Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #151
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
It was a very sloppy performance from Buffalo - Carolina could have scored three shorties if not for a goalpost (Staal can't score on a breakaway if his life depended on it). Just too loosey-goosey. Vanek had a forgettable game but he'll bounce back.

Fixed. (Yes, I know, a bit late to the party, but I've been offline the last couple of days.... )
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #152
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I ran into Justin Abdlekader this morning.

I was walking my dog and ran into him as he was leaving his apartment building and getting into a car to go to practice. I am pretty sure he was carpooling with a teammate, but I couldn't tell who was driving.

I think Brett Lebda lived in the same highrise building when he was here. I am pretty sure I saw him a few years back on Super Bowl Sunday while walking my dog.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #153
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I was walking my dog and ran into him as he was leaving his apartment building and getting into a car to go to practice. I am pretty sure he was carpooling with a teammate, but I couldn't tell who was driving.

I think Brett Lebda lived in the same highrise building when he was here. I am pretty sure I saw him a few years back on Super Bowl Sunday while walking my dog.

I read that line as you saw him while he was walking your dog. I have to assume that even on a leash, the dog still got behind him.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #154
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Stalker

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #155
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Stalker

It's not my fault that they live in the one sort of "swanky" highrise apartment building in my little town (place has a doorman and everything!). In fact, the one year he was with the Tigers Matt Traenor also lived in that building.

It's also not my fault that there happens to be a little restaurant right next door to this apartment building that always has dog biscuits outside and, therefore, we must always (ALWAYS) go down that street. I try alternate routes sometimes and my dog has none of it. He loves his treats.

That said, I have the skill set to be an excellent stalker. Though I don't think Brett Lebda or Justin Abdlekader would rank high on my potential stalkees list.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #157
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
It's not my fault that they live in the one sort of "swanky" highrise apartment building in my little town (place has a doorman and everything!). In fact, the one year he was with the Tigers Matt Traenor also lived in that building.

It's also not my fault that there happens to be a little restaurant right next door to this apartment building that always has dog biscuits outside and, therefore, we must always (ALWAYS) go down that street. I try alternate routes sometimes and my dog has none of it. He loves his treats.

That said, I have the skill set to be an excellent stalker. Though I don't think Brett Lebda or Justin Abdlekader would rank high on my potential stalkees list.

Oh I know where you are. Time to stalk you. TABLES HAVE BEEN TURNED!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #158
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Oh I know where you are. Time to stalk you. TABLES HAVE BEEN TURNED!

oh shi
Old 10-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #159
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Kyle Wellwood scored a goal 8 seconds into the game tonight or the amount of time it takes him to eat 3 donuts.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #160
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Isn't this what every stalker says?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #161
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Kyle Wellwood scored a goal 8 seconds into the game tonight or the amount of time it takes him to eat 3 donuts.

Half that time is making room from the first 3 of the 1/2 dozen he's already chewing.

Alex Burmistrov is slick.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #162
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs have the best record in the West right now. I won't be able to say that for long, but I will enjoy it while I can
Old 10-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #163
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Jets get a win!

They finally played a good game, and even though the Penguins were without a bunch of their best players, I'm still very pleased with what I saw tonight. Pavelec stood on his head and saved the game, while Fleury put on quite a show of his own at the other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Alex Burmistrov is slick.

Burmistrov is awesome, he is quickly becoming my favorite Jet. Burmistrov, Antropov, and Wellwood are by far the more dangerous line right now when compared to Little, Ladd, and Wheeler. Thorburn, Glass, and Slater seem to be a very solid checking line.

Scheiflie needs to go back to juniors, I'm not sure he even saw the ice in the third period (with good reason). He needs to spend a year playing 20 minutes a game and dominating some kids before he comes back to the bigs.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #164
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Got to see Smyth score his first goal as an Oiler (redux) that ended up being the winner...the barn went bananas!!!

Hall scored his first of the season on a pretty cross ice feed from the Nuge.

Haven't been in the building for an Oilers' win since last December when Omark scored in the shootout in first NHL game to win it against Tampa Bay.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 AM   #165
bbor
Pro Starter

I really like EDM......i really hate their D and G though. They need to trade a couple of those young forwards for 2 solid D-men.Besides Whitney they are running with all #5 and #6 D-men.

I think they need a goalie too....i know everyone in EDM loves Dubby but i don't see it.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #166
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I really like EDM......i really hate their D and G though.

Yup...but the "rebuild" is still in effect, or so we're being told, so I doubt we see anything drastic this season with regards to the obvious issues plaguing this team...they say they are staying the course. But something will have to happen with Hemsky before too long...question is, what? Re-sign him or deal him? Would he sign a short term deal after signing on the cheap for his first deal? Will he fetch much with all the injury issues he's had?

Gilbert is probably a 2nd pairing guy on most teams and Petry looks like he's got the tools to be just as good as Gilbert, if not better. Other than that, you're right, plenty of scrubs.

I think Dubnyk could be a pretty good one behind a better team...i.e. more top 4 d-men and less bottom pair guys...or at least I'm willing to ride it out to see what we have with him.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #167
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I would love to see Detroit pick up Hemsky.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks beat the Sharks again last night, 3-2, this time on the road and with Ellis in net. Playing very strong hockey to start the season. They are now 4-1-0.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #169
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Jets get a win!

They finally played a good game, and even though the Penguins were without a bunch of their best players, I'm still very pleased with what I saw tonight.

Since they like Kunitz-Staal - (Kennedy when healthy here), who do you use to center the "1st" line with Neal and Sullivane, with no Crosby, no Geno and Mark Letestu stinking? Richard Park!

Park was also the answer to a trivia question on ROOT Pittsburgh last night. He was the only player on the roster to have played in Winnipeg prior to last night.

Quote:
Pavelec stood on his head and saved the game, while Fleury put on quite a show of his own at the other end.

Both goalies were good. And a handful of posts.

Quote:
Burmistrov is awesome, he is quickly becoming my favorite Jet.

I know this will be sacrilege, especially to Detox and HB, but he's like a baby Datsyuk. He never looks overwhelmed or out of place.

Quote:
Burmistrov, Antropov, and Wellwood are by far the more dangerous line right now when compared to Little, Ladd, and Wheeler. Thorburn, Glass, and Slater seem to be a very solid checking line.

What's up with E Kane? I am a big fan of Ladd and Kane. Wheeler, not so much. Burmistrov plays the game Wheeler should play. Has there been a softer big forward in recent memory?

Quote:
Scheiflie needs to go back to juniors, I'm not sure he even saw the ice in the third period (with good reason). He needs to spend a year playing 20 minutes a game and dominating some kids before he comes back to the bigs.

He looked very weak. Not in terms of ability, just strength-wise, it's apparent he's still developing. He shouldn't be playing in the NHL at this point.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #170
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I would love to see Detroit pick up Hemsky.

So he can sit on their injured reserve after my dog bumps into him while he's coming out The Fifth?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #171
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Has there been a softer big forward in recent memory?

I know this one...Dustin Penner?

Regarding Hemsky to Detroit...definitely a possibility but until he shows he can stay healthy I think the Oilers are better off signing him to a 2-year deal unless somebody comes in offering a couple of first round picks...which would be ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #172
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Kris Letang (The drink of the French Astronaut) gets 2 games suspension for boarding call on Burmistrov last night.

Black and Gold glasses aside, pretty weak. I think most would agree Burmistrov turned as Letang was coming in.

The Chris Kunitz crosscheck to the face of Tanner Glass during the same sequence was more vicious, and wasn't even looked at.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #173
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So he can sit on their injured reserve after my dog bumps into him while he's coming out The Fifth?

Obviously his body would heal in the the more mild Michigan climate.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #174
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Kris Letang (The drink of the French Astronaut) gets 2 games suspension for boarding call on Burmistrov last night.

Black and Gold glasses aside, pretty weak. I think most would agree Burmistrov turned as Letang was coming in.

The Chris Kunitz crosscheck to the face of Tanner Glass during the same sequence was more vicious, and wasn't even looked at.

Really? Pretty blatant hit from behind in my eyes. But I do agree that Kunitz should have been hauled in especially after the Wild's P.M. Bouchard incident last week.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 10-18-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #175
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

4 Pens suspensions in less than a year. Glad to see the team listen to their owners words
Old 10-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #176
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Really? Pretty blatant hit from behind in my eyes. But I do agree that Kunitz should have been hauled in especially after the Wild's P.M. Bouchard incident last week.

Burmistrov turns when Letang is within a stride. I think the deciding factor was him extending arms rather than continuing with his body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
4 Pens suspensions in less than a year. Glad to see the team listen to their owners words
Apparently Uncle Gary's price has gone up.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #177
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Bruins lost a very frustrating game to Carolina and the refs tonight. I don't think I've seen a game called so one sided in a very long time.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #178
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
What's up with E Kane? I am a big fan of Ladd and Kane. Wheeler, not so much. Burmistrov plays the game Wheeler should play. Has there been a softer big forward in recent memory?

Kane is injured, not sure with what though. I haven't been very impressed with him to this point (never really saw him play as a Thrasher), but perhaps it's been an injury that has plagued him for several games. I guess we'll see.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 10-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #179
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Burmistrov turns when Letang is within a stride. I think the deciding factor was him extending arms rather than continuing with his body.

I disagree; Burmi was following the puck in, not turning his back to the check. Obviously my glasses are tinted blue though
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #180
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I disagree; Burmi was following the puck in, not turning his back to the check. Obviously my glasses are tinted blue though

Burmistrov himself said he turned.

Bob Errey had a pretty good point too on the Pens pregame tonight.

Paraphrasing, but he said he played over 1,000 NHL games, and it would never occur to him, when playing a puck in the defensive zone, to take a puck on the wall, and turn deeper into his own zone, when he could turn out toward the blue line. So I am not sure how that was taking the "predictable" path.

But, overall, as long as it's relatively consistent going forward, I'm fine with it.

This is up at HF

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 10-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #181
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Ottawa is BAD
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #182
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Awesome (The Press Your Luck board)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2011 at 07:44 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #183
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have found it harder than ever this year to really get into the NHL season. I have watched some of some of the Wings games and a few parts of other games here and there, but not much else.

I think this has to do with:

1. The Tigers having been in the playoffs.

2. Lions doing well and being on Monday night, etc.

3. The Red Wings ridiculous schedule. They played on Thursday and Saturday two weeks ago. Then played Friday/Saturday last weekend. And they play Friday/Saturday this weekend. There are these long breaks with any games. It's like some college hockey schedule. I think things finally return to "normal" after this weekend.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #184
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I have found it harder than ever this year to really get into the NHL season. I have watched some of some of the Wings games and a few parts of other games here and there, but not much else.

3. The Red Wings ridiculous schedule. They played on Thursday and Saturday two weeks ago. Then played Friday/Saturday last weekend. And they play Friday/Saturday this weekend. There are these long breaks with any games. It's like some college hockey schedule. I think things finally return to "normal" after this weekend.

Meanwhile the Pens have played 8 games already in 14 days.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #185
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

This schedule is a killer for me as well. I am loving watching the Panthers play in the interim. Gudbranson is a joy to watch.

Anyway, Gustav Nyquist is looking great in GR. Gonna' be hard to keep this kid out of Detroit next year.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #186
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ya the Jets first 2 weeks of games were goofy too: a 9 day break between the pre-season and their first game, followed by another 4 day break before game 2. But now it is awesome, they are basically playing every other night for 2 weeks straight.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #187
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
This schedule is a killer for me as well. I am loving watching the Panthers play in the interim. Gudbranson is a joy to watch.

I watched the Caps/Panthers game the other night just for that reason.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #188
bronconick
College Starter

The schedule is awful. The Sharks played Saturday the 8th, then the 14th, 15th and 17th. Their next (and 5th game) game is tomorrow, the 21st. Later in the year, they play something like 35-36 games from February 1 to March 31st.

Of course, any time that they feel like playing hockey instead of whatever the hell they did last weekend would be nice, as well.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Of course, any time that they feel like playing hockey instead of whatever the hell they did last weekend would be nice, as well.

You know, it could be they ran into a good Ducks team.

I think the Pacific Division is going to be a fun one to watch this year, with the Sharks, Kings and Ducks fighting it out all year. They all look like very strong teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #190
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks schedule was weird, too, with the Europe trip. Two games out there, then a week off. Then three games in four days, and then three days off before coming back to action tonight.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #191
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You know, it could be they ran into a good Ducks team.

I think the Pacific Division is going to be a fun one to watch this year, with the Sharks, Kings and Ducks fighting it out all year. They all look like very strong teams.

I buy that until I realize that they turned Dan Ellis into Patrick Roy, as is their wont with backup goaltenders.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #192
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I buy that until I realize that they turned Dan Ellis into Patrick Roy, as is their wont with backup goaltenders.

Heh heh, good defense.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #193
Logan
Head Coach

First time I've had a chance to really get into a Rangers game this season and it was a really fun one against the Flames. Four goals in the 1st period, with the Flames answering both times, and it stayed that way all the way until Ryan McDonagh buried a backboard rebound home with 0.5 seconds left in OT to give NYR the win.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #194
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Colin White returns to New Jersey tonight in a Sharks uniform. This will mark the first time that I am happy to see Colin White on the ice in New Jersey.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #195
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Wings up 2-0 with two Franzen PP goals. Nice to see both him and the PP working well right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #196
bronconick
College Starter

Niemi fucking sucks. This is absurd.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #197
JPhillips
General Manager

Really impressive win by the Caps last night. The third and fourth lines are the keys to the team so far.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #199
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Most ridiculous thing last night, Pens vs Devils

Double minor high-stick call on Patrik Elias. Announced in the arena as Elias. Replays show it's Elias.

Petr Sykora skates to the box, steps in. Penguins bench going nuts. Refs look around, at each other, decide it's cool, somebody went to the box, drop the puck.

Who scores a SHG during the first half of the penalty? Patrik Elias.

It tied the game 1-1, Penguins scored on the PP later on, and add two more to win 4-1.

But, really, how does that happen?