Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #601
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Overall I don't see that as heart breaking, but that just might be me.

If the mother was a character that we got to know and have a feeling for throughout the show it may qualify as heart breaking but based on the way the entire series has played out it has always been a possibility (how many parents sit down and reflect on how they met their spouse with their kids with such depth unless it is after they have lost that person; especially since the mother is never involved in that conversation).

I could see the heart breaking reference being Lilly and Marshall splitting up because of their career paths.

I can't imagine they would do that. I have always just figured the mom would walk in at the end and say something like, "kids -- let me tell you how I met your dad."
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #602
RainMaker
General Manager

I always thought it was a viable way to end it. But I do think that article reads a little too much into things. Heartbreaking could just be a way for them to describe the ending of a long running show. It's been a staple of people's TV schedule for nearly a decade. You won't get to see those characters again.

I didn't think the last episode was that bad. But this season is bad and I really think they made a huge mistake by putting it all within this wedding weekend. Limits the storylines they can go with unless they use a lot of flashbacks like the last episode. The whole thing feels like a gimmick at this point and the only reason to watch is to see what happens with the mother.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #603
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
But this season is bad and I really think they made a huge mistake by putting it all within this wedding weekend. Limits the storylines they can go with unless they use a lot of flashbacks like the last episode. The whole thing feels like a gimmick at this point and the only reason to watch is to see what happens with the mother.

Maybe that's what they meant by heartbreaking... sitting through this season.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #604
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The mother might be dead. But I still think that, if that's the case, then the kids's bemused expressions throughout the story are way off. And weird things like "I might have married Stella and she'd be your mom" would be strange b/c of the implication of "your Mom wouldn't be dead then"

I think that the heartbreak will be between Barney and Robin.

We've seen flash-forwards to a future where Lily and Marshall are still together.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #605
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Just about every episode has elements that a father would not tell his teenage children. Pretty much everything that involves Barney, for example.

The teenagers, if they were real, wouldn't sit very still for intimate details about the woman he almost married, or all the women he had one-and-dones with.

It has always been a gimmick. It was a bit weird in the first few episodes, then we got used to it and didn't think it through.

As for killing the wife off in the final episode? Sure, emotionally. If the episode is written well, it might be very powerful.

But there's only so much they can do. After the first season, the kids started looking very much older, and the producers had to stick with what they shot in the first season. Most episodes just contain a stock reaction loop of the kids - many don't even have that.

However, they did shoot parts of the series finale in the first season. So, if they planned to kill off mom right from the start, they have that scene. They just can't change it to reflect anything from the last eight seasons.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #606
Logan
Head Coach

They would have needed it to be part of an alternate ending at the time. Victoria was going to be the mother if the show didn't get picked up after the first season.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #607
Easy Mac

I really wanted John Cryer to dance in the background while Try a Little Tenderness was playing at the end.

I keep counting down how many episodes are left to my wife at the end of each episode.

Just 16 more to go.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #608
rowech
Pro Starter

Best episode of HIMYM in a LOOOOOONGGGG time.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #609
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

Yes, not a lot of lol moments but I like how they tied everything together.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #610
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh. The How I Met Your Mother Spinoff Is Happening -- Vulture

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #611
chadritt
High School Varsity

I feel like spinoff is the wrong term, if they can come up with good characters and not drag the new show out too long I'm all for it.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #612
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post

I just saw this episode (and the one before it) - some really great HIMYM episodes in a row. The show is finally moving forward and getting better and better as it comes to the end, which is fantastic. I think I read from the AVClub that the framing technique (telling the kids how the mother and Ted met) allows for great flexibility and creativity in flash forwards and flash backs. The flash forward to the proposal on the lighthouse in Nov 4 episode and the flash back to when Barney takes on a new challenge in the Nov 11 ep tend to really flesh out the story (esp when we see Ted's forelorn and slightly frustrated look after Barney's story of how he decided to pursue Robin - knowing that Ted finds his future wife not long after this).
Old 11-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #613
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

this past week's episode was a step back from the previous.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #614
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Haven't seen it, but based on the description, I felt it had to be. Barney doing hijinks to deal with daddy issues may be amusing, but it doesn't do much in advancing the narrative - the HIMYM writers are doing a fantastic job of telling a story this last season (something that hasn't happened in two years due to the treading water of 'we have high ratings and we want to make some more money before we end this').
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #615
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
this past week's episode was a step back from the previous.

Anytime we can get a Neil Patrick Harris musical number I will be happy. But outside of that, completely agree.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #616
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What a f***ing waste of time tonight's episode was.

As for a complete 180, I finally watched last week's Big Bang Theory and that was freaking awesome (I was laughing so hard I still have tears in my eyes).
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #617
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
What a f***ing waste of time tonight's episode was.

As for a complete 180, I finally watched last week's Big Bang Theory and that was freaking awesome (I was laughing so hard I still have tears in my eyes).

I didn't really laugh at all but I still thought it was fairly well done give what they wanted to do. Not sure if I liked it or not.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #618
MrBug708
Head Coach

I laughed pretty hard at the Derek Jeter part.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #619
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

There were funny moments (like the Jeter part) but I still liked it. I was impressed with their rhyming action.

/tk
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #620
MrBug708
Head Coach

I agree. I can understand the frustration of not following the plot line really. They kind of hamstrung themselves with the whole weekend wedding = whole season, but if this was done in seasons 1-4, it probably gets ranked higher IMO
Old 11-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #621
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

After they really raised the bar for this season with the Barney meets the Mom episode they have been floundering since. Serious pacing issues to this season. I wouldn't mind more flashback type episodes but this one was just corny.

As I said, SOOOOO glad I watched last week's Big Bang Theory afterwards, that was one of the funniest shows in recent memory.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #622
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Okay - now that was actually a good episode.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #623
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Is there any way in the world people would tune into HIMYM this season if they weren't fans of the show from years past?

I'm beginning to think George R. R. Martin wrote the Marshall pieces this year. Just give Daphne a breastplate and a sword and it's the same story.

I keep watching, but I know the payoff is unlikely. I just hope the last minute of the show isn't the moment they meet.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #624
Logan
Head Coach

It very likely could be...it's why we've already seen instances of them together at future points in their life, and supposedly there are going to more of those before the finale. All to make the closing shot of them meeting not be as annoying as it would be otherwise.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #625
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hope she is dead. My wifes reaction would be priceless.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #626
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm, This has actually been a really good season, IMO. I love how they are moving the story forward, while only telling about a weekend. Some great humor here and some wonderful callbacks to seasons past. Makes up for the last 2 seasons, that's for sure.

(edit: I have seen the last ep - and I loved it)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 12-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #627
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hmmm, This has actually been a really good season, IMO. I love how they are moving the story forward, while only telling about a weekend. Some great humor here and some wonderful callbacks to seasons past. Makes up for the last 2 seasons, that's for sure.

(edit: I have seen the last ep - and I loved it)

Go watch any random three-episode stretch from season two or three and see if you can still say that with a straight face.

I'm still watching because I feel compelled to throw good money after bad. But I wouldn't describe this season as good. The best I'd say about it is that it has been adequate so far.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #628
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not saying this is the best season, but it is definitely a good one. Especially the flash forwards and the flash backs. I love how they are linking and tying things to other things stated or referred to prior in the series. Obviously that sort of thing couldn't be done in earlier season (there could be teases of what was to come), but I think it works perfectly for this one.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #629
Racer
College Benchwarmer

The HIMYM series finale is apparently going to air on March 31st. There are still going to be 24 episodes, just way less reruns then there normally would be.

How I Met Your Mother series finale to air in March, followed by Friends with Better Lives
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:40 AM   #630
RedKingGold
College Starter

Good god, last night's HIMYM was horrible.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 AM   #631
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Good god, last night's HIMYM was horrible.

Yeah. First time I have been really disappointed with the show.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #632
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like Segal finally had a full week off from whatever movie(s) he had been working on.

Shame because I normally love everything slap-related.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #633
MrBug708
Head Coach

I thought last night's episode was funny. Pointless but funny
Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #634
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I thought last night's episode was funny. Pointless but funny

Yeah same here. I liked it.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #635
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Last night's show was horrible. There were a couple smirk inducing moments but nothing I would consider actually funny. They have seriously mailed in these last few seasons.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #636
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I might have actually found it funnier if they made it somewhat more...realistic as far as who he went and met with to train, and if they hadn't used the stars of the show in silly pseudo-disguise as the trainers, but used actual you know...SPECIAL GUEST STARS.

As it was...I watched the very end, but skipped thru the rest.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM   #637
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Simon Cowell would have called last night's show "indulgent".

I accept that we've been asked to assume that the HIMYM world is (like South Park) a fantasy world where odd things happen. But that was an inconsistent disaster that seemed to exist only to provide as many puns including the word "slap" as humanly possible.

They need to ask themselves if they're putting out a product where every episode could be the first episode you see and your reaction is, "hey, I think I might like this show."

Very little of this season has passed that test.

The question I have at this point is whether I'll prefer this season of HIMYM to the current season of Downton Abbey. After two complete stinkers to open the Downton season, this could be a close race.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #638
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Simon Cowell would have called last night's show "indulgent".

I accept that we've been asked to assume that the HIMYM world is (like South Park) a fantasy world where odd things happen. But that was an inconsistent disaster that seemed to exist only to provide as many puns including the word "slap" as humanly possible.

They need to ask themselves if they're putting out a product where every episode could be the first episode you see and your reaction is, "hey, I think I might like this show."

Very little of this season has passed that test.

The question I have at this point is whether I'll prefer this season of HIMYM to the current season of Downton Abbey. After two complete stinkers to open the Downton season, this could be a close race.

Well said. Indulgent indeed is a good word for it.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #639
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Asians up in arms over 'How I Met Your Mother' episode - CNN.com
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #640
Logan
Head Coach

There was "yellowface" in there?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #641
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think... maybe it was probably Ted's get up that caused the problems. Wearing the fake fu manchu mustache may have been a step too far.

Awesome episode though, and Boys to Men singing about slaps!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #642
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There was "yellowface" in there?

Yes. A lot of it. Three of their white leading actors and actresses dressed up in really blatant yellowface for a gag that even the creators have acknowledged was a huge miss. The dresses and makeup on robin and lily were pretty bad but the fu manchu was when it finally became "are you kidding me?" territory.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #643
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think... maybe it was probably Ted's get up that caused the problems. Wearing the fake fu manchu mustache may have been a step too far.

Awesome episode though, and Boys to Men singing about slaps!

We must have different definitions of awesome. I found that episode to be a total waste of time.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #644
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib View Post
We must have different definitions of awesome. I found that episode to be a total waste of time.

Same here. I watched it last night and not a moment where I laughed the entire episode. Very disappointing episode.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #645
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, it didn't advance the plot much, so I'd echo MrBug - 'pointless but funny'. I enjoyed how funny it was and, you had to have a slap episode before the end. FWIW, I laughed throughout the entire thing. Especially Chinese Ted on the floor saying he has 10 more minutes and Barney finding himself under a willow tree with 4 women and a tiger.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #646
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

People seriously need to chill the f*** out.

The only thing they should be apologizing for is how bad the last few seasons have been (and Monday's episode fits into that apology).
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #647
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Same here. I watched it last night and not a moment where I laughed the entire episode. Very disappointing episode.

The only time I laughed was when Boyz II Men came out.

The sad thing is, it really ruined the slap for me. Those are usually great episodes.

/tk
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #648
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pretty deep and funny episode.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #649
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Lily broke up with Marshall and went to San Francisco. Lily hid tons of credit card debt from him. People make mistakes, and he's forgiven her for those. But for her to claim that she's never been selfish? Most of the things that have driven the Marshall/Lily storyline have been her being selfish.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #650
Logan
Head Coach

Really liked last night's.