Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What do I do about the owner who refuses to pay?
Kick him out of the league - we go from 11 team NL-only to 10 12 70.59%
Lock him out of his account until he's paid in full - then what happens on draft day next year? 5 29.41%
Apply some kind of penalty to his baseball operations - i.e. dock him $50 of this $260 deaft-day budget? 0 0%
Stick a trout in huis rectum. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Fantasy Baseball Commissioner Question

I;m the commissioner of my Rotisserrie Baseball league founded 24 years ago. In the last few years we have had problems getting owners to pay their league fees on time ($300) to the point that 2 years ago I couldn't send out checks to the winners. I've always been sensitive with regards to financial issues people may have and have worked with them to arrange late payments or cover their expenses myself until things worked out. However, the issue from 2 years ago prompted a new rule voted on and approved that states league fees are due the day of the auction/draft. After that, late fees of the lower of $20 or 10% would be applied until the all fees are paid. That year, everyone paid on time except for one guy out of a job who's fees I covered until he could pay me back.

This year one of the owners didn't pay until June. I reminded this person weekly via the website and private email until they paid, at which time I noted the $40 extra they owed from the rule. He refused to pay "on principle". Each month I sent an email reminding this owner of their obligation to the league under our rules and each month said owner refused to pay.

So today I sent my monthly email and said owner replied (in short) "I'm not paying the extra fee, I'm never going to pay it, what are you going to do about it?"

What do I do about it?

Last edited by Toddzilla : 09-02-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
molson
General Manager

How long has he been in the league? Is he a friend?

I'd REALLY want to just kick him out but I'd probably put it to an informal email vote of the other owners. I wouldn't want to risk resentment and blowing up the whole league over this.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I say kick him out, everyone knew the rules. Sounds to me like he is hoping to win some money in the league and just call it even.

TBH I think it absurd to pay such a high fee to play in a league if you are having financial issues.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I'd have him out of the league. We have a real close group of friends who pay $250 to join our fantasy league. We're also very stingy on paying the dues by the day of the draft or else you're out. People can get offended for a day or two but the rule is clear and eventually they'll get over it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

He's a recent addition - the brother of one of our more infamous owners - this is his 3rd year.

Personally, I think he's a jackass, but he's a donor - he'll never win money, not smart enough - but imo not worth the headache.

His brother forced the league to adopt a "3-strikes" rule that whenever you violate the rules to gain a competitive advantage you get a strike. After 3 you get docked draft-dollars ($5 for strike 4, then $10, then $20, etc) and in the first year after the rule he got hit for 7 strikes and lost $75 out of a $260 budget. The current problem owner is up to 5 this year.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

Lock him out first and then throw him out if needed. The lockout essentially keeps his team in the league but inactive. In racing parlance he's been black flagged. If he hasn't paid what is owed by next year, he's out and you bring someone else in.

It's not personal, but it shouldn't be up for discussion. He knew the rules and he doesn't feel like he has to play by them. Once the money is paid, either by him or someone else, he's free to rejoin. Until then, he's out. I would email the other owners and let them know as a courtesy, but I don't believe the subject should be up for debate.

I like Neuqua's rule - you pay by the draft or you don't play. Nips things in the bud...

Last edited by Blackadar : 09-02-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I had this situation in my football fantasy league where I am the commish. We have 12 teams and one guy (somewhat work related) moved on to a new company and didn't want to be in. Fine, it happens and he gave me plenty of time to replace him. So, I ask a guy at work and I know he has "religious issues" with gambling so I made sure he was OK posting the league fee. He said that he was and would just look at it like a subscription for a web service and if he won - he would just donate the money. Sounds good.

Well, the Friday before the Saturday draft, I get a text from him saying that he just doesn't think he can pay the fee and thinks he should still be in the league and we figure something out. So, I verify that he is sure he can't pay and he says yes. So, I kicked him out that night and found a replacement by Saturday morning. It sucked in some ways, because I like the guy. But, everyone in the league was happy about it as many owners had issues with one not paying.

I say look for a replacement and I also agree with the "pay by the draft" rule.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I voted for lock him out and if he isn't current by a reasonable time next year find a replacement owner.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Sorta update - I reached out to this guy and toldhim that no one wants to see him walk and that with the understanding of the other owners we can accept that he pay only half of the money he still owes.

"Do what you gotta do, man" was his response.

So I'm kicking him out of the league this Fridaybarring any sudden change of heart on his part.

The good news is we've already got another guy on board to take his place, so we'll actually be improving the quality of people in the league next year.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Travis
Pro Rookie

Sounds like he's looking for an excuse to not be in the league any more but doesn't want to be the one to walk away. Being willing to bend the rules for him sets a precedent for future situations, just cut him and move on whether the current backup option you mention works or not.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Blackadar
Retired

I'm starting to think that we should combine a couple of poll options - boot him then stick a trout in his ass.

Guy I work with talked about the same problem today with an NFL Fantasy league. I said to boot the guy immediately and if you can't find someone else to pay to play that team, just have someone run it independently (no monetary rewards though) so the rest of the league can still have its fun.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Resolution: He started dropping guys from his team last night so I locked him out of the site and kicked him out of the league this afternoon.