Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #251
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Guys still in RFA get different deals though, because they aren't in danger of leaving immediately.

Myers $5M a year, Letang $3.5M last year, Staal $3.975M. The players got the security of bigger deals than they were earning, but the teams locked up players through some higher-priced UFA years.

If Myers had been a year from UFA, I'd imagine he's getting something like $6.5M per, like what Ryan Suter is going to command heading into that very scenario.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #252
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I love John Tortorella, the NY Rangers coach. He called out Joe Thornton after Big Joe called the Rangers "soft". I find it humorous that he said that they should have taken those 2 points, considering the Sharks lost that game 5-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #253
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I wish Tortorella would just shut his yap.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #254
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
+1 on the bolded.

Look at these guys, who have gone thru UFA in the last 2 offseasons:

Paul Martin ($5M)
Tomas Kaberle ($4.25M)
Zbynek Michalek ($4M)
James Wisniewski ($5.5M)
Ed Jovanovski ($4.25M)
Andrei Markov ($5.75M)
Anton Volchenkov ($4.25M)
Sergei Gonchar ($5.5M)
Eric Brewer ($3.85M)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.5M)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.6M)

There's not too many guys on that list I'd take ahead of Kronwall...if any.
I like what Martin and Michalek do here in Pittsburgh. Kronwall is a bit better offensively than either, and defensively, it's close though all 3 play a different style.

What about Jeff Finger?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #255
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
What about Jeff Finger?

Not an NHL defenseman

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #256
bronconick
College Starter

Last three players with GWG's vs. Detroit this season: Joe Thornton, Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi.

That's *got* to be getting old.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #257
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Jonas Hillier's 'Movember' mask

Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #258
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hey look a suburban rhythm post in this thread that doesn't have a dollar sign in it

Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #259
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

No way the Wings lose 5 in a row if we just would have signed Colin White.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 AM   #260
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Our boy HiFi must have been doing cartwheels last night. First, Ovechkin calls Bruce Boudreau a "fat fuck" for not putting him on the ice with the extra attacker with about 1:20 to go in the game and then the Caps tie it up anyway.

Keith Jones would not stop talking about how much of a genius Boudreau was for putting the "right" guys on the ice for that goal. It was getting a little out of hand. Get a room, fellas...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #262
rowech
Pro Starter

Taking a chance by posting this here. I'm a tabletop sports game player and am looking to buy this game for hockey:

Inside Sports Games

I'm not a hockey guy really but I'm deciding between buying 93-94 and 08-09. Any thoughts as to which of those seasons might be a good one to get me hooked on hockey so that I will continue to develop an interest? 93-94 is a season from when I kinda knew who the players were because of Sega Genesis and NHL hockey. On the flip side, I'm thinking to get hooked, I should probably get the more modern set to try and learn the current players.

Any thoughts at all?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #263
Logan
Head Coach

Considering 93-94 is the greatest season ever, I think you should go with that.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #264
bbor
Pro Starter

Brodeur finished?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #265
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Considering 93-94 is the greatest season ever, I think you should go with that.

Pavel Bure disagrees with you.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #266
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Taking a chance by posting this here. I'm a tabletop sports game player and am looking to buy this game for hockey:

Inside Sports Games

I'm not a hockey guy really but I'm deciding between buying 93-94 and 08-09. Any thoughts as to which of those seasons might be a good one to get me hooked on hockey so that I will continue to develop an interest? 93-94 is a season from when I kinda knew who the players were because of Sega Genesis and NHL hockey. On the flip side, I'm thinking to get hooked, I should probably get the more modern set to try and learn the current players.

Any thoughts at all?

I would recommend going for the 08-09 season. If you're looking to get hooked on hockey, I think it's better to play a more recent season. That way you get to learn more about the current players and teams, which can be a decent spring board to gaining interest in the sport.

Back in the day when I used to play a lot of Strat-o-Matic hockey, I ended up liking a bunch of players simply based on that game and learned a ton about a wide variety of players that I was never familiar with. If this game is as good as Strat-O, you should get a good feel of how each player plays the game, which should increase your interest in the sport.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #267
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pekka Rinne 7 year/$49M extension with the Preds

And fans in Detroit support this deal come July 1st.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #268
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I would recommend going for the 08-09 season. If you're looking to get hooked on hockey, I think it's better to play a more recent season. That way you get to learn more about the current players and teams, which can be a decent spring board to gaining interest in the sport.

Back in the day when I used to play a lot of Strat-o-Matic hockey, I ended up liking a bunch of players simply based on that game and learned a ton about a wide variety of players that I was never familiar with. If this game is as good as Strat-O, you should get a good feel of how each player plays the game, which should increase your interest in the sport.

By all accounts the game has a much better flow and much better detail that Strat which I play but have some issues with. I've kinda been leaning the way of getting more modern players for the exact reasons you outline.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #269
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
By all accounts the game has a much better flow and much better detail that Strat which I play but have some issues with. I've kinda been leaning the way of getting more modern players for the exact reasons you outline.

I would look into this game, if I had a group around to play it. I've played a ton of Strat-O hockey in my day. A ton. I love it. We tweaked some things here and there and I have since gone on line and found a TON of tweaks and rules changes.

It would be interesting to see how this game compares.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #270
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would look into this game, if I had a group around to play it. I've played a ton of Strat-O hockey in my day. A ton. I love it. We tweaked some things here and there and I have since gone on line and found a TON of tweaks and rules changes.

It would be interesting to see how this game compares.

My understanding is this game is a much better solitaire game than Strat hockey. As much as I love Strat, their games (other than baseball), just don't flow very well when playing solo. Strat hockey always bogged down for me because you're jumping between decks, then to the dice, etc. This game uses just one deck, no dice, and it all flows from the action deck. In addition, no real decisions in terms of shooters, etc. More like you're letting things flow naturally.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #271
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My understanding is this game is a much better solitaire game than Strat hockey. As much as I love Strat, their games (other than baseball), just don't flow very well when playing solo. Strat hockey always bogged down for me because you're jumping between decks, then to the dice, etc. This game uses just one deck, no dice, and it all flows from the action deck. In addition, no real decisions in terms of shooters, etc. More like you're letting things flow naturally.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

I only ever played Strat-O a few times alone. Mainly just to test out some different lines.

I think some of my friends would enjoy the "no real decisions in terms of shooters". I was famous for having one go to goal scorer on my teams. A ton of my offense would typically be funneled through one guy who, for whatever reason, scored for me. Tony Granato. Danton Cole. Stephane Richer. Were some of my best. Sadly, my system has a draw back because if you shut that guy down...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #272
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
Brodeur finished?
I TOTALLY DON'T SEE WHY YOU EVEN BOTHERED WITH A QUESTION MARK HERE
HE IS DONE
HELP
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #273
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I TOTALLY DON'T SEE WHY YOU EVEN BOTHERED WITH A QUESTION MARK HERE
HE IS DONE
HELP

I need to forward this to Zach. He needs to know that it's over in Jersey. Leave that mess to Kovie. Come to Detroit, Zach. We built this city on Red Wings goals.

Hey hey Hockeytown!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #274
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I need to forward this to Zach. He needs to know that it's over in Jersey. Leave that mess to Kovie. Come to Detroit, Zach. We built this city on Red Wings goals.

Hey hey Hockeytown!
LEAVE MY MAN ZACH PARISE ALONE!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #275
Grover
Pro Starter

Was happy to see Kaleta get suspended four games for that disgusting headbutt on Voracek last night. Shanahan's explanation on the hit was fantastic, highlighting it's the third time Kaleta has done something like this.

I only wish the Flyers got Marty tonight instead of Hedburg.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #276
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
LEAVE MY MAN ZACH PARISE ALONE!!!!!!!

You opened Pantera's Box with that Hot or Not poll. I'm hooked!

Don't worry, when Zach Parise comes to the Wings I promise I will buy you a Zach Parise Red Wings t-shirt.

Whoop, there it is.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #277
bbor
Pro Starter

Lupol Parise Kessel

I like that combo

Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #278
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Haven't seen the Wings in such a goal-scoring funk in many moons.......

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #279
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Was happy to see Kaleta get suspended four games for that disgusting headbutt on Voracek last night. Shanahan's explanation on the hit was fantastic, highlighting it's the third time Kaleta has done something like this.

I only wish the Flyers got Marty tonight instead of Hedburg.

I'm glad he hit with the suspension as well. It's nice to see the NHL finally have someone who actually gives a shit in regards to the dirty plays.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #280
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Haven't seen the Wings in such a goal-scoring funk in many moons.......

Game is over, 6 losses in a row now. Ugh.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #281
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Our man, Maple Leafs continues to build and expand on his comedic prowess.

Great job!

The NHL's Three Stars of Comedy - The Triangle Blog
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #282
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Our man, Maple Leafs continues to build and expand on his comedic prowess.

Great job!

The NHL's Three Stars of Comedy - The Triangle Blog

Sold out to the mothership!

Just kidding, Congrats Sean it is well deserved.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #283
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Prior to the Pens game in SJ last night, the Sharks presented Joe Thornton with a gift to commemerate his 1,000th career game.

And just what do you get a guy who reaches a thousand career NHL games? Why a mammoth tusk, of course!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #284
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

WTF?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #285
bronconick
College Starter

His teammates bought it, apparently. This *has* to be the story behind it.

Los Angeles Kings @ San Jose Sharks GameThread, Oct 28, 2009 7:30 PM PDT - Battle of California

Quote:
I don't know if you saw this quote, but I did and I spent way to much time considering its ramifications. The set up is that the Sharks were in Washington, D.C. and they had some spare time. Of course Joe Thornton wanted to go to the Smithsonian, not because he's cultured and wants to learn about history but because...
Quote:
"I’m a woolly mammoth guy, but there are so many cool things," Thornton said. "I’d definitely recommend going to see it."
Did you catch my favorite part? Here it is again, in case you missed it:
Quote:
I’m a woolly mammoth guy
Jesus Christ, Joe, you make it too easy. First off, the idea that Joe Thornton loves things that are big, thick and hairy is not surprising to anyone, I don't think. Secondly... I mean, the guy loves woolly mammoths?!?!? So much so that he considers himself a "woolly mammoth guy?" Who the fuck says things like that? Especially multimillionaires that are elite athletes to boot. What the hell is wrong with him? The greatest thing about that quote is that I can totally picture it. Can't you see Joe Thornton rounding up Ryane Clowe, Devin Setoguchi and Kent Huskins and excitedly leading them through the Museum of Natural History and then listening with rapt attention as the docent talks about the Mesozoic Era while the other 3 guys check their watches? Why doesn't Thornton speak in cliches and make commercials that show how cool he is instead of talking up woolly mammoths and making ventriloquist commercials? WHY AREN'T YOU LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE????
Joe Thornton is simultaneously the best and worst superstar ever.

Edit: Best quote over on HF about it.

Quote:
measly 1000th game. Chelios hunted down and killed his own mammoth on his 1000th birthday. He had it stuffed. It's in his basement.

Last edited by bronconick : 11-04-2011 at 01:36 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #286
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
measly 1000th game. Chelios hunted down and killed his own mammoth on his 1000th birthday. He had it stuffed. It's in his basement.

epic

Quote:
Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #288
bhlloy
Coordinator

They decided the rule doesn't actually mean what it says
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #290
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post

Anyone have an opinion on the proposed realignment for next year?

If Hamilton and KC really have been the closest cities, after Winnipeg, to getting teams that move, then this seems like an ideal spot to expand into those 2 cities and get 8 in each division in the near future.

Or..........Buttman could do the right thing and remove a few teams from the league that have no business being around at this point. Ok, everyone laugh now as we know that won't happen.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #292
Galaxy
Coordinator

I don't see Hamilton coming in anymore. (not that I ever did) Jim Balsillie's financial situation has taken a pretty nice hit with RIM down and out. I imagine his attention is also fully with RIM now.

Sabres finally play their best period of the year, and Karlsson is playing just lights out. Hopefully they stick with it and get Karlsson off.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-04-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #293
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, drop Florida and Phoenix and that works as well.

But the sun belt expansion has been such a smashing success!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #294
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola....I see Quebec City getting a team before Hamilton.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #296
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
So, how does the NHL review this shootout attempt and still not determine the puck stopped forward momentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
They decided the rule doesn't actually mean what it says

For me, the feet aren't even the worst part.

His stick blade is parallel to the goal line, and he pulls the puck back. How pulling the puck back away from the net is moving forward....yeah, not sure.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #297
Grover
Pro Starter

As a Flyers fan I thought for sure that goal was coming back while I was watching the game. Aside from that, I can't believe Lavy threw Simmonds out there and didn't use Talbot, who scored on a penalty shot earlier in the game.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #298
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Anyone have an opinion on the proposed realignment for next year?

If Hamilton and KC really have been the closest cities, after Winnipeg, to getting teams that move, then this seems like an ideal spot to expand into those 2 cities and get 8 in each division in the near future.

If they didn't want to keep the conferences strictly geographic (bring back the Campbell/Wales names or else drop the conferences altogether), they could do something like this:

Northeast: Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Atlantic: Islanders, Rangers, NJ, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina
Central: Columbus, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Florida
Pacific: Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, SJ, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-04-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Because someone wanted to be picky about me leaving Buffalo off... :)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #299
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
That would work as well. Bring back Quebec and add KC. Just do something to even out the divisions.

Seattle could be an option. They're trying to put together a financing plan to build a new arena. The whole realignment thing depends on what happens with the Coyotes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
If they didn't want to keep the conferences strictly geographic (bring back the Campbell/Wales names or else drop the conferences altogether), they could do something like this:

Northeast: Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota, Winnipeg
Atlantic: Islanders, Rangers, NJ, Philly, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina
Central: Columbus, Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Florida
Pacific: Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, SJ, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Colorado

Won't happen. The big thing is the time zones.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-04-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #300
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Did we contract Buffalo?