Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #352
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival;2566926[B
]Lucic did nothing wrong. If Miller wants to sprint 20-30 feet from the goal to play a puck then he should get lit up.[/b]

With that said, all 5 Buffalo players should have had their gloves off before Miller hit the ice. That's the softest thing I've seen in a while and I'm a Caps fan.

Other than the rules say you can't, I'll agree.

I think they should be fair game when playing the puck outside the crease, but until the rule is changed, it's a penalty.

The part of the argument that makes no sense to me of the Lucic hit is that he was still pursuing the puck. His stick was not on the ice for like 6 strides. A bang-bang play like that, if you are going for the puck, your stick is on the ice, reaching for the puck.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #353
RendeR
Coordinator

Lucic had every chance to avoid that hit and by the rules that is required. And the idea that there was no "intent" is complete shit since the replays shows him lifting his shoulder into Miller's head quite plainly.

Lucic should have been beaten bloody on the ice, no argument there. I was disgusted that the Sabres went limp dick on that. If your Goaltender gets hit you fucking beat down the bastard that did it, then there won't BE a next time.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #354
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Other than the rules say you can't, I'll agree.

I think they should be fair game when playing the puck outside the crease, but until the rule is changed, it's a penalty.

Which rule are you speaking of? As far as I know, the goalie has legally been fair game outside of the blue paint forever.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #355
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Hell I play beer league, and if someone did that to any goalie there'd probably be a fight
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #356
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Which rule are you speaking of? As far as I know, the goalie has legally been fair game outside of the blue paint forever.

I don't think that's the case. I've seen numerous "goalie interference" calls where a player happens to run into or check a goalie outside of the blue paint.

That said, Lucic did get a penalty on the play.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #357
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ok I looked it up, here is the pertinent portion of goalie interference (bolding is my own):

"69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.
When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent."

So in this scenario it all comes down to whether we believe Lucic could have avoided contact after Miller moved the puck, which I think is reasonable to assume he could have. So a penalty was definitely warranted.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #358
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Rutherford's choices in free agency this offseason have not worked out so far (*cough*Kaberle*cough*cough*), either.

The rest of the league knew what Rutherford apparently did not: Kaberle is waaaay overrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #359
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Speaking of tire fires...well, that's pretty much the entire Carolina roster at this point. Aside from the game against the Pens that they nearly gagged away, they've been pretty much blitzed by every team they've faced over the past couple of weeks. Tonight was just more of the same. Choppy play, sloppy defense, more "gliding" over skating, etc. Overall, the team is pretty well stuck in a rut.

The media focus whenever it shifts to Carolina is now beginning the inevitable "Maurice may be in trouble" storyline. Not too surprising as aside from the several months after he replaced Laviolette and goosed them into the playoffs in 2009 and the frantic push to get out of the massive hole they found themselves in 2010, the team has played mediocre at best hockey. I will say it's not entirely on him, though. Rutherford's choices in free agency this offseason have not worked out so far (*cough*Kaberle*cough*cough*), either.

Of course, the inevitable problem is, who replaces Maurice? After all, Laviolette is still coaching in Philadelphia right now, so you can't bring him back (even though I think he'd just as soon light himself on fire as come back given the acrimony between him and Karmanos and Rutherford). No chance at recycling as a result.

I am saying this with complete honesty.

I watched the entire game Saturday night (full disclosure: It was the Pens feed, so it was Steigerwald and Errey). If you would have questioned me after, I would have bet you Kaberle did not play. I did not hear his name or notice him at any point.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #360
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I am saying this with complete honesty.

I watched the entire game Saturday night (full disclosure: It was the Pens feed, so it was Steigerwald and Errey). If you would have questioned me after, I would have bet you Kaberle did not play. I did not hear his name or notice him at any point.

I experienced the same phenomenon multiples times while Bruins games last year in the playoffs.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #361
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Ok I looked it up, here is the pertinent portion of goalie interference (bolding is my own):

"69.4 Contact Outside the Goal Crease - If an attacking player initiates any contact with a goalkeeper, other than incidental contact, while the goalkeeper is outside his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.
A goalkeeper is not “fair game” just because he is outside the goal crease. The appropriate penalty should be assessed in every case where an attacking player makes unnecessary contact with the goalkeeper. However, incidental contact will be permitted when the goalkeeper is in the act of playing the puck outside his goal crease provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such unnecessary contact.
When a goalkeeper has played the puck outside of his crease and is then prevented from returning to his crease area due to the deliberate actions of an attacking player, such player may be penalized for goalkeeper interference. Similarly, the goalkeeper may be penalized, if by his actions outside of his crease he deliberately interferes with an attacking player who is attempting to play the puck or an opponent."

So in this scenario it all comes down to whether we believe Lucic could have avoided contact after Miller moved the puck, which I think is reasonable to assume he could have. So a penalty was definitely warranted.

Seeing how Lucic made no effort AT ALL, to avoid contact in any way and in fact leaned INTO the hit. I stand by the fact that Shanahan's a fucking puss bag and the Sabres should have left Lucic bleeding in the corner of the rink..

Even Fraser, who reffed more games than god it seems like, agrees that Shanahan fucked up.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=380468

Last edited by RendeR : 11-15-2011 at 10:27 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #362
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Seeing how Lucic made no effort AT ALL, to avoid contact in any way and in fact leaned INTO the hit. I stand by the fact that Shanahan's a fucking puss bag and the Sabres should have left Lucic bleeding in the corner of the rink..

Even Fraser, who reffed more games than god it seems like, agrees that Shanahan fucked up.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=380468

Yeah...I think the League is prepared for the next game what, 8 days away?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #363
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I stand by the fact that Shanahan's a fucking puss bag and the Sabres should have left Lucic bleeding in the corner of the rink..

C'mon RendeR tell us how you really feel.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #364
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

When Kerry Fraser admits that someone missed a call, you KNOW they fucked up.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #365
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah...I think the League is prepared for the next game what, 8 days away?

I wouldn't get your hopes too high.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #366
Grover
Pro Starter

Nasty.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #367
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues win again.. hello Mr. Hitchcock!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #368
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the Duchene goal was awesome. Malkin had a beauty in the game as well. Unfortunately.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #369
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Nasty.

French?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #370
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
the Duchene goal was awesome. Malkin had a beauty in the game as well. Unfortunately.

I was there. Both great goals.

I thought when Jones scored to end the 1st, it just was not the Penguins night.

I hope they can find a spot for Crosby in a week or so
Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #371
Logan
Head Coach

Seven in a row for the Rangers! Impressed with how the defense has played without Marc Staal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #372
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

The only thing I understood in that clip was ".... Duchene ..... wow .... "
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #373
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was there. Both great goals.

I thought when Jones scored to end the 1st, it just was not the Penguins night.

I hope they can find a spot for Crosby in a week or so

I talk to one of my best friends almost daily (despite that he's a Pens fan), works for KDKA and has been hearing a lot about Crosby practicing with Neal and Malkin, which is frightening for the rest of the league.

He thought the Pens were done last night too, neither of us could believe the Avs buckled like that. Great third period from the Pens.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #374
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
French?

Oui.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #375
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I talk to one of my best friends almost daily (despite that he's a Pens fan), works for KDKA and has been hearing a lot about Crosby practicing with Neal and Malkin, which is frightening for the rest of the league.

He thought the Pens were done last night too, neither of us could believe the Avs buckled like that. Great third period from the Pens.

Monday Crosby took Sullivan's spot on that line during practice. Sullivan only played 11 minutes vs Carolina Saturday night, and sat out a few practices as a precaution.

They are doing this too without Zbynek Michalek, who is arguably their best D in their own end, and their best PK defender-- and they are still #1 on the PK.

I'm not foolish enough to believe there won't be other bumps along the way and some more injuries, but with a full roster, I like this team against anyone in 7 games.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #376
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One of Lady H_B's good friend's brother is dating former Red Wing Jiri Fischer's ex-wife.

That's all I got.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #377
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
One of Lady H_B's good friend's brother is dating former Red Wing Jiri Fischer's ex-wife.

That's all I got.

A diagram for those of you who need it.

Code:
H_B==Lady H_B | | V GGF---->GGFB==?==JFxW==!!==JF==!!==Red Wings

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #378
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Where's flere when we need him?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #380
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Go Jets Go!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #382
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Welp, the Wings officially have a team that they can't seem to beat. Must have something to do with McClellan being the coach of the Sharks, because Babcock and crew haven't been able to figure them out in 3 years.

*sigh*

Quote:
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #383
Galaxy
Coordinator

Epic fail?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #384
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

That's all I got.

Pics please.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
A diagram for those of you who need it.

Code:
H_B==Lady H_B | | V GGF---->GGFB==?==JFxW==!!==JF==!!==Red Wings

Thanks for the diagram, Chief. About sums it up. Six degrees of separation!

I have a similar connection to the Black Hawks. My good friend's wife's cousin is married to ex-Black Hawk Keith Carney, who is currently serving as the Black Hawk's head of player development, same role Fischer has for the Wings.

I am so totally connected.

Quote:
Pics please.

I searched for pics, but couldn't find any. Though this guy (our friend's brother) once told his sister, "I only date 9s and 10s, so you know she's hot..." when describing some woman he was dating.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #387
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I searched for pics, but couldn't find any. Though this guy (our friend's brother) once told his sister, "I only date 9s and 10s, so you know she's hot..." when describing some woman he was dating.

Usually when guys say that, they're aren't.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #388
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Usually when guys say that, they're aren't.

I can't say. Never met any of the guy's girlfriends. But he's a former minor league hockey player and owns a bar, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #390
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
I have a similar connection to the Black Hawks. My good friend's wife's cousin is married to ex-Black Hawk Keith Carney, who is currently serving as the Black Hawk's head of player development, same role Fischer has for the Wings.

Carney was the slowest d-man on the Hawks roster in NHL '95.

Quote:
Old 11-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #391
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Carney was the slowest d-man on the Hawks roster in NHL '95.

And I loved him for it. I liked having at least on physical slow defenseman in that game, because he was often too slow to get caught up ice. Doug Houda was a star for me in that capacity.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #392
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Crosby back Monday night vs Isles.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #393
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Crosby back Monday night vs Isles.

Who?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #394
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who?

Some center the Penguins want to try on the 3rd line behind Malkin and Staal. Seems OK
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #395
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Craig Smith makes David Legwand feels a little better about himself

http://www.youtube.com/v/FJNmFDR5mmU?version=3&ampamphl=en_US[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Bah...embed actually worked for me for a couple weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJNmFDR5mmU

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 11-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #396
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Power went out in Anaheim in the first period. Shrewd move Carlyle.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #398
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Nice booing a kid is cool.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #399
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

A Flyers fan on booing ettiquette. What is this?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #400
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Power went out in Anaheim in the first period. Shrewd move Carlyle.

Cue joke about the power never coming back on in the Anaheim bench area.

BTW, I wonder what the heck is going on at the Honda Center? The start of the third period last Thursday was delayed a good 15 minutes or so as well by a lighting issue.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote