Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

2017 TV Thread

Yep 2017 I said, that's when a New Star Trek series is going to start on CBS. It will start on the network them move exclusively to CBS digital subscription service-which I didn't know existed. 2017 is a long way away but I suspect my fellow Trekkers will protest mightily they don't have "free" access to a new Trek show:

New Star Trek TV Series Official Details Released | Comicbook.com

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Let's hope it's better than Enterprise was.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

This is the way TV is going. Subscription-based, a la carte. Pay for what you want.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And not in a good way, mind.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Count me excited and not having any issue with paying for it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

First trailer out for the new Star Trek:

Star Trek 2017 - CBS.com
Old 05-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yep 2017 I said, that's when a New Star Trek series is going to start on CBS. It will start on the network them move exclusively to CBS digital subscription service-which I didn't know existed. 2017 is a long way away but I suspect my fellow Trekkers will protest mightily they don't have "free" access to a new Trek show:

New Star Trek TV Series Official Details Released | Comicbook.com

I cancelled cable about 8 months ago now and during the NCAA tournament I subscribed to the CBS network for a month so I could watch their programming and the Roku app was the worst. It lagged a lot, it failed to load many times, it skipped and just reset sometimes too. I hope they get this figured out, most other distributors have.

On a side note, this is one of the best things about a la carte TV, or whatever you want to call it.....I want CBS for a month, I can do that, then cancel. Then I want Hulu for 2months, I can do that, then cancel. Oh now it is baseball season, Sling TV for the summer and Yankee games. I can mix and match however often I like with no connection/cancellation fees whatsoever!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

And the show and ship have a name: Star Trek: Discovery.

Star Trek Introducing the U.S.S. Discovery

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-26-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #9
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And the show and ship have a name: Star Trek: Discovery.

Star Trek Introducing the U.S.S. Discovery

So the shorthand for this show is STD?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Hopefully the first episode is them traveling to Uranus to catch crabs. Space crabs.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

well they are going to show a progressive future like in all Treks, so why not a sexually-transmitted disease?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
oykib
College Starter

I'm comfortable making the prediction that this new Star Trek will very quickly surpass Game of Thrones as the top show on TV...

...for getting file-shared.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Critch
lolzcat

The title is "2017 TV Thread" but so far it should be "2017 Star Trek". So I'm going to mention a different 2017 tv show.

First trailer for American Gods is out, and based on 1:40 it looks like it's going to be good.

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
Thomkal
Head Coach

How dare you mess up my Star Trek thread Critch! Not a big Neil Gaiman fan, so probably won't watch that one. But I guess its okay to talk about it in this thread
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #15
Critch
lolzcat

I'm the same with Gaiman, American Gods is the only book of his that I got to the end of and I liked the idea more than the actual story. So hoping the Starz version isnt a faithful retelling of the book.

Ian McShane for Mr Wednesday should be good casting though.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ian McShane for anyone is good casting. I mean they could have cast him as Daenerys Targaryen and I would have been good for it.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

Dorothy is definitely not in Kansas anymore:

Here's the first trailer for NBC's modern Wizard of Oz series Emerald City | Blastr
Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #18
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

So, it's "Tin Man" without Zooey Deschanel. Actually, watching it again, it's more of a Once Upon A Time take on it. I loved Tin Man and Wicked, so I'll definitely watch this as well.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-26-2016 at 07:03 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
So, it's "Tin Man" without Zooey Deschanel. Actually, watching it again, it's more of a Once Upon A Time take on it. I loved Tin Man and Wicked, so I'll definitely watch this as well.

I think that's a pretty good description. Maybe with some Game of Thrones tossed in.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #20
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Nobody watched Sherlock???
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
I'm the same with Gaiman, American Gods is the only book of his that I got to the end of and I liked the idea more than the actual story. So hoping the Starz version isnt a faithful retelling of the book.

Ian McShane for Mr Wednesday should be good casting though.
+1 for that. The idea was great, but the book felt like a depressing slog for me. This at least looks like it has good direction and visuals, so I'll check it out.

Oz seems similar. I'm sure they'll PG it a lot, but the visuals look fantastic for a network show (and they at least seem committed to having it as a 10-episode miniseries), so it'll be worth a shot.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

I'll watch American Gods because it looks interesting and Ian McShane is great. But Gaiman is the most overrated author on the planet.

Unfortunately there aren't any new shows I'm interested in this year. Maybe The Deuce on HBO. Ozark from Netflix seems kind of interesting but that's not till late 2017. I'm more of a drama fan and it doesn't seem like a great year for it although something always breaks through.

Otherwise I'm excited about the final season of Leftovers and Halt & Catch Fire.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:17 AM   #23
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Victorian England isn't usually my cup of tea, and I can't 100% tell what genre it'll fall into, but I could watch Tom Hardy read a phone book, so I'll add Taboo (FX, next Tuesday) to the list I'm excited for. I think it's technically a series, though maybe it'll be seperately contained arcs like AHS or True Detective.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
But Gaiman is the most overrated author on the planet.

Said no one ever who has read Sandman.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm looking forward to Taboo.

Legion looks really interesting. I mean, it's from the guy who made the Fargo TV series. That alone would make it a "must see", but throw in some X-Men/mutant action and I'm there.

I'm excited for American Gods. Great cast, very good source material.

That "Young Pope" show doesn't look all that appealing to me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #26
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Gaiman bashing in this thread is mind-blowing to me. To each their own, but man.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The Gaiman bashing in this thread is mind-blowing to me. To each their own, but man.

Agreed.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

MST3K page is live one Netflix. Not sure of the debut date, but the page is there now.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I'm looking forward to Taboo.

Legion looks really interesting. I mean, it's from the guy who made the Fargo TV series. That alone would make it a "must see", but throw in some X-Men/mutant action and I'm there.

I'm excited for American Gods. Great cast, very good source material.

That "Young Pope" show doesn't look all that appealing to me.

I'm with you on these. Taboo looks like it will be really really good or really really bad, but interesting regardless.

Legion looks like a very interesting take on Marvel stuff (which I'm good with because I'm tired of the Marvel verse otherwise) and it stars Dan Stevens!

American Gods looks pretty interesting, but I have to find out if I want to get Starz for 3 months, or just right after the final episode for one month and then cancel it (maybe can do the same for the Star Trek show).

The Young Pope is strange to me. It seems almost too soap opera-ish for HBO (like channeling the cheese of True Blood, which I thought it was leaving behind), so there has to be something else there, right?

I'm also interested in The Handmaid’s Tale, which is coming out for Hulu in the Spring.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-04-2017 at 03:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #30
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I can't wait. Given what I was going through personally when the first season aired, this show has always had some deeper meaning for me.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Leftovers Season 3 might be enough to get me to subscribe to HBO again.

I mean, the hotel episode from Season 2. C'mon, that was amazing.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #33
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Fantastic show. I subscribe to HBO for 3 months out of the year and just catch up on Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, the Wire etc... Can't wait to get it over the summer for the Leftovers, Game of Thrones, Westworld, and The Night Of.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Can't wait for Season 3. S2 blew me away, maybe partially because my expectations were on the low side after S1.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Leftovers is one of my favorite all time shows. I loved Season 1 and then was shocked that Season 2 was even better, so I really excited for Season 3. Interestingly they are moving again to Australia - I wonder if there is any symbolism in their moving down every year (from New York State to Texas to Australia).

Anyways, speaking of HBO, I am intrigued in watching The Young Pope. It's definitely far more interesting than I expected, but it's moving fairly slow. I hear, though (from folks who already saw it in Europe), that it really picks up in Eps 6-7 and becomes absolutely amazing... so I'm cautiously optimistic for that.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #36
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Anyways, speaking of HBO, I am intrigued in watching The Young Pope. It's definitely far more interesting than I expected, but it's moving fairly slow. I hear, though (from folks who already saw it in Europe), that it really picks up in Eps 6-7 and becomes absolutely amazing... so I'm cautiously optimistic for that.

I thought it looked horrible and had no interest in it, until I heard someone talking about how it had a very dark comedy aspect to it. Is that true or did I just catch someone overselling? That's very different than what I took from the initial trailer but would be much more interested if that was the case.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, yeah.. has some very dark comedy elements in it.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #38
Radii
Head Coach

Can't wait for Leftovers Season 3. I'm one of the ones that even loved season 1, so I feel incredibly invested in this one and seeing how they end things.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #39
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I thought it looked horrible and had no interest in it, until I heard someone talking about how it had a very dark comedy aspect to it. Is that true or did I just catch someone overselling? That's very different than what I took from the initial trailer but would be much more interested if that was the case.

Yeah, I saw so many trailers for this when watching Westworld and thought it would be awful, but then I saw it was created and directed by Paolo Sorrentino. I'm not much of a movie person but La Grande Bellezza by him is one of my favorites, so I gave it a shot. Young Pope has that same kind of dark humor to it, and even without that Jude Law plays such a hilariously over-the-top asshole that it's worth watching.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:42 PM   #40
Logan
Head Coach

Yeah same thing...saw it pop up before every Westworld episode and it didn't interest me at all, which really never happens with a new HBO show.

I'll plan on giving it a shot.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 PM   #41
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend The Good Place. Very funny and thoughtful with terrific performances by Ted Danson and Kristen Bell. The first season is all done and only 13 episodes. Very easy to polish off in a weekend.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #42
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw the premier of SIX on History last week. Enjoyed it and looking forward to tonight's episode.

Don't expect a deep plot or great acting but there were lots of good action.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:46 PM   #43
thealmighty
Pro Starter

The Magicians is back.

Black Sails is back.

The 100 is back.

Good times... I hope.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Man, Legion was fantastic! Everything I hoped it would be! And as much of a mindfuck as I wished for - and what about the final tracking shot? Wow!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #45
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Nobody watched Sherlock???

Honestly I didn't know it even happened. I love British series for basically taking however many episodes are needed to tell a story, but I hate how unreliably spaced seasons can be. I often find I forget that the show even exists by the time the next dribble of a season comes out.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #46
Edward64
Head Coach

The Young Pope has caught my interest. Its strange and don't quite understand it all (missed some episodes) but looking forward to next week.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #47
Jas_lov
College Starter

The last Sherlock season was ok. The 1st episode was awful. I like the Toby Jones one the best.

Anybody stick with Taboo? I watched the first two episodes and it was very slow.

The Missing is finally back for Season 2 on Starz this Sunday. Hopefully it's as good as the 1st season.

Not many good shows on right now. Seems like all the best ones start in March/April - GoT, Better Caul Saul, The Americans, Fargo, The Leftovers.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
The last Sherlock season was ok. The 1st episode was awful. I like the Toby Jones one the best.

Anybody stick with Taboo? I watched the first two episodes and it was very slow.

The Missing is finally back for Season 2 on Starz this Sunday. Hopefully it's as good as the 1st season.

Not many good shows on right now. Seems like all the best ones start in March/April - GoT, Better Caul Saul, The Americans, Fargo, The Leftovers.

I haven't seen any of the new Sherlocks yet, though I have heard mixed reviews.

I have stuck with Taboo, but I'm not loving it. I get what they are trying to do - I think - but it's not working really. It's actually already feeling a bit repetitive only a few episodes in.

I recorded Legion last night and look forward to watching that tomorrow.

Season 2 of the Expanse started last week. It's been great. Really enjoying it.

I don't mind a bit of a lull. It gives me time to visit some Netflix/Amazon shows I haven't quite watched and catch up on movies and documentaries and the like.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I summarized 2-3 articles on my FB feed, so I'll just repurpose that summary & post it here

Just as female-targeted Oxygen announced earlier this month that they will re-focus after the summer and become a 7-day-a-week "true crime" network, male-targeted Spike was similarly given the ax this week, to be rebranded and replaced soon by something called Paramount Network, to air primarily movies from the Paramount library and shows from other Viacom owned properties.

It was also announced that six Viacom channels would become core properties with others (including VH1 and TVLand) getting fewer resources and attention. That appears to be code for "we'll move the best of the other networks stuff to the new Paramount channel before shutting the others down"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am caught up on The Expanse, and agreed, HB, I am very interested to see where it goes (I haven't read the books).

Walking Dead back on Sunday, and looking forward to it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote