Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #1601
Ryan S
Quarterback

Chelsea made the game difficult to watch. After the first half display from Chelsea I was really hoping Bayern would win.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #1602
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
so i guess thatīs it for the Euro as well, donīt see how those guys come back from this within 2 weeks or so...

This might make them more hungry, though they need to hit the ground running in the group of death.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #1603
whomario
Pro Starter

I agree on the officiating, that was top notch.

This Chelsea run compares favourably to Greeceīs Euro run, only with bigger names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
This might make them more hungry, though they need to hit the ground running in the group of death.

I guess theyīd have been "hungry" after loosing in the semifinal and final 3 tournaments in a row with the NT ... Iīm starting to fear that this golden generation doesnīt have the mental makeup. Dortmund (who have 5 NT players as well) also choked in the CL 2 years in a row, the losses in 06, 08 and ī10 , Bayern loosing 2 CL finals in 3 years...

What happened to "Itīs a game of 22 guys running around and in the end, the Germans win" ?

Right now i hope that once the game start they will bounce back and play their attractive football (even more so that Bayern who are kind of predictable) and i can enjoy that again, but at some point an international title would be nice.

Canīt believe that iīm this gutted. I really am not a Bayern fan, but itīs basically the NT plus Ribbery and Robben...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1604
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree on the officiating, that was top notch.

This Chelsea run compares favourably to Greeceīs Euro run, only with bigger names.

Fair comparison, really. The Cech/Terry/Lampard/Drogba core does deserve a CL title, but this year's Bayern didn't deserve to be the ones to give it to them (except in the sense where if you finish that badly you can't complain too much about getting sucker punched).

I suspect I'll wind up rooting for Bayern in most of their non-Chelsea ties next year, even as a supporter of the winning team it was hard watching Schweinsteiger's reaction.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #1605
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Yawn. Don't worry, Two and a Half Men will be on later.

I never said I don't like it, I'm watching the game. But much like the national title game with Butler-UConn a few years ago the first 82 minutes weren't exactly an earth shattering showcase for the sport. If you stuck with it you certainly got the payoff. Hell, even the announcers were saying it wasn't the game they hoped for prior to the first score.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #1606
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I never said I don't like it, I'm watching the game. But much like the national title game with Butler-UConn a few years ago the first 82 minutes weren't exactly an earth shattering showcase for the sport. If you stuck with it you certainly got the payoff. Hell, even the announcers were saying it wasn't the game they hoped for prior to the first score.

Agree with you 100% and never understood why soccer always has to be something that only the sophisticated can follow and understand. I love soccer and I love the NBA. I like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones but I also enjoy Two and a Half Men reruns and will even watch Real Housewives if the wife has it on. Does my soccer fandom get revoked for admitting this?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #1607
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

I just don't care what the average American thinks about soccer. Never have, never will.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #1608
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I just don't care what the average American thinks about soccer. Never have, never will.

Well you should if you want to continue to get mainstream coverage.

American soccer fans get all butt hurt every time anyone is even vaguely critical of the sport. They come across as acting like the average person just doesn't understand the sport or isn't sophisticated enough to get it. Like there is some big secret and only soccer fans are in on it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #1609
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

See ya next year Lathum. Or maybe the year after when the World Cup is on.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #1610
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Well you should if you want to continue to get mainstream coverage.

American soccer fans get all butt hurt every time anyone is even vaguely critical of the sport. They come across as acting like the average person just doesn't understand the sport or isn't sophisticated enough to get it. Like there is some big secret and only soccer fans are in on it.

Because every big game is constantly viewed as a referendum on the sport. Other sports don't have to put up with this bullshit, and it shouldn't be treated seriously by fans of the sport.

I don't see posts in here talking about why the Chelsea-Napoli 2nd leg being why americans should love soccer.

And viewership numbers speak for themselves. This country gets massive numbers for the big competitions, and marginal numbers for club stuff. I'm fine with that. There is WAY more soccer on TV then there was even 5 years ago. I think i know who's winning.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #1611
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Because every big game is constantly viewed as a referendum on the sport. Other sports don't have to put up with this bullshit, and it shouldn't be treated seriously by fans of the sport.

I don't see posts in here talking about why the Chelsea-Napoli 2nd leg being why americans should love soccer.

And viewership numbers speak for themselves. This country gets massive numbers for the big competitions, and marginal numbers for club stuff. I'm fine with that. There is WAY more soccer on TV then there was even 5 years ago. I think i know who's winning.

Thanks for your rational reply, it is appreciated.

Like it or not every big game is a referendum for the sport. You say yourself later in your post the country gets massive numbers for marquee games. Well that is how they grow viewership, and when someone turns into what is arguably the years biggest game to see what the hype is and it is a boring game it makes people question what all the hype is all about.

Personally I'm glad there is more soccer on, I'm a fan. I attend and watch Sounders games when I can, but I am by no stretch hardcore. The thing is my comment wasn't even a negative one or how I perceive soccer. It was a passing comment on the game, and one I think is accurate, and Sov jumped all over it like I had insulted his mother. So instead of having an intelligent dialogue about it he got all butt hurt and took his ball and went home after making some lame parting shot.

By comparison, a few months back FOX had their first broadcast of MMA, a match that was supposed to be a great heavyweight title fight between two stars of the sport. The program leading up to the actual fight was about 45 minutes and the fight lasted 20 seconds. I watched the entire thing with a hardcore MMA fan, and after the fight was left wondering what the hype was. In the MMA thread here fans of the sports admitted the fight was a dud and a terrible showcase for the sport. They didn't get all bent out of shape the was soccer fans do.

If I came in here saying soccer sucked, it's boring, no scoring, etc... I would understand a reaction, but I merely made a passing comment about the state of soccer in America and was met with the stereotypical elitist soccer fan reaction.

Last edited by Lathum : 05-20-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #1612
Grover
Pro Starter

Rumors circulating that Eden Hazard is going to announce he's signed for Manchester United after the Ligue 1 season is finished in France.

If true, this is exactly what United need. I've watched a lot of Lille the past couple of years and he is a special, special player.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #1613
Alf
Pro Starter

Same information here in France. $40M transfert and Hazard signed for 5 seasons for $10M per season.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #1614
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Montpellier needed a draw at Auxerre to clinch the French league today, their game had been stopped three times and is now suspended because the home fans kept throwing tennis balls, toilet paper, and tomatoes onto the field.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #1615
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

In other news, Wesley Sneijder signed for United last season.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 05-20-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #1616
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like Fox Soccer Channel only paid for the satellite signal til the scheduled end of the Montpellier of the game, because it's just cut out with 7 minutes to go.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #1617
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
In other news, Wesley Sneijder signed for United last season.

Notice that I prefaced the statement by saying it was a rumor.

I hope one day West Ham wins the title so I can act like a total dick to everybody.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #1618
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not a single reliable source was tossing that around today. The fact of the matter is that United cannot afford Eden Hazard. I did read that they are signing a young lad from Crewe though.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #1619
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i think epl sawker can and will be popular in the us.

on the flip side mls games are a mixed bag. i was pleasantly surprise at the impact-red bulls game. exciting, free flowing, great passing.

but that goddamn chivas-galaxy game the other night was an abortion.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1620
whomario
Pro Starter

last big club game of the season starting in 30 minutes, spanish cup final between Atletic Bilbao and Barca. Last game for Guardiola

LIVE Athletic Bilbao - FC Barcelona ::: Free Sport Live Streams / Videos

official stream, hope it doesnīt just work in germany but also for you guys.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #1621
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
I hope one day West Ham wins the title so I can act like a total dick to everybody.

Nah he was a dick before they won too.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #1622
whomario
Pro Starter

Barca easily wins, 3:0 after 25 minutes and also the end result.

Another stunning goal to pass the time :

Thatīs a rocket of a shot, that thing propably breaks bones when it hits someone. Letīs juts say i wouldnīt volunteer to stand in the wall there
Old 05-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #1623
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Final USA roster for the upcoming games, three friendlies against Scotland (h), Brazil (h), and Canada (a) followed by the first two matches of World Cup Qualifying against Antigua & Barbuda (h) and Guatemala (a) -

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers), Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

I'll be in Jacksonville tomorrow for the Scotland game, looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll do a bit better than the last time I saw the national team in person, when USA lost 2-1 to Panama in Tampa last summer during the group stage of the Gold Cup.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #1624
whomario
Pro Starter

Hey, i can now claim that my cousin played against a current national team player this season (Terrence Boyd played all his games for the reserve squad of Dortmund in the 4th division, my cousin plays there on and off and 1 of his 2 starts came against that Dortmund side )

Will be hard rooting for you guys with an ass like Jones on the field ...
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #1625
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Boyd actually got a few minutes of playing time at the end of our 1-0 win against Italy a few months ago. You could have been claiming this for quite some time now. That is pretty cool, for sure.

Still a bit strange that we select players who appear that far down on league pyramids, you think there would be a decent MLS striker we could put on the bench. Maybe he is being viewed as a potential star of the future and Klinsmann wants him to train with some of the veteran players or something.

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #1626
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Boyd actually got a few minutes of playing time at the end of our 1-0 win against Italy a few months ago. You could have been claiming this for quite some time now. That is pretty cool, for sure.

Still a bit strange that we select players who appear that far down on league pyramids, you think there would be a decent MLS striker we could put on the bench. Maybe he is being viewed as a potential star of the future and Klinsmann wants him to train with some of the veteran players or something.

decent MLS striker?

These words don't belong in the same sentence together unless preceeded by the phrase "there isn't"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #1627
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Boyd (and Corona)are "stars of the future" as you put it. Both played for the U21 team recently. I'm sure Dortmund has Boyd playing down there to get more seasoning, guareented time on the pitch, etc.

Wondo is really the only MLS stricker to fit the fill, and that ain't saying much. He looked out of his depth last go around.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #1628
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

You don't think we could call up a Will Bruin or something, give him a shot? We know Kenny Cooper isn't a great player but he's banging them in this season, isn't there a chance that someone with 11 goals in 13 MLS games could be of some use for us?

Boyd did show some talent during our abortion of an Olympic qualifying campaign, I'll give him that. I'm still pissed about that goal Sean Johnson let in.

edit: reply to DT's post

Last edited by Big Fo : 05-25-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #1629
whomario
Pro Starter

I think Klinsmannīs thinking here is basically "i donīt need guys on the bench that i know are decent but wonīt ever be really good enough to actually improve our team or challenge for regular starts" and rather tries out players there that might still have that extra potential rather than give roster spots to 27,28 year olds.

Itīs not like you are desperate up front for a short term solution either with Altidore, Dempsey and Donovan it really is about bench spots and playing a few minutes here or there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Yeah, just saw that as well. My cousin actually isnīt very interested in soccer when heīs not playing himself, canīt say this news will excite him all that much

@ dacman : As said i canīt say much about him, but from what iīve read he was transfered in last summer specifically for the B Team to enable 2 other striker to get loaned out to 2nd division clubs and still keep the B team competitive (they actually just got promoted to 3rd division, in big part due to Boyd scoring 20 goals)
Maybe this added exposure will make him interesting for other clubs.

Last edited by whomario : 05-25-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #1630
Grover
Pro Starter

Ugh. Beckerman doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the side.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #1631
Grover
Pro Starter

Whelan is claiming that Liverpool have made Roberto Martinez an offer.

Liverpool will be my #2 team in the Prem behind West Ham if they hire Roberto.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #1632
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Ugh. Beckerman doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the side.

I think Bradley + Edu/Jones will be the most likely combo in the games that matter. Assuming we play with two midfielders sitting deeper, Donovan + Dempsey + another in front of them, and then Altidore.

I'm annoyed that for the Guatemala game, due to the CONCACAF rules where the home team controls the broadcasting rights for both countries, the game will not be on regular TV here. It's either a $30 PPV order, hoping you can find a bar showing the game, or relying on some kind of illegal stream.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #1633
Easy Mac

League 1 championship went to penalties. 6 of the first 8 missed then the next 12 hit, setting up keeper v. keeper. First keeper drills it thought the hands of the Sheffield keeper. The Sheefield keeper comes up, arguably the player of the game, drills it over the crossbar. I don't think I've seen a penal shoot out actually play through all 11 players.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #1634
Grover
Pro Starter

Alex Smithies is awesome. It's surprising Hudds have kept him this long without a Premier League team to come calling for him.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #1635
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

hes been a hot prospect in the last few FM's too. so its not like hes been hiding
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #1636
AlexB
Pro Starter

But behind the 98 year old Ian Bennett most of this season at Huddersfield!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #1637
whomario
Pro Starter

So, Germany looses 3-5 to Switzerland Sure the Bayern players were missing (and that really is significant since itīs likely 6 starters and 2 key reserves) but that was ugly defensively ... Even with the Bayern players missing and them being in prep training i would have hoped for a better game.
Offensively a couple guys looked good in the 2nd half, Klose looking in shape (missed the last 2 months of the season with an injury and also missed parctice a few times with the team) was propably the best news as far as the projected starting 11 goes.
Felt terrible for the young 20 year old GK Ter Stegen who made his debut and had a stinker ...

Good news is that it really is not unusual (just a bit more bad than usual), also shown by the other teams. The 3 german group oponents all played today, Denmark lost 1:3 to brazil (could have been much higher, too), Portugal played 0:0 against Macedonia and Netherlands 1:2 against Bulgaria.

Last edited by whomario : 05-26-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #1638
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

6000 deg on the pitch in houston and half the galaxy were wearing long sleeves.

and their brand new downtown stadium was over half empty. wtf houston
Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #1639
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Netherlands 1:2 against Bulgaria.
Excellent, we're right on track!
24/05/1988 Netherlands 1:2 Bulgaria
25/06/1988 Soviet Union 0:2 Netherlands
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1640
AlexB
Pro Starter

THE worst pre game anthems I think I've heard. Screechy wailing for one, and the bagpipes weren't any better!
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #1641
Grover
Pro Starter

She was awful. The bagpipes were most definitely better than her.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #1642
AlexB
Pro Starter

So far USA look a class above Scotland, despite having to borrow Doncaster Rovers' kit
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #1643
Easy Mac

I guess Bradley only got that goal because of nepotism
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1644
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm rankled by how near-impossible the US kit numbers are to see on tv from the wide angles.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #1645
Easy Mac

According to EsPn's starting lineup, the US is playing a 2-7-1
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #1646
Easy Mac

Terrance Boyd looks pretty good. But he has a poor first touch, but not lead feet like most other US forwards. He just always seems to touch it to the wrong spot or is just wrong footed.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #1647
Grover
Pro Starter

Landoooooon!

Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #1648
Easy Mac

This may not be full strength Scotland, but the US doesn't put up 5 very often o actual countries.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 PM   #1649
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

best energy i've ever seen from the us.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #1650
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm rankled by how near-impossible the US kit numbers are to see on tv from the wide angles.

They were impossible to see live at the stadium.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote