people have found it an improvement to shift the focus in that way. The fact that there are still issues with it only shows that trying to describe "race" is an impossible thing.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #44
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

I definitely feel a difference in tone when someone says "gays" versus for example, "people who are gay," or "Mexicans" versus "Mexican people. I think there's something linguistically about replacing a person's personhood with a category. Adding "the" puts things over the top. Saying "The gays" or "the blacks" or "the mexicans" seems to make an even stronger statement of otherness, or lumping them into some thing of which they all must be a part. Maybe it's just because it's the terms that prejudiced people typically use? Or is there something in the linguistics that changes the tone of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I definitely feel a difference in tone when someone says "gays" versus for example, "people who are gay," or "Mexicans" versus "Mexican people. I think there's something linguistically about replacing a person's personhood with a category. Adding "the" puts things over the top. Saying "The gays" or "the blacks" or "the mexicans" seems to make an even stronger statement of otherness, or lumping them into some thing of which they all must be a part. Maybe it's just because it's the terms that prejudiced people typically use? Or is there something in the linguistics that changes the tone of it.

Very well said, for me it is a tone thing. It comes off to me as carrying some distain for that group when it is said that way.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #46
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Neither. Here's what i think.

We should get rid of marriage as a legal entity. Allow anyone who wants to, male-male, male-female, female-female, multiple partners, ect to enter into civic unions.

Let churches marry whoever they feel okay marrying.

Get the state out of marriage completely and let's move on to teh next issue.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Understandable. It's impossible to read tone on a message board. You could even take the word 'homosexual' and give it a negative tone. Think of a slow southern drawl "homa sekshul". "That guy over there.... he's one of those homosexuals"
Old 01-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #48
RedKingGold
College Starter

Marriage = no.

Civil union/domestic partnership w/ all legal rights granted to married couples = yes.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #49
RedKingGold
College Starter

To clarify my opinion, religious instutitions should not have definitions of "marriage" forced upon them. Religious institutions should have the right to deny recognizing or granting a marriage to individuals who do not follow their principles.

That being said, the government does not have the same right. The government should allow same-sex couples to enjoy the same tax benefits and other which heterosexual couples enjoy.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 01-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #50
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah, I really wish someone would just split the knot by instituting only legal unions by the government, and leave the word marriage in the public market place. Leaves no one anything to complain about as far as I can see.